PDA

View Full Version : ** Daily Wash Thursday 30th May 2013**

shipbroker
05-30-2013, 01:19 AM
Good Morning.

Sky looks clearer after a night of rain. However forecast for the Western side including Cumbria is good so the 'Transatlantics' should see plenty. Hope we meet up

Am supposed to be playing golf first thing but this is also in doubt.

geoff

Yorky
05-30-2013, 01:30 AM
Good morning Geoff and all to follow.

Overcast and bright, dry so far :crossfingers:

Hope it stays that way for our trip to the Lakes.

Great to have the mini meet last evening. Winnie is amazing at 92.

Darla was feeling a little queasy, hope she is better this morning.

Doug

laudesan
05-30-2013, 02:01 AM
Hey guys.

Esmeralda is home and dingle free. Yay!!

Loved the photos in yesterdays wash, you are look so wonderful. I love these mini meets where I get see see photos of people I have actually met, and people I hope to meet soon.

Well I have joined the neti pot crowd. Oh why didn't I do that sooner. What a relief.. Still coughing and hacking though.

:grouphug: too all who need them :grouphug: I am blasting healing vibes and prayers over the pond.. My heart goes out to you..

shipbroker
05-30-2013, 02:31 AM
...well the golf is off....let's see if the rest of the day gets better.

geoff

Yorky
05-30-2013, 02:35 AM
Hmm damp underfoot here :crossfingers:

Doug

doppler
05-30-2013, 03:07 AM
Good evening all.

What have you done to Esmeralda JJ? Who is Esmeralda?:lol:

Wet underfoot and above here too. Thick mist and rainshowers.

Soooo happy to see Darla and Larry arrived safe and well, Doug.:thumbsup: Lovely photo.:heart: :crossfingers: for the English sun to shine.

BBL ... simple pasta meal coming up.

StewGold
05-30-2013, 03:22 AM
Grey and dry in Scotland, but def. midgies in the air.

Oh dear JJ I mis-read that as Nettle Pot. I had an image of a nettle lined chamber pot that really didn't sound fun. Mind you a stung bum probably takes your mind off your sinus a treat. Growing up I had terrible sinus problems, often being hospitalised for "sinusal washing" . No idea what they did as it was always under a general anaesthetic. Somewhere along the line a doctor recommended taking up a brass instrument. Have no idea if it helped, or I just grew out of the problem. But if you fancy a trumpet, go for it.

Hope everyone enjoys the Lakes, I wonder if the trip includes a moment to peruse the posh chocolates in Kendal?

http://www.chocolatehouse1657.co.uk/

Mmm , lime and chilli truffles; possibly not for breakfast though; unless you're on holiday of course :lol:

laudesan
05-30-2013, 04:06 AM
What have you done to Esmeralda JJ? Who is Esmeralda?:lol: Esmerelda is my car. I only drove her 4 times or so, when someone ran into the back of her in the shopping centre car park. They were kind enough to leave a message and all their details, and they paid for all the repairs.

Oh dear JJ I mis-read that as Nettle Pot. I had an image of a nettle lined chamber pot that really didn't sound fun. Mind you a stung bum probably takes your mind off your sinus a treat.
:eek: :lol:

doppler
05-30-2013, 04:27 AM
Stew, there I was once in the fabled land of safety. The green and pleasant land. No real spiders and no real snakes. Running through the woods that were laced with stinging nettles. Taught me a bit.:lol:

USA .. Long steep walk down our hosts hill. Two big dogs came up and sniffed my hands repeatedly .. must have been really foreign to them, I hoped. Uncomfortable, I kept walking without changing my pace and dealing with the exploratory licks on the hands whilst waiting for the baying pack. They dropped off thank goodness as I puffily retraced my steps.I did see some trilliums BTW and they were fascinating. The dogwoods were blooming too.

JJ nettle pots do my head in. Might be therapeutic but the images don't leave me.

I'd rather sniff a good red ...

Doris345
05-30-2013, 04:34 AM
Hello washers

Hi Doug - glad the 'meet' went well. More photos, please.
Hi Annie, Geoff,
Stew - cruel thing to do to us 'foreigners'
Hi JJ - Glad Esmerelda is back. Hope that is the last as well as the first 'dingle' she gets for a long, long time.

Acupuncture session went very well. I am feeling quite good, and was actually able to raise my arm freely enough to hail a cab afterward - something the shoulder arthritis has prevented for a while. She (the doctor) was really very good natured about my long, long list of ailments - but I know that one short visit will not be a magic cure, either.

The Bike Share program here in NY seems to have taken off really well in its first week. I am waiting for my free bike helmet (I have an appointment for a fitting on Tuesday) before I go pedaling off.

Dentist today. Ughh.

BBL

laudesan
05-30-2013, 04:47 AM
JJ nettle pots do my head in. Might be therapeutic but the images don't leave me....Well - I made the mistake of telling Tania to google them.. Oooops. She is sick again, and, she suffers chronic sinusitis. They would work for her. It isn't bad at all. not in the slightest bit gruesome, I told her, and she yes "Yep. No way" oh dear. Oh and red wine, I love a good dry red wine, but not when sinus' are raging, the red wine only inflames them more. Lucky for me, this is the first time in a very long time I have been sick. :lol:

Doris - Yay for accupuncture. I have always found it helpful myself. Good luck with the bike riding. Yes I too this is Esmerelda's only claim to fame..:lol:

shipbroker
05-30-2013, 05:00 AM
I wondered who Esmeralda was as well! Never named any car apart from my first pre-war Austin...called it 'Forsita; as it was a Four seater......

Dry and much brighter here now.

geoff

doppler
05-30-2013, 05:33 AM
:lol:

Roun2it
05-30-2013, 05:47 AM
Mornin' each .............. :wave:

We had a nice time last night meeting with Darla and Larry, and the other Northern reprobates. Winnie was on good form and hugged everything and everyone in sight ............ sight talking sight did you know she wears glasses with no lenses and now sports auburn hair ........... vanity at the age of 92 ......... there's hope for us all yet ........... Luv ya Winnie ....... :heart: Hey and she didn't thump me last night.

Sorry no photos from me ......... I forgot my camera :( . But one thing I did take that was unexpected was Grandson Sam, I had been looking after him all day as his mother and Izzy had gone to a wedding and he didn't want to go. I was supposed to take him home and drop him off with his dad but he had gone out ........ :eek: so we had to take Sam with us .......... he was very good though but he was the only thing that Winnie couldn't hug well he is a 7 year old and was quite shy ...........:wink2:

Sam spent most of the night with his mouth wide open mesmerised by Pat, who was well into Pat mode and no one could find the switch ......... :lol: No wonder Darla didn't feel well she was hit by the thunderous hurricane named Pat :D :thumbsup: enough to send anyone's head spinning ......... :smug:

We couldn't go back to Doug's house for coffee as Sam was quite tired by then so missed some more time with Darla and Larry, but I think they were shattered too by then. Hope they get a bright day in the Lakes it's a wonderful place to visit but I remember taking Lulu and John a few years ago and it poured all the time we were there ......

OK gotta go see ya all later ......... :wave:

Lulu
05-30-2013, 06:33 AM
Mornin' each .............. :wave:

We had a nice time last night meeting with Darla and Larry, and the other Northern reprobates. Winnie was on good form and hugged everything and everyone in sight ............ sight talking sight did you know she wears glasses with no lenses and now sports auburn hair ........... vanity at the age of 92 ......... there's hope for us all yet ........... Luv ya Winnie ....... :heart: Hey and she didn't thump me last night.

Sorry no photos from me ......... I forgot my camera :( . But one thing I did take that was unexpected was Grandson Sam, I had been looking after him all day as his mother and Izzy had gone to a wedding and he didn't want to go. I was supposed to take him home and drop him off with his dad but he had gone out ........ :eek: so we had to take Sam with us .......... he was very good though but he was the only thing that Winnie couldn't hug well he is a 7 year old and was quite shy ...........:wink2:

Sam spent most of the night with his mouth wide open mesmerised by Pat, who was well into Pat mode and no one could find the switch ......... :lol: No wonder Darla didn't feel well she was hit by the thunderous hurricane named Pat :D :thumbsup: enough to send anyone's head spinning ......... :smug:

We couldn't go back to Doug's house for coffee as Sam was quite tired by then so missed some more time with Darla and Larry, but I think they were shattered too by then. Hope they get a bright day in the Lakes it's a wonderful place to visit but I remember taking Lulu and John a few years ago and it poured all the time we were there ......

OK gotta go see ya all later ......... :wave:

I've just read all that with your accent in my head..........and I'm splitting my sides :lol: :lol: :lol:
btw the Lake District is beautiful, rain or shine.

ReggieS
05-30-2013, 07:02 AM
Morning all!:wave: I have been trying to keep up reading the Wash but have missed the last 3 days. I have been so tired at night when I get hime that I eat dinner and fall asleep!The job is going great, I really like it and they are very happy with having me!

The weather is going to be hot here in VT today in the 80's. 5 days ago it was only in the 30s at night anf in the 40's during the day. CRAZY Spring this has been!

Gotta run and take a shower and get dressed for work. I miss you all!

Darla- hope you are feeling better and having a great time meeting the other WC'ers!

Hugs to those under the weather!!

Reggie

CharM
05-30-2013, 07:11 AM
Good morning! It's already 23C and promises to get much warmer... we're expected to suffer through 33C heat today with a humidex of over 40...

My big spirea is about ready to bloom with the waxy yellow flowers of the tulip tree just above it... SO pretty.

The Kitty herd has been fed and are outside doing their necessaries... they'll be clambering to come back inside because thunder clouds are rolling. It'll be raining shortly.

I have no formal plans for the day, but somehow I think it will change. If it rains, I'm sure that Ted's going to want to make a quick trip to Windsor to Costco.

I'm sorry your golf game was out, Geoff.

Doug and Geoff... I hope you get to *do* the Lakes with ((Darla)) and Larry! And last night's get together sounds like it was so much fun. I hope that someone thought to snap some photos!

Glad you got your car back, JJ... The nettie pot gets a workout here, too... We had a great big car, an Oldsmobile, that we called The Beast. A family of 4 could have lived in the trunk alone. :)

Annie, I got a chuckle about the stinging nettles. Did you know that the UK town of Dorset hosts an annual nettle eating contest? It attracts people from all over the world!

Those chocolates look yummy, Stew!

How wonderful that you got some relief due to your acupuncture, Doris... I love the notion of the free Bike Share.

Kev, I did the same as Lulu! I can't believe that Sam is 7 years old! Where has the time gone????? And you know that our Pat will be our Pat... :p

Reggie, it's so good to read that you're enjoying your new job... too bad you're so tired, though!

The coffee has brewed and I definitely need a cup... I hope that everyone has the best possible day... :grouphug:

Doris345
05-30-2013, 07:15 AM
Just a quickie note for Char -

The Bike Share program is not free, but the City is giving out free bike helmets to encourage wearing them.

The program is already soaring in less than a week, and next week people can buy daily or weekly passes (in addiiton to the annual members who started riding on Monday).

Doris

Uschi
05-30-2013, 07:50 AM
Good Morning!!

I think we had another storm in the night, things are wet, I must have slept through it.

The sun is shining brightly now and as Char said, it is going to be hot and VERY humid.

My plans for today - gardening in the morning and scrabble and eating cake in the afternoon.

Of course all went well and wonderfully at the mini Meet, how could it not with all of these fun people. I hope the weather stays nice for the trip to the lake district.

Kev, stay clear of Pat because she'll smack you:lol:

Reggie, glad you dropped in and really:thumbsup: :thumbsup: that you like your job!!!!

JJ, great that you have your car back!!!!!!!!

Stinging Nettles, Mother Nature's free food during wartime. Tastes a lot like spinach when cooked. Uncooked they hurt like hell.

Doris, how safe is it riding a bike in New York City?????

Geoff, enjoy meeting up with the foreigners!!

Kay, if this is your Birthday - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

:wave: to all here and all yet to come!!!!

Ushi

Scene Chaser
05-30-2013, 07:58 AM
Good Day All,
So far it is sunny and quiet except for the birds. The Canada geese flying over honk you away around here.

As Char says, we will get rain. In fact, it is threatening rain everyday for the foreseeable future.

JJ, the Neti Pot cured my sinusitis. I use the neti pot every once in a while even if I don't have a cold. And, I haven't had one in a couple of years. Knock on wood. We don't just touch it over here. :)

I forgot to harvest nettles this year, but it makes a great, high-protein veg. Must be harvested when very young, though. I may cut it down and see if it can be harvested yet. Some people use bare hands.

I am stuck in the house doing paperwork today.

Waiting and hoping someone took a camera with them to the meet last night.
Bill

shipbroker
05-30-2013, 08:24 AM
Well won't be meeting up with Darla & Larry as their trip running very late, they had an hour and a half to wait at the Beatrix Potter Museum, which is not unusual, due to the queues of Japanese who flock there.....so their lunchtime stop at Grasmere is delayed and a Kettlewell call is probably not on the cards.....hey ho.......

Rain just stopping at last, been dropping since about 0800 yesterday.

geoff

wcartistsr
05-30-2013, 08:48 AM
Hello to all.
Sunny out at the moment, but rain in the forecast for the next few days. We have been trying to get the rest of the plants in, but there are still more to go. Don't think it will get done for awhile yet. Besides, a day in the garden, and we need a day to rest up.

I finished scanning my pictures, and now I am tidying up the file names and getting them into the right folders. Next I will adjust them in PSP. Then I should be ready to burn some DVD's.

The picture of Larry, Darla, Doug, and Ruth yesterday was great. Good to see them all together. Sounds like your get-together last night was a lot of fun. Hope to see a picture of that.

JJ, sorry you are sick at the moment. Rest and get well so you can go on another adventure.
((Henry and Leslie))-Glad the doctors are getting together for a treatment plan and you can soon move forward.

Off to run some errands. Company coming next week, so some prep in order.

Shirley

Flattwo
05-30-2013, 08:52 AM
Hi to all

Warm here, with a busy afternoon planned

I bought a Kindle fire, any advice of the best place to download mills and boons e books (not for me) and a link that offers free books would be appreciated

Too hot here....phew!

Henry

LCPainterCat
05-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Good Morning, Washers (or Good Evening) -

What a bright beginning for my day to find everyone so chipper and full of good cheer this morning : )

Going to be mid 90s today, with matching humidity. It was already in the 90s (33-35 C) yesterday, but the house is only beginning to heat up for the summer. By Monday it will be like living inside a slow-cooker. Let the winge-ing begin. . . .

Like Uschi, I have gone the past three years with NO air conditioning, and it has been pretty punishing. (Saved a bundle on electricity charges, though!) My old Central Air had bitten the dust and I couldn't afford a whole new system. Late last summer I got a really nice "portable" -- but not really moveable -- machine. It weighs a ton, and has to be affixed through a window. It really works! BUT, it soon turned out that the electric wiring in this elderly but not historically old house isn't adequate, and when the wall where it was plugged in began to get noticeably warm, I realized I had created a fire hazard. Can't afford to rewire the house, or to burn it down, so here I go, sliding around in my own "glow" through yet another oppressive summer. Ugh.

Winge over -- temporarily! LOL!

Annie:
If you were climbing about among dogwoods and trilliums and hounds, it sounds as if you might have been in Tennessee? Where there are bears in them thar hills, as well as rattlesnakes and copperheads and the dreaded brown recluse spider!? I'm glad you encountered nothing more dangerous than overly affectionate hounds and stinging nettles. <G>

I'm beginning to think that only New Zealand is really safe, wildlife wise!

Kevin:
Wonderful description of your pub get-together evening! What a great crew of personalities. If Pat and Winnie didn't get the red jacket message, at least they brought their red hair to the party. What a well brought up seven-year old Sam must be, to politely endure such a long evening among a party of unknown and oddly assorted adults! : )

Doris:
I'm really impressed that your acupuncture session gave you so much relief, even if only temporarily. Great that your acupuncturist is also a western style MD, so she knows what she is doing from both perspectives. Now, if only dental work could be accomplished by acupuncture. . . .

The NYC Bike Share program has been receiving lots of coverage on Public Radio. It sounds perfect for your needs. Offering free helmets to members was an excellent idea.

JJ:
The Neti Pot does sound rather icky, but everyone who tries it seems to find relief. Glad it is helping. And great that Esmerelda is back and in good form, awaiting your next adventure together.

Stew:
Chocolates for breakfast? Sounds good to me! How about an espresso cream covered in dark chocolate? What a tempting shop -- glad it's safely across the Atlantic! <G> JJ on trumpet? An even more tempting visual!

Reggie:
Delighted to hear that the job is working out so well. I guess after your long vacation from work, having to be up and out so early, and at your best all day, everyday, will take some getting used to. No wonder you're tired at the end of the day. But it's all good! : )

Char:
I see you're sharing my weather. It is odd, but despite so many north-south miles between us, you and Uschi seem always to have the same weather at the same time as ours, although your growing and blooming seasons begin later.

I'm happy to hear that the new class settled in quickly yesterday, and accomplished a lot, despite so many new-to-watercolor students. Why does the Center allow brand new students to enroll in an advanced class? It isn't as though they are needed to make up numbers, since you have a healthy waiting list!
Did I miss your most recent end-of-lesson series photo from your last class of all the students and the amazing work done under your tutelage?

CostCo: I made my semiannual visit (with my daughter, the member) last week. I can never resist their pesto or nuts (I bought walnuts and almonds to keep ready in my freezer) and unbelievably inexpensive vanilla and 3-year old aged sharp cheddar and smoked salmon. I also picked up a large bag of soft dried apricots -- they are not preservative free, so not up your alley, but so delicious!

Bill:
Nettles? I never had them -- not once in decades in this house -- until I had a landscaper named, ironically, "The English Gardener" to plant hundreds of trailing euonymous over a steep bank that could not be safely mowed. He brought in a load of farm soil to enrich the soil, and it was laced with nettle seeds. I have been battling them for well over a decade now, and they crop up again as fast as thye can be pulled. If anything, there are more every year. I'm not sure I have the nerve to try eating them, although new young plants appear almost daily from last frost of spring to first of the fall.

Uschi:
Our wartime "free" veggie was purslane, which grew freely in our Connecticut gardens. We kids hated it, of course. It had a kind of slightly sour taste and the slimy mouth feel of okra. (I have just read that the sliminess indicates it was over-cooked, and advising that it is good raw in sandwiches and salads.) I wonder if I'd like it better now?

Hugs to those who could use one -- and a happy wave to those who are feeling quite chipper today!

Lynn/LC

StewGold
05-30-2013, 10:41 AM
I've watched the nettle eating competition. They get supplied with 2 foot long stems of raw leaves. All the leaves must be eaten. Raw. They sting your lips, but not your tongue, so there's a skill to getting them in the mouth. They do turn your tongue black though. Eat as many leaves off the stems as possible in an hour. The record is 76 stems. Nettles are 40% protein, so very good as a soup, with some cream and chives.

Free Mobi format books for Henry and all Kindlers They download as .Mobi in Chrome but sometimes as .Prc with Internet Explorer; which your Kindle will display perfectly as well.

www.smashwords.com They sell books too, but there's a lot of freebies. And twice a year they have a 100% off sale for a week. However there's a reason some of them are free, some are dreadful; have fun.

Am away to fill 108 module seed trays with tiny pansy seedlings, ready for the winter displays. Fun to be looking ahead in the garden.

Europa
05-30-2013, 02:16 PM
EVENING WASHGANGEROOS!!

Just about to make the tea but thought I had better upload some photos from last night - it was a great evening ....and yes I may have chatted a lot but hey you can't say it's not interesting.........i have led an interesting life (that is my story and am sticking to it :angel: )

Sam was a joy - so well behaved or maybe just mesmerised - not sure....lol.

Poor Darla was a bit green around the gills due to our winding country roads - hope she feels better today.

Mum loved every minute of it and the only reason she didn't thump Kev was because she couldn't reach him.....lol.

Anyhoos here are some pics......you will see floosie Win at it again....I despair.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2013/29499-2013-05-29_20.55.40.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2013/29499-2013-05-29_20.26.53.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2013/29499-2013-05-29_20.58.38.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2013/29499-2013-05-29_20.26.34.jpg

I did take a couple more but they turned out blurry - i blame the san migeul....

LUGGLES

Pat xxx

Roun2it
05-30-2013, 02:54 PM
Naaaaa it's not the beer, you gotta stop talking when you press the button .......... ;lol:

LCPainterCat
05-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Boy, Doug takes one day off, and all &%$# breaks loose on the site.
What a really ODD assortment of misplaced posts! LOL!
Lynn/LC

GramPat
05-30-2013, 06:05 PM
I was reading the Wash and went to highlight page 3, but when page loaded, no page 3. Then I saw Pat's post with pix on page 2 but they were'nt there when I had read page 2. I think gremlins are at work again! Think I will wait to post tomorrow........... Wonder where this will show up?

Pat

Undergoose
05-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Hey guys :)

No age jokes this time, I promise. Sorry if I offended anyone the other day, sometimes my fingers runneth faster than my sense of etiquette.

For what it's worth, I AM extremely hard of hearing, and while I'm not sure what Geritol does, I'm old and beaten down enough that I'd probably benefit from drinking some. I even yanked a pure white hair growing out of my ear this morning. They've been showing up often and with great rigor, seemingly overnight. I think this particular little jerk was attached to my eyeball, it hurt more than normal. :p

I've slowly been packing and getting ready to blow this taco stand. Lots of organization and pruning of clutter in order to fit everything in my little one-man wagon train.

I keep finding things that I haven't used since I moved out here from Seattle 11 years ago. I paid to ship it out here, I paid to store it for a decade, and now most of it I'm selling cheap or tossing in the dumpster. :/

At least I'm finally getting rid of it. After the house burned down last year, I immediately got my head wrapped around the idea that you can't take it with you. I lost so much stuff that, while I miss the money that I could have sold it for, I DON'T miss the quiet, oppressive constraints that come with being a habitual pack-rat.

Clutter is of the devil.

Speaking of the devil, he dropped by today to borrow a cup of sugar. He's in town this week while Pennsylvania has apparently been temporarily relocated to the surface of the sun.

It is SO hot here! I can't wait to get home. High of 97 today, and plenty humid. The one time I did check the current temperature, it said 86 degrees, and with the heat index it said "Feels like: 98".

Blech.

On the upside, I've been wanting to test out the little set of Sennelier half pans that I have. They're the actual pans, not dried tubes. I stuck the black metal travel box/palette on the dashboard of my van for a few hours in full sun. While it was too hot almost to touch, the little cakes stayed solid and didn't melt.

They're either using a different formula for their pans, or my dried-tube wells haven't set up hard enough yet. Either way, it's good to know I can cart that set around in my backpack and such without worrying about it getting gooey and mobile in there.

I'm going to put my Mijello airtight with the dried (sort of) M Graham and Sennelier tubes in the van tomorrow for the same test. If nothing else, it'll melt the lumps out of them. :)

I've been painting a little off and on, just doing a bunch of ACEO's so I don't have to commit to full sized washes and stuff while I'm packing.

Back to sorting and boxing

kaypainter
05-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Well I had posted twice today. They were both there earlier and now . . . . neither one is here. :eek: :crying: :rolleyes: :clear: :confused:

Kay

WthrLady
05-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Hey all!
Henry, lots of free on amazon.com. daily freebies. Do a topkc search and then sort by low price first and that puts free first.

Also google gutenburg project. Oldold old books for free. Super reads!

Packers showed up at 9, done at 330. I had the house clean by 4. The military housing inpector showed up at 405, and I was released from the house by 415!

I'm done!

Leaving at 830am.
Will update along travels.

CharM
05-30-2013, 10:20 PM
Kay, my posts after 10:00 a.m. have disappeared again... I did wish you a Happy Birthday in spite of having to wait for UPS...

Pat, I finally see your photos, though! :clap: What a fine looking group!

Caryl, in my missing post I also suggested Project Gutenberg... there are thousands of free books available for download... they're not very contemporary, though.

Where are you moving to, Karl? Getting rid of clutter is liberating!

Undergoose
05-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Heading back to Seattle for few months then up to Alaska