PDA

View Full Version : Waco VKS

gebhm
06-11-2013, 12:22 PM
The painting is 20x24 oil. It is from a faded picture. I stopped work on it a month ago as I am unsure what to do with the hangar behined the plane. The hangar looks like the one in the picture, bland and dull, but I feel it needs something. The painting is for the gentleman that owned the plane.

Any suggestions on what to do to the hangar if anything would be appreciated, or should I leave it as is?

Any and all comments on the painting (good or bad) will be appreciated as I need to know how I am doing.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2013/899862-Waco_VKS.jpg

La_
06-11-2013, 05:04 PM
i'm a little concerned that the hanger is already trying to take over the piece ... considering the tiny size of the car, the hanger is quite a distance from the plane, but it's edges and strength are stronger than the plane in spots, pulling it forward so much it appears to be right behind the plane ... while i appreciate the effort you put into that, i'd suggest you could soften the hanger or strengthen the plane.

la

gebhm
06-11-2013, 05:10 PM
The hanger is quite large and able to hold several large aircraft. It was a WWII hanger that is why the model A ford is so small. I think softening the hanger would be the better option. The colors on the plane are exact so I don't have a clue as to how I could strengthen the plane.

Trumper
06-12-2013, 01:56 PM
I also think the hangar is too dominant,the aircraft almost fades out in the foreground.
I wonder if the windows on the left side of the hangar should be slightly graduated as in perspective as well.
I love the aircraft,it's the hangar thats dominant.

gebhm
06-12-2013, 02:13 PM
I see what you are saying. The windows do get smaller as they go back but probably not enough. I really appreciate your comments. As a beginner all comments are most helpful.

rossmarie
06-12-2013, 05:31 PM
i'm a little concerned that the hanger is already trying to take over the piece ... considering the tiny size of the car, the hanger is quite a distance from the plane, but it's edges and strength are stronger than the plane in spots, pulling it forward so much it appears to be right behind the plane ... while i appreciate the effort you put into that, i'd suggest you could soften the hanger or strengthen the plane.

la

I definitely feel soften the intensity of red on the hanger. Even if this is how it is IRL, it doesn't work in the painting because it overwhelms the aeroplane.

Beautifully drawn plane.

Mike. :thumbsup:

gebhm
06-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Everyone seems to agree that I need to soften the hanger and work the windows. I agree with them. I didn't like the hangar as I said at the begining. At least I know why I didn't like it now. It is nice to have the critque forum so we can learn. Thank you for your comment I really appreciate it.

Andrewcody
06-12-2013, 10:26 PM
The Plane is great, even the car.
But that Hangar is a problem, it is an unhappy coincidence that it frames the entire plane.
Next time decide what it is you want to paint - Hangar - Plane.
Correcting the perspective on the hangar could help

Regards
Andrew

gebhm
06-13-2013, 12:40 AM
I really appreciate the comments. The plane was always the main focus but like everyone is seeing the hangar over rides the plane and definately has to be corrected.

Trumper
06-13-2013, 01:27 PM
See what the gentleman who is having the painting thinks first and try to work with him explaining it from the artistic point of view.

gebhm
06-13-2013, 01:40 PM
The painting is a surprise for him. However I may take your advice and ask him what he wants me to do to it. The picture I worked from was secretely given to me by his wife when I asked her for it.

Dana Design
06-13-2013, 05:29 PM
Good suggestions from everyone here! Hung around hangars for years and flew ultralights. The hangars I've been in were huge but perhaps as has been suggested, the red is too strong? Just perhaps.

Nicely done on the plane.

gebhm
06-13-2013, 05:58 PM
I agree with all that has been said and really appreciate all the input. It really will help me further my paintings.

gebhm
06-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Took Trumpers advise and took the painting to the gentleman and surprised him with it. He told me three things.

1) the hanger looks like it did in 1955 and was painted bold to draw attention to it for buisness.

2) the painting was not leaving his house

3) if I touched HIS painting again he would break my arms.

Didn't feel like being hurt by a 78 year old man so I left the painting.

Dana Design
06-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Bravo! A success! And, well done.

Trumper
06-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Took Trumpers advise and took the painting to the gentleman and surprised him with it. He told me three things.

1) the hanger looks like it did in 1955 and was painted bold to draw attention to it for buisness.

2) the painting was not leaving his house

3) if I touched HIS painting again he would break my arms.

Didn't feel like being hurt by a 78 year old man so I left the painting.

:clap: :thumbsup: ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT -WELL DONE :clap:

Dana Design
06-25-2013, 07:35 PM
I'm so glad he like it! I'm sure it made him very happy! well done!

Forever Student
06-28-2013, 12:02 AM
Fun thread, thanks for sharing! Was hoping to see what you would do to balance the plane and the hangar, but a happy customer is a happy customer. :)

gebhm
06-28-2013, 11:17 AM
I wanted to work on that hanger since it stood out so much. But the gentleman was pretty adamant it was right and I was not going to touch his painting! He definatley wanted it left like it was. To say he was surprised seeing the painting is an understatement. He was extremely happy and said it brings back a lot of memories. I figure even with the hangar so loud in the painting I got the job done.

eyecandy2
06-28-2013, 03:51 PM
I guess that you have to go with the above comments. I think that you have done a great job with photo realism. keep up the good work. I like photo realism when it is done well.

gebhm
06-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Thank you for your comments. I did not know that was the name for the way I paint. It is nice to know the style has a name.