GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Dan - Portrait
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
It's a bit more warm in color, the camera killed it once again:-)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
anything welcome

jocelynsart
09-12-2003, 06:57 PM
I think your composition is great. The angle of the face and the shapes of his shirt and background balance perfectly to me.
Interesting contemporary expressionistic like style you have! The colours are terrific.
I can't comment much more helpfully as it is so different than how I paint. I enjoyed viewing it! There is alot of emotion in it.
Joss

giniaad
09-12-2003, 08:26 PM
there is so much I like about this

I am not sure how to comment...
the style is different...
your application is different
these are reasons I like it

I guess the only thing I would like better
is if his right eye were in line with his left eye
(the outer edge should come down)

love the moodiness of this

designditz
09-12-2003, 08:36 PM
This is a really cool style..looks like bronze almost.. I like the angle and the cig...Can't critiqe this beause its really a great piece and highly stylized...just like it alot!

coulter
09-12-2003, 10:43 PM
This is such a great composition, the way the cigarette almost takes you out but the white t-shirt brings you around to the ear which takes you in again.

And that's just part of what I like about this !!!!!

Mark

pero lane
09-13-2003, 01:37 PM
Powerful!! Add a hat...it's Bogart!:D

HRobinson
09-13-2003, 03:26 PM
I've nothing really to go by as far as his actual appearance but the area directly under his nose to his lip looks too wide. Soould that area be half again as wide as the nose is long? Were you trying to give us Bogart? The background is too invasive and the gaze is a little pasty.

The posture and placement are outstading.

-Harry

eezacque
09-13-2003, 10:00 PM
I like the colours and the style, which reminds me about Toorop's. What puzzles me is the sub-nose area: the mouth is exactly halfway nose and chin, while for most people it is located a bit lower...

Chardin-devotee
09-13-2003, 10:31 PM
I don't see any proportion problems with this one. Maybe because it reminds me a little of other artists, like Ben Shaun and Max Beckmann, where perfect proportions weren't the aim. The only thing that slightly bothers me about the nose is that it seems to be floating a little around that area. Maybe a light shadow would tie it in a little better. Maybe it wouldn't, but I can't see any pressing problems. I just enjoy what I see.

allanom
09-13-2003, 10:45 PM
Bob Dylan incarnate... It's gorgeous!

Luzie
09-13-2003, 11:44 PM
Thanks for taking the time!
I can't take credit for the composition though as I painted from a photo but I will pass the compliment on to the photographer, it was a major reason I wanted to paint this I found it very intriguing.
The area around the nose probably does need darkening, I have wondered about that, too. i'll double check the area beneath the nose but it could very well be off in proportion as the painting usually (in my case) always takes on a life of it's own after I am halfway into it:)
oh, and it's not Bogart:D but I thought it looked like him as well!

lyn lynch
09-14-2003, 02:16 AM
Excellent Phillip Marlow character. Quite different from how I paint, too, but I'm loving the mouth area--I can see the protruding teeth--very 1920s illustration work. Good photography makes the painter's job a pleasure--I love this piece.

dornberg
09-14-2003, 10:27 AM
good attention