PDA

View Full Version : ** Daily Wash Wednesday 29th May 2013 **

shipbroker
05-28-2013, 10:47 PM
Morning all.

Just read the storm reports in Tuesdays Wash, keep your heads down folks.

Very light sky here and birds have already started, mainly the blackbirds.

Today the market about 0800 I would think then some more geentle gardening, I have slowed down a lot since Ireland.

Back later

geoff

Yorky
05-29-2013, 01:19 AM
Good morning all, 6.15am here, just checked and Darla's flight is due in T 8.30 so I'll have to get into the shower.

It's a bright dry morning here with touches of blue sky showing:thumbsup:

Bbl

Doug

shipbroker
05-29-2013, 02:24 AM
Dull here now, enjoy the Aurport!

geoff

shipbroker
05-29-2013, 03:30 AM
Well that should have been Airport...........I altered it then duplicated it!

Three weeks from Mid-summer.....just been to market needing headlights on to see through the mist........the road across to The Lakes from here has thick fog......never mind a heat wave forecast for Scotland by Thursday 20C ( about 68F) for Glasgow. so sun cream out Henry.

geoff

Drollaeem
05-29-2013, 05:26 AM
Foggy weather is my favorite weather :) Especially if no one else is driving!

Been up since 3:30 with sinus pressure from the thunderstorms. They (the thunderstorms, not my sinuses) sound lovely though, with birdsong in between bursts of rain. I'm glad I was up for it. :)

Doris345
05-29-2013, 05:30 AM
Hello washers

Hi doug
Hi Geoff - enjoy your visit with Darla.
Anita - I am also confused about what day it is, but I am not sure it's fair to blame the holiday. I think its just me being confused.
Ellen - Enjoy the wedding (and the weather).
JJ - love your macho kitties.
(((Kay)))
Hi Caryl :wave:

I have an appointment today with my acupuncturist. She is a lovely chinese physician, also licensed MD here. Haven't seen her in about 1-1/2 years, but I always feel wonderful after I have had a couple of sessions.

Full report later.

Doris

doppler
05-29-2013, 05:38 AM
Good evening all.

Geoff, :lol:

Doug, make sure you collect Darla and Larry :)

Droll ... Yes! Hope your bits get better.:wave:

Nuffing much here. Cold. Got both cats in at 4 pm but failed to notice that the back door was open. :rolleyes: Loki stayed in anyway. Sleepy. Her annoying starts in the early morning dark. Bo sailed right out the back door and then in the dark crept up behind us on the side verandah and had a face off with Loki, who had just finished her dinner and was about to start on his. Slide of the screen door. The brown boffin sailed in.

Edit ... Hi Doris. Enjoy the needling ? :eek:

:wave:

Lulu
05-29-2013, 05:50 AM
Hi everyone,

Today, if she were alive, my dear mil would have been 100 years old. She got to 93, bless her. What a wonderful example of good living she left us too. :heart:

Also, today it is 60 years since Sir Edmund Hillary climbed Mt Everest! :thumbsup:

Has been a sunny but a very cool day here, winter has arrived! :eek:

We don't get snow here, but this is the view from my sister's home (further south), so no wonder it is cold up here!
Very pretty though - when viewed from the distance of the computer screen lol

Mt Ruapehu this morning, in central North Island: (no snagging please).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2013/1118-Merrilyns.jpg

LynnM
05-29-2013, 07:51 AM
:wave: Good day all! Sun just emerging from some fog on the horizon, hope the rain has stopped. Lots of thunder in the night. Sewing for me today, with painting for relief.

Good thing the tornado wasn't further north, Bill! We had a couple touch down up here a few days ago, it is an unsettling time.

(((Kay))) (((JJ)))

Bravo, Caryl! hope the rest of the move goes as smoothly, enjoy your day off!

Gorgeous photo, Lulu, with the snow and the fall colours.

Enjoy your acupuncture Doris, talk about confusion, I forgot to go for my massage yesterday, very annoyed with myself. I get so involved in my projects I just lose track of everything. She has forgiven me, thank goodness!

Hi Geoff, Doug, Abigail, Annie and all to come, hope you have a rewarding day!:grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

Scene Chaser
05-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Good Day All,

Well, Darla, you missed all the fun last night. Terrible violent storms and tornadoes. Still raining off and on, too. Enjoy England. Hope you had a great trip. Isn't that plane food great?

Nice photo, Lulu. Don't worry, not my kind of scene to snag. Watch out for Doug, though.

Geoff, you were sure early this morning. I saw you post as I was busy watching the storms. Janet went to bed while I stood watch for tornadoes.
Then took the watch at midnight while I slept.

Doris, hope the acupuncturist brings relief.

Bill

shipbroker
05-29-2013, 08:04 AM
Thunderstorms might clear the cold mizzle we have here..glad I did the market early as hardly light now, heating full on as well as house lights...1300 hours on a late May day in England..........whatever, happened to Global Warming?

geoff

CharM
05-29-2013, 08:35 AM
Good morning Washers! It's cloudy and quite warm at 21C... we're expecting some scattered showers here today.

I need to pack up my *stuff* for my first Class of my workshop that begins today. It's going to run only 4 weeks for 3-hour Classes each Wednesday... The first Class is always the most harried as we get all the paraphernalia distributed and people settled into their seats... kind of funny how people choose where they sit at the tables and why... :lol:

There just doesn't seem to be any *bouncing back* these days, eh, Geoff!

:crossfingers: that Darla's flight arrives safely and on time, Doug.

Hi Abigail... I hope your sinusitis eases today...

Doris, ever since we retired we have to check our online Calendar to make sure what day it is... I find that my teaching schedule helps me a lot... but when I close up shop for the summer, I'm absolutely hopeless... every day is Saturday... :)

Acupuncture is a great alternative medicine...

Good evening Annie...

What a beautiful view Lulu! No worry of snagging from me... landscapes and I really struggle...

Happy sewing and painting, Lynn... my Homeschool Mom is a massage therapist and Monday morning during class her phone was ringing off the hook (do cells have a *hook*?)... seems one of her clients totally missed a session and wanted to re-book... :lol:

Bill, Ms. Feral is a smart Kitty. Pretty scary when you have to do a tornado watch in the dark of night...

I hope that everyone has the very best possible day... I'm off to get a cup of coffee and begin working on my day... :wave:

Strawberry Wine
05-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Good Day Washers !

Rained hard overnight so we are back to being soggy but the cold snap seems to have ended :thumbsup: As soon as the ground dries a little I can continue my planting.

Uschi, those storm chasers are a little wacko . I imagine that was a very small tornado for them to be sitting in the middle of it... do you remember the movie "The Perfect Storm"?

Anita, I am smiling about your recent discovery of our aging Canadian legend Leonard Cohen. Not much of a singer as he generally talks the music. Songwriter for many, many, artists. One of my favourites of his is "Suzanne".

:grouphug: kay, hope the dark clouds pass soon.

Darla, you should be chatting up a storm with Doug and Ruth by now. Have a wonderful trip.

Ellen, after the wedding let everyone know that your Mother of the Groom duties are over and you are going relax and enjoy the rest of the holiday so everyone should fend for themselves. :)

JJ, this bug keeps on giving..... My sore throat and ears are back for the 3rd time. I guess it is time for a Dr re visit. I am losing the war so unfortunately I may need another antibiotic. :( It takes weeks to feel better and then only if you have been behaving and resting.

The sun has come out for the moment so time to take a look and see how soggy the ground is...

Cheers to all,

Gail

painterbear
05-29-2013, 08:45 AM
Good Morning all,
Dashing out the door in a couple of minutes for day 2 of my workshop. Yesterday was interesting and fun. Today we'll be exploring a different technique. I've got my drawing of waterlilies on paper, so I'm ahead of where I started yesterday. :rolleyes: The book the instructor is using for our explorations is called Watercolor, The Spirit of Spontaneity (http://www.amazon.com/Watercolor-The-Spirit-Of-Spontaneity/dp/0979221811/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cp_1_2P8S)by Karlyn Holman. It is filled with gorgeous paintings and interesting methods to achieve them. I took a photo and will show you all three paintings we do after tomorrows class.

:wave: to all who were here before me. White light to those ailing and aching. :thumbsup: Carly on a success packing up. :crossfingers: it goes well on the other end and there isn't any (or too much) damage to your goods.

SYL,

Sylvia

Scene Chaser
05-29-2013, 08:59 AM
(((Gail))) Stay home and stay away from people with bugs. You need to get strong first.

We have a lot of water here. The garden will have to wait for a good week or more. Farmers are going to be anxious.
Bill

Flattwo
05-29-2013, 09:25 AM
Hi to All

Geoff, A heat wave? must get my shorts, sandals and straw hat out, last time was 1997 I believe :evil:

Actually it was very warm last week, here is a photo of one of my nieces and grandniece sitting on the shore of Loch Lomond at Luss last week.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2013/3457-969774_603394639678268_262617844_n1.jpg

Lesley's Doctors secretary phoned this morning, they will make a decision on her treatment Thursday 6th June after a multi disciplinary meeting.

Lesley's Sister and co are in Edinburgh today and will visit the inside of the Castle, which is great fun!

Henry

ScarletLake
05-29-2013, 09:50 AM
Hello Everyone

Well the mystery of why I could not close my eyes Monday night until almost 5AM has been solved. I like the Internaltional Delight Iced Coffee drink. I usually don't get it because it is too expensive for my taste but our local grocer had it on a really good sale price so DH picked one up for me.

I had several glasses of it Monday late afternoon and evening. I checked yesterday morning and the flavor was Coffee with caffeine. I drink decaf coffee and decafe Coke which I rarely have anymore.

No wonder I was up ALL night:eek: :eek: :eek:

We did not get any rain or storms last night and I did see that guy in his storm chaser vehicle. He's crazy.

Darla and Larry are probably with Doug about now. So excited for them.

Geoff - Yes I had never heard Leonard Cohen before. So all new to me. His voice has definately gotten raspier from his younger days.

Doris - Enjoy your appt and hope it helps

Gail - Yes it seems like that stuff hangs on forever. I was fortunate and did not get a cold this past winter.

Well I think I may walk downtown in a little while. I have not been up too long so some sleep gotten last night.

I have a dentist appt tomorrow morning for some replacement fillings and boy do I dread that. He said it would only take about 1 1/2 hr. so I will be watching the clock. I'm a big chicken with dental things.

Everybody have a great day

Anita

shipbroker
05-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Geoff - Yes I had never heard Leonard Cohen before. So all new to me. His voice has definately gotten raspier from his younger days.

Starts a UK tour shortly if you want to pop over Anita!

Still raining although just a little warmer by a degree or so...culture and weather shock for Darla ..........

(((((((((((((((Henry & Lesley)))))))))))))))........

Henry, did you ever go back to that Lochside Gallery we visited....nice paintings, smelled of damp though??

geoff

JudyL
05-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Hiya :wave:
Got to sleep in till 7 am:eek: Lauren not going to school well she did graduate yesterday, but the school said they should go for the rest of the week, yeah, right. I did ask what would they do if they went, she said movies. Ok. She will stay home and find her floor.

The graduation does not stop, Spencer is graduating from Jr High school to High School happily at the school so I should not be subject to women who wear WAY too much perfume! I do wish they would learn that if you wear the same scent day after day, you will get used to the smell and wear more and MORE! I could hardly breathe and still am not back to normal.

Gail, go to the doc and take your medicine!

Flattwo
05-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Geoff, I never did go back to that gallery, and yes it did smell a bit dampish!

I am going to check online to see if they are still in business

Henry

Yorky
05-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Hi folks! Darla and Larry are having an afternoon nap after a whirlwind tour of West Lancashire. First we went to the canal at Top Locks Bill on the way from the airport then the obligatory coffee with apple pie and chocolate cake :)

Just been on a tour of our local National Trust house, Rufford old Hall rebuilt 1541:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2013/1046-DarlaLarryRufford.jpg

Then a quick spin through Southport to round things off. They have a few hours rest before we meet Pat, Winnie, Kev and Chris for a pub meal down the road.

Tomorrow we do the tour of The Lakes and Yorkshire Dales :)

Wonderful to meet them again, like we were never apart.

Having a few sprinkles of rain now, nothing serious, hope it stays fine tomorrow. If is is raining heavily we may miss out Kettlewell Geoff.

Doug

shipbroker
05-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Doug, The west side is supposed to be better tomorrow than here......
Yes we did Rufford Old Hall last month too.....
geoff

villagernb
05-29-2013, 11:45 AM
Hi, Larry, Darla, Ruth and Doug! What a great photo! You all look fabulous. Enjoy your get-together at the pub.

Sunny and breezy here, not too cool; nicest day we've had in a while. :D
Heading out shortly for my long walk to the post office. I need a change from weeding.

Anita, I was sorry to have missed Leonard Cohen's concert in Moncton last month. Our son's Vancouver wedding in July is swallowing our entertainment budget for a while! But like the other Washers, for us, family comes first!
I can sympathize about the caffeine insomnia. Up until a couple years ago, I could drink coffee whenever I felt like it, even at midnight, and still sleep like a baby. Not anymore! I switched to green tea for a while, but I don't like it!:p
I've discovered through trial and error that I can have my last coffee of the day before supper, sometime between 4 and 5 pm, and usually still get a decent night's sleep.:clap:

Time to hit the road!

Cheers, Anne

Scene Chaser
05-29-2013, 11:50 AM
You all look great. Looks like they are getting a great tour. I love the canals and boats.
Darla and Larry must be exhausted.
The're in for some great scenery and company of old friends.

I saved the photo for my friends album.

Anne and Anita, I understand that a coffee before each meal helps speed up the matabolism and aides in weight reduction. Good for the likes of me who needs to lose a good four stones. :)
Bill

Scene Chaser
05-29-2013, 12:15 PM
Thought I'd share a cat photo I found.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2013/83119-kitten_peaking.jpg

Lunch time.
Bill

LynnM
05-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Ahhh Bill, that's sweet!

Super photo, Doug.....so nice to see you all! Lovely building, too :envy:

Anne, I'm struggling with the caffeine too, like you, I can have a cup of tea, or maybe coffee, around 4PM and still sleep, but no later!

Love the picture, Henry, such handsome ladies! Good that you have a date, I hope you can get going on treatment soon.

(((Gail)))

:wave: Char

Judy, I know what you mean about the perfume, can't stand it either.

Europa
05-29-2013, 12:30 PM
AFTERNOON WASHGANGEROOS!!

Popping in before I go and get me and SWMBO ready to meet up with Darla and Larry later on.....going for a meal with them - Doug and Ruth and Kev and Chris - looking forward to it,

Was first decent day today weatherwise I was able to take Mum into town for a tootle around - we only really stayed about an hour then finished off with a cuppa and some carrot cake. Just got back in time before the rain started. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Interesting thing - there was a family of five (including two children) on the table near us and not one of them spoke to each other - they were all too busy either texting or playing on their phones. Certainly killed the art of conversation. :(

Nothing else much to report from Brogan Towers - same old same old - hope everyone is ok -sending white light to those in need.

Waving to everyone :wave:

LUGGLES

Pat xxx

Scene Chaser
05-29-2013, 12:41 PM
Enjoy your visit tonight, Pat. Actually, whenever North American Wash members visit England, the weather turns sunny. :)
Bill

Uschi
05-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Good Afternoon!!!

Been to table tennis, visiting with you good people is perfect for rest and relaxation.

We have had thunderstorms during the night and this morning and the air is so thick with humidity you could cut it.

Darla and Larry are missing very hot and humid weather coming up.

The world sure has gotten small, here were Darla and Larry yesterday and today they are visiting friends in Lancaster, England:lol: Great photo Doug, they will be blinded by the green:lol: Can't wait for the dinner ones with the rest of the group.

(((((((Henry and Lesley))))))) I hope whatever they decide on works to PERFECTION!!!

Bill, AAAAWWWW!!!! Was I reading this right, Ms. Feral was INSIDE during the storm, was it with closed door??????????????????????????? Four stones, that is 56 lbs., have you gained that much since we last saw each other at the meet??????

Anita, yes, we have to give up all sorts of delicious things as we get older.

I just saw lightening, another storm in the making. BBL

Uschi

Uschi
05-29-2013, 02:01 PM
More lightening, more humidity and another huge downpour. All over now until the next one:lol: Sun is shining!!!

Judy, CONGRATULATIONS to your GD and GS!!! Pictures of how she looked????

Henry, looks plenty warm there, lovely photo!!

Sylvia, looking forward to your assessment of the "Spirit of Spontaneity". I think we tend to be mor "planners":)

Gail, I am not sure they were storm "chasers", rather people who assess storms and inform people. I think they were caught in it, 240 km an hour wind.

Char, I hope all goes well in the workshop, I am sure it will!!!

Lulu, very picturesque scenery!! I am with Char about nabbing it:lol: :lol:

:wave: to all of you I did not personally address. My rest is done, my lunch been had and now it is time to do a bit of housework.

Uschi

Scene Chaser
05-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Uschi, maybe only three stone. No, I haven't changed since the last Meet, but that's the problem. :)

Bill

LCPainterCat
05-29-2013, 02:59 PM
Hello from Maryland --

Gosh, mid-afternoon already! I did the Geoff/Anita thing and woke up at 3:30 AM; then did the Bill thing and went back to bed and napped luxuriously after 8:00 AM. Pretty much kills the morning though!

Bill:
I loved reading about Ms Feral's greeting you with such joy on your return home a couple of days ago -- and storm-watching cozily from INSIDE with you last night. Giant steps! : )

Geoff asks:
"whatever, happened to Global Warming?"

Global Warming is alive and well and has arrived on the US mid-Atlantic Coast. It's still May here, too -- supposedly Spring, and we are beginning a run of five or six days in the mid to high 90s (c. 35+ C) with a stifling blanket of Caryl's soon to be left behind Southern-style humidity. Ugh. . . . give me your chilly mizzle and the need for central heating any day! : )

Henry:
Those high-powered all-specialties medical conferences where they each consider and discuss the best possible treatment for a challenging case are excellent. I'm so happy for you and (((Lesley))) that you'll have some definite direction by the end of next week.

(((Kay))):
Birthdays can make one pretty introspective. Find something truly out of your day-to-day to see or do, maybe a wild "first" -- and grab a pal to enjoy it with -- and then have dark chocolate-dipped anything to cap it off!

Doug:

Looks like Larry didn't get the memo that red jackets were required garb. LOL! Nice to see Ruth's snazzzy red shoes again! That is simply a terrific picture of everyone, and thank you for sending it almost in real time : )

Doug's famed Apple Pie AND Doug's Chocolate Cake -- Darla and Larry have been well and truly feted chez vous! But no fish pie? When *I* come, I want the full-on Doug's Dinner treatment! (Not to worry -- my traveling days are now all behind me.)

Doug, can you ferret out Darla and Larry's actual itinerary? I had thought they were landing at Heathrow to spend a couple of days in London before your meet-up, but it appears they are fresh
off the Atlantic crossing today! Yes, they must be really tired -- and once they go to sleep . . . well, better give them a wake-up call before your dinner get-together!
So, it's Yorkshire to Scotland to London to Paris and back to London? Is that right? What a whirlwind! But when? . . . And what are they planning to do and see on the rest of their trip? Vicarious travelers want to know!

Ohmigosh! I just looked at the clock -- I bet you're already gathering at the pub! Can't wait to "see" everyone else, too -- and to hear what Darla thinks of real English pub food!

Lynn/LC

Lulu
05-29-2013, 04:36 PM
Wonderful photo Doug! have a great time, wish I was with you all! Can just imagine all the chatter:)

Are you not meeting with them Geoff?

Henry, lovely photo too! ........always a cell phone.............
All the very best to Lesley.

Interesting thing - there was a family of five (including two children) on the table near us and not one of them spoke to each other - they were all too busy either texting or playing on their phones. Certainly killed the art of conversation. :(

Yes, as above, always a cell phone..........
On holiday, when out for a meal, our son brought his out for a quick look and one of our granddaughters said to him "Dad, put that away, you're being anti-social". :thumbsup:
I do have some interesting travel photos of people with cell phones though....

Bill, the weather turns sunny in England for Kiwis too:)
Too much coffee is not good for your adrenals, leads to adrenal fatigue.

The photo snagging comment was because it is not my own photo.......Char, try landscapes in oils, much easier! lol

CharM
05-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Hiya... I'm home from Class... really tired... but everything went well and I was overly worried for naught. I think that I have the best Students on the planet. They really managed to get a ton of work done.

After raining most of the morning, the sun came out and warmed up our day... it brought the humidity with it and I've been glistening (because women don't sweat) all afternoon. :)

It looks like your Niece and friends were enjoying a gorgeously warm day, Henry! Lesley's in my prayers...

What a wonderful photo, Doug! Someone forgot to tell Larry to wear red!

((Gail))

Judy, I worked with a lady who loved Chantilly Lace... and I swore that she bathed in the stuff... I can't stand that scent to this day.

Sylvia, I think that like Uschi I'm not really filled with the "Spirit of Spontaneity"... :lol: I'm looking forward to what you'll be doing!

Lulu, I figured that the photo wasn't yours... I just wanted you to chuckle because I wasn't snagging it for ethical reasons, but lazy ones... :lol:

I like to admonish my children when they pull out their phones... I find it rude, Pat... But, I have a friend who visits and her hands are never far from her phone...

Bill, if your weight hasn't changed much since we last saw you, then you're just fine as you are! :) Love the kitty pic.

I think I'm going to take a quick power nap before supper... we're just having leftovers, so there isn't much to have to prepare.

:wave: to all I've missed by name... your chatty posts are so nice to read... :grouphug:

WthrLady
05-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Hey all. I spent my day "off" at work, both jobs! Lol!

Photo work I spent chasing a three star and cadets in 94 degree heat with a dew point of 70. Talk about soupy! Hot!

WeTher work has been busy with the storms in the mid plain ( two within 15 miles of my new house!) Too close!

Tornado chasing and research is great fun. Was more enjoyable before gps, cell phones, radars in cars, and everyone and their cousin out there clogging the road. It takes a steady soul. I took combat hardened hubby with me once, scared him, he won't go again. Oh well!

Hurricane season starts saturday too, yay!

Truck comes tomorrow.

Henry... thinking of you and dw daily.
Doug... mini meet! What fun!

Everyone else, waving, running off to the shower.

GramPat
05-29-2013, 09:12 PM
Good thoughts and prayers for those in bad weather and those traveling.

Doug, loved the photo. It is nice to see people in context of their surroundings. The little avatars don't give you much but they are better than no pix. Have a great time visiting.

Good luck with the move, Caryl. Don't think I would like to go storm chasing. I'll just watch the videos.
Pat

JudyL
05-29-2013, 09:18 PM
Been out and back, still affected by allergies :crying: I will try to post pictures after the Boy has his "Promotion" from 8th to 9th grade, will be a High School student then. That happens tomorrow, then a graduation party Saturday.

I am tired going to sit down.