PDA

View Full Version : Hunter T7

NeilF92
05-31-2013, 03:08 PM
This is an ongoing WIP - Acrylic on canvas 24" x 18". The landscape is proving to be quite complex and needs a lot of detailing to make it credible. Getting there slowly but surely . Just a case of working over all the areas adding detail , pushing and pulling tones back and fore .
The wing tanks unfortunately required major surgery and you see them now as they should be. This in turn has screwed up the landscape around them which needs restoring .
Typical male , I imagined the jugs were much larger when I eyeballed a couple in. :) A perspective point was drawn to my attention on FB with the result that I went back to Blender 3D and added a pair of drop tanks to my model there . Comparison quickly showed how wrong my imagination had been!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2013/95311-Huntpost1.jpg

Gray539
06-01-2013, 12:23 PM
That is a complex background you've chosen, Neil. 3D is such a great aid for painting, I'm always surprised more painters don't use it.
Looks to be a fine painting when completed, Neil.

NeilF92
06-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Thanks Gray - I kind of underestimated just how much work I would have to put in to make this landscape work. I have a flipped image of the a/c on another canvas as a WIP as well but the background to it should be easier to manage - I hope (he says!).

falcon012
06-02-2013, 12:08 AM
You are making good progress Neil. Complex backgrounds are always the most challenging part of a painting for me. It is especially tough in real life media. It is not so bad since I went digital. I am able to make a ton more mistakes while I fiddle to get it right.

NeilF92
06-02-2013, 05:37 AM
Thanks Mark - fortunately acrylics are also pretty forgiving in that you can fairly quickly blank away and remodel mistakes .

Shamrock15
06-03-2013, 07:35 AM
Looks pretty good Neil. For me, the only part about the landscape that needs work is that immediate foreground. Is there some sort of shrub that you can put on it to really establish its place? It will need some level of detail to separate it from everything else in the background and make it read properly. The tones and level of detail on the rest work, IMHO.

Mark A Bufton
06-11-2013, 06:17 AM
Looking good so far. If the "test version" is anything to go by, this is going to turn out great :-)

paletteone
06-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Nice work Neil! I don't think there is anything that I can add that hasn't already been said. Maybe a couple of "wisps" behind the wing tips to indicate more movement? Overall, very nicely done!

NeilF92
06-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Time for a quick update - Happy to say that most of the points raised were in the pipeline anyway so hopefully this has gone in the right direction .
Still lots to add and fix but for me it's on course. The R/W/B chevron on the tail is clumsy and needs fixing . The roundels may need a tweak here and there as well - thinking about it!
D'Arcy - I couldn't add too much detail because that right hand lower corner is a few hundred feet below and out in front of the viewer. But i have strengthened it quite a bit .
Norbert - agreed - the vortices were on their way - Not happy with them as yet .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2013/95311-AHunt116.jpg

Shamrock15
06-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Pretty noticeable improvements so far. Looks good!

Gray539
06-11-2013, 08:46 PM
Looking good, Neil. Roundels on wings always drive me to despair.

NeilF92
06-12-2013, 05:23 AM
Thanks guys.

NeilF92
06-13-2013, 06:02 PM
Bit more done - detail added to the landscape plus a hint of vapour off the wings and a faint exhaust trail for a bit of "go faster " effect. Coming to life now.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2013/95311-hunt136.jpg

Gray539
06-14-2013, 01:32 PM
The backgrounds really coming to life now, Neil.

vegaskip
06-15-2013, 05:05 AM
Hi Neil, I agree with Gray re the background, love the wing vortices , but not sure about the exhaust, very difficult to get the wobbly effect of the hot gasses.
Lovely glossy paint job.
Thanks for sharing
Jim

NeilF92
06-15-2013, 05:51 AM
Thanks Jim - yes , the exhaust is still wip - at the moment it's too much just dots of blue /grey - I know what I need to do to make it credible - it means refiningg those dots into tiny dark/light half moon shapes with a slivery touch on the top plus the kind of wavy shimmer through the length of it you refer to - just need the will to commit to it!