PDA

View Full Version : Need advice with color mix

artbygail
05-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Hi everyone,

First, is this a peony? I took the photo a couple weeks ago.

Now, I am having an awful time mixing the right color for this flower.
What suggestions do you have? I have Cadmium red light, Cadmium red medium, Quinacridone Magenta and Dioxazine Purple. I am very willing to
go out and buy other tubes of paint. I need a mix for the local colour, the lighter parts and of course the dark areas. I am really at a loss as the mixes are very close in value.

Thank you very muchly,
Gailhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2013/909-Red_flower.jpg

artbygail
05-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am using Acrylics.
Gail

Lady Carol
05-27-2013, 09:13 PM
It looks like a double camellia to me.

You might want to look at alizarin as well.

Vivien Maloney
05-28-2013, 03:48 AM
Its definitely a Camellia, a double one.
Yes Id try Alizarin as well, but I always begin with a few colours and add more as I need them. Those Camellia leaves are interesting to paint. Lots of thick heavy edges and high contrast.

Lea51
05-28-2013, 12:17 PM
What a beautiful flower! I've got a Quinacridone Rose that might be just what you're looking for, but I use oils, so I don't know if it's the same in acrylics. And the Alizarin would be perfect for the deep shadows, or even Quinacridone Violet. Then you could save the Cad Red Light for the highlights, if you're showing sun (of course, it doesn't actually look sunny, so you may need bluer highlights for sky reflections, as opposed to warm for sunshine...).
I'm looking forward to seeing what you paint from this!

artbygail
05-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Lady Carol, Viviane and Lea,

Thank you very much for all your advice, it has been a big help. I am off to pick up some of the colours mentioned. Painting is very slow going for me, but I usually stay with it until finished. If it turns out half decent, I will post it.

Thank you also for naming the flower for me. I just snap the photos when I see something beautiful and ask later.

Thank you again,
Gail

Avena Cash
05-31-2013, 08:15 PM
Quinacridone should give you a good main red and those cooler pinks that are most of the flower. I would mix a med. cadmium selectively into the quinacridone to warm it. You have a few rich highlights especially on the right that are almost cadmium already. --It's very warm where it catches the light so I think you would range a mix with different amounts of both reds to capture it.

(Personally i think Quinacridone Rose or Magenta are equally suitable but mix with more or less cadmium as needed to get it in between in warmth.)

Usually a purple plus the warm red and black makes a good rich dark like the ones you have in your shadows. That one large bud is a lot warmer and richer looking than the open flower.

I just painted some pale flowers blushed with violets and reds so I also have red mixes on the brain right now. I use an azo red for my cool red with cadmiums but quinacridones are perfectly good. Both are better than "true" alizarin if you don't want fading.

artbygail
06-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Thank you Avena,

I picked up those colours yesterday and anxious to give them a try as you suggested. I am still at stage of fumbling through a painting, one step ahead and two back...eventually, I get there. :wink2:
Gail