View Full Version : pallettes and easels

06-06-1999, 10:07 PM
What kind of easels do you need for watercolours and pallettes, and does anyone have tips for a pretty much beginner

06-08-1999, 07:19 PM
Most watercolor painters do not use an easel, at least not the upright kind you use with oil. The reason? Watercolor is very fluid, and if you worked with your paper in a vertical position, the paint would just run down the paper. You usually paint watercolors with your board (and its stretched paper) on a flat table surface, occasionally raising up one edge of the board to facilitate doing a large wash where you need a bead of wet paint along one edge. The palette for watercolorists usually is moulded metal or plastic with wells for the watercolor and a larger mixing area in the center for washes. If you plan to work outside, there are special easels for watercolor that will hold your watercolor board flat or at a slight angle.

Hopes this answers your question.
Ellen Fountain
Contributing Editor