PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Flower

frenly
05-30-2013, 02:12 PM
paper: Fabriano Artistico W/C Paper 640 gsm HP
colour: Holbein artists' water colors
size: ~ A3
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2013/1124972-20130530_223431-res.jpg

reikiart
05-30-2013, 02:52 PM
It's looking so gorgeous - can't wait to see the finished painting!

catjoe
05-30-2013, 07:27 PM
Very pretty!

ams
05-31-2013, 04:44 AM
Ooooh, beautiful! I love the dewdrops and the texture on the petals. Wonderful work, I'm so glad you joined wetcanvas and posted this lovely flower.

I look forward watching it develop further.

Anne

pjartwc
05-31-2013, 04:46 AM
What a great start of a beautiful red rose! :) Good job!

frenly
05-31-2013, 10:53 AM
Thanks for your appreciative words everyone. Here is an update on the progress. Did I ruin the art with the background?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2013/1124972-20130531_221559-res.jpg

I have to ask the experts an amateur question. Is it normal for the white to turn blueish grey when it dries? This is when I try to put highlights on top of other colours.

ams
05-31-2013, 05:18 PM
I have found the white isn't a bright white when you put it on top of other colors. I have the best luck with titanian white rather than guache but only for tiny highlights, not a large area. I use it for the sparkle of animal eyes and highlights on droplets like you have in your painting.

Anne

ChefCharlotte
06-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Really beautiful. I can almost smell it! So round and plump, with a soft petal. Fantastic.

Undergoose
06-02-2013, 12:16 AM
Outstanding rosebud!

Much like a yellow bird I did a while ago, I think the background is a little too heavy and takes away from the shocking beauty of the flower.

I agree with Anne, titanium white seems to do better for me than gouache in a painting/shading capacity, although I use both sometimes. Gouache is nice for high-popping highlights where needed. I use Chinese white for more subtle mixing purposes, too.

frenly
06-02-2013, 03:47 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Anne. Thanks ChefCharlotte, Karl for you appreciation.

painterbear
06-02-2013, 05:44 AM
Hi frenly,
Your rosebud with dewdrops is beautifully done.

IMHO, your background texture competes for attention with the subject rose bud. Perhaps spritz it with water and move the paint around with a brush to blend it a bit more.

I think you should consider leaving white areas unpainted in the future rather than try to add white at the end. You can do that with frisket or carefully painting around them.

If you do like to use white, try Luma White by Daler Rowney...it is an opaque watercolor and works very nicely with other watercolors. :D

Sylvia

LynnM
06-02-2013, 12:35 PM
This is beautiful! I rather like the background, perhaps just blur some of the hard edges in the background, but I like your values, well done! Welcome back, I was also out of painting for along time :)

Ali_C
06-02-2013, 10:39 PM
The texture on the petals is beautiful. I agee that the background competes a bit too much with the flower. Perhaps soften the background and maybe adjust the values to make the bud stand out. The bud and the background also appear to have a similar color intensity. Perhaps muting the background colors would help.

frenly
06-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Thanks Sylvia, Lynn and Ali for your suggestions/appreciation.

I try to use the white of the paper most of the time but when I need to soften some colour, mixing with white or using a thin layer of white, the problem with my 'Chinese White' starts to show. I will keep your suggestions in mind next time.

Bluesman
06-04-2013, 04:25 PM
I think a darker back ground would set the rose off more, as it is the dark area emphasizes the stem by contrast. I love it anyway but that's my take on it.
John

webLes
06-06-2013, 05:49 PM
:clap: :clap:

With watercolour if you want a white in an area of your painting you should leave that area unpainted or after the painting has dried, mask a little area out that you want white then wet the area again and either lift it out with a brush or with a paper towel this will leave a highlight back to the white of the paper. Too much just green on the paper leaves it kinda boring you need other colours to offset this . Im not a fan of gouache or or acrylic to make a highlight .Just my take on it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CharM
06-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Hi Frenly... your rose is absolutely beautiful. Your choice of background colour works because red and green are complements. And the light in the upper left is really pretty.

The problem, for me, is that the background competes for attention with your rose. This is where we need to talk about intent. What did you intend to say in this painting? Was your focus intended to be the rose? Because I suspect so, I took the liberty of manipulating your image. I hope you're not offended.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2013/20514-rose.jpg

I softened the hard edges in the background and then altered the hue a little with more blue.

I sometimes will use a little gouache for highlights, but not often. As a heavy body watercolour, it's an obvious use of white. The other whites tend to be less opaque and don't cover well, either. Avoidance (or masking) is your best friend!

The soft edges now make the rose your star of the show. And a light blue wash sends your greens further back.

ErnstG
06-07-2013, 12:36 PM
@=frenly Did I ruin the art with the background?

Nein, Sie haben mit dem Hintergrund nichts ruiniert!
Er passt in dieser Struktur prima dazu.
Nur sollte er sich vom Blütenstängel etwas abheben.
Es ist das gleiche Grün und etwas "giftig".
Hintergrund dunkler und wärmer, Stängel kühler.
Der Beitrag hat sich mit CharM überschnitten.

No, you have not ruined with the background!
It fits into this great structure to it.
Only he should stand out from the flower stem something.
It's the same green and slightly "toxic".
Background darker and warmer, cooler stems.
The post has overlapped with CharM.

Ernst

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2013/233001-Roterose.jpg