PDA

View Full Version : Moon Walk

gebhm
06-07-2013, 03:26 PM
From a picture we have all seen. Size is 20x24 and is water based oil. I have only been painting a short time so any feed back will be apreciated.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2013/899862-Moon_Walk_0.jpg

La_
06-07-2013, 05:06 PM
well done!
to add more atmospheric perspective (distance) you could sure soften/calm edges and values of the distant rubble.

la

gebhm
06-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Thanks. Soften distant edges and lighten the distant rubble. Makes sense to me just didn't see it.

Any other sugestions or comments would be most welcome.

Trumper
06-07-2013, 06:27 PM
You've only been painting a short time --blimey.Well done excellent :)

gebhm
06-10-2013, 11:48 AM
It may seem hard to believe but I have only been painting one year. This is actually only my fifth painting. In high school I did some drawing but after I enlisted in the Air Force all my art time went away. Now 34 years later I decided to get back at it. Wish I had been able to stay with it.

Rocky Barnett
06-13-2013, 05:48 AM
You are going to be a master one day! You have done a very good job of this famous photo.
One thing to keep in mind, on the moon there is NO atmosphere, so you don't apply normal painting guidelines for shadows and distance; everything is either directly lit or is illuminated by reflected light; so the contrast is very high compared to here on earth. Look closely at the photograph and paint what is there. It is very easy to be tempted to soften shadows like they are here on earth (illuminated by the sky above) because that is how we see them. On the moon the shadows are only modified by reflection from the ground or from the lunar lander. Otherwise shadows on the moon are completely black.
I must say however, this is a fine painting... Astonishing for a fifth! Congratulations ,this is good work. :clap:

Humbly
Rocky

gebhm
06-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Thank you very much for your comments and input. I never even thought about the difference between no atmosphere and atmosphere. What you say makes sense.

Dana Design
06-13-2013, 03:15 PM
Wow! This is good! Better than good! Keep painting and posting. Would like to follow up your work with you.

Well done!!!

gebhm
06-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Thank you for your comments. I intend to post more and paint more. For us beginers this web site is a blessing. I really like the virtual palette, it has come in very handy.

Dana Design
06-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Yay! We aim to please! :D

gebhm
06-13-2013, 03:45 PM
You have done that very well.