PDA

View Full Version : People selling many things in Timor Leste

Mostho
05-27-2013, 09:42 AM
People selling many things in Timor Leste

There is people like in every poor country that can sell anything: in Timor Leste what grabbed my attention was the people like this sketches I'm gonna show down this post.

And on top of that what I was really impressed that in Timor you see a lot of people that sells fish with capital F. I mean big fishes, as tall as a teenager sometimes, and a lot of fishes, and of different kinds. I also seen how they do it and sometimes it's a miracle dictated only by the need and coming from the will of survive.

http://www.broworkshop.com/sketching/wp-content/uploads/sketches-of-people-selling-everything-in-Timor-Leste-01.jpg

But since the fish is not that cheap, even from these people, and can spoil very easily, I heard from a local guy that all this fish is trashed at the end of the day. And that's a big waste: first of people are fishing big fishes in large quantities that very few people can afford. Moreover if people not buy this fish...well everything goes in the garbage (just knowing that even there people rush to get some...) and cannot back into the sea again.

Obviously people are trying to survive and they sell also fruits. Fruits here are delicious, very flavored and smelling good.In the market of Dili fresh frutis and vegetables are exquisite. The only pity is that sometimes these fruits are sold also in transparent palstic bags, so at noon you can see them like sweating inside, cooking the fruits. It's like an accelerated ripening or a slow steam cooking?
http://www.broworkshop.com/sketching/wp-content/uploads/sketches-of-people-selling-everything-in-Timor-Leste-02.jpg

Or sometimes I found some people selling smashed cardboxes, or just oging around to finid something to sell like this one.
These previoous two pictures are some sketching made with my workhorse-neverfail-winning combination Lamy Safari plus Platinum Carbon Ink.
http://www.broworkshop.com/sketching/wp-content/uploads/sketches-of-people-selling-everything-in-Timor-Leste-03.jpg

Art technically speaking I used this time the hated/loved Noodler's Ahab plus Platinum Mix Free Earth Brown. And I even used it to wash from the lines, plus Burnt Sienna to make some backgrounds.

Cheers

Helen
05-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Great sketches!

Yorky
05-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Terrific sketches.

Doug

Mostho
05-27-2013, 10:37 AM
thanks!

DrDebby
05-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Wonderful sketches of the people and items for sale.

Dragoon
05-27-2013, 04:41 PM
Very nice, and very interesting!

Are these done on the spot? I have no idea how you managed to get the form and details of someone walking, so quickly!

Keep it up!
D.

Mostho
05-28-2013, 02:26 AM
Dragoon,
yes and no.

First I tried to put down some lines, as an exercise. Just to focus on the best part.

Then I shoot some pictures on the fly, and finished details later in my room.
I have to admit that without pictures probably no more details.