PDA

View Full Version : The Plant Parade: A Forum Project, June, 2013

marionh
06-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Welcome to the June Plant Parade,

This month the focus is on soft and delicate and the flower of the month is the Rhododendron. - I know quite a change for me:lol: I thought I would surprise you:lol:

The challenge is to concentrate on composition and edges. Try to include

- Soft edges (especially useful to indicate distance)

- Lost and found edges – i.e. broken lines, this gives the eye something interesting to work with so try to avoid continuous lines

- Hard edges – particularly at the focal point. The eye is drawn to hard edges, but you don't want too many of them.

Here is an interesting podcast on edges Mastering Edges (http://www.blogtalkradio.com/artistmentorsonliine/2013/05/23/mastering-edges-with-carolyn-anderson)

Try to compose the painting and include some leaves. Have a definite focal point.
Did you know that the Rhododendron symbolises “Beware” and “Caution”, but I want you to throw caution to the wind :evil:. Anyone who create a posy containing a rhoddy gets extra brownie points.

Here are the guidelines:
· Reveal date: On or after the 25th June!
· Use any medium to get these beauties ready for the reveal date!
· Design the creation by making it personally yours! (None of the petals are ‘normal’, so you cannot make a mistake!! )
· Use any of these refs or your own. If you want to share your own refs, please post in the thread.
· Share your discoveries and setbacks, but do not show your work until the 25th!!
HAVE FUN!!!!
These refs are all from Nottingham University Park in the UK.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2013/42113-014_Copy.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2013/42113-017_Copy.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2013/42113-019_Copy.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2013/42113-024_Copy.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2013/42113-IMG_1918_Copy.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2013/42113-IMG_1922.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2013/42113-IMG_1930_Copy.JPG

marionh
06-02-2013, 12:11 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2013/42113-IMG_1935_Copy.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2013/42113-IMG_1937_Copy.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2013/42113-IMG_1945_Copy.JPG

Margaretta
06-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Marion these are gorgeous and your camera work is just great!

By coincidence I uploaded several rhodies from our garden last week to the reference library but I think the Wet Canvas gremlins ate them as they seemed to be hungry for the posts of many people.
If it's OK I'm uploading one here of a different colour....not sure what it's called but it adds another variety to your fabulous collection.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2013/216855-Our_garden_23-5-2013_028.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2013/216855-Our_garden_23-5-2013_016.JPG

marionh
06-02-2013, 01:07 PM
That's great Margaretta. You're lucky to have these in your garden.

justjean
06-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Marion, after seeing these lovely flowers I don't mind having to wait at all, they are gorgeous :thumbsup:

meggs
06-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Marion .. absolutely stunning refs and what a challenge...

I bought one of these to grow once... it grew into a bloody great tree that had to be cut down... some idiot mislabeled it :lol:

Im in for one at least...:wave:

Charlie's Mum
06-02-2013, 01:45 PM
My favourites- or one/some!!!!!!! Lovely - thanks Marion. :D :D

By coincidence, we've just been running a Paint Along thread in Acrylics about hard/soft, lost/found edges and some of ur floral painters were there too :D
For others, the P.A.L. thread is here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1316854) - even if you use a different medium, the same rules apply :D
This PP thread is now stuck ..... so no excuse to lose it :lol:

marionh
06-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Glad you like them Jean and Meggs. Welcome aboard.

Meggs, some of them can be quite big. They are actually a pest in the native forests in the UK where they have escaped from gardens. But what a pretty pest :lol:

artbygail
06-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Marion,
These photos are beautiful. Tis the season for them now, mine are blooming.
Coincidence that I have a white Rhodo on easle right now, but its not going so well so I may scrap it and use one of yours. I am so slow at it, I seem to go one step ahead and 2 steps back.

By the way, did I doze through the rest of 2013, how did we get to 2014 so fast? :rolleyes:
Gail

marionh
06-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Marion,

By the way, did I doze through the rest of 2013, how did we get to 2014 so fast? :rolleyes:
Gail

Just seeing if you were all awake:lol: :lol:
Maureen could you please change this for me. You would never know that at one point I was a technical proof reader!:lol:

marionh
06-02-2013, 02:13 PM
My favourites- or one/some!!!!!!! Lovely - thanks Marion. :D :D

By coincidence, we've just been running a Paint Along thread in Acrylics about hard/soft, lost/found edges and some of ur floral painters were there too :D
For others, the P.A.L. thread is here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1316854) - even if you use a different medium, the same rules apply :D
This PP thread is now stuck ..... so no excuse to lose it :lol:

What! beaten to the post:lol: I shall definitely go and have a look. I'm trying to really sort this out in my paintings. The brain knows what should be done but not the mind and hand:lol:

PS Maureen could you please change the title to 2013. Ta

Antiqueteacher
06-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Marion, what a challenge. . .a cluster of beauties!! Wonderful refs, too! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: We have the cousin of the Rhodies in Texas called the Azalea: the Ericaceae, a family of trees and shrubs with typically bell-shaped flowers: includes heather, rhododendron, azalea, and arbutus.

Karen. . .:lol: :lol: :lol: 2014. . .my co-worker used to tell me that 'time flies when you are having fun'!! But then, we always have fun with the PP's!! :clap: :clap:

Now to decide!! :eek: :angel:

Hugs, Katherine :music: :music:

Charlie's Mum
06-02-2013, 06:33 PM
2013 by-passed me too - until I read the posts above!?:lol:

Date now corrected - let's not age more than we have to!! :lol:

Vivien Maloney
06-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Hi Marion - Beautiful refs, beautiful theme...what more could we want....lovely!!!!:clap: The difficult bit is deciding which to paint!

Antiqueteacher
06-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Peeps, the May Gallery has been posted, thank you, Shar!!. . .29 Parrot Tulips altogether in our Garden!! Great job!! We should try for 30+ Rhoddys, right, Marion?!! :clap: :clap:

Looking for my ref as we speak!!

Yabut
06-03-2013, 12:28 PM
I'm about to paint baseboards,doors and woodwork here at home, and am not sure I'd have time for something this complicated.....but if I do, I'll give it a try. Can't promise anything this month though. Have fun people. I can't wait to see what you all come up with!

Karen

Lea51
06-03-2013, 05:43 PM
I find it difficult to be sure whether I'm looking at rhododendrons or azaleas, especially in close-ups. I think these are rhododendrons, and I uploaded this and another photo of these as rhododendrons in the Reference Image Library just now, so I hope they are. Feel free to use them, assuming they are rhododendrons...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2013/69963-rhododendron_mass_adjusted_resized.JPG

At least, I hope you don't mind Marion???

KreativeK
06-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Lovely rhodies, Marion! I so wish we could grow them here...thanks for hosting.

Antiqueteacher
06-04-2013, 07:35 PM
I have started mine!! Wheee. . .

Katherine

Vivien Maloney
06-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Me too Katherine.
I like to start my flower paintings with a fairly careful line drawing, and as I do it I'm looking at values and colors etc. Never painted Rhodies before....and all those wavey, frilly petals...goodness I think I'm cross-eyed and seeing double by this time! I've got frills and curves going everywhere (in my drawing, not me!) lol :lol:

mirizar
06-05-2013, 12:45 AM
Done with one :)

artbygail
06-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Hi flower pals,
I'm about half way through mine, hope it works out, hate to begin again.
Most simple flowers I just draw on the canvas freehand, but these rhodos and others with such a complicated jungle of petals, I bring up on computer as a black and white outline sketch. Only the outer lines show up dark and the inner lines do not show up at all. I trace what is there onto canvas and then bring the original flower in colour up on my desk top.

Here the challenge begins. I look at the flower on desktop with canvas in hand on keyboard and draw in all the inside joints, swirls etc. These are so difficult to understand, which petal is which and how they join, I just get cross eyed. Even after all this, when down to the painting, the flower gets away from me and I realize that I have painted a petal wrong. It certainly is a challenge alright with figuring out the shapes, colour, details and background and every part of the composition at the same time. Poppies are soooo easy.
Gail

marionh
06-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Wow Katherine, Vivien, Michelle and Gail, 3 started and one done.:clap:
You put me to shame :lol:

Don't forget those soft edges - this does mean that you don't need to detail some of those outer petals. I just hope I can listen to my own advice.

I think I will do mine in oils, maybe 30x30cm (12"x12"). I've been meaning to paint some of these for a while, I just need to choose which one.:D

marionh
06-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Peeps, the May Gallery has been posted, thank you, Shar!!. . .29 Parrot Tulips altogether in our Garden!! Great job!! We should try for 30+ Rhoddys, right, Marion?!! :clap: :clap:

Looking for my ref as we speak!!

It'll be great if we achieve that :D I always like to see how people tackle the same subject, it always fascinates me how different the paintings are.

Thanks Lea for the ref. That's a lovely colour. Yes I think its a rhoddy, the flowers are usually much larger than azaleas.

KreativeK
06-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Researching the rhodies, I've learned they are also called azaleas, of which I do have photos...thought so, but wasn't sure.

marionh
06-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Hi Kay,
I had to look it up, because in my mind there is a clear distinction.

This is what I found
The group, Rhododendron, includes both Rhododendrons and Azaleas. Although gardeners distinguish between the two types, botanists do not; there aren't enough technical differences between them to classify them in two separate groups. In this genus (Rhododendron), both Rhododendron and Azalea are used as common names. The distinctions that follow are sometimes made by gardeners: (and are broad generalizations)

The plants called Rhododendrons are usually evergreen and those labeled Azaleas are deciduous, although there are evergreen Azaleas. Rhododendrons have ten or more stamens, while Azaleas have five. Rhododendrons have large, paddle-shaped leaves and large, bell- or funnel-shaped flowers borne in terminal trusses. Azaleas have small, elliptical leaves and trumpet- or tubular-shaped flowers at the ends of the shoots. Rhododendrons may be erect, growing up to 80 feet high, while Azaleas are more twiggy, spreading bushes, often reaching a height of no more than 8 feet.

Interesting that botanically they are the same and it is mostly a gardening difference, but I would like this challenge to be based around the larger flower/larger leafed variety.:D

But if you have some nice pics to share, well......... :evil: :D :lol:

Charlie's Mum
06-08-2013, 01:41 PM
These last few days in the Yorkshire Dales (Marion will know!), I am surrounded by Rhodos, both cultivated and wild..... also have a white azalea just opening in a tub on our deck.
I've taken photos so we'll see how they come out when we're home .... fingers crossed.
Painting of them? ?... not yet!!!

Sharrm
06-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Glad you looked it up Marion, sometimes it's hard to tell. But now I know the best way to tell the difference....... Rhododendrons have ten or more stamens, while Azaleas have five.....I spent a good time in the Library yesterday, trying to sort through which was which by size. This will really help.... :D

ullahennig
06-09-2013, 05:49 AM
It took me some time to decide which reference photo I would take. Now I know, so I printed out the reference photo. I will have a go at it with my coloured pencils, but I must say I am a bit afraid of tackling the frilliness of the petals... It is really a challenge!

marionh
06-09-2013, 10:21 AM
These last few days in the Yorkshire Dales (Marion will know!), I am surrounded by Rhodos, both cultivated and wild..... also have a white azalea just opening in a tub on our deck.
I've taken photos so we'll see how they come out when we're home .... fingers crossed.
Painting of them? ?... not yet!!!

Yes - they look lovely dotted here and there and give a real splash of colour, although you know they shouldn't be there and are a menace to the native plants :lol:

Hope you post some of those pics Maureen.

marionh
06-09-2013, 10:31 AM
It took me some time to decide which reference photo I would take. Now I know, so I printed out the reference photo. I will have a go at it with my coloured pencils, but I must say I am a bit afraid of tackling the frilliness of the petals... It is really a challenge!

Looking forward, as usual, to your coloured pencil rendition. Of course you know that you don't have to show all those frill, just suggest them in places and let the mind do the rest - they could be the lost and found edges.::lol: I found with coloured pencils the best way was to cut into the lighter areas for the frills and cracks, but you don't need any lessons from me.

I've chosen my ref and have started on mine with the first layer, and just when I think I have a technique mastered I do something completely different at the start than what I intended. Is it that the flowers talk to us and tell us what they want?:lol:
It already looks too tight, but then again I often find, I have to go tight and with hard edges at the beginning and loosen up later, completely the wrong way round than perceived wisdom.:( :D I always tell myself that no one else has seen those exact crinkles and curls so they can't compare the painting with the ref.

meggs
06-09-2013, 07:59 PM
I had a stroke of luck. On my rounds found a Rhody flowering at a Clients house.. back next day with a camera :lol:

Margaretta
06-10-2013, 05:01 AM
Well this is much more tricky than I thought! I have actually started and these blooms are very delicate indeed. You cannot imagine how difficult this is for me who loves to splodge heavy colours!:lol: :)
I'm TRYING water colour but the effect is......heavy. :( Keep blotting out the light and translucency; just can't leave any white paper, not used to doing that :confused: The great water-colourists here will gasp in horror.:eek: How do you KNOW to leave the gaps?? :o Well, calling it ....alternative rhodies.....

Very interesting about the differences, thank you. Have squinted at the stamens and the stems are white or light green, lots of them, so how do I paint those over the water-colour background?
Thinking glue......cotton.....aaaaaarrrrrggghhh!!:confused: Trying very hard......:heart:

artbygail
06-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Margaretta,

You are not alone, I struggle with the same issues and with acrylics, get that!!

The folded edges are a problem, heavy colours also, about the twisting and twirling of the petals where they disappear into the darkness and where they pop out again.... I can never find these in looking at the photo.

One problem was solved when the artist above gave us the difference between Rhodos and Azaleas re: the petals and stamens. Although their stem colours are difficult to distinguish over the background.

I guess we just have to stumble through this project and learn a lot about flowers and our mediums with this challenge.:crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers:
Gail.

Lea51
06-10-2013, 03:57 PM
I haven't even begun yet! I'm still looking at the references and trying to figure out what to paint! Here's hoping I decide what to paint in time to get it done!

artbygail
06-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Moderators,

Would it be possible in another thread for some knowledgeable artists do
do a wip on how to paint folded edges of flowers? I know there are different methods and different mediums and that would be interesting to see a variety all in one thread and so helpful.
Thank you,
Gail

Margaretta
06-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Gail, I think Charlie's Mum has covered this in her Paintalong thread in Acrylics.
Glad you are also perturbed....but we won't let those rhodies beat us; if necessary we'll splodge together expressively......:cat: :wink2:

Vivien Maloney
06-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Margaretta - If you are painting with Watercolor, try brushing on"Masking Fluid" on the stamens. That will leave them white when you rub off the masking fluid and you can then paint them any color you want.

Margaretta
06-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Vivien, that is a great tip...I didn't know that you could do that.
I finished this afternoon before I saw this post. I have already used pale green for the stamens as at the time I saw no other solution so next time....:thumbsup:

Many thanks for that Viv and for taking the time to tell me.:)
Hope that you and everyone are getting on OK. :) Just in time...our rhodies are dying now.

ullahennig
06-12-2013, 05:35 AM
Marion, I would most gladly accept any lesson from you! I've done a tiny part of the rhodo and one first layer of the background. It definitely is not in a realistic style, but I am trying to catch the essence of the rhodo (or what I think the essence is...).

justjean
06-12-2013, 01:58 PM
One almost finished but I'm not really sure of what I'm looking at :D

PattiLou
06-12-2013, 03:48 PM
One almost finished but I'm not really sure of what I'm looking at :D
I think you can go cross-eyed trying to find the petals!:D

HappyHeart
06-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Beautiful Rhoddies. Unfortunately I'm sure I won't be able to paint one this session, but I'll be watching on the 25th to see all the beautiful work. Blessings All.

Vivien Maloney
06-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Hi there HappyHeart - :wave: Yes do check out the Rhoddies paintings on the 25th and any time you have a chance to join our Plant Parades, please do.

Patti - Yes, I'm also going cross-eyed trying to work out which petal belongs to which flower....not easy! I think I'll give it a spell for a day and come back to it, as my heads spinning with all those gentle curves and similar values.:confused:

justjean
06-13-2013, 02:14 AM
Got it done, a few petal in the wrong place, many mutilated, cross eyed, head aching and never want to try painting a roddy again :D

meggs
06-13-2013, 04:02 AM
JEAN :lol::lol: You dont have to copy the darn thing, its a reference, not a bloody photograph..... cracking up here:lol:

marionh
06-13-2013, 04:38 AM
Sorry, for the silence. I have been fighting with my internet service provider grrrrh!

Very interesting about the differences, thank you. Have squinted at the stamens and the stems are white or light green, lots of them, so how do I paint those over the water-colour background?
Thinking glue......cotton.....aaaaaarrrrrggghhh!!:confused: Trying very hard......:heart:
Margaretta Stamens are often painted a darker colour so that the stand out, even if that isn't the case IRL. You could also use pastel pencil or oil pastel on top of the watercolour. Masking fluid works, but can leave hard edges. I never seem to have any luck with masking fluid.

Folding edges - lighter on the fold, darker where they meet the other petal and graded between the two areas. Look for where there is shadow under the folded leaf, this helps to define the folded petal. What also helps is to put a very thin line following the shape of the fold in the middle of the petal. Many flowers have a darker line or two.

Marion, I would most gladly accept any lesson from you! I've done a tiny part of the rhodo and one first layer of the background. It definitely is not in a realistic style, but I am trying to catch the essence of the rhodo (or what I think the essence is...).
Ulla Glad you're progressing. Thanks for the compliment, I'm not sure I would be a teacher:D I get very frustrated when things don't work out.:lol:

One almost finished but I'm not really sure of what I'm looking at :D:lol: :lol:

Jean Wow, nearly finished. I'm sure it will be up to your usual standard.

Patti Have a look at the entries, and if you can't join us this month - maybe you can next month.

Meggs Well said:lol: :lol:

marionh
06-13-2013, 04:43 AM
I had an idea of doing several thin layers in mine, but after the first layer I found I was using much thicker paint than I intended. This is obviously my natural inclination :lol:
When painting from life, the petals and flower moves - I'm sure they do on a photo too! The petals swap over and suddenly they are all mixed up on the painting.:lol:

I'm just about to go down to my studio (posh name for a small spare bedroom) to have a look at it and decide how to continue. I wanted to do a WIP but after taking the first photo, I forgot to take anymore!

justjean
06-13-2013, 10:42 AM
:lol: JEAN :lol::lol: You dont have to copy the darn thing, its a reference, not a bloody photograph..... cracking up here

Meggs :p , I know I'm an idiot :lol: :D :lol:

Vivien Maloney
06-14-2013, 12:33 AM
Marion - I'm trying thin, transparent layers in Acrylic for my Rhoddie painting.
Haven't tried this before for a whole painting. It's looking ok, but like you, I'm loosing patience with it and feel like going mad with some thicker paint! I think I may persevere with those thin glazes though, as it will be interesting to see how it turns out....ok I hope.... only time will tell. :crossfingers: :evil:

mirizar
06-14-2013, 01:31 AM
I went with watercolors for this one and let the paint do whatever it wanted in some areas...I would never attempt these flowers in oils or acrylics, no way...it would be so hard for me to make them look delicate...so all of you trying acrylics or oils, you are my heroes!

marionh
06-14-2013, 08:09 AM
I went with watercolors for this one and let the paint do whatever it wanted in some areas...I would never attempt these flowers in oils or acrylics, no way...it would be so hard for me to make them look delicate...so all of you trying acrylics or oils, you are my heroes!

Michelle, You're so right. I've given up on delicate and I am now going for "essence of rhododendron":lol: :lol:

Antiqueteacher
06-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Keep slogging, GF's!! You will win in the end!!! :clap: :clap: We have seen your work and it is always brilliant!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Might I say, Marion, this is a real challenge?!? :angel: I remember now why I have avoided these beauties. . .but, moving onward and upward!! :crossfingers: :crossfingers: So glad you challenged us out of our 'safety' zone! :thumbsup:

marionh
06-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Katherine - I agree it's not easy but a challenge keeps us on our toes and makes life interesting don't your think. :D :thumbsup:

I've put more paint on mine and I must say I like it much better now. It even has soft and hard edgers, but I am finding the lost and found difficult.
I gave myself a stern talking to and carried on without the reference, just painting by instinct. I found I was concentrating too much on the reference.

I shall tweak it a bit tomorrow and put in the stamens. Then I might call it finished :clap: :clap:

Maybe I might have time to do another:music:

Charlie's Mum
06-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Years ago I did a rhody for a WDE - when I first started using the acrylic inks - it's still a favourite painting :D ...... unfortunately, can't show it :lol: - but w/cor inks, plus pens, are a good medium ;)

Haven't started yet - real gardening is taking my time while at home - rain stopped play earlier but dinner called ... *sigh* ...... I will get there though!
Going to look at those pics I took now - uploaded to the comp and hope they are without 'shake'!!!:lol:

Charlie's Mum
06-14-2013, 05:44 PM
PS - Have uploaded some Rhodies (some I think, are azaleas though all were labelled as rhodies!!!) from the Botanical Gardens at Harlow Carr, Harrogate in the UK.
Some yellow ones there!!! :evil:

They're HERE! (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=30494)

meggs
06-14-2013, 06:28 PM
No Mum, these are Rhodies, the leaves are to big for azaleas. :wave:

Yabut
06-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Hi gang. I'm still painting woodwork here. From reading the messages in this thread, I'd say I have an easier job this month. It is so interesting to "listen" to you all go through the different steps to get what you are after. I will be just as excited to see the results this month as I was when I participated last month. I can't imagine how I would have tackled this project anyway. But then, I've managed lilacs twice so far, so maybe I would have tried to remember how on earth I did that. LOL.

Karen

Lea51
06-15-2013, 11:35 AM
I'm still looking at reference photos! My plan is to start today, but I must agree that this will truly be a challenge. I've taken many photos of azaleas and some of rhododendrons, and have never gotten up the nerve to paint them! So this plant parade challenge will really be a challenge!

Antiqueteacher
06-15-2013, 02:22 PM
Maureen, the second and third one are Azaleas-the watermelon colored ones. They grow here. (Sorry Meryl!! :angel: ) Guess they are using the Rhodie name for all of these beauties now! :rolleyes: The one I am painting could be either, I guess. Do you know how many leaves there are on these plants?!?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol: It is a good thing that I had reordered some greens!! :lol: Perhaps if I had gotten closer. . .:D

Marion, you are right AND the reason I have stayed with the PP's for so long, I need the challenges to keep me growing as an artist!! (Well, besides I love all you Peeps!! :clap: ) Look at all the things we have learned about the different flowers over the years!!

Charlie's Mum
06-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Katherine - I think this forum is more home to you than the other!!!!!!!!!!! :D ........ and that's nice :D

Vivien Maloney
06-16-2013, 01:39 AM
I'm finished....I'm finished!!!!:music: :music: :music: :D :music: :music: :smug: :music: :music: :):music: :music:
It was a difficult subject, but you're right Marian, it does help to push ourselves every now and then. And I'm actually quite happy with what I've produced....not very often that happens, believe me! Thank you so much for Hosting and choosing the Rhododendron Marian. :heart: :clap:

Sharrm
06-16-2013, 04:47 AM
Double post

Sharrm
06-16-2013, 04:47 AM
Hey Maureen, some great photos. Here's something that
Marion found about Rhodys and Azaleas on which is which that she posted earlier............

Marion......This is what I found
(Quote)
The group, Rhododendron, includes both Rhododendrons and Azaleas. Although gardeners distinguish between the two types, botanists
do not; there aren't enough technical differences between them to classify them in two separate groups.
In this genus (Rhododendron), both Rhododendron and Azalea are used as common names.
The distinctions that follow are sometimes made by gardeners: (and are broad generalizations)

The plants called Rhododendrons are usually evergreen and those labeled Azaleas are deciduous,
although there are evergreen Azaleas. Rhododendrons have ten or more stamens, while Azaleas have five.
Rhododendrons have large, paddle-shaped leaves and large, bell- or funnel-shaped
flowers borne in terminal trusses. Azaleas have small, elliptical leaves and trumpet- or tubular-shaped
flowers at the ends of the shoots.
Rhododendrons may be erect, growing up to 80 feet high, while Azaleas are more twiggy, spreading bushes, often reaching
a height of no more than 80 feet. .....(/endQuote)

I've emphisized the part that makes it easy to tell the difference in my mind.....the number
of Stamens 5 for Azaleas and Ten or more for Rhodys.
A good quick reference for me. Hope it helps.....:wave:

marionh
06-16-2013, 05:10 AM
Great photos Maureen. The botanical gardens are great places, aren't they? Particularly for colour junkies like me :lol:

Great Vivian, looking forward to seeing it.

I've not done much more to mine, but I do have an idea for a watercolur one. I need to go and splash some colour about, especially as today is a very grey day (don't they know the sun is always supposed to shine on the Cote d'Azur!!).
Enjoy the rest of the weekend Peeps.

Charlie's Mum
06-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Thanks girls:D
Shar - I have some azaleas and they're evergreen - just to add to the confusion ......... in the Botanical Gardens, when I said 'Oh, azaleas' DH said they were labelled 'Rhodos', and they were ..... all of the plants - large-leafed, small-leafed, whatever ... so now I don't worry about it!:lol: :lol: ...... I'll just pick one and paint it :D:D

justjean
06-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Thanks girls:D
Shar - I have some azaleas and they're evergreen - just to add to the confusion ......... in the Botanical Gardens, when I said 'Oh, azaleas' DH said they were labelled 'Rhodos', and they were ..... all of the plants - large-leafed, small-leafed, whatever ... so now I don't worry about it!:lol: :lol: ...... I'll just pick one and paint it :D:D

and here I have been going cross eyed counting stamens :lol:

Antiqueteacher
06-17-2013, 12:40 AM
Jean!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shar, are you painting? I have missed your beauties recently!! :wave:

Am not quite half finished, but plugging along!! I refuse to count the leaves. . .then I saw how many flowers these have. . .:confused: :eek: :lol: My friends at our Studio tell me that I always pick the hardest paintings, but those are the ones that I like. . .details!! :rolleyes: I might have to take this one with me to the teacher's convention that I am attending this weekend. (It would not be the first one that I have taken with me to finish!!)

Maureen, I do love you guys a lot!! :heart:

Lea51
06-17-2013, 05:12 PM
I started mine this weekend...almost didn't because of various family obligations, but decided to go ahead anyway. It sure is a difficult subject, with lots of details, and my reference seemed to need a larger canvas than I've been using...all of which explains why it's taking me more than twice as long as usual! I couldn't finish it over the weekend, and I'm hoping that the paint hasn't gone tacky by the time I can get back to it tonight!

What a challenge! I'm still at the "it's not working out...I'm not liking it :( ...what do I need to do to make it work?!?!" stage. Here's hoping that I can get through that to the "oh, now it looks OK!" stage! :lol:

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
06-18-2013, 03:33 AM
Can I ask for a favor??????
Can someone in UK take some pics of the "pests" in the wild, I would LOVE to see these things in full flower among the other trees, etc.!
THANKYOU
Gentle Hugs, Stacey
PS. Having a argument with these petals.... like seriously, it's a selfish flower, like it really needs ALL those petals..... really??? LOLOLOLOLOL

Lea51
06-18-2013, 08:59 AM
Stacey, I hear ya! I thought I had finished mine last night, but then I took its picture and realized that there are still some things I need to tweak. sigh. This painting just refuses to be done...I guess it wants my attention for longer. A very self-centered flower! LoL

I also realized when I put in the stamens that heck! this may be an azalea and not a rhododendron! Too late now, it's my only entry for this month!

Charlie's Mum
06-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Stacey - you changed your name!:D

I'll be in the woods for the next few days - if any are still in flower now I'll take pics ........... I posted a link a few posts back of my recent pics of rhodies - take a peek:D

Lea51
06-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Maureen, I finally took a look at your references from the botanical garden, and saw one I should've painted! Maybe, if there's time, I'll do that one too... Or maybe I'll just file the photo in my To Paint folder!

Can't wait to see what everyone has done!

Antiqueteacher
06-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Well, I am off to my teacher's convention and still have not finished my beauty, so it gets a free ride with me!! Hope I have time at nights to sling a little paint on it! The gals are used to me taking a painting to finish, so they will not mind at all! Seems like the convention and the 25th are always close to each other!!

Have a great weekend and I will catch up when I get a chance!!

Hugs, Katherine

justjean
06-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Is everyone painting away , almost time for display :D

Vivien Maloney
06-23-2013, 01:47 AM
No I'm not painting as I've finished mine :smug: :evil: :lol: Sorry that sounds awfully smug doesn't it but I don't think, in all the years I've entered the Plant Parades, that I've been finished so early!
Actually it was too early, as I've been sitting around getting impatient most of the month for the 25th to come around, and the time has seemed to crawl!!!!! BUT only a couple of days left to......."reveal day". :D Goodness, I hope after waiting so long, I don't forget to post on Tuesday! :angel:

justjean
06-23-2013, 06:59 AM
Me too, Viv :D

Charlie's Mum
06-23-2013, 08:26 AM
Painting waves, but not rhodies .... yet :D
Got more pics last week, of the naturalised ones - will upload to RIL soon as poss. :)

justjean
06-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Some beautiful flowers in those photos, Maureen, thanks :thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
06-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Thanks Jean - I think I'd better pick one - quick!:lol:

Vivien Maloney
06-24-2013, 04:02 AM
Ok guys tomorrow is Tuesday 25th for me & Meggs and all those "down under"!
Are we all ready?

ullahennig
06-24-2013, 04:02 AM
I've finished mine as well (quite some days ago, I must admit), and I am so looking forward to see your pieces!

Charlie's Mum
06-24-2013, 07:09 AM
Ok guys tomorrow is Tuesday 25th for me & Meggs and all those "down under"!
Are we all ready?

NO!!!!! :D ... not yet ;)

marionh
06-24-2013, 07:15 AM
Still working on mine - aaagh. Doesn't want to say "I'm finished"

Charlie's Mum
06-24-2013, 08:38 AM
Just testing uploading from tablet ...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2013/30494-20130619_155124.jpg

That worked .... not my painting I hasten to add!!!:lol:

Lea51
06-24-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm counting the minutes...although I'll only have the one ready to post. I'm not sure I'll get the other one done, since I didn't have any time to work on it this weekend!

justjean
06-24-2013, 10:15 AM
I'm watching and waiting also, Lea :thumbsup:

marionh
06-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Well, I am calling mine done. Just need to pop in some stamens tomorrow when it has dried a little. I added lost more paint, and tried hard with my lost edges and at the last moment remembered my lost and found edges.
Not sure I like it, but I shall reserve judgement until tomorrow.

I have also stretched some watercolour paper and sketched a rough outline out as I have an idea for a watercolour. Will not get that down tomorrow, but maybe the day after.

How did everyone go with their edges?

Vivien Maloney
06-24-2013, 03:33 PM
Good morning all :wave: ....Tuesday 25th so here's mine.

A4 size - Atelier Interactives Acrylics on watercolour paper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2013/196305-img094_Copy_for_Acrylics.jpg
C & C's welcome and appreciated

marionh
06-24-2013, 03:35 PM
Beautiful Viv. nice shade and highlights :clap:

justjean
06-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Viv, you have really raised the bar with your absolutely gorgeous painting :thumbsup:

Antiqueteacher
06-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Viv, impressive!! Love the colors and the details!! Wow, you always start us off so well!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Not sure mine will be finished tomorrow. . .at the teachers' convention, they kept me so busy that I did get a little bit of work finished, but not enough to be called finished! It won't be long, though! :o

Can't wait to see the rest of these beauties!! :clap: :clap:

Hugs, Peeps!!

Katherine :music: :music:

justjean
06-25-2013, 01:30 AM
Here's my offerings for this months garden :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2013/36920-Mountain_American_Rhododendron.jpg
The reference was a Public Domain of an American Rhodo.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2013/36920-pink_rhododron.jpg
From the RIL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2013/36920-white_azalea.jpg
another from the RIL posted by Maureen , lots of stamens so thought it would fit :lol:

meggs
06-25-2013, 02:12 AM
Jean these are a delight..
Viv what a beauty, and with the interactives to....

Im sorry Im letting the forum down, I havent finished my one an only... I just couldnt settle this month... I have only stamens to add, but its been like that for 2 weeks :o..Ill try and finish but I dislike it so much its a chore.

hopen
06-25-2013, 06:51 AM
wow, gorgeous, I suddenly feel very shy about sharing my pink rhodys!
Hope

Good morning all :wave: ....Tuesday 25th so here's mine.

A4 size - Atelier Interactives Acrylics on watercolour paper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2013/196305-img094_Copy_for_Acrylics.jpg
C & C's welcome and appreciated

hopen
06-25-2013, 06:53 AM
Here's my offerings for this months garden :D

amazing! I think my fave is the middle one but they're all so beautiful.

hopen
06-25-2013, 07:04 AM
I feel really shy now, after seeing Vivien and Jean's amazing flowers. I'm eager for constructive criticism, as I obviously have no idea what I am doing.

The white one was done as part of another forum's exercise on limited palette painting, its just white and paynes grey. reference image for both paintings, one I found by googling :-)

Please tell me anything that wil help me improve.

Lea51
06-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Here's my effort...It's a little larger than the ones I've been doing, at 9x12", but still not too large. It's oil on gessobord, and I think it's azaleas, not rhododendrons, but when I counted stamens, I think I included the ones from the flowers behind the front, and got confused...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2013/69963-Azaleas_or_Rhododendrons.jpg

I'll come back later to check out everyone else's..I'm at work now, and shouldn't even be doing this! :angel:

ecobb
06-25-2013, 12:03 PM
I did a couple. I need all the practice I can get especially after seeing what’s been posted so far.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2013/91975-Flowers_02_003.JPG
11x15 on 90 lb. wc paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2013/91975-Roden_II_001.jpg
11x13 on brown wrapping paper.

Lea51
06-25-2013, 12:28 PM
I couldn't stay away...had to check out all the beautiful flowers!

Vivien--It's beautiful! And you got very nice hard and soft edges... I even see a lost edge or two in the flower on the lower right (If I'm interpreting lost edges/broken edges correctly!?) Bravo! :clap:

Jean--I especially love the middle one, although the 3rd one is also quite beautiful! And you've got some great hard and soft edges, and lost edges too! :clap:

Hope--I like the orange one better than the white and grey one, but that's just because I love color. In the orange one, you've got good soft edges, but the hard edges look a little blurry (is that the photo?) I like the composition of the white and grey one...I just wish you could add a hint of color...

Eric--lovely, vibrant colors! I like the first one better, I think maybe because the flowers seem more well-formed? Good efforts though!

ullahennig
06-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Beautiful paintings so far! Here's mine:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2013/984492-rhododendron.jpg
Coloured pencils on drawing cardboard. 17x24 cms
Looking forward to comments and critique!

artbygail
06-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Well here is mine 10 x 10. I think Vivien and I cropped the same photo.
After I got past the hurdle of all the petals, it became fun.
Gail
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2013/909-rhodo_downsized.jpg

KreativeK
06-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Viv - vivid pinks here! This is your best work ever!
Jean - Love all 3 of yours! Lots of work with each one, and am assuming all are digital.
hopen - your pinkish-apricot tones in this are lovely and white one has lots of drama. You might add darks for a stronger balance.
Lea - beautiful oil! I do like the long stamens for a diagonal movement, so hope you won't change those.
Eric - your watercolors are super, loose and luscious. Nice style!
Ulla - your linework is wonderful used with the CPs. It really sets them off.
Gail - the close crop you did turned out perfectly. Lovely!

I've not finished mine due to being bogged down with a commission that is taking way too long and preventing me from having fun...oh well. My turn to host is rapidly approaching so hope to have the images up on Sunday.

Antiqueteacher
06-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Jean, what wonderful digi’s!! Love the flirty feel of the first one and the brightness and fullness of the second one. The third one is so crisp!! Great border, too! I think that maybe you should be teaching the rest of us how you do the digi’s!! Great job!! :thumbsup:

Hope, you hold your head up, GF, these are wonderful!! Love the blush of color on the first one and the bg is really perfect for the flowers!! Nice drawing and shading on your second one!! Great job and we are looking forward to see what you do next!! BTW, we like to know the the sizes of each of your paintings, the paper used, and the paints used. . .along with the medium! :wave:

Lea, what a brilliant splash of color on your Rhododendrons!! Love the weaving of the colors with the greens! Remember, the Azaleas and Rhododendrons are under the same name, so we are glad that you posted the right flower! :D

Way to go, Eric!! Love the rich colors in both of your paintings!! What a great combination in your second one. . .beautiful colors!! You used Watercolors on brown paper? Interesting!! :cat:

Ulla, wow, this is such a sweet painting! Great job on the bg, too! Nice rich colors!! :clap:

Gail, how pretty and saucy!! Love the added details on the flowers, too! Wonderful movement throughout!! Would love to pick one of these and put it on my table at home!! :)

hopen
06-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Looks like I can't edit after a certain time... sorry. Mine are both acrylic on canvas, monochrome is 10x10" and the pink is about 10x4".

While I'm posting again I may as well ask a question! I have a mixture of brands of paint- and without realising it have purchased several colours in the interactives (the shop where I buy paint is usually low on stock in one range or the other). Is mixing interactives with regular faster drying acrylics a bad idea or is there anything I need to think about with this?

Thanks for all the constructive comments, I will take them all on.

Hope

Antiqueteacher
06-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Hope, that is a very good question and you can start a thread in the Acrylic Forum and I know that the artists there will know the answer to that question. This is a mixed medium challenge. I paint in Watercolor and have no idea! :angel:

everythingsheneeds
06-25-2013, 09:46 PM
Wow!!!! Vivien!!!! Beautiful!!!! You shine this month! I'm still dabbling in watercolor. I live in a town that is known for beautiful azaleas and the Rhododendron is very similar so I went for it. Both of mine are watercolor, the first one is 10x14 and the second is 8x10.

happy painting,
chana

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2013/188242-rhodo1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2013/188242-rhodo2.jpg

mirizar
06-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Great job everyone. I'll comment individually in a while. Here is my interpretation in watercolors (on 8x10 inch 140 lb. CP paper):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2013/31994-rhododendron_wc.jpg
I think I went too bright with the colors, but oh, I love color!

Vivien Maloney
06-25-2013, 11:45 PM
Jean - Wonderful work. I agree with Katherine "you should be teaching us how to do digi work". Your work is amazing.

Hopen - Great job on both of yours! The colored one is lovely and the black & white one is crisp and clean. You could darken your darks a little in the shadows which would make it pop of the page more.
Yes you can use ordinary Acrylics with Interactives. I did so in my Rhoddie painting this month as Interactives didn't have quite the correct pink I wanted so I mixed Galleria" Permanent Rose" with Interactive "Aliz. Crimson", to get the color I required. Worked well.

Lea - Beautiful and I like the way the front flower - the focal point - is emphasized with light and the others recede behind it.

Eric - lovely, bright colors in your paintings!

Gail - Lovely and I like your crop!

Chana - Gorgeous watercolor! I don't think you went too bright with the colors and I like your soft wet-n-wet background too. The dark background really emphasizes the fragile blooms.

Thanks for all your lovely comments on mine.

Antiqueteacher
06-26-2013, 09:44 AM
Chana, wow, GF, these are lush!! Love the softness and the boldness at the same time!! Great job!! :clap: :clap:

Michelle, makes you want to go to a wedding with someone carrying this beautiful bouquet!! Love the colors and the freshness of the painting!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Have not had a moment to paint anything since I have gotten home, but will work on it in ASAP!! I think that 'they' waited for me to return and 'saved' 9 million things for me to do. . .:clear: I WANT TO PAINT!!! :lol: :lol:

GF's, you have done beautiful paintings. . .keep 'em coming!!!

Katherine :music: :music:

marionh
06-26-2013, 10:14 AM
I have had a quick look through and it all looks wonderful.:clap: :clap: I shall be back later today to comment individually.
I've been looking at mine, and I hate it!!!! but I thought I would post it as it is - not done the stamens but I have just indicated them at the moment. I think I will scrape some of it back and then attack it with a knife - palette knife that it :lol: to add some life to it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2013/42113-rhoddy-1-web.jpg
30x30cm oil on box canvas.

Charlie's Mum
06-26-2013, 10:42 AM
I'll be back to comment later but I did catch Hope's post ......
Yes, it's OK to mix Interactives with others, they just lose their 'open' time:)

Here's mine - acrylic inks, w/c paper (Hahnemuule) 30x20cm (about 12x8")

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2013/30494-rhodos_june_13.jpg

:wave:

Lea51
06-26-2013, 02:13 PM
More lovely paintings!

ulla--lovely colored pencils! Vibrant colors and nicely graded background.

Gail--love the soft focus and the close crop (I should have done that...it would have saved a lot of aggravation :lol: )

chana--Lovely soft watercolors. I love the way you suggest form, especially in the second one.

Michelle--I love it! The colors are not too bright at all! They're perfect. From deep to light, all values are present too. Nice work!

Marion--why do you hate it?!?!? It's lovely! Lots of movement, and lovely pinks!

Maureen--so nice and delicate! Yet such nice bright colors! Beautiful! And you got the hard edges, soft edges, and lost edges called for in the challenge! :thumbsup: Great work!

Charlie's Mum
06-26-2013, 02:16 PM
A plea to our Plant Paraders ..........

We need a host for next months PP - any takers?
I can do the following month but I'm hosting the Different Strokes , Acrylics, in July as well as the Paint-A-long thread there.
Would appreciate some help!:D

Also, we've run out of hosts for future months :eek: so if you'd like to host a month, please check the schedule thread - it's a sticky, so easy to find :D

Charlie's Mum
06-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Viv - you really have got to grips with those Inters! This is beautiful - lovely smooth application, gorgeous light and colour.

Jean, I'm gobsmacked!:lol: Designs and colours on each are beautiful, and super light!

Hope - you're so hard on yourself! We all are still learning, however long we've been painting!
The peach one is lovely - delicate colouring, nice design - just lovely!
The monochrome one just needs more white areas for the highlights ... it's not an easy flower to paint but your observation of the shapes is quite good and I think it may well be the lack of colour that's making you unhappy with it!

Lea - lovely colouring and beautifully captures light! That main flower and those leaves on the left are partic. gorgeous!

Eric - I'm glad all the women haven't frightened you off!:lol:
These are very lively and the second one is very fiery, bursting with vitality.

Ulla - nice flower! Some pen work also? Colour is very good but maybe the suggestion of some leaves would anchor the flower better?

Gail - lovely G O'K macro! Love the closeup and very nice colour! Is it acrylics?

Chana - another 2 outstanding paintings -I really like the subtley of your colours - gorgeous work.

Michelle - this glows! I like the vibrancy of your colours in the flower - yummy!

Marion - don't know why you don't like this, it's bursting off the canvas, demanding attention!:lol:

Lea - thank you for your comment on mine:) And thank you for showing interest in hosting - I hope you take a month!

Hope - I answered your acrylics query above:)

Yabut
06-26-2013, 04:44 PM
Vivien....acrylics with the delicateness of watercolour. Nicely done! I especially like the deep orange throats of the flowers.

Jean....sweet simplicity. (other comments confused me as I assumed only the first one was yours. If not, then you certainly have a variety of styles!)

Hope.....don't be shy. You did a fine job. Only suggestion would be to darken the centers of the flowers to make them recede deeper into the blossom.

Lea....Azaleas or Rhoddies, who cares...It Gorgeous!

Eric.... Love your bright colours!

Ulla.... Coloured pencils may have been the best way to attack all those petals. Way to go!

Gail.....Lovely. I especially like the purple shadows.

Chana.... You have such a wonderful style.

Michelle....What a lovely brilliant watercolour. This one speaks to me!

Marion.... Love your colour usage.

Maureen.... I'm not sure if I've heard of acrylic inks before, but now you have made me want some. The certainly worked well for this project!

Karen
(who is now very sorry I couldn't fit this project into my schedule this month....even though I'm sure I wouldn't have done as well as you guys did).

Charlie's Mum
06-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Thanks Karen - and yours would fit right in with these!
Here's a classroom (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285864) I did about the inks way back in 2005 (when I first came across them) - still relevant though!
They're liquid acrylics and made by quite a few manufacturers now.

Margaretta
06-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Sorry...late again! Glorious pictures below! Wow! Life taking over painting. But I did manage a rhodedendron at the beginning of the month and forgot about it and then forgot the 25th!
New media mix for me: water colour and felt tip pen. Can't remember why? Think dark, stormy day and flowers dreading the heavy cloud above.....good story but this does seem very dull for a rhodie. Promise neons next time...:angel: :wink2:
It's on cartridge paper and measures 29.5 x 26.5cms.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2013/216855-Gold_and_Rhodedendron_June_2013_004.JPG

artbygail
06-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Charlie's Mum

To answer your question. Yes my painting is acrylics, just watered down some, more easy flowing like watercolours. This way my colours are a little lighter, otherwise I tend to get into heavy colours. But this lighter way does not always work out. :)

Gail

Margaretta
06-26-2013, 07:03 PM
It's nearly a month since I painted mine and am now thinking it could be posted upside-down!:o :rolleyes: Oh well.....life's more fun that way...I think!:cat:

More important are the breathtaking pictures posted correctly....:)

Vivien: So beautifully drawn and such a glorious confection of colour. Lovely.
Jean: The first one is intriguing and I like the texture. The composition is deceptively simple as there is a lot to see. Your second and third are spectacular oils.
Hopen: That first is a really pretty cluster. Your second is interesting and a good black and white study. I like your flowing petals. Remember to add a dark/light suggestion to small details such as the anthers and stamens.
Lea: I'd love to stand amongst these gorgeous flowers. Your garden is rich with colours and varied brushmarks.
Eric; Brown wrapping paper....LOVE IT! It's a great surface and easier to paint on the non-shiny side. I think your pictures glow and zing!
Ulla: I do like the way the flowers cluster and have depth. Coloured pencils need your skill and patience. What did you use to outline?
Gail: I'm the opposite in that I loved doing the petals and disliked the pistil and stamens. Wonderful detail, your rhodies are like whirling dancers!
Chana: I looked and looked at your paintings. The colours evoke fabrics I have seen from about 1940...those subtle and glowing rich hues.
My favourite is the first, a majestic explosion of petals. The second, an azalea? is very interesting...like the cubist style.
Michelle: You can't be too bright with rhodies! These sizzle as a celebration cluster.
marion: Aaaaarrgghh! Please don't attack...enjoy! Your painting is exuberant with strong colours and shapes.
Hope I haven't missed anyone so far. Really enjoyed looking and learning.:) :) :)

Violetta
06-26-2013, 08:38 PM
I wish I had been able to participate this month. I'll just have to be satisfied with enjoying the glorious, gorgeous paintings posted here! Great work everyone! :thumbsup:

meggs
06-26-2013, 10:02 PM
Finally got it completed... This is a Vireya Rhodie, the golden variety... This is a popular variety in Australia.. To look at it in blossom, the flowers look almost like plastic.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2013/200778-P.P._June_13.JPG

justjean
06-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Thanks to all for your much appreciated comments on my three :wave:

Hope, both are great and I'll bet the white painting would look super from a distance

Ulla, lovely and frilly with great colour

Gail, love the flower, the crop and the colours

Chana, wonderful looseness and colours in these beauties

Michelle, a beautiful lovely and delicate flower

Marion, a beautiful and bold flower with great colours

Maureen, so wonderfully delicate with soft summer colours

Margaretta, love the mood of this lovely painting upside or down :D

Meggs, so glad you could find time and your flower is beautiful with it's strong colours and lovely shapes

marionh
06-27-2013, 03:53 AM
Jean these are all lovely, hard to choose a fav, but I think the delicate nature of the second one just wins. The posy is charming and scores extra points.:clap:

Hopen Nothing to be shy about. the first just needs a touch more shadow. The black and white is an interesting exercise and you've captured the 'essential' elements in an interesting composition.:clap:

Lea Lovely. Nice focal point and good recession with the soft flowers int eh background. Good edges :clap:

Eric You have a distinctive style and these look like you enjoyed painting them. I especially like the second one. Nice lost edges and good hard edges for the focal point.:clap:

Ulla Beautiful use of colour. like the contrast of the turquoise green and pink (one of my fav colour combinations). You've maintained your highlights nicely. :clap:

Gail Wonderful. Nice crop and good edgers:clap:

ChanaBoth gorgeous. Love how you muted your colours and still retain the 'colourfulness' (my new word for the month) and delicacy.:clap:. :clap:

Absolutely stunning work so far. Back to comment on the others later.

Lea51
06-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Thanks to everyone who had nice comments on my (most likely) azaleas (instead of rhododendrons)!

Margaretta--And I thought you were just making the painting more interesting by making it go from lighter at the bottom left to darker at the top right! But I'll probably like it even better right side up! Your flowers are so beautifully formed!

Meggs--What beautiful colors! And I like the cast shadows you've included below the leaves and stems... Sounds like a really pretty and interesting variant...I've just got to get down to Australia sometime in my life!!!

justjean
06-27-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm sorry but I just realized that I missed two beauties :o

Lea, a lovely delicate painting with soft colours

Eric, two great paintings with bright bold colours

artbygail
06-27-2013, 01:20 PM
Morning everyone,

Such a lovely abundance of beautiful Rhododendrons, Great work everyone, a lot of thought and energy gone into the making of each one. What a collection, you all should be very proud.

It takes me many hours to complete a flower but thanks to this forum and monthly challenge I am so encouraged to carry on. Looking forward to July challenge. Best group ever!

Today I am going with my camera group to a photo shoot at inside nursery full of flowers all in bloom. We have permission to take photos. Think of the variety, colour, aroma, and the song of each flower. OH, I will be in heaven. :music: :music: :music:
Gail

Antiqueteacher
06-27-2013, 04:03 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2013/146894-01-Anciently_Waiting__6-2013_001.JPG

This is my Rhodie for the PP!! It took many hours and lots of love!! :heart: I love details, so this one fit the bill for me. You cannot see any stamens, though, sorry, the eyes would not allow that!! :angel: It has been all over Texas during the painting stage, so it is a serious traveler!! It could be up to 100 years old, too. I just love Bonsai plants, too! :heart:

Watercolor, Arches 140#, cp, 1/2 sheet, and DS paints!

Marion, thank you for choosing such a wonderful plant this month AND for hosting!! :clap: :clap:

Will be back later to comment on the ones I have missed!! :thumbsup:

Enjoy, Katherine :music: :music:

Charlie's Mum
06-27-2013, 04:35 PM
A Bonsai Rhody - how lovely Katherine! And definitely unique in this PP :D
Lovely work.

Antiqueteacher
06-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Marion, this is lush!! Love the colors and the bg really pushes the flowers forward!! Wonderful work!! Thanks for hosting!! :wave:

Maureen, I just love this beauty!! It is so fresh and sweet!! When you put your mind to painting, you just go to town in a very short time!! Love it!! :clap:

Margaretta, oh, these are so detailed!! Just love the little ‘faces’ in each of the flowers!! Love the red you used in your palette, too! Way to go!! :thumbsup:

Meryl, I am in love with your beauties!! Really, are they that ‘plastic-like’? Here the Azaleas are so fragile. Love your colors, but I always do!! You never disappoint us with your PP!! Hugs, GF!! :heart:

Thanks, Maureen, for your sweet words! I had a ball with the shading!! My problem was when to stop! :rolleyes:

Hugs, Peeps, Katherine :music: :music:

meggs
06-28-2013, 02:35 AM
Teach , Yes, when you see a Vireya, you really want to touch it to see if its real... The Azaleas over here have a much smaller leaf and are very slow growing. Im not particularly fussed on them as they look a scrappy plant when not in flower. Thank you for your comments on mine.. I love the idea of the Bonsai... I must mention it to my nephew, he is into Bonsai.

Margaretta, I really like this composition.

Mum, what a lovely airy little piece this is... Just love the colours.

Marion, Dont attack it, I think its lovely... I felt the same about mine and yes I was stuck at the stamens to to complete.

Mirizar... beautiful piece.. and no not to bright.. I live in a country of colour, looks just right to me.

Chana, these are delightful.. Unusual palette and it works well.

Gail.. you made a marvelous job on those petals, you have captured the delicacy beautifully.

Ulla, it always amazes me the finish you can get with pencils.. I shall leave any C&cs up to others, the style looks good to my eye.

Eric you have a unique style and I love it....

Ill have to catch up with others later... Wonderful Work Everyone !!! :clap::wave:

cerann
06-28-2013, 03:01 AM
Hello everyone, sorry I am late again--hoping to post mine later today.
What a Wonderful:clap: :clap: parade of rhodies...

Viv, it is so beauitiful--great job with the petals and stamens and a lovely nice pink;
Jean, these are all perfect--love the last white one;
Hope, I think you did a good job on both--especially with the paynes gray and white one;
Lea, gorgeous oil painting--love the movement of stamens;
Eric, nicely combined vibrant colors on both;
Ulla, great job with colored pencils and a nice background;
Gail, wonderfull macro, nice job with staments;
Chana, wow!!! both are wonderful watercolors--love your style and colors;
Michelle, just beauitiful--so fresh and bright with a lovely background;
Marion, no need to hate it--it is gorgeous, lovely colors;
Maureen, great work--very delicate and nice colors;
Margarettta, lovely soft painting with nice details on each blossom;
Meggs, glad you chose this golden variety--love the colors and nicely placed composition;
Katherine, what a wonderful idea, it is just gorgeous and so unique--great job.

cerann
06-28-2013, 06:03 AM
Finally finished before the end of the month. Watercolor 19x27 cm.

Thank you Marion for hosting this month's PP.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2013/134548-002_640x455.jpg

Antiqueteacher
06-28-2013, 08:43 AM
Nur, how beautiful!! Wonderful soft pinks and the bg frames them perfectly!! Love the up close view, too! Wow!!

Thanks for the nice words on my painting, Peeps!!

Katherine

Charlie's Mum
06-28-2013, 12:35 PM
Thank you for comments on mine peeps:)

Meryl - sorry I missed yours - what a delightfully fire-y rhodie this is ..... haven't seen any like this before!

Nur - what a beauty! Glorious and delicate pinks!

Vivien Maloney
06-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Meggs - Beautiful painting of a Vireya Rhody.:thumbsup: It looks exactly how they are! We can't grow Vireya's down here (too cold for them) but I've seen them in bloom in the North Island of NZ especially in the Bay of Plenty and around Auckland. They are a lovely variety of Rhododendron.

Katherine - A Bonsai Rhododendron! Wonderful, and an awesome job you've made of your painting of it! I've never seen a Bonsai Rhody, and it's wonderful and in flower as well!

Cerran - Gorgeous watercolor painting...beautifully painted flowers and a lovely dark background to set them off!

Thanks for a Hosting Marion and your great choice of flower for this month's PP.:thumbsup:

Yabut
06-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Thanks Maureen. I'll have a look at your link. I'm always ready to learn about something new :)

Margaretta....Lovely watercolour, viewed from any angle. Dark background really shows off your delicate blooms.

Meggs....Wow. Love your bright colours!

Katherine....That's truly unique, and totally interesting. An artist's mind at work here :)

Nur.... When I think of rhoddies, I picture exactly what you've painted. Beautifully done. Gorgeous colour.

Karen

Antiqueteacher
06-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Thanks, Viv and Karen, for your kind words!! I had a ball painting it!!

Wonderful job, Peeps!! A month to remember!!

Thanks, Marion, good choice!!

Hugs, Katherine

cerann
06-30-2013, 12:47 AM
Thank you so much Katherine, Maureen, Viv and Karen, for your valuable comments:)

justjean
06-30-2013, 01:59 AM
Katherine, a lovely Bonsai

Cerann, your flowers are so soft and lovely

marionh
06-30-2013, 05:05 AM
Michelle I love colour too. This is gorgeous. Good colour combination and your soft background sets off the flowers so nicely:clap:

Maureen Superb. Nice colours in this, that yellow/yellowy green sets it up nicely. Good work on the edges :clap:

Margaretta An unusual take on the subject and it has a nice mystery to it. Well done :clap:

Meggs An unusual colour for a rhoddie. Certainly eye catching.:clap:

KatherineAnother unusual take on the subject. I'd love to see this bonsai in real life. Love how you've captured that trunk, and the bluey grey sets of the pink so well.:clap:

Nur Just lovely. You've mastered the pinks and another good use of that blue/grey background. :clap:

Thanks everyone for participating. We have such a wealth of talent here we should all be proud of ourselves. I shall be back with the gallery - so stay tuned.

Would anyone have any objections if I also posted the gallery on my blog?

justjean
06-30-2013, 10:19 AM
no objections from me Marion :D

meggs
06-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Go for it Marion and thanks for hosting a great Challenge. :wave:

marionh
06-30-2013, 01:46 PM
Hi Peeps, Here it is
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2013/42113-gallery_1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2013/42113-gallery_2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2013/42113-gallery_3.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2013/42113-gallery_4.jpg

Thanks folks for participating. I hope I haven't missed anyone.

Charlie's Mum
06-30-2013, 02:24 PM
Lovely gallery Marion - thanks so much for that and hosting:)

mirizar
06-30-2013, 02:33 PM
WOW! Love the gallery! What talented bunch of artists!!!

Vivien Maloney
06-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Beautiful Gallery Marion! And many thanks for Hosting June's Plant Parade. :clap:

meggs
06-30-2013, 05:50 PM
WOW... what a gallery it is.... as I've said before, combined in a gallery really gives the artwork an extra whammy factor... Great Work Marion :clap:

Tresgatos
06-30-2013, 07:32 PM
:clap: Beautiful paintings everyone - enjoyed looking at each and every one

Antiqueteacher
06-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Marion, wow, a wonderful Gallery this month of June!! Thanks, Marion, for hosting and for the beautiful Gallery!!

Hugs, Katherine

justjean
06-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Beautiful gallery, thanks Marion for all your time and work this month :thumbsup:

Lea51
06-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Marion, what a great job you did on the gallery! And your choice of a challenge was superb, a real challenge! Thanks for hosting.

ullahennig
07-01-2013, 03:36 AM
Marion, what a beautiful Gallery! Thanks for putting it together and for hosting!
Thanks everyone for the kind comments on my rhodo. Due to problems with my lower back I can only sit at the computer for some time, so I didn't comment on everyone's piece. I hope you'll understand. However I feel very honored to have been a part of this month's parade.

Lea51
07-01-2013, 09:04 AM
I did a second one, thought I was squeaking in under the wire, but Marion had already made the gallery...but she says I can post it anyway, so here goes:
Rhododendrons - squared, 6x6" oil on gessobord
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2013/69963-rhododendron_squared.jpg

ArtsyMom
07-01-2013, 11:18 AM
This is beautiful Lea, love it.

Lea51
07-01-2013, 11:33 AM
I had a good reference photo to start from!

Antiqueteacher
07-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Lea, so glad you posted it in the PP!! It is a beauty!!!

Katherine

Lea51
07-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks Katherine, I'm actually happy with this one...which I can't say about all of them!

Vivien Maloney
07-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Beautiful work, Lea!

Charlie's Mum
07-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Wow Lea, that's another beauty! Superb light!

cerann
07-02-2013, 12:45 AM
Lea, another beauty!!:clap:

Marion, Wonderful Gallery!! Thanks for hosting this month:clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

marionh
07-02-2013, 04:42 AM
Lea, nice edges on your second painting. The focal area pops forward nicely. Lea's painting is incorporated into the gallery
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2013/42113-gallery_1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2013/42113-gallery_2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2013/42113-gallery_3.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2013/42113-gallery_4.jpg

Lea51
07-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Thanks, Marion!

marionh
07-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Your welcome Lea.

The gallery is now posted on my art of flowers blog,

everythingsheneeds