PDA

View Full Version : First week of painting...

MrMark
06-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Hello all! I finished my first year at Uni' a couple of weeks ago and I'm at an utter loose-end. Wound up watching Bob Ross on YouTube and thought - I could have a go at that. Oil paints on a 9"x12" canvas:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2013/1265052-Resized.jpg

This is my third canvas and the second version of the same scene. I believe my evergreen trees are poor and I think it's because the paint I'm using to create them is too thick. I can see my shrubs improve from the ones in the mid-ground to the ones in the foreground - the foreground shrubs seem to have far more depth to them. As regards the mountain, I think I got too impatient before making it misty at the bottom - should I have waiting for it to dry a little before blending?

Any and all useful critique is welcomed! :)

Dana Design
06-09-2013, 02:02 PM
I think your mid-ground and foreground shrubs are extremely well done. The big shrub on the right could use a bit more work, perhaps adding more depth to is and not having the 'regularity' of stripes.

The evergreens are nice but perhaps there's too much trunk showing?

Love the water and your reflections in it. Keep painting.

MrMark
06-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Too pale a brown for the trunks and not enough greenery over the top on those evergreens - I think you're right. And I wasn't "free" enough in my movements on the right-hand tree. May augment this one tomorrow.

[edit] and thank you for the feedback! :)

bocote
06-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Nice work for your first week; Bob would be very proud of your accomplishments so far. Watch more videos and keep practicing.

Your paint doesnt look too thick to me.

sculptfoam
06-17-2013, 12:08 AM
Did you beat the devil out of your brush afterwards?

xislandman
09-28-2013, 09:12 PM
If I could give you any advise, it would be to make your signature small and insignificant as to not distract from the painting... IMHO

~JMW~
09-29-2013, 12:04 AM
I got started by watching Bob Ross tv painting shows long ago.
Then Jerry Yarnell came on tv too, and Buck Paulson and others, gives you so many more styles to try so you can find your own look.
Keep exploring, learning and practicing..

Look at videos by other painters to see their techniques for trees.

~JMW~
09-29-2013, 01:19 AM
Here's a you tube clip of Jerry Y's version of a evergreen tree.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X4LQyDQpP4

ispyart
10-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Mountain and lake done very very well, good work