PDA

View Full Version : Cafe Michelangelo- June 2013

artbyjune
06-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Hi folks. I had a lazy weekend...sleeping mostly. I had meant to tidy up, especially my 'studio' area which is a real mess from last week (my spare room is my studio), but its still a mess for next week's works!!

Probably I will be painting frogs next week as I signed up for a frog ATC swap on artcsforall.com.

What are you all up to??:D

brianvds
06-04-2013, 08:35 AM
As promised in the May thread, here's the new version of my little acrylic landscape:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2013/142294-2013_acrylic_5inch_2.JPG

The sky not quite as garish anymore. But I still think the thing is hideous. :-)

trafford
06-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Sorry Brian, I like both horrid and hideous :)

azulparsnip
06-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Hi all---

June - I think a messy art room is the best kind. Glad you have been having a go at it. Frogs sounds like fun!

Janet - hot there already? I hope you get relief.

Brian - that is not all that bad....it is quite different than your other pieces...I think you did quite well on the shading and from of the house....great dimension and detail there....the more I look at it the more I like it....the trees are simple but intriguing. Do some more, Do some more!

Here's a couple drawings I did. The one is of my daughter and her boyfriend. We three have been the only participants in the last 3 sketch group event . We have alot of fun though. Here he has finished drawing and is looking at stuff on the computer.....typical.

the other is a drawing of swallow nests at San Juan Capistrano photohttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2013/88676-swallownest.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2013/88676-ricrose.gif

brianvds
06-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Brian - that is not all that bad....it is quite different than your other pieces...

Yes, at least for me, working from reference photos is something quite different.

I think you did quite well on the shading and from of the house....great dimension and detail there....the more I look at it the more I like it....the trees are simple but intriguing. Do some more, Do some more!

Perhaps I will, but I now think that I will indeed have to change my style when working from photos, to a more blatant stylized kind of thing. Photos seem not to preserve the kind of information one needs for a more realist approach. At least, for me they don't - artists with a lot of experience seem to be able to paint perfectly good realism from reference pics. I have always struggled with that, and actually dislike working from photos.

But it seems to me photos do preserve some sort of information, like shapes and contours and that sort of thing, and the post-impressionists worked more with expressive line and outline than realists do, and they also allowed themselves to be more arbitrary in their use of colour, so that it doesn't matter that much if a reference photo preserved the colour very well.

It will require some experimentation, I think. I also think I should do them in oil. Acrylic has its uses, but this is not it. :-)

Here's a couple drawings I did. The one is of my daughter and her boyfriend. We three have been the only participants in the last 3 sketch group event . We have alot of fun though.

It does look like you had fun. I tend to be terribly serious with art: after a painting session I am drenched in cold sweat. :-)

artbyjune
06-06-2013, 12:48 PM
I got my 4 frogs done for the swap. Talking of photos, I did them all from reference photos on wikimedia. (I didn't have time to look for actual frogs!!!:lol: ) They are ATCs in watercolours.

artbyjune
06-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Robin, I love your sketches. You always manage to bring such character into your work. A wonderful gift.

Brian, I like you house in a landscape setting too. I almost never do landscape so I can't offer much advice. However, I have found that to de-intensify colour, its often a good idea to mix in a little touch of the complementary to dull it somewhat. A little burnt sienna often dulls down blue for the sky.

I got a new book today on painting like the old masters. It has the techniques of Vermeer, Rubens, Caravaggio. van Dyke, etc and their palette choices etc. So I am looking forward to studying it!

Joseph Sheppard, 'How to paint like the old masters'. Watson-Guptill, 1983

brianvds
06-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Brian, I like you house in a landscape setting too. I almost never do landscape so I can't offer much advice. However, I have found that to de-intensify colour, its often a good idea to mix in a little touch of the complementary to dull it somewhat. A little burnt sienna often dulls down blue for the sky.

Yes, I do that with oils, but somehow the trick failed with acrylics. Thing is, because they dry so fast, I tend to be in a bit of a panic when working with them, and that's partially why I got the colours all wrong.

Seems to me acrylics do lend themselves very well to fauvism, where one is encouraged to go wild with the colour. :-)

trafford
06-07-2013, 07:09 AM
Sketch class going well Robin. Like your people...you don't do them too often, or I just don't get to see them.
What wonderful frogs June. I always think they are good luck.

Acrylics do dry up too fast. If I'm going to leave them under saran wrap for a couple of days I always forget to spritz them and they dry up and they are expensive.

I remember reading a story about a student of Hans Hoffman who didn't have much money and put little drops of oil paint on his palette. He said along came Hans and squeezed out a whole tube and exclaimed, More Paint! The student figured he wouldn't be eating for a while.

Here is what I did yesterday...two opera heroines in collage.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2013/42757-mimi.jpg
Mimi

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2013/42757-violetta.jpg
Violetta with cat

azulparsnip
06-07-2013, 01:43 PM
June - Thank you . I know my drawings are distorted often (here the heads are too big - I know it is because I'm concentrating on that - I try not to worry about it……just enjoy what I'm doing. when sketching . Sketching is different that representational projects.

those frogs are vibrant. They are funny creatures all the way around. Love the mouth and lily flower on the darker green one. It almost looks like a porcelain frog. They are each so different…great ATC's. The deep purple background on the one is mysterious and trance inducing!
Ha, ha!!

Speaking of ATC's I thinking of getting a inexpensive laminator. I could use it on ATC's I've received and ones I send and lots of stuff. I'll probably get one

Janet - True , I don't do people in detail much. I like to work in public and have to be fast and secretive. It is surprising how many people abhor being drawn.
your opera stars are adorable. The backgrounds are delightful. I like the tilting gloved girl. and the collared girl with the glowing face.

Thanks for the tip about toning down colors, June. I'm putting that one up on by bulletin board for experimentation. I like bright colors but knowing how to dull them easily will be handy.

artbyjune
06-08-2013, 06:11 AM
Love your collage pieces Janet. I am a big fan of your collage style!

I find signing up for the atc exchanges challenges me to try stuff.
I just signed up for a textured abstract ATC exchange. Due july. I have no idea what i'll do but a good chance to experiment with collage and so forth.

trafford
06-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Here is one more collage. I had 10 fits doing this one...everything stuck to my fingers and the head piece was a horror to do. Tried to stick the flimsy gold paper to her head and it fell off. Finally did the obvious solution...made the head piece out of stiff paper and glued it to the gold paper, then cut it out. Whew! Anyway here she is...Aida:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2013/42757-aida.jpg

brianvds
06-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Nice collages. :-)

artbyjune
06-11-2013, 01:53 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2013/106623-bluewaterB1a4k.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2013/106623-seaweed1a4k.jpg

ATCs, Mixed media ( mainly acrylics).

Got started on the textured abstracts idea. I usually do a few and then pick the set for the swap. (I wonder if words are allowed in the ATC abstract exchange?)

I loved 'playing' with the glue and glitter. Perhaps I'll learn a trick or 2 to transfer to my larger work.

I also like your Aida collage, Janet. Must admit glue and fiddly bits of paper are sometimes frustrating. As are glue covered fingers!

tyree
06-11-2013, 04:47 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2013/65063-rubens.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2013/65063-tintoretto.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2013/65063-leonardo.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2013/65063-michaelangelo.jpg i have been working forever to try and get my computer to post again, really difficult week with it....here are the masters i sketched for the post from The Blast From The Past.....Rubens, Tinterreto, Leonardo, and Michaelangelo.....mech pencil in my cheapo sketchbook....whewww what a week.....tyree:crossfingers:

brianvds
06-11-2013, 11:06 PM
And here I sit, battling it out with my second cold/flu in two months, so no question of painting or sketching anything. That's the one thing about working at a school: you get every damned sniffle that goes around. As it is my immune system can already kick over a horse at thirty paces, but it is still not quite enough to protect me from the preschooler section... :-)

trafford
06-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Every one doing wonderful work. The textured paintings with text are great looking...I like words in art and I'm sure the recipients will too.

Hey Tyree, your gallery of artists are going great...Please do more.

Poor Brian. Get some sleep and take some aspirins, or maybe a shot or two.

Want to finish up my opera divas...but Aida exhausted me. I'll do Carmen later.

Keep well all. :cool:

artbyjune
06-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Beautiful drawings, Tyree.

azulparsnip
06-14-2013, 07:11 AM
Janet - your opera series is marvelous! I can't wait for the next Diva:)

Tyree - :clap: Those are wonderful faces. It is amazing to think how each of them have touched our world. I know looking at one another's work here blesses my soul. Lifts me and encourages me. Each one so individual contributing .

Brian - that is rotten. Those little folk get under your skin in more than one way, eh. Hang in there. Men folk in elementary school are a rare breed.

June - oh you ARE branching out. Those pieces really feel like exploring - variety in color tones and depth with little letters sending out a code. Interesting.

I went to a painting gathering at a local art business. She set up canvas, provided paint and brushes and a theme for $30. It was fun. She has an art journaling group I think to join in July.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2013/88676-girl-talk.gif

Our sketch group was invited to attend a local community gathering. Here is my favorite sketch.

brianvds
06-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Brian - that is rotten. Those little folk get under your skin in more than one way, eh. Hang in there. Men folk in elementary school are a rare breed.

So much so that the children never quite unlearn the habit of addressing me as "ma'am," and then giggling about it.

But at the attached little preschool they go one step further: whenever I walk past there all the little kids start waving and calling "Hello Daddy!!!" :D

They are immensely cute, but boy, do I feel like throwing the whole bunch of them in a swimming pool full of disinfectant... :-)

tyree
06-14-2013, 12:45 PM
he everyone,,,,im using the company computer, it works sooooo much better than mine, which i cant seem to fix:o ....however ...here are my comments: Brian ..a lovely simple scene, wonderful to look at.....Robin..what great characterization of the kids, and i love the lamp hanging over them...June..those frogs are so creative and sooooo well done, love to look at them!!....Janet..i love the period pieces of your women ,,,the intricate dresses and hairdos, and the simple but effective b/g..perfect.......Janet..ive never tried collages..but your egyption eyes and that gold just set this piece perfectly!!......June..the mixed media atcs are just fascinating, love the mixes of colour and writing......Robin...now this is a very good line drawing, it captures the moment perfectly!!!,,,,,,thanks to all on the nice comment on my artists.....maybe ..if i can ever scan and print and get my computer online, ill be able to show you more ....sigh..tyree:wave:

tyree
06-19-2013, 12:17 PM
hey all, my computer/scanner is still on the fritz....:confused: :confused: :confused: ....i have a new drawing to show, but cannot get it online....havent seen anyone elses new work,,,,hope everyone is okay.....tyree:wave:

trafford
06-20-2013, 07:09 AM
Hi Tyree,
Simpatico with useless P/Cs. Mine poops around...sometimes working well, other times freezing or worse, wiping out a long Email just at the end.

I am slow this month. Want to try Robin's depth thread...but I'm a little confused about depth. My son put an apple in front of his face to help me out :) but it didn't help much. Tried the Hans Hofman approach, and I may post that just for the heck of it.

Hope to get to Clara Burd too...but she can be resurrected some other time.

Love Robin's sketches and wish I could get down to doing a drawing a day. Will try :heart: :heart:

tyree
06-23-2013, 10:35 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2013/65063-rubens_demons.jpg this is a rubens copy of his satyre ....got the computer working i think:crossfingers: mech pencil with the ole sketchbook....tyree:wave:

artbyjune
06-24-2013, 01:33 PM
Hi Tyree, I admire those rich darks you achieve in your drawings. I like pen to get darks but struggle to achieve such good darks in pencil.

I sympathise with your pc problems. Mine is acting up of late too. So frustrating. I think I will invest in a new one asap...but dread going to choose one with all the options...which one to pick?

artbyjune
06-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Robin I love your conversation sketch. And I am interested in art journaling. It is so creative. But no time to do any.

Currently I am doing more of the ATC textured abstracts. And trying out glazing with alkyd oils. I've sent for a quick drying medium to try with water soluble oils (I get impatient). I will switch to water solubles for my next glazing attempt...to compare mediums and also hopefully to get away from smelly turps...

azulparsnip
06-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Hi ya'll - we are at the beach.....the grand children and all......James has brought a beautiful small open sailboat he made from scratch according to a plan. Sitting in that is like sitting in an impressionist painting.

Got a new sketch book yesterday and the sketch I did was so FLAT I thought all evening about how much I need to study those depth examples. I think I should extend the thread another month and get down to it.

Tyree, that is a wonderful satyr. I love looking at it. Bewitching, better be careful.!!!

June, I know what you mean ....the computers change so fast, I spend too much time learning stuff all over ........I bearly know how to operate the cell phone.

Janet - ha, ha, your son is a character, An apple in front of your face will get you to "look beyond" straight away!!! cleaver trick!

brianvds
06-28-2013, 03:12 AM
A friend of mine loves Picasso's portrait of his son Paul, and asked me to make her a copy for her birthday. So here it is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2013/142294-2013_Picasso_copy.JPG

It was an interesting exercise, and renewed my respect for Picasso all over again. Try as I might, I couldn't really recreate his elegantly expressive calligraphy. At least I got the proportions more or less right. :)

azulparsnip
06-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Brian - that is lovely, I'm sure she will enjoy it !

it would be fun for everyone to do a self portrait in this style!

brianvds
06-30-2013, 01:25 AM
Brian - that is lovely, I'm sure she will enjoy it !

it would be fun for everyone to do a self portrait in this style!

I have been considering exactly that. For my copy above, I coloured it by using a sharp craft knife to scrape off a bit of powdery colour from coloured pencils and then rubbing it over the surface with tissue paper. One can use graphite the same way. It seems to me one will want somewhat diffuse, less precise tone in such a piece.

But I have to say, the style is not nearly as easy to pull off as one might think!

trafford
06-30-2013, 07:58 AM
Lovely portrait Brian. Like the idea of rubbed on color.

Tyree, Hope you keep doing portraits of artists I have been collecting photos of artists from the web, but its not the same as having your own portraits. :cool:

I think we all should do self portraits....cartoon or classic. What do you think?

azulparsnip
06-30-2013, 08:31 AM
Yes, on the self portraits...... I think I try one after Modigliani first:D

brianvds
06-30-2013, 08:54 AM
Lovely portrait Brian. Like the idea of rubbed on color.

I couldn't work out how Picasso did it in the first place. What sources I could find state the portrait is in oil on canvas, but I think that probably just applies to the color, because the lines looked very much drawn to me. The color also looks as if he thinned down the paint quite a bit.

But I couldn't really tell, so I decided to just invent my own way of approximating it.

brianvds
06-30-2013, 09:52 AM
I think we all should do self portraits....cartoon or classic. What do you think?

Well, here's my attempt. It was sort of inspired by the Picasso portrait but ended up looking very different. It's not my usual way of doing things; I tend to be very careful, perhaps overly so, when drawing. So I had to sort of encourage myself to "let go," freely drawing heavy lines and rubbing powdered graphite and charcoal all over everything. The result now seems more like it's plain messy rather than expressive. :-)

But it was a fun and interesting exercise, which may open up new avenues...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2013/142294-2013_self_stylized.JPG

tyree
06-30-2013, 02:29 PM
brian, love the style of your portraits, simple and effective,,,you look like an very intense young artist.....tyree:wave:

brianvds
07-01-2013, 12:58 AM
brian, love the style of your portraits, simple and effective,,,you look like an very intense young artist.....tyree:wave:

I am not all that young; I just look that way in this particular portrait, which is partly why I consider it a failure. I didn't really capture a proper likeness.

I am actually the very opposite of intense, and mostly focus on still life. If I had the talent and patience for it I may well have specialized in botanical illustration. :-)

But I do like expressionism and post-impressionism too. I just don't have much experience trying to work in those styles yet. Perhaps I'll improve in due course.

I have sort of given up on mastering realism. If I couldn't do it in more than twenty years of quite dedicated study and practice, I guess that means I really just don't have that kind of eye or talent. So now I explore other styles to see if I can make them work.

trafford
07-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Brian, you look pretty neat and as we can't actually see you, be as young as you like. I see you used the same style as the Picasso. Very nice.

I'm moving over now and opening the July cafe...see you there.