PDA

View Full Version : ** Daily Wash Tuesday 11th June 2013+*

shipbroker
06-11-2013, 02:18 AM
Where is everyone???

I could have started anytime from 0145 but thought the honour should be passed around!

I do not accept blue ears...

geoff

Yorky
06-11-2013, 02:37 AM
Good morning Geoff and all to follow. Just checking in before breakfast.

Ruth's birtday today, I got her a big bottle of her favourite perfume Red Door byvElizabeth Arden.

We're off to the Durrell zoo this morning and have ordered a golf buggy.

Yesterday's round the island tour was excellent but little time to paint. Did 5 5-10 minute sketches and a 15 minute one of Orgueil Castle Gorey.

Bye for now,

Doug

Doris345
06-11-2013, 03:48 AM
Hi Wahers

Hi Geoff, Hi Doug H.B. Ruth

Uschi - I love your Blood Pressure theory. I can feel sympathy for your insurance premiums, having paid for a car in NYC for decades. But no more! Thank you, Zip Car.

Quiet, laid-back weekend. Saw some friends, did some reading, hugged my cat, had a nice visit from my Sister between her trips: 10 days in Puerto Rico and home for the weekend (to do some laundry!) before flying off to Turkey for a couple of weeks. She claims she and husband want to get it all in before their diminishing health slows them down even more - both are ailing.

I just got a book by Sterling Edwards and I'm trying to follow some of his examples. Will post if/when I can get it finished. How come life always seems to get in the way of living?

Wet, rainy, miserable weather with occasional moments of brightness in the sky - not sun, just brighter than rain. Forcast to be nice today, then more of the rainy, miserable weather. I am getting mildewed.

Dinner tonight with old college pal who has just moved back to NYC after many years in Boston. Much to talk about.

CSA begins today. 6 months of fresh, beautiful vegetables. Yum yum.

BBL
Doris

doppler
06-11-2013, 04:09 AM
Hi Geoff. I suppose no one wanted to disturb you at that hour.

Doug, is that the Gerald Durrell zoo ? :thumbsup: Hope you are both having a great time.

Strangely enough Doris it is bucketing down rain here too. :rolleyes: Like Bill said yesterday .. it's raining everywhere. Both my huggable, if they would put up with it, spoilt felines are upstairs in the upvent of the heat from the fire. My other huggable is cooking, so I dare not go near him or I will be accused of telling him what to do in the kitchen.Discretion and valour? I vote discretion and a closed mouth. Always gives greater rewards. :)

Raining like a drum now. Anne, is your well like our tanks? Relying on rainwater to fill? We have no piped water here, so I do understand your late summer anxieties. Ours are normally winter anxieties, but the drumming goes on and our tanks are overflowing.

BBL, after peeking into the kitchen :clear:

shipbroker
06-11-2013, 04:53 AM
Glad someone else gas rhe rain, we are due it again later today!

Golf cancelled as partner wife in hospital for hysto.....

Plans little probably more gardening slowly.

geoff

doppler
06-11-2013, 05:30 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Ruth.:wave:

Not raining now Geoff. Just dark and foggy and silent.

We have had dinner a la roger and it was delicious. I can get used to this. For part of the week.

:wave: Sleep calls. Early to rise means early to sleep. Forget all that other stuff that goes with the saying. Waking in the dank dark early morning on my internal clock forges more words than I care to remember, though I can invent them.

:wave:

Lulu
06-11-2013, 05:41 AM
Evening everyone:wave:
Been very 'people' busy, lots of catching up with my voluntary work.

Have just come in from painting class - landscape oils, enjoyable but challenging, it's good for me to get out of my comfort zone.
It's also a challenge to keep the cats away from it while it's wet! :eek:
Going to start another watercolour portrait tomorrow, hoping I've remembered how!

Happy birthday to Ruth! Big hugs from both of us :heart:
I googled Jersey, looks really interesting Doug.

Nice sunny winter's day here, got to 18C.

Off to eat and then read for a while before bed.

ScarletLake
06-11-2013, 06:21 AM
Hi Everyone

Doug - Happy Birthday to Ruth. I LOVE Red Door also.I just finished a bottle.

LuLU - have never tried oils. You paint beautifully - I'm sure WC will come right back to you. I would imagine that you have a whole lot of reference material from your trip

Doris - I think that we may be in for some rain too but have not checked yet this morning. Nice that your sister and her husband are getting to take the trips.

I would imagine that Darla and Larry are hopefully getting some sleep this morning. They will be travel weary this week for sure. Can't believe that they have been and back already.

Some pretty big cleaning out of the house going on here over the next month. Have decided to have a huge garage/yard sale toward the end of July. Have lots of things to get rid of.

Well off to get in about another hour of sleep before really getting the day started.

Anita

Ellen in Ont
06-11-2013, 07:12 AM
:wave: everyone,
Just caught up on two days of washes. Besides being tired from nightshift I have a headcold. :rolleyes:

It is supposed to rain here today and tomorrow. We can use it but so far all there is are dark clouds. The weather has been perfect the last couple of days with highs around 25. I still have to plant my zucchini and tomatoes but have to turn over the small veg bed first since I piled compost on it last fall.

Today will be for working on the computer and doing the samples for the class I am teaching in a couple of weeks. I am one of about five teachers at an art boot camp in Smooth Rock Falls my sister organizes every year. For $100 the attendees get five classes, all the materials supplied, breakfast both days and a potluck supper. Well worth it I think. The classes are diverse including making three dimensional clay plaques, painting on silk scarves with dye, acrylic painting, combining India ink and watercolour washes, and mine on gallery wrapping watercolour paper and varnishing. It is great fun.

Doug - happy birthday to Ruth. Sounds like you are enjoying your trip.

Good morning to all before and after. I need to get a bite of breakfast and get started.

laudesan
06-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Hey all.

:clap: :thumbsup: :heart: HAPPY BIRTHDAY RUTH :heart: :thumbsup: :clap:

Been sitting on my back patio this afternoon, sketching my frog band.

Hugs to all who are unwell

Have a great day.. :wave:

painterbear
06-11-2013, 08:38 AM
Good Morning all,
It is almost 8:30 a.m. on a bright, sunny, warm day here in Oakwood. In fact, it is going to be downright HOT by this afternoon, so we'll be on the AC by then.

The DSPS show I went to on Sunday was really interesting because it covers all media. There were some stunning works in graphite...one was a full sheet of a young man against a wall with interesting shadows; another was an intricate collage of an Oriental woman in full kimono which was made of hundreds of tiny pieces of paper; my favorites though were the watercolors. Each room I went into, they caught my eye first and I was so happy I had decided long ago to work with this medium. :D

Worked on my cat portrait of my daughter's Norwegian Forest cat in class yesterday and put some background colors on Kay's African Violet painting. Took some progress photos so may post that in the Studio as a WIP.

Ellen, If I were living closer, I'd surely sign up for that art boot camp experience. That is definitely a bargain since you supply the materials as well as the instruction. Have fun working in your veggie garden.

Annie, :thumbsup: on letting Roger do his thing in the kitchen. I know how annoying it is to have someone (who shall remain nameless ;) ) come into the kitchen and "advise" me about something I already know. :lol:

Doug, Please tell Ruth we are wishing her a most
:music: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :music: today.

Anita, Good luck cleaning out all the "stuff" you don't need any more. Sounds like a good plan for the yard sale in July.

Doris, Glad your sister and her DH are enjoying traveling to all the places they've been wanting to see while they are healthy enough to be able to do it. Have you seen JSSargeant's works yet?

:wave: to Geoff, Lulu, and all who are on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

CharM
06-11-2013, 08:38 AM
Good morning Washers! Umbrellas are required accoutrement here in SW Ontario. It rained during the night and is about to begin again any time now. It was a *perfect* rainy day yesterday, with the soft and warm stuff coming straight down all day.

This weather wreaks havoc on my metal and real joints!

I don't have much on the go this morning. I think I'll work on my bee. He's making great progress as I work on his *face*. I do have a Class this afternoon that will need to be set up.

Geoff, everyone must have been getting a good night's sleep! :p Blue really does suit you.

What a good idea, Doug. Happy Birthday to Ruth who smells divine!

Doris, my Aunt and Uncle are travellers. At 80+ they've only recently given up their Westphalia camper van and are now doing cruises. Out here in the boonies, we must have a car because there's simply no other way (aside from cycling) to get around.

Isn't it HARD to stay out of the kitchen, Annie! :lol:

Lulu, it's a nice warm Spring day here and will get up to 18C... Happy painting! You won't have forgotten a thing.

Getting ready for a yard sale is really a lot of work, Anita! I kind of think that both Darla and Larry had to be at work today. I'll bet they're tired!

Artist Boot Camp sounds like it's a lot of fun, Ellen! Can participants sign up for more than one workshop?

A frog band? What FUN, JJ!

Well, I hope that all of you have a happy and creative day!

We x-posted Sylvia... I really enjoy viewing other media as well. It's interesting, especially because it seems to always confirm that watercolour is what I want to do! :) I look forward to your wips in the Studio.

LynnM
06-11-2013, 09:05 AM
Hello all! quick visit from me, a full day at the Village today, have volunteered to help at the annual 'free' schools day, designed to give them a taste of our offerings, in hopes of bookings for the following year. We have a regular 1/2 or full day program that many schools use in their history curriculum. And I'll be one of the few in the costume department, so probably laundry day as well.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RUTH!

:grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

Uschi
06-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Good Morning!!!

Yesterday's rain is over, the garden well watered and the sun is shining and will be shining for several days to come. Temperature going up to 23C plus humidity.

No big plans for today, I may tackle a corner of my studio. Ava's last swimming class later on. Oh, I do have to take the last bags of Forget-me-nots to the recycle center.

Right now my flower beds are filled with blooming wild phlox, also soooo pretty, also a lot of work, also has to be all cut down before they reseed, but not yet.

Doug, glad you are enjoying your holiday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Ruth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Char, for a change we'll be warmer than you.

Sylvia, looking forward to your WIP. Yes, watercolours are definitely IT!!!

Elle, did you ever take that silk painting course your sister was offering some time ago?? The boot camp sounds great!!!!

Annie, you won't have to buy water this year:thumbsup:

Anita, if it wasn't so much work I would have had a garage sale a long time ago. So what I do instead is take smaller amounts to the second hand store for free:lol:

Lulu, would be perfect weather for me:thumbsup:

Doris, JJ, Geoff , have a good day!!!

:grouphug: and best wishes to our friends who are not well!!!

Uschi

Scene Chaser
06-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Good Day All,

Happy Birthday Ruth!

Some clouds with a chance of a storm and a high of 79F today.

Annie, I wish my partner did more of the cooking. When she does, itís great food. I just cook basic stuff.

Doris, good idea to hug your cat. Ms. Feral would not allow it, but she shows her appreciation in her eyes.

Lulu, I expect to see some portraits with a landscape background. Iím sure they will be beautiful.

Anita, weíll be having a garage sale this summer, too. Lots of work.

Ellen, the two days of classes look they would be fun.

Sylvia, I miss going to art shows. You live in a culturally rich area.

Char, no kidding! My arthritis is really acting up in this weather, too. I bet youíre right about Darla being tired.

Darla!!! Hello, wake up. Youíre home now. Have you made an appointment for your knee? Hope the pain has lessened.

Lynn, you do keep awfully busy. Great what you are doing for the school.

Hi Uschi, Geoff.

Why would a cat eat moths, anyway? Stop that!

Bill

villagernb
06-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Good early afternoon, Washers.

I'm going to venture out for a walk soon, before it starts raining later on. Overcast, windy and cool right now; not very inviting. It feels a lot more like April than June!:crying:

Just looked at my son's wedding website; the countdown clock says 46 days.:thumbsup:

Happy Birthday, Ruth and many more! Great gift choice, Doug! I guess you've been married long enough to know that your DW would not appreciate a toaster or an iron as her birthday gift.:wink2:

Ellen, I am :envy: of those fortunate enough to be attending your sister's art boot camp. It sounds WELL worth the fee! Like Sylvia, if I lived closer, I would be signing up.

Annie, we have a surface well--a huge concrete tank buried up to its neck in the ground. It collects surface groundwater--snowmelt and rain. Unless it's filling up the basement:eek: we welcome all rain, however inconvenient. Before having our tank installed, we tried drilling two wells on our property $$$$$!!!!:eek: but one hit a pocket of oil (not enough to make us rich!) and the other didn't have sufficient flow. Surface wells are extremely common in our area; Drilling often hits a small deposit of either oil or natural gas. (Don't tell the "fracking" companies!):clear:

I guess I'd better quit stalling, and hit the road. (At least my legs still work!)

By the way, about spouses in the kitchen, my DH is a good cook, but our usual division of labour means that I do most day-to-day cooking, (he bakes and BBQs .) This past week, he has been bravely producing supper every night, but he does like company in the kitchen, and I am available to help him locate items that I have "hidden". :D

SYL

Anne

JudyL
06-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Hi Y'all :wave:
Quiet today, so far, I received a request from our son's MIL to do a WC of her house, :eek: I did on of our son's previous house and finished it just as they moved into a new house :rolleyes: but a lovely house and will begin sketching it soon. I still have yet to finish the "kids at the Beach" acrylic.

Must get shower before Jack does, he squeegees.

TTFN

WthrLady
06-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Good Morning all :)
I posted some studio photos in the BACK post on the Palette.
Thunder all around, but alas, no rain yet.

Warm and 86 already.

Swallows swiftly swooping for bugs in the breeze.

Need to hang more picts.

Have a great day all !

Scene Chaser
06-11-2013, 01:36 PM
My rhododendrons are in full bloom.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2013/83119-Rhodie.JPG

Isn't spring great?

Bill

Flattwo
06-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Hi to All

Overcast and muggy here

Caryl, 86 degrees, too much for me....phew!

Lesley got a call from the doc, she has to go for a biopsy, she will find out tomorrow when

Bill, great photo, is it snagable?

Getting the pasta bake sorted out for dinner, so speak later

Henry

shipbroker
06-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Evening Henry...glad some news for Lesley albeiit so far vague.

Lovely night here although has been muggy most of day but no more than 2 minutes rain...

geoff

Flattwo
06-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Hi Geoff, things are dragging along, so frustrating for both of us.

I meant to add that I'm off to Edinburgh tomorrow to see the Samuel Peploe exhibition, one of the Scottish Colourists and one of my favourite artists
http://www.nationalgalleries.org/whatson/exhibitions/the-scottish-colourist-series-sj-peploe

Henry

ScarletLake
06-11-2013, 03:17 PM
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Having a rough day with aches and pains today. Darn it.

I think I am just going to pack it in and go sit outside on the patio and mess around with some watercolors. Too much life and not enough art time lately.

Bill - Those flowers are just georgous

Ellen - What a great deal those taking the class will be getting

Henry - Thinking about your wife and sending prayers her way for you both.

Uschi - I absolutely hate getting a garage sale ready but I am afraid it is a must. We have some big stuff to sell and I have tons of little stuff. Will probably run it a couple of days and then what does not move Haul it off.

I have so much to do - we are getting ready to paint our living room, pull up the carpets and put down some other flooring. Clean out the garage, etc. etc. and now my shoulder acting up.

Had a very very bad day yesterday with should pain and neck pain from fibromyalgia. I usually don't cry much but finally just gave in. Couldn't even get the milk out of the fridge. DH really wants me back working and he would love it if I could go back to the nursing for the $$$ income but I think he is really starting to see that my body will just not tolerate that anymore.

Accepting that has been sort of hard but I believe that I will find my way again.

Speaking of DH in the kitchen. Mine is the absolute worst cook I've ever seen and his grilling outdoors is even worse. :lol: :lol:

Well heading out to sit and play around with some watercolors.

Wondering how Darla is doing????

Caryl - see that you are almost all settled in your new place. Son Justin is doing OK in his training. 2 weeks into it already. They said they got a really nice little place to stay.

NancyR
06-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Just a quick note to let you all know that I had my 2nd shot yesterday, and I have more relief. Just some tingling left in my toes. Tailbone is very, very sore.

I have kept up with the washes, but just did not have the energy to post. I'm sorry.

Henry and Lesley, It is so frustrating waiting for doctors to make up their minds. I went through that with my mother. They just want to make sure they know what they are dealing with before they make their final plans. Big :grouphug: :grouphug: for you both.

Darla, Hope that you have set up an appointment for your knee. Welcome back to the USA.

Anne, Too bad you did not profit from the oil under your land.

Anita, Glad that you are taking time for playing. That is very important to everyone's psyche. Right now I am limited in doing anything physical, so I am taking advantage of the time doing fun things.

Hello to everyone else. I need to get back to work. I informed my two bosses that I will officially retire on January 30, 2015. That gives them a year and half notice.

White light to all in need.

kaypainter
06-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Happy Birthday Ruth!!

((((Anita)))) Take it easy. There has to be another way to make money that doesn't torture your body.

(((((Henry & Lesley)))) I like Peploe's paintings. Never heard of him before. Will go on the list.

Uschi I cannot believe what you pay in car insurance. I thought LA was high, but I only pay a little over $1,000 per year. We also have loyalty discounts. If you stick with the same insurer over a period of years they give you a discount for that. I think you and I have similar Camry's as well.

Caryl that is amazing. You are a whirling dervish.

((((Ellen)))) Hope you get over your cold soon. That is an amazing bargain for the camp.

Bill I love rhodies. They are so beautiful.

Anne darn. Coulda been an oil magnate! :lol:

Annie pretty soon Roger will be having his own cooking show. A whole new career! :D

Sylvia loved your paintings from your workshop. Can't wait to see my violets in WC!

I need to get some laundry organized.

Take care everyone. HAWLTAIN

Kay

Ellen in Ont
06-11-2013, 04:04 PM
About to sit down to supper so just have a minute.

Char - every participant gets all five workshops.

Uschi - the boot camp is where my sister will be teaching the painting on silk scarves.:D

Flattwo
06-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Hi

Thanks to everyone for your kind words regarding Lesley

Kay, the Scottish Colourists were a very talented group of artists, at the same venue there will be a exhibition of paintings by the 19th century American artist, looking forward to that also

http://www.nationalgalleries.org/whatson/exhibitions/through-american-eyes

Henry

shipbroker
06-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Henry. BBC2 England at 10pm on Royal Academy Summer Exhibition.

geoff

Flattwo
06-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Thanks Geoff, missed it, but will watch it on BBC iplayer on the smart TV!

Henry

olliewood0702
06-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Hello one and all;

We got in late last night around 11:00pm and went straight to bed. Three flights with all the security and customs all in one day was totally draining. We started the morning at 3am in Scotland and ended it in Detroit after a 3 1/2 hour delay on our flight from Philadelphia.

We had taken the day off, good thing. It's back to work (reality) tomorrow.:rolleyes:

What a great time we had on our adventure but it's always nice to be home.

Callum took us up into the Highlands and Grampian Mountains where there was still snow. What a beautiful country.

Henry we never made it to Edinburgh but someday I hope to; as well as all the way to the west coast (Inverness). Aberdeen was a nice city too.

I've not sorted any pics yet and I didn't make a doctor appointment for my knee either. I will; maybe tomorrow. It's still sore but not as bad as it was. It feels like I may have torn my repaired ACL...again. The reason is because it hyper-extends and that is a sign.:confused:

It's back to work tomorrow and I'm sure we'll be tired in the morning when the alarm clock rings. I don't feel much jet lag today though so I guess you're right Doug, we felt it more going than coming home. I'm just a tad tired(er) than normal.

I hope you all are well and doing fine.

Sending hugs and white light to all in need((()))

Talk to you all tomorrow.:wave: :heart:

WthrLady
06-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Welcome home Darla!

laudesan
06-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Yay Darla is home, and in one piece! :clap: :heart: