PDA

View Full Version : ** Daily Wash Wednesday 12th June 2013**

shipbroker
06-11-2013, 10:52 PM
Morning all.

Rain woke me today, not much of that recently

Glad Darla back home OK, pity we didn't meet up but we were less than 40 miles away at one time, you can blame Peter Rabbit for that!!

Plans few tiday, Market for vegetables furst thing and work something out after that New caravan hitch still not located so little chance of going away this week again.

Back later

geoff

villagernb
06-11-2013, 11:30 PM
Morning, Geoff. I'm still up from yesterday. :smug:
It's difficult for humans to compete with Peter Rabbit!

Welcome home, Darla.

Henry, enjoy the exhibition. It looks wonderful. Hope Leslie has some positive results soon.

Bill, your rhodo is breathtaking! People do grow them here, but they don't thrive and tend to be quite small. My DH asked if you said what variety it is. I told him I would ask you. :)

Nancy and Kay, I would like to be an oil magnate! :evil:

See you all after some ZZZZs

Anne

ScarletLake
06-12-2013, 01:49 AM
:wave: :wave: HI Geoff:wave: :wave:

Yep I'm up:eek: :eek:

It's 1:45AM here in OHIO. According to the weather reports we are in for some dangerous storms tonight and Thursday. We got some rain last evening while we were away at a family get together (only 3 miles away) we got some sprinkles there but more here at the house. Saw on my FB that the tornado sirens went off in our town. No tornado but I think we could have some real rough weather later today.

Hope you find a trailer hitch soon and can go camping.

Going to surf the web for awhile.

Anita

Yorky
06-12-2013, 02:19 AM
Good morning all. Dull but dry and not a bad day really.

We plan a morning counrty drive this morning.

Yesterday's visit to the Gerald Durrell zoo was enjoyed by all, we hired two scooters for the ladies, it helped a lot.

Good to see Darla is home safely, sorry you haven't found a hitch yet Geoff, can the other be repaired?

(((Lesley))) all this waiting!

Doug

Lulu
06-12-2013, 03:25 AM
Evening everyone:wave:

Doug, just wondering, are you really in Jersey and not cycling in London today?? Have just seen the news.........:D
I'd include a link but(t) I'd need a butt icon! lol

laudesan
06-12-2013, 04:20 AM
Arrrrrrrrgh. Why me?????????????

Another external Hard drive bites the dust..... What is it and me, and external hard drives. I think it is the same thing as the others. I can see the hard drive in "Safely Remove" But not in "My Computer"

(((((((Lesley))))))))

doppler
06-12-2013, 04:47 AM
Good evening all.

I know no one is going to appreciate it but as I'm sitting in the same dark that I leave home from in the morning. ROLL ON the solstice. :clap:

Endless talk to Loki this morning. NO, you can't go out in air that is blacker than you. Crying at the door. Her, not me. She did a door rush in the neap light and landed on the lawn. Buzzed by bats. Tiny wonderful bats. She didn't leap or try to catch. Was actually scared but the feline world doesn't have that official word. Strategic retreat inside? Absolutely NOT ... its breakfast.:)

Anne, your tanks sound like our tanks without the snowmelt :thumbsup: :eek:

We rely on the roof, or when times are really dry, Samford Springs. that's a water faucet on the side of the road that the water carriers use to fill up. Direct from North Pine Dam and full of chlorine. Hate it but it is wet. Frackers are the last desperate vandals of the world. So there!!! :heart: They will be sniffing out the used cooking oil from the planet soon.:clear:

Anita you are up far too late. Be safe.

Geoff, Doug, Lulu and JJ :wave:

Henry, it seems to me painfully slow for a very serious situation. I hope all those conferences are mapping a coordinated program as they would be.In the meantime just best wishes to Lesley. And you.

Strength :thumbsup:

Uschi
06-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Good Morning!!

Beautiful morning and it is going to be a beautiful day!!!!

No more swimming classes for Ava until Fall. She passed with flying colours!!! Playing table tennis this morning and in the evening I am going to see a movie/documentary about "the Manor", a beautiful old building in my city that was turned into a strip joint quite some time ago. See HERE (http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/movies/2013/03/19/hot_docs_2013_opens_with_canadian_strip_club_tale_the_manor.html)

Henry, I too feel it is taking an awfully long time for your doctors to do something:rolleyes: :confused:

Darla, good to have you back!!!!!

Bill, wonderful photo of your Rhodie!!

Geoff, that is such a shame, you are wasting half the summer away.

Annie, I am as sad as you are glad about the Summer Solstice in a week's time.

JJ, I am sorry you are having such bad luck with your external hard drives.

Doug, keep enjoying!!!!!

Anita, I hope the storms never developed.

:wave: to Anne and Lulu !!!!

Uschi

shipbroker
06-12-2013, 08:06 AM
Very cloudy and rain imminent again....before that nice morning...did not go to market as legs hurt, went for papers and straight home.....

Caravan hitch,none in UK, courier from Germany hopefully here in about 4/5 days so whatever our 10 days in Northumberland are done for......pity as the coast there is dotted with lovely flat wide sands and great castles at Bamburgh, Lindisfarne, Dunstanburgh etc......all very paintable and sellable.

Annie, if I had the 2.9 litre engine in my Ssangyong rather than the faster 2.7I could run it on cooking oil, and many do.

geoff

painterbear
06-12-2013, 08:09 AM
Good Morning all,
It is a few minutes before 8:00 a.m. here in hot, getting even hotter, Oakwood. Sun is shining in a cloud-dotted sky...a portent of the storms that are supposed to hit our area starting tonight and through the night into Thursday morning. Anita's area is going to get it worse than we do at first though, so :crossfingers: the forecasters are wrong this time.

What a way to start the day! At a few minutes before 5:00 a.m. our phone rang. I let the answer machine pick up because most times it is someone who has been partying and dials a number wrong. Anyway, when I came downstairs to listen to the message, it was from our security alarm service saying they had received a fire warning for our residence. I didn't smell any smoke or anything but walked through the house seeing if I detected a fire. Nope! Then a knock at the front door...it was our really nice neighbor Robert saying he had gotten a call about a possible fire at our house and he came to see if we were all right. (He is our emergency contact, that's why they called him.) Profuse apologies for having him disturbed. Larry called them back and they said they detected heat in the basement, so he double checked and couldn't find anything. So we finally decided the system needs to be checked and that sensor possibly replaced. :rolleyes: So, here we are three hours later feeling like it should be 8:00 p.m. instead of a.m. Enough excitement for the day, that's for sure. :eek:

Uschi, Glad your Ava loves swimming and does so well at it. My oldest daughter Kari was a beautiful swimmer when she was Ava's age. Didn't swim competitively, but I used to love to see her glide through the water barely making a splash.

Henry, So sorry it is taking this long to get Leslie's tests and treatment straightened out. :o

Annie and Anne, I can empathize with your water concerns. When we lived in Ankara, there was a big water tank on top of our apartment building but periodically, the kapaci would come around and say the water was going to be stopped or run low. So we would put the stopper in the bathtub and fill it to the top so we could use it for utility purposes. We carried drinking water from the Air Base in big 5 gallon containers because we knew we could trust it's safety. Ankara was a city that grew too big for its natural water supply too quickly. I'm sure by now (30 years later) they must have it fixed. ;)

Well, Larry and I are washing the kitchen and bathroom floors this morning, so I'd better just :wave: to all who were here before me and get busy shaking out the rugs and sweeping up the dust.

SYL,

Sylvia

olliewood0702
06-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm back at my desk at work this morning; back to reality.:D

It's cloudy here and promising storms, some could be severe. I just hope no tornado's.:crossfingers:

I guess they've had a lot of rain lately here but yesterday was sunny and nice; if not a little humid.

Our garden is all up and looking good, Larry was pleased. We still don't have our flowers though so we'd better get busy. Larry will cut our grass today after work; it's pretty long.

I'm making an appointment for the doctor this morning to have him check my knee. I've made up my mind if I've torn my ACL again that I'm not going to have it fixed this time. If it's something else then I might have to have surgery. We will see.

Geoff, I know; I REALLY wanted to meet you.:crying: Next time perhaps.:D

Thinking of (((HENRY & LESLEY))):grouphug:

Sylvia, wow what a FULL day of activity you've had already. I bet the sensor is just dusty or something like that.

I'm glad Doug and Ruth are having a good time.

Hello Anita, you've had some rough weather lately. I don't like severe.

Uschi, CONGRATULATIONS to Ava! That is wonderful. Have fun with your full day's activities.

Oh no JJ....more computer woes.

Annie, I had a chuckle about your Loki.:lol:

Hello there Anne, thanks for the welcome home.

I'm waving to you all who are yet to come to the wash~!

Have a GRAND DAY!:wave: :heart:

CharM
06-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Good morning Washer Buds... The sun is desperately trying to peek out from behind the clouds. It did win the battle yesterday and our afternoon was bright and warm. It's already 19C this morning and should continue to warm a little more. Anita and Sylvia's storms, coming out of the midwest, will likely arrive tomorrow morning here.

I ran into a bit of a problem with my bee, trying to understand his facial features. For some reason, the placement of his feelers and proboscis were giving me a bit of trouble. I've sorted it out thanks to good ole Google Images.

This afternoon I'll be in town leading the third of four sessions from my current Workshop. Ted's going to drive in with me so that he can run his errands while I'm teaching. We're adjusting to having only one vehicle at our disposal reasonably well.

Welcome home Darla and Larry... I'm sure you'll be worn out and very glad that the week is half over... HHD... :)

And Caryl is nicely settled into her new home, making it her own...

Bill, your rhododendrons are gorgeous! You could keep posting photos of them if you like... :)

Henry, I'll add my voice of concern over these delays in Lesley's care... white light blasting to both of you. ((()))

Geoff, that's just too bad that the proper parts aren't easier to get... they've been on order quite awhile, too, eh? I sure hope they're the right ones when they finally arrive!

So, Anne, is there one of those little oil pumps running on your property? :) I was a little surprised that it was so difficult for you to get decent water from drilled wells...

I don't need to tell you to be safe, Anita! But... be safe!

Hiya Doug (and Ruth), Lulu and (((JJ)))...

Annie, do your kitties bring in ticks?? I've found TWO of them in the same number of days. Our three have all be dosed with Revolution, but it's still a worry. Loki's playing with you... :lol:

:clap: Congratulations to Ava, Uschi... and to you too, for being there with her to help her along! Your documentary looks interesting!

Sylvia, that would be kind of scary thinking there might be something smouldering in your home... :( It's so humid here this morning that nothing is drying very quickly...

It's time to get showered and dressed for the day... time waits for no one... I hope that all of you have the very best possible day! :grouphug:

We x-posted ((Darla))... I sure hope there's an easy fix for that knee of yours!

ScarletLake
06-12-2013, 10:33 AM
:wave: :wave:

It's 10:30am and just having a bowl of cereal and reading the weather reports.

Our tornado sirens just got tested. Just read that this storm system expected to come through here tonight is huge covering several states. Straight line winds and hail expected.

I'll be looking outside to make sure that there is not anything that could easily blow over or away on the back patio.

Caryl this is something I'm sure you know alot about --weather systems.

Darla - Glad that you are back and sure hope the knee gets looked at soon. I hear you --on my left side I have my left shoulder, left knee hurting, the right side is rt. hip and also rt. shoulder.

will check in later and will be watching the storm system

Anita

Scene Chaser
06-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Good Day All,
A bright day her with little sun, but quiet and peaceful.

Anne, thanks for the compliment on the photo. The variety of Rhododendron is Roseum Elegans (hardy to -20 F) We’ve had several for nearly twenty years and they blossom profusely every spring. They are a little late this year for some reason. We love them.

Darla, glad you are home safe. Seems like it was all a dream, doesn’t it?

Per Char’s request, here’s another photo of the Rhododendron Roseum Elegans.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2013/83119-Rhodie_2.JPG

Going shopping today.
Bill

painterbear
06-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Hi again,
Taking a bit of a break after finishing washing the floors and returning things to normal. Smells nice and fresh now. Larry is out mowing the grass before the rains arrive.

Have my dinner in the fridge getting chilled. We are having pouched salmon with a cucumber-mayo-yogurt-dill dressing on top of our home-grown lettuce + deviled eggs. A really tasty warm weather meal that is sooo good. One of my favorite ways to make salmon. I pouch it in a fish fume made from clam broth, lemon slices, dill, and white wine. I strain it after using it and freeze it for next time. It just gets richer and richer (and I add a little bit to the dressing to thin it down and flavor it too).

Our wild life tally continues to grow. Yesterday afternoon I looked out the front door to see if the little Oakwood Register paper had arrived to see a rabbit in a bare spot on the grass about 6 ft. out from the porch. I couldn't figure what it was doing there because it was so exposed. Then I realized it was digging a hole in the dirt...trying to make a den???? Anyway, Larry went out on the porch and clapped his hands to make it go away and it just looked at him, like "yeah.....whadda you want????" He finally got it to stop and leave by being a bit more assertive. ;) Then a bit later he said, "I just saw a raccoon stroll past the windows in the front." By the time I saw it, it was in the back yard. So now in addition to the squirrels and chipmunks and all the different kinds of birds, we have rabbits, possums, and raccoons...oh, I almost forgot the deer and the cat I saw strolling through the back yard last week. Enough already!

Darla, Glad you are getting back into the routine. Hope the doctor can help with the knee problem. I'm going to get started on some physical therapy to see if that will help with my arthritic right knee before it gets too much worse. Have you done any PT with your knee?

Char, I saw something interesting about ticks and lyme's disease the other day (can't remember where). It said that a tick has to be on your body sucking blood for something like 24 or 48 hours before the lyme disease will take hold. So it is vitally important to always check yourself (as well as the pets) whenever you've been outdoors where ticks might be and remove them asap.

:wave: again to all who were here between my visits.

SYL,

Sylvia

shipbroker
06-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Afternoon all.....

Keeps getting really dark so shut the windows...then it brightens up again...as long as it isn't raining when I go to play golf in the morning!

Char...yes I had same thought on if the parts were the right ones....but engineer has sent photos and cast numbers so hope OK.

Sylvia.....The only poached fish I like are white sea-fish. Salmon, apart from smoked and tinned, I do not favour but would eat if I had to....Salmon in UK has shot up in price this month due to cold/late Spring affecting rod and net caught catches here.

Loads of small rabbits in the hedgerows out of village but rarely see them here, nor do we see foxes,badgers or deer very often although we are surrounded by fields and woods...the odd grey squirrel pops in from time to time but is usually chased by village cats........One of which sneaked past Eileen sitting in the conservatory the other afternoon and went into the furthest bedroom....I spotted it passing the office and opened the bedroom windows and shut the door......after 10 minutes I went in to shut window and it was sitting behind the curtains spitting at me........so had to throw it out through window....It sat and stared for another 5 minutes.......Unlike most of you we are not cat lovers but both our neighbours animals seem to prefer our garden,and now our house!

geoff

JudyL
06-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Just a quick "Hello" I went for a brisk walk down the street and around the park, went for a slightly longer walk just in time it was getting warmer with each step. But the good news is when I went downstairs in my walking gear, Jack said and I quote "You look thinner!" which made my walk even better!

Now I'm off to hit the showers, bbl.

wcartistsr
06-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Hi to all. Been busy in the garden, finished up my scanned pictures, went clothes shopping, and got a new perm, and had GD.

Darla, glad you are home safe and had such a wonderful trip. I am looking forward to pictures.
Bill, the rhodies are beautiful. I love looking at them. Never have painted one yet.
A belated happy birthday to Ruth. Sounds like you all are having a wonderful time and seeing a lot of sights.
((Henry and Leslie)) I hope they get started with a treatment plan soon. It does seem like they are moving awfully slowly.
Sylva- Seems like you have an awful lot of wild life living in the city. Are you near woods or wetlands? We have wetlands near us so see a lot of deer, turkey, sometimes a fox, squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, sometimes turtles.
The deer are the only things that are pests. Well, the chipmunks are too. We do a lot of spraying for both.

Have a bit of sewing to do this pm, well mending. Also need to figure out dinner. Your pouched salmon sounds good, Sylvia. We like salmon, but I have not fixed it like that. We like it with mango chutney a lot.

Better get moving.

Shirley

olliewood0702
06-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Sylvia, I've not done any PT for my knee yet, we'll see what the doctor says. It's a never ending pain in the patootie trying to keep all the animals out of the veggie garden, isn't it? GRRRR.

Char, oh yeah it IS HUMP DAY isn't it? Whoohoo....we're on our way to the weekend. ;)

Geez Geoff, the neighbor's cats come INTO your home? Don't you have screens on your windows? I had salmon in Scotland, delish!

Judy, doesn't that make you feel good when someone says that? My co-worker said the exact same thing to me this morning, it makes me want to "keep at it."

Bill, gorgeous rhodies, what a lovely sight they must be in your yard. You are right, our trip seems like a dream but I have the pictures to prove I've been there. :D

Poor Larry texted me earlier saying that it's so hot and humid in his shop. He says he's 100% sure he never missed the place.:confused: They missed him because he's such a hard worker and does more than one job.

Everyone here missed me so much and were so welcoming in their greetings; I guess my replacement while I was gone was never on time to un-lock the front doors in the morning.:rolleyes:

I'm already ready for another vacation; so I'd better get saving. Hmm...where to now? I would LOVE to see more of America and Canada like Nova Scotia. And of course there is Africa, New Zealand, Italy, Hawaii....:lol: Traveling could become addictive if one isn't careful.:wink2:

Back to my data entry now. Have a great rest of your day everyone.:wave:

shipbroker
06-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Darla...how many houses did you see with screens at their windows in the UK??...not a lot I imagine ...it isn't something we need or do usually...we do have an anti-fly sort of mosquito net across the conservatory door which if it is breezy will leave a cat sized gap!

geoff

Yorky
06-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Just a quick pop in to say thanks from Ruth for all your birthday wishes.

We had a good drive around the country lanes this morning but gues when it rained? When iI was just putting the first wash on a sketch of Boulez Bay :rolleyes:

A day in Gorey is planned for tomorrow. Hope it is fine.

Hope your knee problem isn't too serious Darla.

Doug

shipbroker
06-12-2013, 03:08 PM
One of those cats has just 'taken out' a wood pigeon about the same size as it is..in the front garden...usually they chase small birds like wrens and hide under the monkey puzzle tree to do it......

Glad Jersey has been such a good holiday for you and Ruth Doug...

geoff

Ellen in Ont
06-12-2013, 04:54 PM
:wave: everyone,
Getting in late here today. I got the zucchini and tomatoes planted this morning so I hope there's no more frost.

Bill - maybe I could try Rhodies up here if I bank them with snow in the winter. It goes to -40 but they might be protected enough. :confused:

I have to make a meal for a pot luck supper at our art club tomorrow for our end of year party. I've decided on pulled pork with apples in buns. My sister is coming to town to spend the night so she can go too. She is bringing the makings for banana splits so everyone can make their own with a variety of toppings. :thumbsup:

Brian is on an over night fishing trip tonight so the cats and I have the place to ourselves. I think a movie night is in order. :D

((((Henry and Leslie)))) - lots of hugs and cyber support to you both

Geoff - you don't need screens? :eek: we couldn't live with the mosquitoes and black flies without them.

Speaking of rabbits... Walmart had packaged rabbit meat today.

Darla - I hope your knee can be fixed easily.

I have to get to the grocery store so I better get off here. Have a good evening everyone.

New Gamboge
06-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Hi everyone - one of the bears was back today, at about 1:50 pm - SIL thinks it's about 200 lb, but hard to tell without a reference. We noticed a doe in the field who was quite interested in something catty corner from it - sure enough it was the bear. I'll take rabbits and coons over bears any day - oh wait, we have both of those already, along with cougars and mink! Betty

WthrLady
06-12-2013, 06:12 PM
My speciality Anita. Been busy since 2am!

What's the word? Knackered? Zzzzzz another 12 hours and it will be out of my zone.

shipbroker
06-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Ellen. I only know one house in Britain myself that has screens fixed!!

Apart from places like Scotland and some of the forest/water places where there are midges and mosquito problems we just don't need screens Like we don't need air conditioning either....

Goodnight all

geoff

villagernb
06-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Good evening, everyone.

Enjoying the discussion about screens on windows. I have never lived anywhere in which humans could survive (especially at night) without window screens; you would be eaten alive by biting insects and dive-bombed by huge nocturnal moths!:eek:
When I visited my son in Vancouver several years ago, I couldn't believe that his apartment windows had no screens. He told me that there didn't seem to be any insects that came inside, even at night and after my first few days there, I realized that he was right! No bugs! I thought I was in heaven!:lol:

Bill, thank you for identifying your lovely rhododendron. We had PJM rhodos in Fredericton, and we tried Northern Lights azaleas, (they sounded promising, but we lost them to some mysterious disease after a couple of years.) We haven't tried any here yet, but if I see Roseum Elegans in any of the garden centres, I think I'll have to give him a try! We gardeners always live in hope!:crossfingers:

Uschi, you are a stellar grandmother for tutoring Ava in swimming. Help such as you have given her is priceless!:clap: :clap: :clap:
And extra:clap: :clap: for Ava for working hard and achieving success!:thumbsup:

Sylvia, what a scary way to start your morning!
We saw a single deer at the back of our property this morning, but we know that she is not alone!
Your dinner sounded yummy. We usually steam salmon wrapped in foil on the BBQ.

Char, when my DH retired, we kept both cars for a few months, until we discovered that when we need to drive, and that is usually only once or twice a week, we almost always go together! That made it easier to give up one car, and save a bundle on insurance, registration, mandatory annual safety inspections, etc.:smug:

Judy, Jack is a VERY smart man!:wink2:

See you all tomorrow.

Anne

JudyL
06-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Jack just said to remind y'all that we are going to be in the UK in October!

Yorky
06-13-2013, 02:10 AM
If you are to be in Knaresborough Judy, we'll hope to meet you.

Doug

laudesan
06-13-2013, 10:06 AM
My house is fully screened. Full security mess screen on the front door and back door too. :p I an not at all keen on mosquitoes!

shipbroker
06-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Thought you might have commented on our cat visitor JJ/ Annie!

geoff

Flattwo
06-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Hi To All

I never did get to the Edinburgh exhibition, overtaken by events, maybe next week :(

Lesley is having a Kidney biopsy next Wednesday, day surgery at 10 am.
I have to borrow my mothers wheelchair tomorrow morning to take her to our local GP practice for a full blood test, thank God things are now moving!

Henry

laudesan
06-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Thought you might have commented on our cat visitor JJ/ Annie!

geoffI hate that people let their cats roam into other peoples yards... I hate that people let their cats roam to kill the wildlife. I feel very, very strongly about that.....

laudesan
06-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Lesley is having a Kidney biopsy next Wednesday, day surgery at 10 am.
I have to borrow my mothers wheelchair tomorrow morning to take her to our local GP practice for a full blood test, thank God things are now moving!

Henry
:heart: :grouphug: :heart:

Gorgeous flowers Bill!!