PDA

View Full Version : "Mission Impossible" (W.I.P.)

Devoted 2Art
05-30-2013, 03:04 AM
:wave: Hi everyone! Been awhile since my last post here. I've been playing around with some oil paints & they can be quite addictive:D.

Here's my newest challenge. It started with an idea some time ago & I finally assembled the pieces & got it sketched out Sunday. Not sure the perspective is quite right & I'm having a bit of difficulty with the light source but it does seem to be going well so far:crossfingers:.

The references include 8 photos from a variety of sources. # 1, 2 & 3 are from WC Reference Library. # 4, 5 & 6 were found online. # 8 is from PMP & the missing pic is from a friend who has give permission to paint the photo but not to share the actual pic. The composition I thought almost impossible to create seems to be working OK.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2013/1003102-Mission_Impossible_References_Edited_copy.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2013/1003102-Mission_Impossible_Step_02.jpg
"Seasons In The Sun" / Watercolor + Gouache / 19" x 13" / Stonehenge Paper

Mostly Holbein Irodori Antique Watercolor + some Linel Gouache, Turner Design Gouache, American Journey Watercolor

About 8 hours into it so far & some way to go with it. I think I'm going to add a sky & hopefully I can pull it off with messing up. (Should have thought of that first:rolleyes:.)

All comments & suggestions welcome! Thanks for looking.
-John

pjartwc
05-30-2013, 04:46 AM
Hi John, Oh, this is my kind of painting. The way you chose from the references to your finished composition. The girl is so well done and she is the star of this painting. :) The rest is just icing.

catjoe
05-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Love this...enjoyed seeing the way you pulled so many references into a terrific composition.

Devoted 2Art
05-31-2013, 11:43 PM
Thank you so much for your comments Jan & Kathy. They are very encouraging. It might take awhile for an update as I've been working diligently on some new blending techniques for the sky & hills. Learning through experimenting is so much fun and sometimes even worthwhile:D !
-John

LynnM
06-01-2013, 08:23 AM
Fascinating, John! You are coming along really well. I am working on a beach composite too, but much less complicated, gives me encouragement to keep going!

Strawberry Wine
06-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Hi John,

Thanks for showing the reference images. Love the way you have combined the different images and elements for your composition.

Good choice on placement of the man with the young child and I like the way you have softend them somewhat.

I was thinking that the girl's green hat was a little large, checked the reference, and think it is perhaps because you have not placed in any shadows yet.

Your skin tones are wonderful on all your figures and the eyes on the COI girl are perfect. What I find distracting are the hard lines outlining her various body sections, especially around the chin and going up her cheek. For me, it causes her to look pasted into the painting. Softening or eliminating these lines would bring this painting up another level. This, of course, IMHO. Regardless, I am looking forward to seeing the progress of this painting with the sky and all the shadows in place.

Cheers,

Gail

Devoted 2Art
06-14-2013, 01:58 AM
Hi Lynn & Gail :wave: - Sorry my reply is so late but I wanted to wait until I had an update before responding. I do appreciate your comments very much. Thank you both for your encouragement & suggestions. I agree the hat does seem too large & it just seemed to get bigger after adding a bit more shadow. I'll hold off on more attempts. I'm also trying to soften the lines but it doesn't seem to be working too well. I'll keep trying as I move along. I'm going to be sure to keep my lighten my outlines in the future.

After 2 weeks of countless experiments with over 20 brands of gouache I finally decided on a palette & and resumed work on this tonight. I've been jumping around a lot trying not to focus too long on any one area. Anyway- here's where I'm at now. Still a lot to do but it's getting close.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2013/1003102-Mission_Impossible_Step_03_Post.jpg

Should have some time to continue this weekend.
C & C welcome & appreciated. Thanks for looking.
-John

olliewood0702
06-14-2013, 09:45 AM
LOOKING GOOD, John! I love your style on painting skin, it's so smooth and lovely. I think you took great elements from each painting to put together this one.