PDA

View Full Version : Did Zippclamp.com shut down?

kenhuskey
05-29-2013, 10:19 AM
While looking for a Zippclamp to begin painting again, I followed a link from WC to a Canadian company that was re-making the Zippclamp paper stretcher. Their site was up 2 weeks ago when I emailed them about purchasing a Zippclamp, but now there is no internet connection to it.

M.L. Schaefer
05-31-2013, 09:38 PM
Hello, Ken!

I'm from the States and have never heard about Zippclamp...however, on Wet Canvas there are numerous Threads regarding stretching paper. Me, I mostly use 300 lb paper although I have the ability to 140 lb paper.

If you do a Search This Forum (while in the Learning Zone), and enter Stretching, I think you will find many different methods of stretching. Or, in the alternative, you may try to call Zippclamp or contact some place like Curry's and they may know.

The best to you (and don't let paper stretchers slow down your painting efforts!!!!!!!!).

:heart: Margarete

kenhuskey
06-05-2013, 08:31 AM
Hello Margarete, I used a Zippclamp back in the 80's to stretch my paper after the frustration of tape ripping up the deckled edges of my paper. I loved crisp white border it left. I have 3 sides that survived 20-30 moves around the world. I read from WC there was a place in Canada that purchased the rights to Zippclamp, they were on the net, now they're not.. I was just checking on the forums here if anyone from Canada knew if they recently went out of business.

painterbear
06-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Hi Ken,
Like Margarete, I've not heard of this particular product. But, if you can't find it, do check out this section in The Watercolor Handbook...perhaps you will be able to find a good substitute.

*Stretching Paper*

Types of Plastics for Stretching Watercolor Paper by Brandy (Kittengale)

DIY Paper Stretching Device Version II by dpcoffin

DIY Paper Stretcher; Alternative to Bromley/Leahey by dpcoffin

Paper Stretching Made Easy by RogerPf

Stretching and Preparing Paper by Brandy (kittengale)

Stretching and Working with a Full Sheet of Paper

Handmade Wooden Paper Stretcher by Zen (Zenica)

Stretching Paper on a Wood Frame by Marvin Chew (mchew)

Stretching Paper on a Canvas Stretcher Bar or Wood Frame

Using Gummed Tape for Stretching Paper

The link to the Handbook is in my signature line and at the top of The Learning Zone. Just scroll down through the topics to reach the one above. :D

Sylvia

M.L. Schaefer
06-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Hey, Ken!

Painterbear is so right, you may find something even better. But is this the kind of stretcher you were looking for? I'm thinking yes.

http://www.lawrence.co.uk/acatalog/Zipp_Clamp_Paper_Stretcher.html

:heart: Margarete

kenhuskey
06-07-2013, 08:17 AM
Yes , that is the type I am referring to. Thankyou.