View Full Version : ** Daily Wash Monday 10th June 2013 **

shipbroker
06-10-2013, 12:35 AM
Morning all.

Dull here abd birds quiet. No plans.

geoff

JudyL
06-10-2013, 01:36 AM
Sunday was a good day, slept late :smug: went to a wine tasting / art show and had a lovely time. The HOT :eek: weather was tempered by the wind.
Met some lovely people at the art show, and we got a few things.

doppler
06-10-2013, 02:03 AM
Not sure which month Hune is Geoff, but I guess it is June. Minor keyboard snitch in the dark. :heart:

We call hoons the wide exhaust wide tyred boy racers here. Not present here today because it is wet and yicky and they may skid off on the leaves. There is a sign at Mt Glorious that says, in the middle of the rainforest canopy, "Caution, leaves on road " :rolleyes:

Lucky you Judy, being hot.:thumbsup: :wave:

We woke to thick mist and rain which hasn't stopped all day. The grey just got lighter, then darker, then lighter and is now darkening again. Fires have been going all day and Elsinore, the fireplace, is well alight. :rolleyes: Cats are quite grumpily appreciative of it too.

Read that Howard Howsey book "Wool" today. Gosh, that is the best SCI FI alternative future thing I have ever read, even though I shall have nightmares. Not any future I would want.

The next cloud bank is rolling in. Out of season rain but all welcome. Must shake up my summer delivered bottles of fire retardant. I'm lazy.

Uschii, in this climate our layover time in the garden is high summer. Hot and too wet. Except for truly tropical crops like snake beans. lettuces do well but bolt or dissolve if there is too much rain.No frost or CWYS (cold white yicky stuff.. S**w) so in the Winter we can grow lots. Albeit slowly. Spring and Autumn are the best times. Green beans always best in spring. Tomatoes are a gamble anytime. My last years splendid crop, a lot of which I froze, defrosted with the three plus days without power after ex cyclone Oswald. Still looting the last of the cherry tomatoes from their enclosure.

Spaghetti Bol tonight.

Yorky
06-10-2013, 02:31 AM
Good morning all, dull here but dry so far.

We plan an all island tour today, hope we get lomg enough to take some photos maybe do a quick sketch or two.

Yes Geoff June it is :lol:

Holiday is going fine so far.

Doug

laudesan
06-10-2013, 04:38 AM
hello..

Annie, I ventured out once, late this afternoon to buy doings for dinner.. I love the rain, and the darkening of the skies, I think it is magical, and romantic.

I had a great day yesterday, I was taken out on a surprise outing to Fort Lytton. They had their Living History re-enactments happening this weekend. I too k some photos' haven't resized them yet, but will do shortly and post a coupel for you.

Lynn, yoy all looked absolutely fabulous in that photo!!!!! :heart:

(((((Gail))))) I am s very sorry your operation wasn't as successful as you hoped. Back pain really sucks. It can be so debilitating..

Hge hugs to Lesley and yourself Henry. :heart:

Doug, you vacation sounds fabulous..

Darla, safe journey hone :heart:

:grouphug:

:wave:

Supper time..

Drollaeem
06-10-2013, 06:18 AM
Annie, that weather sounds amazing! As does the theory of appreciative cats.

I've got a goose egg on my hip that just won't go away, so I've been wandering around the house more then usual trying to find a comfy spot. Work today, though.

Last night my husband was sawing and sawing while I was trying to sleep, so just as I got up to find out while working on Legos would require sawing (it didn't, he'd found a new project) the neighbors set off fireworks near the open window. I tipped right over onto the floor and laughed until I felt sick, at least after I figured out what had happened.

It's going to be a long day though, wish me luck. :D

ScarletLake
06-10-2013, 07:36 AM
:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

It is 7:30AM here in Ohio and a light rain falling. I'll get a shower in a little while and head down to visit with my friend at the coffee shop for a bit.

Good weekend - had a really busy day on Sat with shopping for flowers and going to a 60th birthday party. Yesterday we potted and planted flowers and the remaining tomato plants. We'll see how they do.

My left shoulder is still bothering me. It is making sleeping not so much fun.

I think I will spend the day quiet going over papers and such.

Everyone have a good day

I imagine Darla is heading back home today.

Anita

CharM
06-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Good morning! It has already rained a bit earlier today and promises to return any time now. Actually, we're expecting thunderstorms. I know it. My metal is telling me.

Yesterday's visit with my Sister and family was really nice. The day was warm and sunny. We enjoyed a nice walk around the paddocks... her garden isn't quite as far along as ours down here, but looks good. Two new calves in the pasture were playing and the chickens' feathers were glowing red in the bright sun. Picturesque. I didn't take a one.

Ted has gone to town already for an 8:30 appointment. I have Students coming soon and must get my art stuff set up shortly.

Lynn, your photo in yesterday's Wash is wonderful! What a treat to have everyone participating! And your costumes are very authentic looking.

Hiya Geoff and Judy... :wave:

Annie, I'm surprised about the tomatoes... a native South American crop, they've made their way into gardens around the world... I did think they'd like the summer heat of your garden. We grow a variety of plants in ours, but use only the Romas for canning.

Doug, I didn't mind working in the month of Hune... :p

Rain, like everything in life, is best served up in moderation, eh JJ?? :lol:

Abigail, I didn't understand a single thing that happened to you during the night! :lol: I did, however, want to send a (()) for the goose egg on your hip... edema from arthritis?

Hi Anita... sounds like your weekend really was a nice one... the weather is probably contributing to your sore joints and muscles.

I'd better shut down this computer... it's getting too overheated to be sitting on my lap anyway. I hope that everyone has the very, very best possible day.

LynnM
06-10-2013, 09:00 AM
:wave: Grey here too, raining earlier, probably more to come. Yesterday was glorious! as long as we keep getting days like that, summer will be bearable for a change :)

Sounds like a nice weekend, Anita! I love getting my plants in too.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments about our family picture, it was very rewarding to me to have them all there, and that they join in willingly. I don't see much of them, they have a busy life. DIL works two contract jobs, and DS has a manager's job so long hours, so it is doubly great to do something with them.

:) Abigail at your rude awakening, you were definitely not meant to stay in bed!

I really enjoyed your photos on FB, JJ. of the trip to the re-enactment, what an amazing collection of time periods! Way more than any I have seen here, although we did have a troop of British soldiers from WWII at this year's 1812 event....we were rededicating a memorial to WWI hence our Edwardian costumes for that show.

Yes, Char, the patterns are made (not by me!) from original garments, so they should look real, I like the feeling of working in the past, so to speak. DS jacket was largely made by hand, as the techniques of putting it together are different and harder to do by machine. Lots of buttonholes!

Hi Annie, Judy, Geoff! and all to come, hope you have a rewarding day!
:grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

Scene Chaser
06-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Good Day All,
It's rainy everywhere! I was hoping I wouldn't have to water the garden.
It's been so cold the plants aren't growing very fast.

Ms. Feral has decided that since it is a rainy day, she will busy cleaning herself on the chair next to me. She still will not let me close the door. :( I offer her what I can, and she accepts what she wants and no more.

Hi Geoff

Char, how are Ted's chickens doing? Any eggs, yet? I love the reds.

Anita, we must have twin left shoulders. I will have to have mine looked at someday.

Lynn, you could make good money making clothes for the movie industry. But then it would be a job and no longer fun.

Abigail, such a scare. Hope you get some sleep.

Doug, I toured the tunnels on their site. Quite an underground hospital they had. Is Jersey still peeved at the crown?

It seems I'm always doing paperwork. That today plus some cleaning.
Bill

LynnM
06-10-2013, 10:24 AM
She is lucky kitty, Bill, not many people would be so accommodating.....although, come to think of it, cat lovers (myself included!) are pretty wrapped up in their fur kids :)

Yes, I do make some for other people, but not the totally handmade ones, no one can pay me enough for that work! and Yes, I don't need a 'job' now, too used to doing things on my own time!

Uschi
06-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Good Morning!!!

Gray here too but the garden was being watered so I am not complaining.

The garden, by the way, is wonderfully lush and green.

I don't complain very often, but here it is - my car insurance.

I have been with this company for 47 years and until last year where I was half guilty for a truck and me backing into each other in a parking loit. The repair bill was $ 1,600. My insurance premium used to be $ 800 something and because of that little mishap has gone up to almost twice as much, namely $ 1500 something.

I phoned, and it seems that I have dropped from a #9 to a #5. I asked what if I had totalled a $ 40,000 car, was told would be the same thing:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So furious I called an insurance company that was supposed to do wonders for seniors, (Graypower!!) and they quoted me $ 3000:eek: :eek: Where are these people coming from????????????????

So now I know why people who have insurance for their cars choose to pay for damages themselves. RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, furious as I am, I guess I have to stay with who I have.:rolleyes: :eek: :lol: :lol:

The benefit is, that in future if my blood pressure goes low all I have to do is think about that rotten insurance company and it will be normal:lol: :lol:

Was a gorgeous day yesterday, watching my sons play in the baseball game was fun (they weren't very good:lol: ) had BBQ supper at kids, that was nice too.

More paper work in the morning and then table tennis in the afternoon.

:wave: to all here and all yet to come and sending good thoughts to those of us not feeling well!!!

Uschi

villagernb
06-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Good early afternoon here, fellow Washers. Sun out now after a heavily overcast morning. Much rain on Saturday, and it appears to be returning tomorrow night and staying over through Wednesday. I try not to complain about lots of spring rain, because sometime in July, the rain will stop, and it might not rain again until the hurricane-related storms start coming in regularly in late August or early September. We are on a well, and waiting for the fall rains can become stressful!

My DH is outside weeding the flower beds, which I am not supposed to do for another three and a half weeks. I went out a while ago to "visit" him, but had to come back inside because the urge to get my tools and pull dandelions was too strong to resist!:evil:

I may try a nap a bit later; had a terrible sleep last night. My personal routine is completely disrupted.

While DH goes for his bike ride, I'll sit outside for a while and read my book: Kim Stanley Robinson's "Antarctica".

Annie, I think I would like your book; sounds like my type. (Not that I won't read just about anything. I have eclectic taste!):D
Really interested in hearing how different your garden is from mine!
BTW, is wine served with Spaghetti Bol at your house? Here, it is the favourite part of that meal.:wink2:

Bill, your patient acceptance of Ms. Feral exactly as she is, is the secret of all successful relationships!:heart:

Uschi, I don't blame you for being fed up with your insurance company. We Maritimers have had many ongoing issues with insurance for as long as we have lived here, both for our homes and automobiles. Many people here have very high deductibles and pay their repair costs out of their own pockets if they can manage to do so, knowing how badly they will be penalized at renewal time if they make any sort of claim!:mad:

Guess I'll go out and bug my "gardener" again and see how he is getting on!:angel:

I'll be back to bug YOU later.

Anne

CharM
06-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Hiya... it's been raining lightly most of the morning. No thunder boomers. But the house is as dark as the inside of a cow. I have lights burning everywhere. No natural lighting for our painting today! :(

Ted brought home a lovely Thai basil plant to add to my herb garden. We'd been unable to find sage, so my BIL dug up a big piece from his shrub. Ted found a small plant today. Go figure.

I finished the cutest little dyptich of blueberries during free paint this morning. Each piece is only about 4x4"...

We made sandwiches for lunch and I braved the rain to pull some spring onions, cut some lettuce and also some bok choy for tonight's supper. Now, I'm just not going to dry out as I also have the windows open even though it's raining. The house is surrounded by trees (contributing to the darkness) and the rain won't come in. It won't dirty my gorgeously clean windows, either! :)

Lynn, many years ago I learned to "tailor". It's an arduous task to properly tailor a suit jacket, and I must tell you that a lot of the work is still done by hand. Creating the proper shape and fit is done with layers of facings and pad stitching. Hand work!

Bill, two of the three chickens that our Granddaughters raised were roosters. The neighbours complained bitterly about their crowing and sadly, they had to be dispatched. It made me a little sad, but I understood why no one likes roosters. Anyway, Henny Penny is gifting us with an egg every day. And she'll be joined by 8 new hens in just a few weeks.

Uschi, I hate to say that I'm not surprised. But, I'm not surprised. We switched Insurance Brokers a couple of years ago and they saved us a lot of money per year. Remember we're paying Magoo's insurance, still. Anyway... Perhaps you could telephone Buckley's Insurance. They're in Toronto. We're reasonably happy with the company. At the end of the day, they're all cut from the same cloth, though.

((Anne)) You do what you're supposed to do, now... I know exactly how you feel about complaining about the rain. :)

I must get ready for my next Class... :wave:

JudyL
06-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Hi, Just back from my walk, sooooo much better than Saturday, overcast and a lovely brisk wind, found walking is really good with Diana Ross 'Chain Reaction' I backed it up 3 times, must find more with that same beat.

Do not know what is in store today, I need to pick up a few things, but really want to finish that painting I started in May!

Now off to the showers....BBL

doppler
06-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Good morning. Five fifteen, dark, foggy.

Char, tomatoes here are prone to fruit fly attack and if the summer is too wet they just rot. Last years crop was such a joy.

Anne, wine is integral to spaghetti Bol. :angel: :lol:

Off. To rustle up some clean work clothes :(

shipbroker
06-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Morning Annie....nice to see you at this time of day!

Weather has got better as the day has gone on......nice in Thirsk Market this afternoon and I have just spent an hour watering the garden plants, still, very still evening......

If I don't look in again goodnight all.

geoff

JudyL
06-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Back from the GD duties, we had to go have her nails redone, she lost one and now they are deep purple. Then to a search for an acceptable suitcase for an 18th birthday gift, happily none were good enough as they were too $$$ then we got a key made, and then bought lunch.
Jack has girl duty now. She has to feed dogs and cat poo cleaning for a vacationing family.

Now I am going to kick back!

Later