PDA

View Full Version : More Skunk Cabbages

Eliz
06-24-2001, 04:17 PM
These are a couple of field sketches I painted on a recent hiking trip. I found these plants facinating.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2001/Eliz_SJWatercolor02_Round_Valley_SkunkCabbage.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2001/Eliz_SJWAtercolor11_ReedsMeadow_SkunkCabbage.JPG

sun_merman
06-24-2001, 06:12 PM
:clap: ooohhh!! I especially like the second one.

something about the blue and the thin red that really does it.

Nice job.

Studio224
06-25-2001, 06:42 AM
Oh yes, I agree with sun-merman, the second one.

I have read your previous thread about the Skunk cabbage, Don't be afraid of bright colors! Watercolors can be bright and look very, very good. This strange plant looks a very good subject for bright colors. This shapes in s are a god send to paint!

Anne-Claire

Eliz
06-26-2001, 12:18 AM
Yeah, I prefer the second also. These plants are just plain weird, with wonderful twisty leaves.

These are from a backpacking/painting trip last month. The first one was at the start of the trip. I was concentrating on realistic color, and trying to capture the effect of sunlight backlighting the leaves. Unfortunately, by the time I was ready to paint the shadows, the sun had gone behind a cloud. :(

By the last day of the trip I was sick and tired of brown and gray and dull green. I almost gave up on painting for the day. Then I had a revelation: this isn't photography! It doesn't have to earth tone unless I want it earth tone!

I thought of the most vibrant color scheme I'd ever seen, and remembered a double complementary tetrad from "Exploring Color". I chose thallo blue verses red orange (winsor red with a little azo yellow) and permanent magenta verses yellow green (azo yellow with a little thallo green).

The other skunk cabbage post was a studio painting where I tried to combine colorfulness with backlit sunlight. (Painting from a photo really helped with this. The shadows didn't move!)

faymcivor
06-28-2001, 06:01 AM
Just love the 2nd one Liz just awesome colors:clap: :clap: :clap: Fay

ameliajordan
06-28-2001, 07:59 AM
Wonderful example of how we shouldn't get hung up on local color but use the colors the painting needs. The 1st painting is fine but the 2nd is WOW

I got to take Nita's Exploring Color Workshop and it really helped to try all those combinations of colors.