PDA

View Full Version : Rob's June 2013 Sketches

robertsloan2
06-13-2013, 05:37 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2013/70184-WDE-June-9-2013-loverskey.jpg
WDE 6-7-2013 Lovers Key
Derwent Watercolour Pencil with wash and dry in S&B Beta sketchbook

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2013/70184-SpotlightPear1-Darker.jpg
Spotlight Pear - Color Conte on Bogus Rough Recycled paper done 6-13-2013

Moderator, please please turn these right side up. I can't get gimp for the Mac and don't have the new laptop yet to be able to process the photos properly. After tomorrow will not have this problem. Thanks.

YAY I am back. Rather than revive the plenitude of old threads I'm going to go to monthly sketch threads, especially since I am reviving my Sketchwall with my Spotlight Pear.

I took down all of it and now I'm starting a new collection of wall sketches to brighten my room. Most will be in some form of color medium cause it's to brighten up my room.

vhere
06-13-2013, 11:53 AM
It's nice to see you back :)

These will certainly add colour and cheer.

DrDebby
06-13-2013, 04:20 PM
Wondered where you'd wandered off to. Glad to see you back. The pear is just full of light.

Joan T
06-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Yeah, so good to see you back posting! I like the strength of the color in the landscape and the pear. Nice!!

Joan T
06-13-2013, 09:22 PM
You can upload to www.phixr.com and resize, rotate, etc for free. I used to use it all the time. You don't even have to download anything.

RainySea
06-14-2013, 12:14 AM
Hello Robert. . . welcome back!!! We have missed you here very much. So glad to see your work again.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Here are your photos flipped.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2013/132279-loverskey.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2013/132279-SpotlightPear1-Darker.jpg

Queenie83
06-14-2013, 02:48 PM
I really like the first sketch!

robertsloan2
06-17-2013, 12:49 AM
Purr! Thank you!

Today's is from the Oil Pastel Challenge (June), hosted by aolaranora. Great photos in it. Of course I had to do the cat first!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2013/70184-OP-Challenge-Cat-RAS.JPG

Neopastels oil pastels on S&B Beta sketchbook. Same one as those trees. Thank you for rotating my sketches!

I have Gimp now so it's easier to rotate things and color correct them. I even resize before posting again. Yay for the new laptop! I might try that site sometime though.

robertsloan2
06-17-2013, 06:13 PM
And another challenge, the WDE...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2013/70184-Chicago_Buildings.JPG
Chicago buildings and river
Sakura Koi watercolor on Stillman & Birn Beta journal heavy WC paper
Photo reference by savatage

Just watercolor, wanted to fool around with looser watercolor renderings. Spent about 3 hours waiting for that sky to dry before painting the rest over it.

Eye
06-17-2013, 07:04 PM
The Chicago scene is wonderful.

DrDebby
06-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Cute kitty. Lovely skyline watercolor. Aren't those S&B sketchbooks delightful to work in?

Dragoon
06-17-2013, 07:56 PM
..and it was worth the wait! That sky is the best part of a piece done well!

The kitty is cute. You can see Robert Style coming through...just shaking the rust from your fingertips, lol...can't wait to see some new Ari, though!
Cheers,
D.

sketchbookbinder
06-18-2013, 12:46 AM
Robert, I am so glad to see you back!

Michael

robertsloan2
06-18-2013, 02:59 AM
Purrr thank you! Yep, shaking the rust from fingertips! Oh yes the Stillman & Birn journal is a joy to me. I love my S&B journals.

Chicago was a bit of a stretch because I did so many tight watercolors and never approached an architectural subject loose like that. I had the sky perfect and it was soggy and took forever to dry, wasn't sure it wouldn't turn too light when dry, one of those "what is it going to do?" moments. Thanks to S&B massively tough paper, no soak-through to wreck the painting on the other side (those bare trees wasteland) and it dried nice and flat again too.

I was so amazed it dried flat. That was the other thing I worried about as it was cockling during the soggy sky-wash - but I'd forgotten how well that paper dries back to shape. Cockling did move the color around but not in bad ways at all. Little patches dried fastest and when color went past them hit random hard edges too, that was all so accidental and spontaneous and I was just responding to what the paint did.

I want to try this again, definitely! Skies are going to be fun for a while!

And cats of course. >^..^< I'll see if I can get some more Ari sketches in.

Joan T
06-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Nice loose look to the Chicago view. I like the cat on the rock...not surprised you picked that one. lol It is great that the S&B papers rebound so well.

gakinme
06-18-2013, 11:07 PM
Glad to see you sketching again, Robert. The pear is so luminous and outstanding.

MartinaL
06-19-2013, 01:00 AM
Beautiful sketches! I really like the cat :)

Martina

robertsloan2
06-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Purr thank you! I'm thinking of zooming on the cat to do a portrait face, or doing the pansy from the soft pastels challenge. Not sure what's next.

Pwnderosa
06-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Love that view of the Chicago river, what a wonderful loose watercolor sketch!

Green Explorer
06-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Very fine work - love the Chicago skyline especially

robertsloan2
06-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Thank you! I lived in Chicago throughout most of the 80s and used to see the river daily on my commute to work. Memory came into that watercolor as much as the photo reference.

Yesterday I had my therapy appointment and as usual had to schedule Paratransit for an hour before the appointment to be sure of getting there on time. The van showed up promptly and had hardly any traffic, so I was down there almost an hour before it started! I sat outside on my power scooter and sketched with Derwent watercolour pencils.

I intended to wash this sketch but liked its look dry. Of course as soon as I was done, a raindrop hit my head so I closed it and scooted inside. On my way out it was still raining, but the receptionist gave me a large ziplock bag from his lunch that the entire sketchbook fit into! It was nice and safe for the 25 minutes I had to sit out getting soggy.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2013/70184-Church_Life_Sketch_005.jpg
7" x 10"
Life drawing of red brick church in San Francisco on South Van Ness street. Derwent watercolour pencils used dry. 45 minutes.

I still can't believe the rain waited until I finished drawing before it started. That's just considerate weather!

DrDebby
06-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Cool sketch. Very considerate weather. Wish mine were that considerate. :lol:

Joan T
06-26-2013, 09:39 PM
How lucky that the rain didn't spoil your sketch! Great use of your waiting time.

RainySea
06-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Very cool sketch, Robert. Good that the weather cooperated with your drawing and that the receptionist had a nice plastic jacket for it to ride home in safely.

Dragoon
06-27-2013, 06:48 PM
That building has a very interesting structure, you got a lot of the details in! Very nice!
And thanks for the story, and the reminder to pick out all the good points in one's day! (Some one else might have complained that it rained at all..)
Cheers,
D.

robertsloan2
06-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Thank you! I was happily surprised to find out it's the Korean church and that a friend used my sketch to hunt for it on Google Maps - and recognized it! I got it accurately enough it could be recognized! That's a biggie for me in architectural sketching.

Today's sketches, I finished the Traffic Cone page.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2013/70184-Traffic_Cones_001.JPG
Traffic Cones Page
7" x 10" Stillman & Birn Beta journal
Derwent Art Bars, Graphitint pencil and wash, Sakura Koi watercolor
The top one done with Art Bars was older, the other two sketched today.

So my S&B journal is moving along nicely. I've got the facing page of the Korean church to paint next.

robertsloan2
06-28-2013, 11:28 PM
Another sketch today, this time from a photo I took in the hospital garden. The roses were blooming, so I snapped photos and just sketched from one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2013/70184-Graphitint_Rose_003.JPG
Graphitint Rose
7" x 10" Stillman & Birn Beta Journal
Derwent Graphitint watersoluble graphite colored pencils.
From my own photo.

DrDebby
06-29-2013, 01:58 PM
Great sketches. The rose is really lovely.

robertsloan2
06-29-2013, 04:34 PM
Thank you! LOL - I have been having fun with the traffic cones and might try some more of those when I'm outside again. It's like those exercises of drawing basic geometric forms, except they're actually there as models and their square bases are fun for eyeballing perspective.

I love doing the roses. Next week I want to try doing the roses from life, stay an hour late after my shot and just hang out in the garden.

RainySea
06-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Excellent traffic cones (and interesting subject but perfect for a city dweller like yourself!)

Lovely rose. . . the shape and color is so soft and I'm always amazed at how folks use the watersoluble pencils. They are not easy to handle at all, for me at least. Good work! BTW, saw the photos you posted in the travel thread. Beautiful flowers and architecture.

Joan T
06-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Great job on the rose!!! Nice sketches of the traffic cones.

robertsloan2
06-30-2013, 04:00 PM
Purr thanks both of you! Rainy, for a long time the watersolubles were tough for me. I finally got it, helps a lot to get in the darks and leave some of the middle tones bare paper to wash into them. I put way too much pencil on with most of my watersoluble pencils at first.

That and when there's a hard edge, pull water in the direction of the dark area and not into the light. I've gotten some practice. Helps a lot using waterbrush - the water in handle one. I have some Niji ones as good as the Sakura one that came in the Koi set.

Glad you liked the photos. Please enjoy and draw from them if you want.

Joan, thank you! It's fun doing traffic cones, they're like drawing exercises come to life. Next time I'm outside I'll probably do them again.

robertsloan2
06-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Sketchwall again! This time an oil pastel challenge photo.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2013/70184-Monterey_Tree_009.JPG
Monterey Tree
9" x 12"
Neocolor II on Bogus Recycled Rough Sketch paper
Photo reference from June 2013 Oil Pastel Challenge

Not altogether happy with it but it's bright and obvious from a distance, makes the sketch wall lively again.

DrDebby
07-01-2013, 02:09 PM
It is bright and colorful. Just the thing to liven up a wall in a room.

robertsloan2
07-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Purr thank you! Onward into a new month!

RainySea
07-01-2013, 07:15 PM
I saw that photo and avoided it as a hard one to tackle. . . I think you've captured the essence of the scene and that unusually formed tree wonderfully. I also gives a feel of movement as if the grasses and tree are swaying in a breeze