PDA

View Full Version : Do your pets 'help' you in the studio?

artdragon86
06-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Over in the palette addicts thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1038992&page=28), a few of us mentioned our dogs, so I thought I'd start a just-for-fun thread for people to post pictures or stories of their animals helping or hindering them in their work area. Does your cat blend your pastels with her tail? Does your dog improve your paintings by leaving a big nosemark right in the middle of your freshly painted sky? As much as I try to keep my dog out of the lounge room while I'm painting or drawing, he always manages to sneak in :lol:

Here's a picture of my boy, Rex, 'supervising' while I was playing with some new M Graham watercolours a while back (cross-posted from palette addicts thread):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2013/979335-Rex_with_watercolours_small.jpg

Looking forward to seeing other people's furbabies :clap:

birdhs
06-04-2013, 10:05 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2013/110200-DSCN0010-450.jpg

Heidi, Peaches and Silver.
in one of the rare moments when they are all in one place
and not sleeping directly UNDER the easel...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2013/110200-DSCN2175-E1-450web.jpg

Peaches sleeping in front of the door
in 5 minutes she will wake up and do that doggie shake thing
you know, the one where they fill the air
with hair
and dander
and the tail knocks something over

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2013/110200-HEIDI_90_08_SILVER,_PEACHES_with_GREG.JPG

Time to rest after a long day in the studio....

greggo

Saint Ragdoll
06-04-2013, 12:05 PM
My chihuahua Beau, has a bed underneath one of the tables in my studio. He is just happy to be near me...
The other table is directly under a window...the $&/#}#< cat, Tom, will take a leap from the floor onto the table ( especially if I have an open wet palette, water pot or wet painting, he lurks waiting for his opprotunity ) then from the table where he just caused chaos and some seriously creative cursing on my part, to the window ledge. Repeat the manoever in reverse, complete with chaos and cursing, when he sees I have cleaned up the mess he made...sigh...

Tom hasnt been with us long, the other cats have short, dark normal cat hair while Tom's hair is short, white and very fluffy and soft, feels like rabbit fur....and sticks to EVERYTHING .
And, Yep, you guessed it , hair everywhere. It's like he moves around in a cloud of floating hair....and he is such a loving, considerate cat, he wants to SHARE his love and his hair!
Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

Undergoose
06-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Bones likes to deposit as much hair into my wet palettes as he can. :) That's another reason I like Da Vinci over M Graham.

My M Graham palette looks like a white Chia Pet with all the Bones' hair in it. :p

Rebecca, you have the shortest art table I've ever seen. hehe

~JMW~
06-04-2013, 12:58 PM
I have a cat that always comes into the studio when I go to paint. She often lays on the area where I place my brushes and her tail will pass over the paints. She will hang aroud for hours and doesn't like to leave when I want to close up.
A few times she has gotten shut inside overnight, but only shredded the papertowel roll.:rolleyes:

The dogs will come and go if the dooor is open , somethmes they will lay right behind me and when I step back to get a distance view, I will nearly trip over them..

Dragoon
06-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Ha!
I have a tiny white bird (cockatiel) that can out-dander animals five times his size. There is always a layer of white dust on my rinse water bowls, paints and dark blue vinyl table cloth.
And the FEATHERS, oh my! I'm constantly amazed at how he can shed the amount of feathers he does, and not be bald!

He is also jealous of my art tools.
He sees me with something in my hand (brush, pencil) and he is then in relentless pursuit! He will climb up onto me again and again, so desperate is he to take a bite of what I've got. Most of my journals have tiny bites taken out of them somewheres..

Oh well, pets provide inspiration, right?
D.

artdragon86
06-04-2013, 11:16 PM
Tom hasnt been with us long, the other cats have short, dark normal cat hair while Tom's hair is short, white and very fluffy and soft, feels like rabbit fur....and sticks to EVERYTHING .
And, Yep, you guessed it , hair everywhere. It's like he moves around in a cloud of floating hair....and he is such a loving, considerate cat, he wants to SHARE his love and his hair!
Teresa
Saint Ragdoll
hehe Our house is pretty much full of dog hair. Rex has made it a personal mission to make everything as furry as he is :lol: Would be good if someone could develop a cat-proof palette and mixing jar hehe Rex is mostly pretty good, usually he just observes my artist exploits without joining in, but one day I did come in after getting a drink to find that the sky I'd painted smoothly had a big splodge in the middle. I turned around to see Rex sitting in the corner, trying to look all innocent with a blue nose :rolleyes: I cleaned it off right away but luckily I hadn't used cobalt or any nasty colours.

Gorgeous doggies, Greggo. Looks like you need a couch just for them. I know that doggy shake all too well, Rex is an expert.

Karl, my proper desk is usually taken up with my laptop and uni work, so when I want to paint or draw I find it easier to set up a big board on the floor so I can spread out all my gear.

Dragoon, I think Rex might be in cahoots with your cockatiel, as he sometimes likes to 'examine' my art supplies a bit more closely. The other day I was teasing him with a cheap paint brush by softly flicking him on the nose, and he snatched it out of my hand and ran off with it and hid it somewhere, and I haven't seen it since :evil:

This was Rex a few weeks ago while I was trying to mark assignments:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2013/979335-Rex_Under_Desk.jpg Often he doesn't care what I am doing as long as he is as close to me as possible.

Dragoon
06-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Ah, you just reminded me...

Years ago, my dog had fun playing with a brand new size 20 goat hair mop!

Here it is now. The handle is so badly splintered that repair is out of the question...I just took some really wide tape and taped it up!
D.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2013/117057-2013_0605Card10003.JPG

Undergoose
06-05-2013, 08:52 PM
LOL! The worst so far has been a couple of brand new sea sponges that mysteriously disappeared off my desk and later wound up as much smaller sea sponges in the vacuum cleaner.

I was actually playing with my goat mop with Bones one day, all "I'm gonna getcha!" and dusting him on the head with it. As his eyes lit up with "Oh boy!! Throw the moppy toy! Throw the moppy toy", I realized what I was doing and quickly grabbed something cheaper and squeakier. :D

CharM
06-05-2013, 10:51 PM
Two of my three *Helpers*. This is why I never, ever use toxic paints like Cadmiums or any of the heavy metals... :) Yummmmm... paint water.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2013/20514-Helpers.jpg

This would be our little Baby Feral, Sneakers (someone dropped him off)... he's lame as his little knee was crushed and is now fused... he thinks he owns and rules the house... he steals things... kneaded erasers, brushes, sponges and yes, plants. Here he is pretending he doesn't see the cactus that he pulled out of its pot:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2013/20514-Catbrat.jpg

Antiqueteacher
06-06-2013, 12:22 AM
Our male Ragdoll cat is a 'stapler' and he doesn't care what he 'staples'. . .so, paper is never left out even to leave the room for a second!! The sound of any paper and he is there just waiting to 'help'!! :rolleyes:

My brushes are under cover whenever I leave the room, too. Our female Rag loves to play with them and has been known to drink the water. . .yuk!! :lol: I have found a cat hair or two in my paintings. . .:angel: :rolleyes:

It would be nice to be able to close the door to my studio, but it is my kitchen table! :D

Katherine :music: :music:

skappy
06-06-2013, 01:25 AM
Nice pet stories Char you cats look good love the new one
My cats just come in the studio to ask for food they eventualy leave a few hair
Robert:cat:

M.L. Schaefer
06-06-2013, 02:44 AM
Such a GREAT Thread!

Rex is beautiful (I'm crazy for German Shepherds)!

Char, I know that look! Little kittie knows exactly what he did, he's just waiting to see if YOU know what he did!

Ah, Katherine, you wouldn't last five minutes with a shut door, they would guilt you into opening it!

My little jealousy cats...I think they hang around just to distract me! Pet me, pet me, is their mantra! But, I know when Boo has been on my art table again. It's her favorite perch to watch the birds, the squirrels, and just "people" as they walk by. I have very large mason/storage jars with hinged tops...it's become a habit to always just pop them closed. Lucky me, they find no kinship with brushes (maybe that's a doggie thing).

And, yes, you do have the SHORTEST TABLE I've ever seen, Rebecca!

Greggo, what a wonderful handful you have! Karl, Joy, everyone, your stories are a joy and a hoot to hear!

:heart: Margarete

defeated
06-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Two of my three *Helpers*. This is why I never, ever use toxic paints like Cadmiums or any of the heavy metals... :) Yummmmm... paint water.
[/IMG]

I wish I knew what it was about the paint water! I'm almost tempted to try it myself and see what the fuss is. The dogs could care less, but the cats give me downright nasty looks when I snatch the jar away from them. For some reason, the water from my old Koi kit seems to be a favorite

artdragon86
06-07-2013, 08:43 PM
I wish I knew what it was about the paint water! I'm almost tempted to try it myself and see what the fuss is.
I tried it once (by accident; I made the error of having a drinking glass similar to my water jar and happened to put them down beside each other).

On the whole, I'd rather a nice glass of apple juice or something :lol: Luckily Rex has never been interested in my paint water; he'll give it a sniff of curiosity but he generally just likes to sit with his nose touching my paper so he can make sure I'm doing it properly :smug:

Undergoose
06-07-2013, 08:49 PM
I've never partaken of my brush water (I use square containers because I know it'd happen), but I've wet my brush countless times in my tea.

Gives a whole new angle to "Earl Grey"... :p

Bones is very interested in my M Graham palette, so I try to keep that one on the other side of his access. He mostly leaves the others alone. :)

Mayberry
06-08-2013, 12:44 AM
My art table is in the kitchen right next to the back door. I have five cats. It's always right when I'm in the middle of painting a wash that at least one of the cats needs door service. I'm just right there by the door, so how can I possibly make them wait?

And it's always when I try to just quickly open and close the door before the paint starts creating a hard edge, that the cat needs to take extra time standing in the doorway.

For a while I had a big, roomy office type chair at my art table, and in cold weather all the cats would pile on the chair, on me and around me while I painted. It just wasn't very productive, as the cats were more concerned with their own comfort and little territorial squabbles than with my painting. So I got a stool for myself, and put a couple kitchen chairs with soft pillows on them for the cats to sit on nearby. Sam still jumps on my lap sometimes while I paint, but he's generally well-mannered about it. He is too sophisticated to hang out with the other cats.

tigre255
06-09-2013, 11:50 AM
One of your dogs looks just like a dog I had a few years ago, sadly she has crossed over about a year ago. Miss her a lot. She looks just like your your one in the middle. They could be twins
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2013/110200-DSCN0010-450.jpg

Heidi, Peaches and Silver.
in one of the rare moments when they are all in one place
and not sleeping directly UNDER the easel...

greggo

Lawrence Fox
06-10-2013, 10:25 AM
One day, I left a painting of a Blue Jay (the bird, not the baseball team) sitting on the dining room table. My son and I were in the kitchen and he said "what's that scraping noise?" We looked in dining room to see Dash The Cat licking the paint off the picture! (So I guess I can legitimately state that the "cat ate my homework!").

She's done it a few times since on some paint swatches.

I now no longer leave pictures face up anywhere she can get to them.

Somewhere I have a picture of her "helping" with some other stuff--I'll see if I can find it--it might be on my other computer...

Lawrence Fox
06-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Here's Dash saying "You really didn't want to paint anything tonight, did you?"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2013/103344-Dash_Upload.jpg

Saint Ragdoll
06-14-2013, 11:22 AM
I love the photos!!! I have 3 cats and a Chihuahua. The 2 tomcats, Tom and Phu are in and out of my studio.
Tom really really wants to get into the window above my painting table to sun bathe, , of course when he jumps up or down, it creats chaos, no matter if I have a painting inprogress of just the normal art stuff laying on the table. However, one day I had my spray/mist bottle in hand and now To has a healthy respect for spritzed water! (Insert wicked cackle)

Phu weighs 20 pounds...and where does a 20 pound cat go? Anywhere he can get to!! He is my troublemaker, for awhile we had a battle of wits to see if I could figure out a way to keep a container of water (covered!!) on my table without Phu drinking and/or knocking it over and spilling all over. I won that battle....he rubs against my easel legs, yep, you guesses, easel collaspes usually with a wetpainting, water pot, and wet palette on it in a symphony of crashing and curses.....

He also does this attention getting thins we call "assasi-cat" combo of assasian and cat. He began it with my hubby when he was playing the game assasian's creed on his computer so thats why the name........
.Phu comes up to the sitting human, rears himself up on his hind legs, sometimes bracing with one front paw on the humans chair, then delicately, ever so delicately he unsheaths one, just one, claw on his front paw and tap, tap, poke, poke the humans bare arm. Then back down on all fours to wait for the human to pay him attention, he upps the ante by tapping/poking harder if you ignore him,,,,repeat till he drives the human crazy. Sometimes if he is not tryingto be sneaky he murps, making a soft mew murp trill sort of sound, while he assasicats you.....
And he gets into other michief too......

The dog, Beau just likes to be near me....he has a bed in my studio. But he'd prefer to be curled in a ball on my lap. Beau doesnt cause any problems at all.And is an exellent listner and critic..he likes it all, especially if it is accompnied by a treat!
But, no matter how much michief they get into, I wouldnt be without them.

Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

CharM
06-14-2013, 03:39 PM
This is such a fun thread... Our big black guy, Tuxedo, has always loved to be one of my helpers. Even as a kitten back in 2006, he was always there to offer assistance:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2013/20514-BabyTux.jpg

Keep the photos and stories coming!

ReggieS
06-14-2013, 06:29 PM
WE have a black lab , Greta and A white shorthair cat, Milkshake (AKA "Milky"). They both like to hang out in the kitchen where I paint under the table (Greta) or on a chair next to the table (Milky). They both shed like crazy so there is always hair in my water and paints. Plus Milky will jump up and drink the rinse water when I leave the table. Must taste good!!!

This is a great thread!

Reggie

artdragon86
06-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Love all the pictures of everyone's fur-kids :) I think pets have to make sure they're near us when we're busy painting so we don't forget about them. Otherwise how will we be able to pay them any attention? :lol:

For some reason, Rex also has to 'inspect' any new deliveries of art supplies I get:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2013/979335-Jan_2013_Rex_art_supplies.jpg
After I took this I left the room, and when I came back, Rex (for some inexplicable reason) was sitting in the large cardboard box my art supplies had come in, which I'd left on the floor. Rascal jumped out again before I could take a photo but the look on his face (like, "This is MY box now") was hilarious.

Antiqueteacher
06-15-2013, 01:52 PM
Thought about this thread this morning as I was mopping up Watercolor paint from the kitchen (my Studio) to the bathroom in the back of the house. When I retrieved Maggie, my Ragdoll cat with the Paine's Gray foot, she was not happy to know that we were going to wash her foot with water!! :lol: :lol: As she cried and wiggled, Colter was beside himself on the floor! :rolleyes: (Don't even want to know what they discussed after I freed her from her torture!! :lol: ) You would think by now that I would cover all my paints every time, but. . .:angel: (The paper was moved and the brushes covered. . .but, everything is fair game to our darlings in fur!! :heart: )

Wish I had pictures, but it was all happening too quickly. Just imagine a white footed cat with Paine's Gray on it. . .a bit obvious who did the crime!! :lol:

Katherine :music: :music: