PDA

View Full Version : Omg!!! The Price Of Paint!

MadDogMcQ
06-04-2013, 08:56 AM
I just went into my local art supplier to buy some Indian Red and some Rose Madder tubes. To my utter amazement (it's been a while since I had to buy tubes), a 15ml Indian Red was 9!!

Worse still was the STAGGERING price of a 15ml Daniel Smith Rose Madder at 21!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

What is going on???

Tom

virgil carter
06-04-2013, 09:02 AM
You've done yourself a favor, Tom. If the Rose Madder is the traditional "Genuine" (NR9), it's fugitive and shouldn't be used on anything other that a temporary-lifespan illustration.

DS price on their U.S. website is $20.34 USD for a 15 ml tube, without shipping.

Good luck!

Sling paint,
Virgil

Irishman
06-04-2013, 10:07 AM
I'd go along with Virgil here.If you didn't buy,lucky escape.Rose Madder and 'permanent' do not go in the one sentence.Bromleys,Jacksons??

Aderynglas
06-04-2013, 10:52 AM
I find Jackson's own watercolours excellent value, and also Sennelier - but Senn. do have some mixtures I find pointless, rather than a single pigment paint, I simply avoid those :wink2:

Have a look here

Jackson's Watercolour Paints (http://www.jacksonsart.com/Art_Departments-A-Z_All_Departments-Watercolour_Painting-Watercolour_Colour/c2129_2128_2364_6970/index.html)

MadDogMcQ
06-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Oh Bugger!! I did buy it :( Got 5% discount, but what you guys are saying has made the purchase even worse! I only bought it because I'm filling a Fletcher-Watson palette with his recommended colours so that I can follow his DVD's and Books.

Tom

Saint Ragdoll
06-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Tom, take it back, if you havent used it....WN makes a permanent rose that may work in the place of the fugative color...or you could just use it for practicing Fletcher-Watson techniques and buy the Perm rose after you have used up the Rose Madder Genuine.
And I feel your wallet pain, I just ordered a bunch of paint from Daniel Smith.....I try to wait for sales, or at least discounted or free shipping.....
Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

MadDogMcQ
06-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Well I think I gotta try it now that I bought it Teresa. It's a bit like Pulp Fiction where Vincent just has to try that $5 Shake :-)

Irishman
06-04-2013, 02:30 PM
As Teresa said,use it for now.I remember buying Aureolin and Aliz Crimson and discovering they were fugitive.Absolutely raging ! But better to know for the future.I think Fletcher Watson used the Rose Madder for warming up his skies and as Teresa said,Perm Rose is a good replacement.

CharM
06-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Don't do it! Take it back! Tom, what if you painted your Masterpiece and used the fugitive Rose Madder on it?????

I believe there are more economical choices for you on your side of the Pond. Here, I cannot afford to buy Winsor & Newton paints because they are way too expensive.

scribblet
06-06-2013, 07:54 AM
That's $32.45 U.S.D. quite a markup I guess from D.S. own price. Would it be cheaper to buy from D.S. on line and pay shipping. It might be worthwhile waiting for one of their 20% off sales then buy a few things. I've bought some of their triads but the shipping is free in N.A.

Guess what D.S. has a 20% off right now

http://www.danielsmith.com/content--id-656?utm_source=Body&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Web&utm_campaign=130606DSmithGWP

I got the offer in an email but don't see it on their site yet.. the code at checkout is W20PEARL ends on June 109th.

Quinacridone Gold
06-20-2013, 05:31 PM
Yes the D.S. sales are great, if you live in the US.

They will no longer ship to Australia though, since we have our own suppliers who mark up the series 1 to over $17 - and that was when the Aussie Dollar was higher than the US dollar. Having used D.S. since 1996 it really @$%#^ me!

Brindle
06-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Welp, there are some DS colors I buy because they are the only ones offering them. But in general I try to buy DaVinci first, or else Lukas if possible. Definitely worth looking into other brands for the same pigment (NOT color name, since those can vary) if available.

artdragon86
06-21-2013, 05:41 AM
Yes the D.S. sales are great, if you live in the US.

They will no longer ship to Australia though, since we have our own suppliers who mark up the series 1 to over $17 - and that was when the Aussie Dollar was higher than the US dollar. Having used D.S. since 1996 it really @$%#^ me!
If you have a look at WetPaintArt (http://www.wetpaintart.com/index.htm), they have decent prices on the DS paints - roughly the same as DS - and if you buy a few at a time, it makes up for the shipping (I haven't ordered recently but last time I did, I think it cost about $18 to post around 10 tubes, which considering that postage in Aus is about $10 for the same, isn't bad).

Or, if you want to buy locally, The Art Shop (http://www.theartshop.com.au/) has series 1 for $13 and from what I've seen, they are the lowest priced Australian retailer who stocks DS.

I am putting together an order from WetPaint now since there are a few colours I really want. I am going to just get 8-10 at a time every few months until I have the colours I want; would love to buy them all at once but it'd break the bank :lol:

painterbear
06-21-2013, 06:55 AM
I only bought it because I'm filling a Fletcher-Watson palette with his recommended colours so that I can follow his DVD's and Books.

Tom, Be aware that many of these artists are being bankrolled by different paint manufacturers to promote their materials in their books and DVDs.

You can always use materials you have on hand that are similar, if not identical, to practice the lessons. You are trying to learn techniques, not just replicate the paintings, right. ;)

I agree with the others...check out what they want you to buy for things like lightfastness and permanence before spending your money on them. Not all artists are aware (as yet) of how important these are.

Sylvia

alexs
06-21-2013, 08:12 AM
Scribblet
Are you sure about the shipping costs beeing free in NA? Living in Canada I have always paid the shipping
Alex

LynnM
06-21-2013, 12:45 PM
I think it is only for the triads, I got a couple a while ago with free shipping.

janinco
06-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Have you ever bought from SAA? They have lots of brands and shipping is free in the UK if you're a member or 4.50 pounds if you're not. Here's a link to the Daniel Smith paints:

http://www.saa.co.uk/artmaterials/daniel-smith-watercolours-4033.html

Jan

sprintgt
06-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Never mind Tom, at least you don't have to put it in a cheap plastic palette.

scribblet
06-27-2013, 06:22 PM
Scribblet
Are you sure about the shipping costs beeing free in NA? Living in Canada I have always paid the shipping
Alex
Shipping is free only for the Triads... I've bought a few :angel:

artdragon86
06-28-2013, 01:44 AM
If you have a look at WetPaintArt (http://www.wetpaintart.com/index.htm), they have decent prices on the DS paints - roughly the same as DS - and if you buy a few at a time, it makes up for the shipping (I haven't ordered recently but last time I did, I think it cost about $18 to post around 10 tubes, which considering that postage in Aus is about $10 for the same, isn't bad).

I am putting together an order from WetPaint now since there are a few colours I really want. I am going to just get 8-10 at a time every few months until I have the colours I want; would love to buy them all at once but it'd break the bank :lol:
Gah! I went to put in my WetPaint order and postage has gone from $18 to $25. That, coupled with the lower Australian dollar, has put DS out of my price range, I'm afraid :( I can see paying $13 for a series 1 tube but I can't justify paying $25-30 for a higher series tube.

StewGold
06-28-2013, 03:10 PM
I have a terrible feeling I'm as well known in WetpaintArt as I am in My local store in Glasgow. I place an order to collect on every visit to Minnesota. Go there, chat a lot, leave a big bag of "Soor Plooms" ( Bright green, hard, sour boiled sweets ) and go to Wholefoods for peppermint lip balms. The Daniel Smith paints really are pretty nice, though I don't like their cereuleum granulation as much as that from Kremer or Barvy Umpton. Why not find a way to pool some orders and send a big box to someone and then send out the individual orders?

Leslie.

Quinacridone Gold
07-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Gah! I went to put in my WetPaint order and postage has gone from $18 to $25. That, coupled with the lower Australian dollar, has put DS out of my price range, I'm afraid :( I can see paying $13 for a series 1 tube but I can't justify paying $25-30 for a higher series tube.

Hmm and the dollar keeps dropping again. Still, it was at 67 or so when I returned to Australia and I still bought them. PM me if there are colours you just want a pan or half pan Rebecca - we Aussies have to help each other out and as you know I have a LOT of colours.

I have tried every DS colour now, including a bunch they don't make any more. Now to make my way through the Da Vinci range...love those big tubes........

artdragon86
07-09-2013, 11:56 PM
Hmm and the dollar keeps dropping again. Still, it was at 67 or so when I returned to Australia and I still bought them. PM me if there are colours you just want a pan or half pan Rebecca - we Aussies have to help each other out and as you know I have a LOT of colours.

I have tried every DS colour now, including a bunch they don't make any more. Now to make my way through the Da Vinci range...love those big tubes........
What are the Da Vinci paints like? I have heard they are about the most economical but I have yet to see anyone who sells them in Australia. Did you find them locally or do you order those from overseas as well? How well do they rewet if you squeeze them into a palette/pan and let them dry? I plan to use up my WN colours but after they are gone I would like to switch to another brand that is affordable and rewets well (I really like my M Grahams but they are too sloppy in large quantities).

Thank you for the offer of the DS pans, I will PM you (would have replied earlier but I wasn't subscribed to this thread and only just saw your response).

virgil carter
07-10-2013, 08:19 AM
I've used DaVinci and American Journey (presumed made by DaVinci for Cheap Joes) for many years and find them very satisfactory. Rewetting depends on the pigment. Same as for other manufacturers, some pigments rewet quicker and easier than others, but all seem workable, whether painting daily, weekly, or...? Good luck on your paint exploration.

Sling paint,
Virgil

CharM
07-10-2013, 08:37 AM
Rebecca, I use DaVinci in my Classes that I teach at our Cultural Centre. Since we create Watercolour Kits for the Students to purchase, we try to make the purchase as economical as possible. Naturally, I use exactly what our Students use.

I really like this brand. It does reactivate easily. The pigment load in the tubes is excellent. And, we can buy the tubes in 15 or 37 ml sizes.

Here in Ontario, Canada, the cost is fairly comparable to M. Graham and D. Smith. Winsor & Newton is just too expensive at about twice the price per ml!

Quinacridone Gold
07-13-2013, 09:56 PM
What are the Da Vinci paints like? I have heard they are about the most economical but I have yet to see anyone who sells them in Australia. Did you find them locally or do you order those from overseas as well? How well do they rewet if you squeeze them into a palette/pan and let them dry? I plan to use up my WN colours but after they are gone I would like to switch to another brand that is affordable and rewets well (I really like my M Grahams but they are too sloppy in large quantities).

Thank you for the offer of the DS pans, I will PM you (would have replied earlier but I wasn't subscribed to this thread and only just saw your response).

Hi Rebecca. Da Vinci paints were recommended by CharM so they must be good! I have tried quite a few of them but can't buy them locally. Ho hum. I think the UK sites have the best shipping to Australia at the moment. I found the Ultramarine, Burnt Sienna, Raw Umber, Burnt Umber and Hansa light comparable with D.S or even better. The Benz Orange deep is gorgeous - best orange I have found apart from DS Transparent Pyrrol orange that I like to use as my warm red. The Gamboge is almost as nice as DS new gamboge, the viridian is way better than DS (what isn't?) and the Naphthal red is lovely. I prefer DS yellow ochre but there's not much in it. I posted all of those and more in the 'try it dots' thread if you want to have a look.

I am noticing that they don't always dry out totally, but it's been so wet lately that it could just be the weather.