PDA

View Full Version : Ageless Beauty

cindyjames
06-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Just finished... I think. Any changes I should make?

chuas2
06-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Hi Cindy,
Amazing work! The detail is just outstanding. The aging glaze on the pot is just perfect, not to mention those leaves (holy cow)!
Also masterful, the way you have the wood (detail also amazing), leading the eye into the point of focus, as are the trailing vines. Details about this piece? Size, medium, how long did it take you?

cindyjames
06-08-2013, 11:49 AM
This is acrylic on canvas, 20" x 24". It took too long! lol Those little leaves made me set it aside for a few months. I painted from a photo I took at the Phoenix Botanical Gardens.

chuas2
06-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Not surprising! Every detail is rendered so carefully. Also what I like is that it sort of reads as a square format, but doesn't have a "squeezed in" look. I like the composition. In a nutshell? Stupendous!!
:clap:

cindyjames
06-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Here is detail of the vase.

Rocky Barnett
06-09-2013, 04:40 AM
Oh my Gosh!...That's something to really be proud of !
No critique here (except 'magnificent'), even the signature looks great!
wow.

:thumbsup: Rocky

Forever Student
06-14-2013, 12:14 AM
Love looking at this image, envious of your ability to portray surface and texture - the slender shadows beneath the peeling glaze and smoothness of the background wall are great! I would not dare take on all those leaves... :)

D.W. Flint
06-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Beautiful work. Frame it !!

mv-Frank
06-17-2013, 11:27 PM
Cindy-
very nice piece! Nice drawing, and I agree about the nicely done texture and porous surface rendering!
From the geometry it seems that there should be a corner on the wall at the right (where the wood flower box has a corner), and therefore there should be a change in value on that wall-as it gets closer to the viewer on the R it should be the lightest part of the wall, or the darkest. Unless it's a flat wall and just runs off to the R. It just looks to me a little funny-like an optical illusion.
From the shadow underneath the vase, it would seem that the L side of the vase should have the brightest highlight, and more shadow on the R side-this would also help it look like it's rounding away from the viewer.
Otherwise I think it's a wonderful painting!
mv-Frank

hward
06-27-2013, 08:31 AM
The perspective is inaccurate. It looks like the floor slants down away from the wall, maybe about 45 degrees.

The texture is good. But you don't have a definite light source. For example, the branches coming out of the box throw no shadows, but the vase is throwing one. You need to think about everything in the entire painting and give each item good shadows. For example, the bottom half of each branch ....

Again the texture is good. It's more than just good, it's somewhat artistic. Bu the floor needs a bit more darkness in its texture. It looks a little crayon-coloring-bookish.

Congrats on a painting worth looking at. Such are a minority.

eyecandy2
06-28-2013, 04:00 PM
No comment. Lovely piece of work and worth the time.

cindyjames
06-28-2013, 08:18 PM
The wall is flat. The wooden box planter is at a right angle to the wall. I am considering what to do with the shadows. Thanks for all the helpful tips!

lunchbox
07-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Very nice effects, the vase is wonderful. Good suggestions about the shadows, there is a sharp shadow line behind the vase which you may like to soften and then extended to the wall if the wall is flat behind it. Additionally, if the wall is flat, there may be a shadow behind the flower box too. Adding some highlights to the leaves on the right will help to sink the leaves toward the back to add more depth.

jackpaton
07-14-2013, 07:56 AM
Detail and technique look just about as good as it can be. The only issue for me is the perspective somdhow makes me tilt my head looking for something but I cant put my finger on it! The only thing I can think it might be is the top of the vase; I am seeing it at eye level but looking down on the rest of it. A minor thing in what is a very well executed piece of work! Oh and maybe I'd add a wee mouse or spider!

bocote
07-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Your details are great, but the composition is flawed - specifically the perspective. For your next work lay out the perspective before hand to give you an idea of how the forms function together. A simple 1 point would work fine for someone like this.

The subjects are symbolic and lack depth. Each bit is a great performance, but when piled together its a record that is stuck on the same groove playing over and over.

have fun,

Rocky Barnett
07-18-2013, 12:30 AM
I don't want to be a nay sayer, but I think some of the advice about shadows / perspective you are getting aren't quite right.
As you have stated, this was done from a photograph....and the wall IS flat. I got that the first time I looked at your painting, I also notice there IS a shadow of a branch on the flower box.(not all branch shadows would be visible as some would be hidden behind other branches)
A shadow on the wall would be at odds with the shadow on the floor, and the angle of the shadow on the box!
My best advice;(to paraphrase Foster Caddell) You can paint the scene the way it could have happened,(make changes). But do not change beyond the realm of possibility,(for the sake of composition)
Look closely at the photo, if this is a literal painting of that, and that was your intention, then you painted it correctly. I think it is a beautiful painting with a lot of attention and work that is obvious to me.

Humbly
Rocky

HRobinson
07-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Hello Cindy. When we copy from photos, we have to make absolutely sure that the photo is well balanced (as bocote sees it...) or, we have to either search for photos that are appropriate or add and subtract things to suit ourselves. As a study showing your appreciation of the fine detail necessary to make a photo-like image, you nailed it solidly! What it appears you didn't do was to portray the source of light believably. The bottom cast shadow on the vase would indicate the main light source as being from directly above. So, the wider part of the vase on top would differ from the bottom of the vase as there would be a shadow cast on the lower portion by the upper. This is, perhaps, why we're reading the word 'flat' in reference to your piece. Also, some of the cast shadows of the branches and leaves seem to be missing. So, in this case it's not what we're seeing that's the problem it's what we know we SHOULD see and are not. It's a really easy fix -- since you have the minutia of detail working for you -- consider doing it for real yourself in a still life that you build. There's good color and a stylish twist in your method which makes you appreciated. -h