PDA

View Full Version : Maxfields Tramp

ragman100
06-03-2013, 10:53 AM
This is my latest painting. I was browsing a book on Maxfield Parrish and was intrigued by his Tramp from 1906. I painted the tramp at an evening meal whereas Parrish painted him im day light. What do you think??http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2013/976255-IMG10009_5.JPG

mtnrunner
06-12-2013, 12:14 AM
Nice work! The foreshortening of the legs ( really hard to do) is drawn well.
Actually, good drawing all around. My one suggestion would be to darken the values overall on the figure, and use the firelight a bit more dramatically. Its night, and colors will be subdued, and what colors you do see will be heavily i fluenced by the firelight ( ie, warmer, redder, but not daylight bright).
This has some good things going on- fire is done well, and the sky is really lovely. Makes me wish I could see more of that moon!

Dana Design
06-12-2013, 10:30 AM
His face and hands look like they're in sunlight. I'd darken those values and, of course, there would be a reflection from the fire as well.

Do remember that a round very light disk is going to draw the eye immediately so I'd definitely do something with the can lid. Again, firelight reflections?

ragman100
06-13-2013, 04:27 PM
mtn runner/dana design
Thanks for your comments. Will take another look at it. Yeah that can lid looks like a flashlight. It disturbed me but I couldn't quite put my finger on it

Dana Design
06-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Well, I just think that the face, hands and ankles would be much warmer in color than it is now. But it's really NICE work!

DerekMoore
06-17-2013, 05:49 AM
mtn runner/dana design
Thanks for your comments. Will take another look at it. Yeah that can lid looks like a flashlight. It disturbed me but I couldn't quite put my finger on it
It is surely very good thought to consider. Even I would love to apply it very soon. Thanks again:clap: :clap: