PDA

View Full Version : ** Daily Wash Monday 3rd June 2013**

shipbroker
06-03-2013, 01:03 AM
Good Morning all.

Back to rubbish nights sleep again.

Lovely morning here and forecast good too.

Doris, what a problem..... sorry I have no answers but they must go! Even if you have to start packing your own bags to show them.
geoff

Yorky
06-03-2013, 02:04 AM
Good morning all. Another lovely morning here.

Just awoken after a strange dream, our neighbours employed a. Dodgy builder who came in the night and built a barricade arround their front door :lol: :confused:

Only 5 sleeps before we are off for 8 days holiday in Jersey with friends. I am really looking forward to it, I have always wanted to go there.

Poor Doris, hope you can get rid of your visitors from hell:crossfingers:

Hope we hear from Darla and Larry soon.

Doug

Undergoose
06-03-2013, 03:14 AM
*best Guido voice*

Yo, Doris...you want Dougie and I should come up 'der and break 'der ferrules?

Wait, which Jersey did you mean, Doug? hehe

Happy Monday everyone! *a single, weak and dissonant party favor squeaks somewhere in the back*

:p

doppler
06-03-2013, 04:42 AM
Good evening all.

Doris... Keep calm but get cross.

After all the b ......d mentioned DOG in LOUIE'S domain. And yours :angel:

DON'T hang yourself Doris. :heart: Just stab him with his own maxed out credit card. BTW this is not an incitement to crime.

Give him an account . Itemised.:) In a day or so.

shipbroker
06-03-2013, 05:15 AM
Remember when JudyL mentioned 'The Magic Roundabout' in relation to Darla, and herself.......

This is what the plan of it is:-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2013/84585-magic_roundabout.jpg

And this is it in practice on a quiet day:-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2013/84585-magic2.jpg

For anyone with experience of roundabouts it is still a nightmare..

geoff

doppler
06-03-2013, 05:30 AM
Looks like a square round to me Geoff :eek:

Ellen in Ont
06-03-2013, 07:46 AM
:wave: everyone,
It is 1 and snowing huge flakes! It's supposed to warm up to seasonal starting tomorrow but I'm afraid the birds won't be successful nesting this year. :(

I never did get any tummy problems on the trip. The rumblings turned out to be nothing so I would recommend taking Dukoral before travelling. We did and had no problems. A lot of the people didn't and had travellers diarrhea. My DIL was still not well yesterday.

I'm not on my computer so I'll come back later to post a few pics.

Doris - stand your ground and don't let them stay longer. He sounds like someone who wouldn't be liked by anyone who knows him well. Sorry you are having such an unpleasant time.

Doug - have fun on your trip.

Good morning Geoff, Karl, Annie, and all who follow. I'm off to find a cup of coffee.

CharM
06-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Good morning... it's sunny, bright and very cool at only 11C. It's not very June-like.

I have two Classes today. This morning's group, my Homeschoolers, will be here only this week and next because they're heading North for the summer (if it ever arrives) to Cottage country. Anyway, they're just free painting so I don't have any prep. This afternoon's group seems to be between lesson plans and have been free painting also. They plan to begin their "Blue" study this week though.

Doris, it seems that your friend's behaviour is just as toxic as her husband's in a passive aggressive way . And I'm sure that you'll never, ever invite them into your home again. In the meantime, I hope you can endure till Thursday without too much confrontation. Sending lots of positive thoughts and energy your way... ((()))

Sorry about your crummy night, Geoff... can you nap during the day? That's quite a roundabout.

Hi Doug... :lol: your dream... I never remember mine.

Stabbing this rude guest with his own credit card gave me a chuckle, Annie...

Hi Ellen... *Phew* that you didn't suffer the nasties along with others in your group. Considering how far south we are from you, it isn't that much warmer!

I've brewed a pot of coffee and Ted should be up any minute. I'm going to get ready for my Classes after I have my morning cuppa. I hope everyone has the best possible day.

NancyR
06-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Around 9:00 pm last night the lights went out. No loud explosion from the transformer. Just no lights. I waited an hour, then contacted my official at the power company. First lights would be back on at 11 pm, 1:30 am, 4:30 am, now 8:00 am. I cannot go to work without washing my hair. Very frustrating.

Doris, pull the husband aside and tell him the free ride is over and you only take cash. That will be $300 a night to be paid in full in advance.

Geoff, sorry about not sleeping again. At least you have the option of taking a nap. DFW airport was designed to make left turns only to access terminals. It is very hard to navigate. I know I would not be able to drive in England.

Got to run, so I do not run out my battery on the phone.

Uschi
06-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Good Morning!!!

The NORTH wind is back and it is 8C here this morning but it will be a lovely day because the sun is shining brightly.

Well, this lovely day will start with a huge pile of dishes from last nights dinner which, by the way, was very successful. After that I need to head out into the garden and pull more - you know what:lol:

Lynn/LC THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll never have problems with dessert and desert again!!!!!

((((((((((Doris))))))))))))

I also hope Darla is doing O.K. I soooooo hope their holiday doesn't get spoiled by this.

Doug, we'll start counting sleeps for you now:thumbsup:

Char, when are you planning to take your month's road trip and where??

Ellen, glad you escaped the stomach problems. Quite a dramatic weather change for you:) Looking forward to the photos.

Geoff, I finally Googled that Magic Roundabout - WHEW:rolleyes:

Karl, partying again, ey:lol: :lol:

:wave: to Annie and all yet to come!!!

Uschi

Echecs
06-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Good afternoon everyone, nice to meet you all.
Here in Paris the weather is about 15į and nice and sunny, which makes a change from the past 7 months...

Cheers,

Deborah

LynnM
06-03-2013, 10:14 AM
:wave: Bright sun and cool here too, will be nice for my walk downtown this AM.....so have to get going pretty quickly.

Char, in case you didn't see in yesterday's wash, the flower you posted is Dame's Rocket, a European import, but much nicer than garlic mustard.

Welcome Deborah!

:eek: that is the monster of all traffic circles! thank goodness it wasn't there when I drove that way some years ago.

BBL....

painterbear
06-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Good Morning all,
It is just after 10 a.m. here in sunny, but pleasantly cool, Oakwood. Larry is taking advantage of the nice temps to mow the lawn, then we will go grocery shopping. We'll make an extra stop at a near by nursery :crossfingers: that they still have some tomato and eggplants sets for sale. Unfortunately, three each of those veggies that we planted last week are dying and we need to replace them if we can. :( Larry thinks he put too much Miracle Gro on them. :rolleyes:

I've started a little study of the ruins of a house in Pompeii. We'll see how it looks painted up before I try to do it larger. So far I'm liking it, but I really haven't done too much to ruin it .... yet. ;)

Ellen, Welcome back to the real world where you live. :lol: Snow on the third of June. :eek: Glad you managed to avoid the travelers' tummy, sorry your DIL didn't. Looking forward to seeing your wedding and vacation photos too.

Uschi, Glad everyone enjoyed your dinner. I can sympathize with you about the picky eaters. My daughter Kari's partner Mike is like that and their son Casey thinks imitation of Dad is the sincerest form of flattery. I hate seeing people look at good food as if you are offering them a plate full of bugs. :mad: It does limit which dishes I will cook for them which is a shame for Kari because she will eat almost anything and enjoy it.

Doris, Sounds like you are experiencing the "guests from Hades"...and I am including your friend as well as her husband. Surely she sees his behavior and is tolerating it, so she is equally at fault. I'm sure Thursday can't come fast enough for you. We're here for you to vent to if it helps relieve the pressure. :grouphug:

Hi Deborah, Welcome to the Daily Wash! Nice to meet you.

Doug, Now you are on the count down path! Hope you have good weather for your visit in Jersey.

:wave: to all who were here before me and to those still on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

Scene Chaser
06-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Good Day All,
Geoff, the roundabout from hell.

Annie, I guess itís about round.

Uschi, Iím taking advantage of the sun today and Iím pulling weeds and mowing, too.

Hello Deborah. Welcome to the Wash.

Lynn, I still have garlic mustard to weed, spray, and blaspheme.

My sister and BIL live in LaSalle, Ontario near Windsor. He is an avid vegetable and fruit gardener, not big on flowers. Here is a photo of his greenhouse. Notice the huge fig tree to the right. They only buy there meat.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2013/83119-Green_house_1.JPG

Bill

LCPainterCat
06-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Hello, Everyone --

Doug:
I am SO excited about your upcoming visit to the Channel Islands. I've read nonfiction WW 2 accounts of privations and danger and daring underground resistance, as well as the charming short epistolary novel,"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" which is delightful -- and also a bit heart-in-mouth reading.

The Islands, beckoning with isolated charms and acres of under-glass produce and flower gardens have long been on my wish list. Promise to share EVERYTHING!!!

Henry and Lesley:
You are never far from our collective thoughts . . .

Ellen:
Happy Homecoming! Can't wait to see your pictures. Do you think the tummy wobbles were started by the Max's upset tummy the night before you all left home? The idea of your long flight home with your daughter-n-law and son still suffering, is just awful!

Uschi and Char:
What happened to my theory that we share the same weather at the same time? I'm ready for some time off from the blanket of over-warm humidity which has been sitting over us for days, now. We had violent thunder storms seemingly directly overhead for hours last night. I was amazed that we never lost power!

Doris:
I was once the dreaded house guest from Hell -- and once I had fallen into that category, from the very moment of my arrival, it seemed that I just kept falling farther and farther from grace. My friendship with the host couple, who had been close and dear friends for years, never quite recovered from my"nightmare guest" status.

I had arrived by train in Edinburg very late at night -- not my choice, but that was the only schedule offered on that date. It had been a long day's travel, with a couple of changes of train; and I was alone, wrestling my very heavy suitcase at top speed from one train to another, one change actually several streets away with barely five minutes between, and I barely made the connections. That heavy suitcase was the first serious problem. It was the third week of a month's travel, with no access to laundry facilities, and the winter clothing chosen for England, Northern Wales, and Scotland was both heavy and bulky. The suitcase was large, and stuffed with clothes and gifts. It had wheels -- then a novelty -- but was unbalanced and tippy, and refused to make turns without falling over.

My friends greeted me, and at once expressed shock at the weight of my suitcase. I had already dragged it through weeks of travel by myself, so I wondered at their concern -- UNTIL-- we arrived at their home, and I learned for the first time that they occupied the top floor of a high ceilinged, three story walkup! Their flat was large as a house, and wonderful, BUT the only access was three steep outdoor flights of narrow wooden steps. Did I mention that it was raining? POURING??? Acckkk. I was embarrassed; I suggested leaving the case in the car until the rain stopped, and/or partially unpacking and putting half the contents in a large plastic bag for carrying upstairs. The husband, who insisted HE would drag the suitcase up the flights of stairs, was quietly furious. He wasn't young, and I think he may have had back issues. It was an awful start to my visit.

The invitations to share the New Year's festivities with their friends, nightly parties and tours to nearby villages and St. Andrews were all accomplished in similar freezing downpours (for which I was not held personally responsible, but . . . .)

Then, on the third or fourth day, it was planned to surprise me with an overnight trip to some villages several hours' drive north, along with tickets to a theatrical event. I got up in the morning, we had breakfast, and before leaving, I used the bathroom. Suddenly my back "went out" much like Darla's knee, with no warning at all. I was fine at breakfast; we were leaving on this lovely planned treat within the hour, and I was in god-awful pain and literally could not straighten out, stand or walk at all.
My hosts were visibly unbelieving. "Buck up! Come on! We can't cancel, we've prepaid for everything! Just get your coat on and go on down to the car and you'll be fine." Ha.

I really could not straighten up or move and the pain was screaming. I had to argue hard that I needed to lie down, for a while at least, if possible with ice or heat. I suggested that they go ahead on the trip, but that wasn't really practical since I could hardly make it to the bathroom by myself.

Finally, my friend said she'd go to her doctor, and get a prescription that would cure me quickly, and left for the village, where I hoped her doctor would prescribe something stronger than aspirin. She returned with a small glass vial. "Shake one tablet into your mouth, suck it until it dissolves, but DO NOT TOUCH IT with your fingers!"

It was guaranteed that by the third dose (three hours apart) my back would be fine. After the third pill, no surprise, I was still unable to move and still in awful pain. What was this miracle medicine? Turns out that my hostess was a believer in Homeopathy, an alternative medicine that is "based on the belief that a disease can be cured by a very low dose of a substance that creates similar symptoms in a healthy person. These ideas are known as 'like cures like' and the 'law of the minimum dose' "[Wikipedia].
I insisted on seeing the vial (which had been kept away from me). The active ingredient? Rhus Toxis! What????!!! A dose of POISON IVY was supposed to cure my awful back? POISON IVY was similar to injured back muscles???? I could hardly believe it.

My hostess, as annoyed by me at that point as Doris is by her visitors from Hell, announced that I must be cured by now, and she was NOT going to serve me meals in bed, and turned (smiling) on her heel.

I knew from previous attacks over many years that it would take almost exactly four days before I could move around much, if at all. I stayed huddled in my bed, or after a day, on a kitchen chair, until yes, on the fourth day, my back was more good than bad. It was definitely time to leave --although dreading the dragging down the stairs required for my damnable suitcase. On the way to the train, I asked them to stop at the store, and bought them three bottles of their favorite Scotch whiskey.
I don't think it helped . . . .

Lynn/LC

Saint Ragdoll
06-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Pat, glad your pain is reduced....
I go tomorrow morning for my 3rd injection..it's in the area where I have scolosis, my back makes a hard left turn, that's what it looks like on the xray...and the doc is going ahead withnthis even tho he doesnt have a MRI, just the xray and he'll be using a fluroscope to get the needle in the right spot...I did call his office to make sure he was aware that I hadnt had the MRI yet....they said he knew and it wasnt a problem......I just hope this works well as the first. The second one worked ok for one side but no improvement for the other....

Awful side effects, hot flashes, felling all revved up and cant get to sleep and if by some chance I do fall asleep I am back up in an hour or so...and hungary all the time, especially for sweets and carbohydrates. I am sure I have put on weight...but, the alternative is pain.....sigh....

Another side effect but a good one ,is my creativity has taken a leap, I have been drawing and painting more than everl...and I love that feeling of wanting to create, paint and draw....

Took Beau to the dog park, and he actually ran and played with a dog, a 16 week old beagel girl...it was so good to see him interacting without being afraid!
Usually, even withnthe smallest dogs, he gets so scafed and tries to climb backminto my arms..I am torn with picking him up in case he is in danger of being hurt and not wanting to encourage the fearful behavior...

.I may go back to that park and see if the beagel's owner will be there next weekend so Beau can play with the beagel pup again.....

Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

Doris345
06-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Going off with the guests, but first:

A day in the life. . .
Me: (stumbling into kitchen at 9 am to feed the cat) Good morning, Mike
Him: Hi, I hope you donít need any milk, I drank it all.
Me: I need to have my protein drink every morning because I need to put my meds in it. [Not a total lie, but not critical]
Him: OK Ė you can send Essie down to the supermarket when she wakes up.
Me: I she still asleep? [in the living room, btw]
Him: Yes, donít wake her please.
Me: You drank it, you should get the replacement.
Him: OK I will pick some up later this afternoon, when we go out. Oh, I ate the strawberries. They were white, not the greatest.
Me: Did you leave any for me?
Him: No. I told you, they werenít very sweet.

Later that morning. . .

Her: I owe you $40 for the stuff I bought (at the warehouse club).
Me: Yes, I will need it sometime before you leave.
Her: Do you want to have the cash, or should we just pay for you today when we go to Chinatown?
Me: Give me the cash, please Ė I donít eat that much ever, and certainly not at Chinatown prices.

Still later: the doorbell rings.
It is my darling, wonderful, brilliant, thoughtful, clever kid brother. He walks in, says hello, gets introduced, and pretends to be very surprised and upset that I had houseguests. He then announced that he has a freelance assignment which is dependent on several other contractors. He was coming over [he never does this unannounced, btw] to get some sleep because he had to go back to work in a couple of hours, and then would have a couple of hours downtime before he got another call to take up his part of the job again.

My guests immediately started packing. Brother is now sleeping Ė donít ask how he will pretend to pull that off Ė and we are going to Chinatown for lunch, then they will come back here to pack up and go away.

Pray for me.

LCPainterCat
06-03-2013, 01:25 PM
DORIS!!!
B sure to guide them to an ATM while you're out, to get that $40.00 CASH they owe you! (Oh, and do pick up some milk. : )

Lynn/LC

shipbroker
06-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Doris...don't need to pray for you.....your prayers have been answered!

gepff

LynnM
06-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Oh, Doris, thank heaven for insightful sons! I hope it works.

Glad you're are having a creative surge, Theresa, wonderful feeling isn't it!

Quite the experience, Lynn/LC! I can emphasize more than you know. I had a similar large bulky heavy suitcase, and arrived at my cousin's in Glasgow (meeting her and her husband for the first time), and much to my horror they lived in a 4th floor walkup :eek: Cousin's husband has polio recurrence, and she had a bad hip at the time, like you I suggested leaving it in the car and taking the necessary things up in bags but he insisted in dragging it all the way up the stone steps. He must be quite fit despite his bad leg, but I felt terrible. Thankfully nothing further happened to make me more like the 'guest from hell' and we actually became great friends, so my ending was happier.

That's a spectacular greenhouse your BIL has, Bill, how satisfying to grow your own produce!

Your new painting sounds interesting, Sylvia.

Lovely walk today, and my massage was wonderful :clap: Now I'm going to try to finish a sketch from the afternoon garden from yesterday's tour.

Ellen in Ont
06-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Hi again,
I'll try to post a few of the wedding photos so you can get a feel for what a perfect location and day it was.

The guys waiting for it to start.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2013/46258-airie.jpg
The ceremony.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2013/46258-ceremony.jpg
Walking down the aisle. Max refused to wear his matching shoes.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2013/46258-down_aisle.jpg
It was a wonderful day.

shipbroker
06-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Wow somewhat more relaxed than weddings I get to go to!
Lovely pics.

geoff

villagernb
06-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Good afternoon, Washers!

Rainy and cool here, after starting the morning muggy and mild; typical June for us.

First of all, Doris--would you trade brothers with me? Mine would be very unlikely to do anything so helpful!:rolleyes:

Doug, perhaps your dream was influenced by Doris' visitors?

Hi, Deborah. Looking forward to seeing your paintings. My muse seems to have taken a sabbatical! Hope she comes home soon!

Ellen, glad you're safely home and thanks for the travellers' advice.

Hope Darla is getting along OK.

Bill, I :envy: your sister and BIL's greenhouse, especially that beautiful fig tree!

Teresa, glad that Beau found a friend. He was probably having so much fun, he forgot to be timid.:thumbsup:

Gail, thank you for your advice yesterday about Bee Balm. It has the added bonus of being a favourite of hummingbirds.

I'm going to ask all of you who are avid gardeners if you have tried any of the "home remedies" for getting rid of a large anthill. I have one in my front flower bed that has been there for three years, and the ant activity disturbs the plant roots so much that nothing survives near it. I usually tolerate insects of all kinds if the don't destroy the plants, but these ants have run out of chances!:mad:

On a happy note, we had a wonderful visit in Fredericton yesterday with our former neighbours. Several others dropped in for a visit whom we hadn't seen in a long time; it was great fun. These friends knew our son from the age of seven until he left home to move to Montreal when he was twenty-one, so we have a special connection with them.:)

It appears to have stopped raining. Time to change the food in the hummingbird feeders.

Cheers, Anne

Scene Chaser
06-03-2013, 02:26 PM
What a great place for a wedding, Ellen. Love the casualness and the SUN!
Lovely photos.

Doris, thank goodness it's over. What a couple!

Bill

Maffet
06-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Hello to all :wave:

Just short stop to greet all friends and to say that I am o.k. I live high on hill above Prague castle, which is also very high, so I am completly safe. Only trouble is traffic in Prague as underground doesnt work for safety reasons and many trams and buses go very different place. Best way is to walk. I work on other side of river, so I have to cross it twice daily, but I dont mind as I use to walk to work often and some bridges are open.

But city is safe I hope. After floods in 2002, big anti-flood system was builded so all historic city is fine and dry, while ten years ago, there were 2m of water and all metro was flooded too. I hope this year it will survive. River of Vltava is still not in it's peak ... they expect it tomorrow morning, but this time we are ready. Only real disaster is in Prague's zoo. It's lower part was flooded again and completly destroyed. It's a very sad as they repaired that part not long time ago, but city officers refused to build anti-fl. bareers to save money! They did it in secret while most of prague's people believed that Zoo is protected. And as this Zoo is symbol of last floods and very sensitive place for city citizens, people are very angry. But at least this time all animals are safe. So this is my report from Prague.

btw ... there is also extreeme cold. Today I had to wear jumper and winter jacket. :cat:

LynnM
06-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Wonderful pictures, Ellen, I felt that ocean breeze just looking at them! You all look happy (except perhaps Max :)).

Sorry Doris, I meant brother, not son, but any insightful relative is a bonus!

Jana, that is good news, but it sounds pretty bad. We have major flooding all over here, too, in unexpected places sometimes, very strange downpours.

ScarletLake
06-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Hi Everyone

WOW so much going on in the Wash that I could not read it all so will catch up later tonight.

Doris ---LOL You have a doll for a brother. Prayers answered in mysterious ways.

Anita

villagernb
06-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Wow, Ellen, what great pictures. Thank you for posting them. Everyone looks wonderful!

(I don't see you anywhere! Were you the photographer?)

Anne

CharM
06-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Lynn/LC... your hosts aught to be ashamed of themselves... you weren't the guest from H*ll... they made you feel that way! :mad:

Doris! I LOVE, love, love your Brother!

Ellen! Wonderful photos! What a happy day! That's how all weddings should be.

Bill, we're practically neighbours! I love that greenhouse!

Lynn... thank you so much for the Dame's Rocket identification!

:crossfingers: that your 3rd injection will ease your pain, Teresa.

Pompeii is SO fascinating, Sylvia... I'm looking forward to what you're planning.

Uschi, we originally planned to go to Washington and spend a couple of weeks at the Smithsonian. Then, we were going to head to Pennsylvania to visit family there. We've changed our minds and will take a few short trips instead. I think we'll be exploring Northern Ontario and such...

Nancy, I hope your electricity is up and running!

Welcome to the Wash, Deborah!

Jana, I saw that flooding on this morning's news. I'm so glad that you checked in here to let us know you're ok!

Anne, have you Googled? I don't know of anything non-toxic to deal with your problem... :(

All Students have gone home and I'm a little tired. Ted has gone to Windsor to see his Diabetes Doctor and then Costco... I have a little time to myself. A rarity these days. :)

JudyL
06-03-2013, 07:07 PM
Hiya :wave:
Doris! we all would like to be able to contact your brother! He could go into business, "Unwanted visitors removed!"

We went out to the kids, who were alone (Lauren IS almost 18) but Spencer needed computer help, Lauren and I went out to Subway for lunch.

My job was to try and keep the boy off the games! Doomed to failure.

NancyR
06-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Checking in again. Electric came on about 8:30 this morning. :clap: I was only an hour late to work. My ice cream melted, I have not checked it yet.

First shot has relieved the constant pain. So, I can sit without pain right now on a hard chair. However, I have the burning pins and needles down my leg whenever I stand and walk. So, I am limiting my walking. I see the doctor on Wednesday, will probably have to schedule the next shot.

Doris, Your brother is wonderful! Did you give him a heads up? Hope you got paid your $40 in green cash.

Jana, Thanks for checking in. I immediately thought of you when I heard about the flooding.

Teresa, My fingers are crossed for your 3rd shot. :crossfingers: White light to make everything go smoothly.

Ellen, the wedding looks beautiful. What a wonderful way to celebrate!

Anne, boiling water on the ant hill sometimes works. It doesn't cost anything. My father would pour gasoline on the ant hill and set it on fire.

Darla, a knee brace helped me navigate in Las Vegas where all you do is walk. Hope you are enjoying yourself.

White light and hugs to all!

villagernb
06-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Thank you, Nancy.

Much as I enjoy the mental picture of my "blessed" ant hill on fire:evil: I will give the boiling water a try.

Thank you also, Char.
I did google, but a lot of "solutions" sound more like myths than useful solutions.

I did see one I might try if it ever stops raining; you have to use this method when the ground is dry. Sprinkle equal amounts of icing sugar and baking soda around the colony. Supposedly, they will carry the mixture back inside the hill and feed it to the queen--the baking soda is apparently toxic for the little darlings.:smug:

Stay tuned!

Anne

Doris345
06-03-2013, 09:37 PM
Epilogue:

They are gone.
I took my brother out for dinner, to say thank you, but he actually insisted on treating me.

Just for the record: I had been emailing his wife with regular updates. She insisted I was strong and outspoken enough to stand up for myself, but he thought I was too nice and kind to refuse to help them.

The visit and 'working' story were entirely his idea. I wasnt told about it and I never even spoke with him directly. He actually cancelled a work assignment for the day so he could pull this off.

He claims he did it because didnt want to be stuck with my care if I had a nervous breakdown. What a brat.

Thanks for listening, everyone. Your support really helped me.

Doris

Doris345
06-03-2013, 09:42 PM
P.s. Got my $40 in green-type paper money - she started to give $10 in singles so I handed it back to her and suggested she give it to me after she has a chance to get some $5's or $10's.

laudesan
06-03-2013, 10:30 PM
Yay Doris.

Oh and ask Ona's husband about heavy suitcases :eek: I now travel with a backpack. :p

Lulu
06-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Hi everyone,
I don't have much time to read and post at the moment, but I had to come to see if there were any updates from Doris........Oh the relief!!!!! Hallelujah! so pleased they are gone!!!
Give your brother a big hug from ALL of us!

Lynn/LC, your hosts were the hosts from hell! :eek:

Wonderful photos of what was obviously a wonderful wedding Ellen!
The warm temperatures we had on holiday are fading into a dream , as I sit here with two merino sweaters on lol

JudyL
06-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Doris do tell your wonderful brother that he is welcome anywhere there are WC members!

And I would cut back on the emails to this friend, but you might go to his funeral....(oh Judy shocking! :eek: )

Yorky
06-04-2013, 01:43 AM
(((Doris))) thank goodness they are gone, you have a great son.

Waiting to hear from Darla in her hotel at Gatwick.

Hope everything hwent OK in London and Paris:crossfingers:

Doug