PDA

View Full Version : Re: I'm new

Bluesman
06-01-2013, 06:05 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2013/31507-watercolors_copy_2_edited-3.jpg

I was hoping for some feedback on these.
Thanks,
John

Antiqueteacher
06-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Welcome to the Watercolor Forum, John. I noticed that you have been very active in the Digi area of WetCanvas and nice to see you branching out. I have moved you thread from the Watercolor Gallery (for finished paintings) to the Watercolor Studio so that you can ask your questions and wonderfully talented artists will help guide you!

Nice movement of the Watercolors in water on your paper.

Katherine

painterbear
06-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Hi John,
Welcome to the Watercolor Forum.

You are doing what more people learning about watercolor should do. You are playing with your paints and seeing how they move and blend with water as an ingrediant. :thumbsup:

If you are new to our medium, check out our Learning Demos, Handbook, and Monthly Classes for interesting threads about all kinds of things dealing with watercolors. :D

Sylvia

Sylvia

M.L. Schaefer
06-02-2013, 01:54 AM
Hey, John! Welcome!

Knowing what your colors will do is one of the most important (and fun things) in painting!

When I first started, the following website was very helpful because it puts basic techniques in one place, easy to find and easy to practice! It gets one very ready for all the new things you will find on Wet Canvas! http://watercolorpaintingandprojects.com/

I did notice one thing about your second practice. I saw that you were mixing some very nice colors together, but possibly mixing them too liquid. When that happens, one can get little rings around your work (I know them well...we've met many times!). I call them ring around the color. You may try using more pigment, less water. I've heard it described as making one's paints more like a cream consistency. :)

:heart: Margarete

pjartwc
06-02-2013, 04:41 AM
Hi John, Welcome to Wet Canvas Watercolor. Your first practice sheet shows an advance beginner. Your second one shows that you really know how watercolor should work. Having one color blend and bleed into another is an essential part of a good watercolor. You've got it! :)

Bluesman
06-08-2013, 08:44 AM
I'm using cold pressed paper and realizing the paint doesn't absorb so I'm switches to Arches in the future..not sure I can get the control I need on Cold pressed paper. I'm returning to watercolors after many years of not paintins so I'm rekindling an old passion of mine.
John