PDA

View Full Version : Do American Journey watercolors rewet well?

terranersa
06-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Tube paints are squeezed out into my metal palette box for travel. I bought a lot of these paints as they are quite economical compared to other brands but haven't used em yet. I also bought m graham's perylene maroon. It is so sexy as it stays in the palette box undrying, very easy to use. So impressed that I'm contemplating returning the american journeys if they don't play well with rewetting.

GramPat
06-07-2013, 05:15 PM
I use American Journey and love them. Saturated color, rewet beautifully, and very economical! I usually get the 37 ml. tubes for the colors I use the most. Won't trade them!

Pat

CharM
06-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Are they manufactured by DaVinci? Joyce Faulknor uses them and I sure LOVE her work!

Undergoose
06-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Are they manufactured by DaVinci?

I think they are, that's what Handprint says too. Looks like identical tubes with black caps and a different label.

You'll have to do some rooting around in the pigment info tabs to weed through all the crazy names and oddball mixes in order to figure out what the standard colors are, except for few. "Raw Umber Violet"? A premix of raw umber and quin violet isn't one that I'd have thought of. :)

As my Da Vinci tubes run out I'm going to try a few of them, as they're a significant savings (20+% on a lot of them for the same size!).

I haven't yet been able to find out if that means they've got 20% more filler or vehicle or something, though. All the reviews I've read about them have been very favorable.

virgil carter
06-07-2013, 06:31 PM
I've used American Journey and DaVinci for over 20 years. They are artist grade and perform as well as any other watercolor paint. Rewetting depends on the pigment. Spritz them and let them stand for 5-10 minutes and they are good to go.

American Journey, as I have often posted, are the most economical/ml watercolor available in the U.S. as far as I have seen.

Sling paint,
Virgil

CharM
06-07-2013, 07:08 PM
They aren't available in Canada. But, the DaVinci is comparably priced here so it's not a big deal. I've been using DaVinci for a couple of years also.

Undergoose
06-07-2013, 07:18 PM
I concur with what Virgil says on the quality, it was his recommendations that got me to try Da Vinci in the first place, and I prefer them over the others I've tried, Holbein, M Graham, Winsor & Newton, Sennelier (new formula), Sakura, Yarka St. Pete, Lukas, Daler-Rowney, Maimeri Blu, Mijello, etc.

Edit: Erp...disclaimer - I really like M Graham and Sennelier in my studio palettes, they're awesome, they rewet better than anything I've tried. I only like Da Vinci better because, for me, they work equally well in the studio or the field.

I had high hopes for Lukas, and I still like them for their outstanding value and quality coming out of the tube, but as I've been using them dry/rewet, I've noticed that every time they dry out, they're getting harder to rewet and cracking more and more. I'm not sure why.

If Virgil recommends American Journey, then I'm excited about trying it, because he was spot-on with the Da Vinci recommendation.

Now I just need to figure out the pigment composition of "Brown Derby", "Coffee With Cream", "June Bug", etc. :p

M.L. Schaefer
06-08-2013, 05:30 AM
Yep, they are made by Da Vinci...I love their Magnetite and Arizona Red! Fabulous. American Journey does have special paints with white in the mix, and tubes with two or more pigments (which is not a problem to me because paint manufacturers have the skill and expertise to make multi-pigment mixes work - although I do love mixing my own!) I haven't had any problems in rewetting the colors I have.

:heart: Margarete

virgil carter
06-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Karl, if you like AJ's paint titles, you'll love "Red Hot Mamma" paint! With a name like that, who cares about pigment numbers?

Try and match that title all you marketeers at Daniel Smith!

Sling it Mamma!
Virgil

PS: Margarete is spot on: AJ does have a range of "specialty" paints, with colors picked by/named for a variety of watercolor painters. One needs to look at the pigment contents for each paint to know what they are buying. Cheap is friends with a lot of nationally recognized painters and makes paints that many individual painters like and use frequently, i.e., Andrews Turquoise, named for Don Andrews and "Skip's Green", named for Skip Lawrence.

Less one think that Cheap is simply a retailer, he won a prestigious award for one of his paintings in this year's American Watercolor Society show, I believe.

PPSS: FWIW, AJ paints are less expensive than DaVinci, making them a strong bargain, at least in the U.S.

DaveCrow
06-08-2013, 08:44 AM
I love my American Journey paints! They reset beautifully for me.

Cheap Joe's does list the pigment make ups on their site and has toned down the colour names a bit.

June Bug, one of my favorites, is a combination of Prussian Blue PB27 and Phthalocyanine Blue PG7.

If you click on the stock numbers in the colour list it takes you to the individual colours and gives their composition.

Undergoose
06-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Karl, if you like AJ's paint titles, you'll love "Red Hot Mamma" paint! With a name like that, who cares about pigment numbers?

Ahh, once bitten twice shy, my friend, I won't be duped again!

All fun and games for a summer of warm sun and beauty, then you wake up one autumn morning and all the red is gone from your life. Along with your checkbook and car keys.

Caliente no es bueno! Mamma's rap sheet will be getting Googled rigorously.

Now, if Joe comes up with "Sweet girl from church" or "Babe that knows how to put gas in the car", I might be in trouble... :lol:

M.L. Schaefer
06-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Whoops, a correction, Magnetitie doesn't rewet easily, but is so wonderful its worth the effort.

Yep, Janet's Rose (Janet Rogers) is supposed to be marvelous, especially for skin color!

:heart: Margarete

GramPat
06-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Raw umber violet is one I got on a whim. Got the 15 ml size and wish I had got the 37 ml! I love it and use it sometimes for shadows and rocks. When my students saw it, they all wanted a dab on their palettes as well.

Sometimes buying on a whim is a good thing. I believe that they are only available through Cheap Joe's and the are made by DaVinici. The names sometimes are confusing, but I love a bit of whimsy.

The telephone operators are very helpful and knowledgeble. If they don't know an answer they WILL find out for you. One time they called me back the next day with more info. Now, that is Customer Service!

Pat