GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Expresso in Spain
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Board
Dimension: 6
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Here is a painting I really wanted to do of our Expressos we ordered after dinner, in Spain. I included the ref shot as I had to adjust the tungsten lighting effects. I hate flash. I also wanted the main glass focal and keep the other tones around more subdued and closer in range. I am very happy with this.
Sorry, white on top glass should not be there, it was due to the cropping of the image.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Have not had critiques since college so figured I'd throw one up to the dogs! lol
How do you feel about it, what works, what doesn't, what would you change if it were yours? Anything you feel you want to point out is good. I may or may not change it accordingly.
Thanks!

boxen
09-12-2003, 12:18 PM
I think your painting is much more lovely to look at then the photo and that is a main thing in my opinion - to get reality on canvas but making the reality better...

Luzie
09-12-2003, 12:36 PM
Now that's art, when your painting looks alive more than the photo. I love the composition and especially the blues (is that cobalt?! I have a blue addiction lately...:D

dornberg
09-12-2003, 12:58 PM
i like the hightened
color
value

jocelynsart
09-12-2003, 12:58 PM
Hi Everyone: OK, thanks. Yes, I love from photos as I see so many things that I could never paint them all on sight. I don't need a great reference, just the meat and potatoes and a few mental notes, past experience and constant observation.
I don't know what may not work in other people's views so I wanted to put this up to see other's opinons. I personally am happy with it. The table was challenging and trying not to direct the eye out of the focus too was challenging.
I used alot of cobalt here yes. I liek cobalt. Blues are the most versatile colours for me, I use them alot, in mixing, toning down and as electrifying elements. I need to ad thalo and cerulean to my palette as well, for future use in skies etc.
Joss

allanom
09-12-2003, 01:29 PM
Whew!! Jocelyn... Very nice to see something of yours. You have no reason to be concerned about reactions. Yours is a very masterly and unique take on "reality". As mentioned in another response, I love the colour translation you made from the reference -- took the image somewhere else, much more dynamic. Like very much that you stayed with all elements that were in the original picture. Shows your intuitive eye for design. Precision of detail is magnificent. Sorry, but I have nothing negative to say at all :O))

jocelynsart
09-12-2003, 01:35 PM
Hi Allanom: Sorry, I was mispelling your name before! man! lol
Thanks very much. It is actually helpful to see that the decisions I made were picked up on by others. The thing with me is, I am probably a designer and photographer by heart but painting came first. I spot a composition or thrilling image and I know right away what I want to add, leave out or change.
I was going to take out that little piece of the other napkin on the right but I sensed it was needed to stop that open space.
Thanks very much. I am very honoured. I always feel I can learn fropm others and I never feel I am near the painter I should be. I uess no one ever does. We are all open to imroving and learning.
Joss

jackart
09-12-2003, 01:41 PM
hi,
this is fantastic. You have taken a source photo and made it come to life. It is so 3 dimensional, and your colors are wonderful. I love this painting! Cannot think of any reason to change a thing!

artbabe21
09-12-2003, 02:09 PM
beautifully rendered & amazing color...somehow I always think of landscape when traveling not something this intimate & memorable...:)

jocelynsart
09-12-2003, 02:37 PM
Thanks again, everyone for taking the time to put down your comments.
I know what you mean Cath, I was dissappointed to not be able to stop the car and photograph more things along the highway. It is a big No No in Europe my husband said. Such a shame. I read my book while in the car at times just so I would not get too frustrated! lol
These little things tend to be more easy to recall feelings and the experience of being There for me more than the landscape that was around me.
Joss

artbabe21
09-12-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by jocelynsart
These little things tend to be more easy to recall feelings and the experience of being There for me more than the landscape that was around me.

good point, I will try to remember this when we go to Paris in a few weeks...:)

pero lane
09-12-2003, 02:49 PM
:clap: wouldn't change a thing!!

pampe
09-12-2003, 03:35 PM
very nicely rendered, Joss

(I loved those cups too)

jocelynsart
09-12-2003, 04:39 PM
OMG! Where is my brain? lol
That should be Espresso as a kind WC Member pointed out!
Thanks Pam

coulter
09-12-2003, 05:09 PM
This as they say....Rocks!! Joss, the glass, the wrappers are wonderful, I love the composition, but.......
the blue on the saucer and spoon are sublime!

If you want a criticism, the napkin is a slight bother, of course now I don't have any suggestions on what to do about LOL!!
Personally I'm able to ignore it so.... there ya go :D

Mark

jocelynsart
09-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Thanks Mark! Sublime, ok, I have to look up the meaning. And I was an A student! lol
Yes, I agree that the napkin is the least desireable part of the composition. I think it is needed but could also be removed and the comp. reworked for that space that would be there. I felt it leads Up and the cups and saucers lead Down again.

Ginette
09-12-2003, 05:53 PM
I was looking for something to nit pick about...

I give up!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ginette

giniaad
09-12-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Ginette
I was looking for something to nit pick about...

I give up!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ginette

ditto all o'dat
love it!

designditz
09-12-2003, 08:50 PM
I cannot find anything to nit..you have outdone the photo.. given it life and color... and its fun and enjoyable...makes me want one.. in that world:)

Andrew Rance
09-12-2003, 08:58 PM
I wouln't change anything - its perfect! I love the way you have adjusted the colour temperature (without any help from Photoshop??)

jocelynsart
09-12-2003, 09:22 PM
No, I don't have Photoshop. We had Corel but it is gone. It was way too complicated to get into, just no time.
I can do some stuff with pictures like lightening, reducing contrast, resizing, cropping, stuff like that. I can alter tint a bit too. The ref you see is the best I could get from my original photo. The original was even rangier and monochrome than the ref I showed here. The printed version I worked from just was not as rich as the one seen here on the screen. The paint itself actually lent itself to the fact that there is darker darks, richer colours, more contrast, etc. I guess it reflects more light back than the printed one.
My program where I upload the photos from my camera is Picture It. It came with our printer we had 5 yrs back. You can also do some basic painting and "airbrushing to retouch images but nothing extensive like with Photoshop. It is good enough for me.
This photo was so yellow there was not alot I could do to make it more normal lighting. I adjusted the colour a bit but it basically would just go to a different all over tint. I printed the ref image lighter than the image looks on the screen. There was no contrast or detail in the cup however. Everything was pretty non contrasty as you see in the photo. Just not as deep in that yellow colour. Because it was available lighting, the colour was too yellow orange. I took a flash photo too but it was terrible.
Photoshop I would love to have but I think that it would end up taking alot of time as I would then want to fool with it alot. Plus, it is expensive I believe.
I printed this out on plain paper as I was out of photo paper. It seems to be ok but some detail gets lost.
Joss

Wayne Gaudon
09-12-2003, 09:32 PM
that's an easy question .. if it were mine I'd remove your signature and date and put mine there and then I'd put a NFS on it .. Very well done. I wouldn't even dream of having the patience to do all that detailed rendering .. :D

jocelynsart
09-12-2003, 09:40 PM
Hi Wayne; I know, I do really like this piece and thought about showing it but it is too small. It really does not take as long as it looks to. I work fast naturally.
I don't have any more wall space! lol

ginatec
09-13-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by jocelynsart
OMG! Where is my brain? lol
That should be Espresso as a kind WC Member pointed out!
Thanks Pam

Well...maybe it's the Spanish spelling 'Expreso'!:D

Wonderful work! It's perfectly rendered and I love the way you used the blue highlights in the saucer.

Gina

Rieko
09-13-2003, 03:40 PM
Awesome work! Beautiful blue on the saucer and the spoon. And I admire your great patience to render everything so perfectly, or I'd better say it's better than the photo.

YLCIA
09-13-2003, 03:48 PM
Beautiful work ! ...and my favorite drink (exept for a wine:evil: ) as a subject.I find Spanish espresso the best tasting :D

Julia

katelynalain
09-13-2003, 04:02 PM
hi, i agree with everyone else that this is great realism and has a lot of life. the one thing that i would change if it were mine is the way that the brushstrokes on the bottom left follow the line of the plate around in a circle (below the shadow area). i think if there was more variation in this or it was less obvious -then it would look even more natural and real. just a thought. its lovely though..i agree with all of the compliments you have received already. much talent.

jocelynsart
09-13-2003, 04:42 PM
Hi: Thanks all for commenting. I appreciate the time taken by everyone.
Kait, thanks, yes, I too agree with you. I doubted that area too.
I guess I don't really think of having patience to paint the way I do. I just paint that way and I really enjoy it. It is actually pretty loose. Not alot of painstaking tiny brushstrokes do I use. I use 1 size brush most often. This I think it was a 6 and an 8 for the table. I always tend to use 1 brush. Somethign stuck in my head when an instructor said one good brush is all that is usually needed. It comes to an ok point and it is fat at the bottom, that is the best kind for me.
lol wine! Only drink I tend to like.
Joss