PDA

View Full Version : TP is at it again! -- progress report.

Brian Barnes
05-29-2013, 06:37 PM
TP seems to be a frog with many hidden talents ... or so he'd have you believe.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2013/33172-Cello_fr_327.jpg

I've created the music again for this one myself. Two songs so far. :D

Using more of my older watercolour paintings as backgrounds.

Having fun doing both animation and music. Nice having so much control ... as I do have a tendency to change and tweak as I go. ;)

Stay tuned. Lots more to follow in the coming weeks.

Music and story are gradually coming together. :)

BrianB

If you missed the previous one it's here ... The Flying Ace (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1316110).

LCPainterCat
05-29-2013, 07:54 PM
From Brian: "Stay tuned."

We will! We are!!!! Brian, the wonderful watercolor backgrounds add such
a unique quality to your work. And now your own original music, too! You are having way too much fun -- and we can't wait to share it :)

Lynn/LC

Doris345
05-29-2013, 09:23 PM
Yay Brian! Can't wait to see what TP is up to next.

Sittin' right here - watching, waiting.

Doris

M.L. Schaefer
05-29-2013, 10:19 PM
:clap: :clap: I am loving this already...the fabulous atmosphere with the misty background, and the COLORS, oh my, the Colors! and TP's expression...Brian, you just keep getting better and better! I can't wait!

:heart: Margarete

Brian Barnes
05-30-2013, 12:26 AM
Lynn, Doris, and Margarete --- Glad to have you on board. :)

Lynn -- Before you get to excited about the music, let my clarify that I create the music on the computer using GarageBand. So I can't make the claim that the music is original. I'm not the composer ... but I am the arranger. I arranged and created the music ( Out of Africa Theme) for "The Flying Ace" ... but the great John Barry composed it. I hope I did him justice with my rendition.:) Similarly, this time I've arranged and created computerized versions of two very well known songs. One sounds like a 3-piece lounge band and the other like a full orchestra. Hmmm ... I wonder which one TP is a member of.;)

For those of you not familiar with GarageBand, it's a software program which came packaged with my iMac. You may have it too. (If you have a relatively new Mac computer it probably shows as a guitar icon at the bottom of your Mac screen.)

This is what my GarageBand editing workspace looks like ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2013/33172-GarageBand_workspace.jpg

The fat bars at the top are the various instruments I'm using. Under each are the volume controls. Each fat bar acts like the old fashioned piano rolls with holes for the different notes that are played as the bar rolls by.

The narrow bars at the bottom are the individual notes for a selected instrument. Editing can be done by moving the bar up or down (pitch) or left and right (when the note gets played). Each space vertically is a semi-tone above the one below it. Lengthening a bar increases the note's duration.

Several weeks ago I knew absolutely nothing about GarageBand. Truthfully, I thought it was for kids to create a bunch of noise. I had no idea how powerful and creative this program could be.:o

After one week I finished my orchestral rendition of Out of Africa, one note at a time, one instrument at a time. No piano keyboard or piano skills were necessary! I just used the computer keyboard to play some notes (mostly wrong notes :eek: ) and then used the editing window (image above) to place the notes in the correct positions for pitch and timing. Lots and lots of tweaking involved here.

A week later I finished the two songs for my next animation.

Believe me ... if I can create music with GarageBand, anyone with the tiniest bit of musical background can. ;) If you have GarageBand on your computer and haven't tried it, you don't know the thrill you are missing!

If I did a good job of describing GarageBand, some of you may be able to figure out what song appears in the image above.:evil: Any guesses?

BrianB

LCPainterCat
05-30-2013, 06:48 AM
Brian --

YIKES! I DO have garage Band. I DIDN"T need to learn that it was so easily accessible and might eat up even more of my play-time than my photo programs do!!!! I, too, thought it was either for "kids to make noise" or real trained musicians. I was quite content to allow it to lie unawakened. Your explanation is all too clear: I must NOT open the program.

Lynn/LC remembering Pandora . . .

Brian Barnes
06-02-2013, 12:56 AM
LOL, lynn. :lol:

Progress report:

Well ... it's an age old story. Boy frog meets girl frog .... and there's magic and music and ... ? :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2013/33172-Bar_int_fr_749.jpg

Stay tuned. More in the coming weeks. :)

BrianB

Yorky
06-02-2013, 01:33 AM
Ooo! A romance :lol:

Doug

Brian Barnes
06-06-2013, 03:06 AM
You might recognize this very touching famous movie scene that TP has re-created ....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2013/33172-Rainbow_flight_fr_91.jpg

I'm trying not to spoil any surprises, however. :evil:

BrianB

Yorky
06-06-2013, 03:14 AM
Every girl loves an aviator :lol:

Doug

Doris345
06-06-2013, 04:43 AM
Brian

Not a clue to the song or the movie scene. I am dying here. Hurry, please.

Doris

Brian Barnes
06-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Doris -- Please hang in there! :)

Hint: The scene is from the movie associated with the music in "The Flying Ace". ;)

BrianB

CharM
06-06-2013, 11:55 PM
We'll always have Paris. We didn't have, we, we lost it until you came to Casablanca. We got it back last night.

Brian Barnes
06-07-2013, 12:44 AM
Nope ... not "Casablanca". The scene was a little more recent, like say 1985. :D The music would give it away ... although I'm going to use different music for it. :evil:

BrianB

Doris345
06-07-2013, 04:46 AM
Curse you, red baron.
?

olliewood0702
06-07-2013, 07:38 AM
Top Gun!

Brian Barnes
06-07-2013, 12:06 PM
You guys are too funny. :lol:

Good thing you're not right next to me for decision-making. Nothing would ever get done. :D (Too many good ideas.)

This very emotional scene plays out over several seconds with no dialogue ... only facial and body language. In Out of Africa, Meryl Streep actually brought tears to my eyes.

My big decision now is exactly where to place it in the film sequence and musical passage. There is so much more happening and the story line has to make sense... especially since TP tends to daydream a lot. ;)

Back to work.:)

Yorky
06-07-2013, 12:09 PM
I'm intrigued. Can't wait to see more.

Doug

Brian Barnes
06-07-2013, 02:11 PM
I promised myself when I first started animating that I would always add something new in each animation, making each one more challenging. I've kept that promise. :D

Just to complicate things more ... and add more intrigue to this thread .... I'm telling you now that the new thing this time is animated backgrounds.

Some of you may remember this painting from a few years back. "Legends of the Okanagan" featuring one of our paddlewheelers from the past along with an unreported sighting of our fabled lake monster, Ogopogo. I'm currently engineering the animation for this segment.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2013/33172-Legends.jpg

This is one of two that will be animated in this film. TP's nose (if he had one) will be out of joint over this development, I'm sure. ;)

Still having fun with my old paintings.:evil:

BrianB

CharM
06-07-2013, 05:08 PM
In Out of Africa, Meryl Streep actually brought tears to my eyes.

Swoon....

Brian Barnes
06-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Spent a dozen or so hours animating the Legends painting (seen above). Some parts were easy :) ... but others were very difficult:( , such as the smoke pouring out of the boat's stack and dissipating in the air as the boat passes. After several hours of experimenting I figured it out. Credible water movement was another tricky bit.

Our vision has a primitive alarm system built in. It detects the slightest movement in stationary backgrounds. Without movement an unwanted intruder can go undetected. It's a defense mechanism. In animation, I'm continually watching for and trying to avoid these unwanted movements.

Ogopogo pops up as the boat goes by. I've tried to maintain the mystery that continues to surround his existence. If you think he's a partly submerged tree bobbing around in the middle of the lake ..... well ... you'll have to decide for yourself when you see this rare exclusive footage. That was tricky too. :evil:

Anyways, I've now animated the scene to show exactly what I imagined when I painted it a few years ago. :D

Here are a couple of scenes without Ogopogo.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2013/33172-Legends_flts__fr_60.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2013/33172-Legends_flts__fr_337.jpg

BrianB

Brian Barnes
06-11-2013, 03:46 AM
I don't think I explained the unwanted movement problem very well.

Look at it this way:
If you paint a picture and it has a tiny error in it, chances are most people won't notice.:) But if that item of error could jiggle around or flash on and off, everyone would naturally notice. :eek:

That's what happens in animation. :( The slightest little unwanted flicker stands out like a sore thumb. Everyone will notice. That's because we're wired to detect movement ... especially if it is unusual or unexpected or abnormal. Usually I can find the offending movement in re-screening over and over and then remove it with a simple adjustment.

In some cases I can't find a remedy so I then move to Plan B. That's the sneaky trick called distraction. I entice you to look elsewhere at the time the unwanted (or awkward) movement appears. :lol: Some people are too observant to be fooled however. They notice no matter what. Oh well .. I try. ;)

Back to work.

BrianB

Brian Barnes
06-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Just finishing up the final scene now. :) Next on the list are credits and any final tweakings.

Sorry for not posting more photos but I didn't want to be my own "movie-spoiler". Good to leave a few surprises ... although I do enjoy teasing. ;)

The title for now is "Dreams and Rainbows". Does it sound romantic enough? :evil:

BrianB

M.L. Schaefer
06-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Brian, I am loving this!

Yep, seeing movement (and identifying strange shapes, shadows) is a survival trait from way back when! (hmmm, how about a time-traveling TP?)

A magician is what you are! Distraction, yes, that would do it, they do it in Las Vegas (or so I heard)!

Can't wait to see what you have conjured up for us!

Yorky
06-19-2013, 02:27 AM
Where's the tapping foot icon? :)

Doug

Brian Barnes
06-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Here it is ...... finally ...... at the end of a rainbow. :D

"Dreams and Rainbows" (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19670335#post19670335)

See you there. :wave:

BrianB

M.L. Schaefer
06-20-2013, 10:13 PM
:clap: :clap: Oh, my, look at those hips gyrate!

Poor little TP...so many questions to ask...will he ever find what he is looking for...will anyone ever recognize his talents...should he join AA?

This is wonderful, and your painting of the waterfall is masterful! Brian, my man, you are on quite a journey!