GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Mary
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Mary is my mother. She passed away 3 years ago and had started oil painting at age 70. I recieved her painting supplies even though I had never painted.I found Helene Smith (Art Works) in Windsor Ontario She has been my mentor for the last 2 years and and with her guidance and love of paiting its now time to dedicate my love of painting to her.I found a picture of her at her easel and thats what I am reproducing.This gift of mary will be given to my brothers and sisters at Christmas. By the way I am 53 and have posted two other paintins before Mary. I have found that the artist of the world are wonderful in supporting new comers to the comunity. Thanks Darcy

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
am not complete by I would like as much feed back as possible inorder to keep me on track. This painting is so important to me.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pero lane
09-12-2003, 02:43 PM
I am not a portrait painter so I'll let the experts help you on that. Just wanted you to know that you're off to a great start & that this gift will be cherished by your brothers and sisters...not just because it's your Mom...but also because you've taken the time to share something precious.:)

jocelynsart
09-12-2003, 02:52 PM
Hi Darcy: I think this is a lovely reason for doing this portrait. That is important and I really applaud you here.
Technically, I don't want to get too picky on the portrait as I realize you are still learning and feeling your way along.
I think that keeping this loose as opposed to too tight and detaily would be good. But, don't try to do what does not flow naturally for you. Try just to keep your painting consistent in style and strokes if you can. So far it looks fine.
I like the glasses being suggested here, I would not add too much strong linework for more detail on the rims. They are good so far. The mouth seems a bit akward but I fear it is just due to your lack of experience probably. Just double check shapes and where areas of the mouth line up according to the nose, eyes, etc. See if things fall under where they do in your reference. I feel the shape may be off a bit or stretching too far outward. Teeth, less is more. Just suggest shading and keep the stronger highlights in front. Mauves and blue brown greys work nicely if not too dark, shading teeth as they go behind the lips. Don't bother adding dividing lines. You have them pretty well on their way already.
The hair looks fine already. It is a bit cut out looking on the right but a bit of shading for depth will help. I tend to do background, hair, then come in a bit with background over edges then defining hairs at edges. Thsi gives hair more levels and depth for me and does not sit it flat against the background.
I like your background colours. I don't see many problems with this portrait too much yet. Just keep going. Try to let your hand work on it's own, creating the shapes of the face, highlights, shadows and planes as you go. Don't worry too much about detail until the ending stage. Then you can define things and add little sharp darks, lights, etc. where your eye "wants" them and according to the light direction. I'd keep this loose if it were mine.
Nice studio space! Glad to see nto everyone works at the dining room table! lol
What a wonderful gift!
Joss