PDA

View Full Version : Valentines Rose

Debzy
05-29-2013, 09:02 AM
I am trying a new subject, felt like a change from landscapes so thought i would tackle a rose. This is just stage 1 blocking in. I hope the composition / perspective reads ok. it is 40 cm x 28 cm, reasonably large. Any and all feedback welcome. Cheers =)) Debs. :thumbsup:

Debzy
05-30-2013, 11:20 PM
Dana, Don't know why but your reply to this thread and my next post have both disappeared! I will try posting again. I have worked more on the rose colour, it is actually going to be a red rose. Stage 2 finished, still a way to go. Im wondering about background? I'm not sure what colour to do it. Any feedback welcome. Cheers =)) Debs.

Debzy
05-31-2013, 01:16 AM
I have now added some more to the leaves. still early stages, will continue later with more to the rose. =)) Cheers Debs.:wave:

rossmarie
06-03-2013, 04:06 AM
Excellent work Debs! I like the background as it is - the top left and bottom right corners pick up the tones in the rose. Good stuff.

Mike :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wave:

Debzy
06-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Thanks so much Mike. I have still a way to go on this, the rose is actually going to be a deep dark red. Don't think I will do much more to the leaves. I really appreciate your feedback, I haven't done anything like this before and as you know once watercolour is on, theres not much changing it. i It is a challenge once again! Cheers and will post next stage as soon as it is complete. =)) Debs.

Don_Bowen
06-05-2013, 02:48 PM
The color variation makes it look like it could be a dried rose. Is it?

Debzy
06-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Hi Don! No it's not a dried rose but it does look a bit like one yes! It will be much deeper red after the next installment, hoping to do it in the next 3 days. It is a velvety red colour but I'm attacking it from light to dark hoping for a good outcome. Cheers and thanks for the feedback. =)) Debs.

Debzy
06-16-2013, 12:29 AM
I have done a bit more today, added more colour to the rose. Still not finished, hopefully it will be soon. Any and all critique welcome. Cheers =)) Debs. x :wave:

Trumper
06-16-2013, 06:29 AM
Lovely,i personally think the leaves are better than the flower,very overlooked sometimes in paintings are the leaves.:)

chuas2
06-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Absolutely stunning Deborah! Every stage could be a framed painting by itself. My favorite subject is the rose, but I get too bogged down in detail. Yours is perfect!
Kris

rossmarie
06-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Lovely,i personally think the leaves are better than the flower,very overlooked sometimes in paintings are the leaves.:)

I agree - the leaves are excellent. Debs - don't lose the lights and darks on the rose by making it all too dark in tone. I like the rich colour but the earlier version did show up the petal structure very well.

Mike. :thumbsup: :crossfingers: :wave:

Debzy
06-21-2013, 01:26 AM
Thank you Trumper, Kris and Mike. Yes I need to be very careful with the next stage. I'm only going to add some limited darks now and try and define the petals and then call it done. I have added some very subtle background wash colours but won't post until finished now. I really appreciate your support and wonderful feedback. Hope to finish this in the next few days and start a new project. Cheers and keep smiling! Debs. 😄

Debzy
06-25-2013, 10:38 AM
I have attempted to clarify the petals more and added yet more colour. I want to darken the greenery a little in places and then will probably call it finished. Any critique or suggestions for improvement are welcome. Cheers =)) Debs.

Trumper
06-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Please leave it,very nice ,well done :) - - oh did i say please leave it :)

Debzy
06-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Haha thanks Trumper, you are very sweet! I'm glad you like it. I am only going to do some very subtle things, it really won't change at all, just some very slight changes to add a little more depth to the leaves. I am so grateful for your comment, it made me smile and feel good! I will post the final finished work soon. Cheers Trumper and have a lovely day. X :) :clap: :thumbsup: :D :crossfingers: Debs.

Debzy
06-26-2013, 08:28 AM
:wave: I think this is finished. I have added some colour and shadow to the leaves to give them as much saturation as the rose. I hope you dont think I have spoilt it. :crossfingers: Really appreciate your opinions. The camera has made the rose look lighter than it actually is in the painting. It is very dark deep red. cheers. =)) Debs. :D

Debzy
06-26-2013, 08:52 AM
This camera shot shows more accurate colour, but still doesn't do the deep red colour of the painting justice. =)) Debs

rossmarie
06-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Very well painted, Debzy. I doubt I would have had your patience to paint this.

A lovely rose. "Blooming good" I am tempted to say.

Mike. :thumbsup: :clap:

Debzy
06-28-2013, 12:12 AM
Ha bloomin' good!!! I like that! Thanks Mike, yes there was a bit of patience required, but I did enjoy painting it. There was a lot of colour layering to get the colour just right and I am happy with the result. I do feel that the petals don't look quite soft enough but I'm afraid to add any more water for fear of runs or blossoms. So I am going to leave it as is. I learnt a lot doing this and the next rose I do will be better. I was worried that the leaves may look too dark, but this particular rose has very dark green leaves. Anyway, thank you so much for your feedback Mike, much appreciated as always. Cheers =)) Debs. X