shipbroker
05-27-2013, 01:01 AM
Good Morning all.

Slightly hazy sky and fewer birds today

Spring Bank Holiday Monday in Emgland no plans for us at moment

geoff

Saint Ragdoll
05-27-2013, 01:58 AM
Whew! The Ijams park trip just wore me and Beau out. He fell asleep on the way home in the car, in my arms with his head on my shoulder. Derek (DH) thought it was so cute he took pics......He usually stops every 3 seconds to sniff stuff, but this time we didnt allow this and kept telling him to "leave it" and he just powered along the very rocky and hilly trail, even pulling on the leash at first...I think he really enjoyed it, I know I did.

This quarry hasnt been used for many, many years and was abandoned for a while and of course, the East Tennessee kudzu vine and fast growing vegitation are everywhere, with stones peeking thru here and there...The old quarry and the "Key hole" part is too amazing for words, breathtaking.

It is a huge wall of natural and quarried stones, piled very high with some of the large flat stones corming a door through into the main part of the quarry. It is too overwealming to try and paint the whole Key Hole which was my mistake. The immensity, textures and scale need to be addresses in parts rather than me trying to paint the whole area ..but I did learn some things...so it wasnt a total loss art wise....

And I know I will be going back again and again this summer...and to other parts of Ijams nature center. Google it for a treat for the eyes....there are pics of the Key hole, maps etc...This is such a beautiful place and if anyone happens to be passing thru this area, I would love to show it to you. The only other place I love as much is someplace warm, further south, and as close to the Sea as I can get without drowning!!!! I have lived i San Diego, CA for a few months when I was stationed there while in the Navy...If there were any way at all to be anle to,live there I would. We have to live where my DH works......

The meds I have been taking make it difficult to get to sleep and stay asleep so here I am on the internet again...and so as to make good use of my insomnia I have been working on my paint colors, painting and drawing stuff around the house till Morpheus grants my desire...
Happy Painting, healing thoughts to those in need......

Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

New Gamboge
05-27-2013, 02:15 AM
Hi everyone - still yesterday here - I found out today I can't rely on seeing deer in the field to assume there are no bears! My cousin saw a different bear this morning, and the deer were grazing nonchantly in the same field! That makes it 4 different bears so far this year - all the years I spent growing up here, I never saw one bear. Of course that doesn't mean they weren't there, just didn't see any.

4 more muscovy ducklings arrived today - I've lost count. Betty

doppler
05-27-2013, 02:48 AM
Good evening all.

Teresa, I have been to East Tennessee. Tourists hey? :lol: I bought a skunk hand puppet at Cades Cove.:rolleyes: Your trek sounds wonderful and your area is beautiful country.

Betty, not sure how comfortable I would be with bears around. The main carnivores here are wild dogs/dingos. They don't bother humans.

Well the day is drawing to a close. Lemon coloured sunlight peeking from the western sky. Temps dropping.

Roger is out fighting back burn 'em wood from the castle extremities. He had put part of the firewood pile out to dry on the drive but Macbeths downfall has to make room for a huge bale of sugar cane mulch arriving tomorrow. :cool:

Karl, I shall certainly be whinging by the weekend by the time we have wheelbarrowed it around. Dont use the word whine here. What is your favourite wine, asked of an Aussie. I want to go to Baalllii. :lol: :heart: Hope your travels and your son do well.:crossfingers:

Darla will be flying soon :thumbsup:

Ellen too :thumbsup:

JJ, cocktails are made for recovery from the lurgy :lol:

Got to go.

Yorky
05-27-2013, 02:49 AM
Good morning all, I corrected the date ;)

Another beautiful morning here with just a few wispy clouds. Sadly we are expecting rain this evening, hope it will be gone before we take Darla to the Lakes.

Teresa, I split up your text into readable paragraphs, I find it difficult to read a solid block of text. Hope you don't mind. I hope you managed to get to sleep. The Ijams quarry is the sort of place I like having qualified as a mineral surveyor.

Well, just a little more tidying ready for Darla and Larry to arrive. We're getting excited! I'll be wearing my red jacket at the airport Darla.

PS Hi Annie :wave:

Doug

ScarletLake
05-27-2013, 05:05 AM
HI Everyone:wave: :wave: :wave:

Well yesterday's outing to the Memorial Day Dedication of the new statue went well except for getting to the nursing home and finding that Dad was not dressed and ready to go. Stepmom was upset but we had him all ready in about 20 mins and made it just in time.

Very nice sunny day out and afterwards we went to Bob Evans to eat and we all had dessert of Strawberry Shortcake.

My husband might be a computer whiz but I think he found out yesterday just how much and how fast his wife could handle putting a wheel chair together.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Our plans for today are to just RELAX. Our weather forecast for today is 60% chance of rain. I think I will get a start on the online effective writer course I am taking.

Geoff---Hope you are feeling better. Loved the photo of the walker. :lol:

Doug --Sounds like you and Darla will have a great time together.

Annie---I can't believe you have been to Cades Cove Tenn. That is one of my family favorite spots. My dad and stepmom have a summer home on Cherokee Lake in Tenn. It takes about 45 min to get to Pigeon Forge from their place.

Darla --Again have a great time. I'd be so excited that I could not sleep.

Caryl ---I just sent you a PM --yes my son arrived in Montgomery last night. I imagine that he will be on base somewhere Tuesday morning. I will probably get to talk to him today. I messed up and told him you were going to Iowa. Hope your trip goes smooth.

Hello to Char, Uschi, Gail, and everyone else to come.

Anita

painterbear
05-27-2013, 07:25 AM
Good Morning all,
It is quarter after seven in a rainy morning here in Oakwood. If it clears up later today, we'll be planting our veggies in the garden and some flowers along the walk. We bought six tomato plants (several different varieties), four sweet peppers, six eggplants (two varieties) and four salad sized cucumbers. That will pretty much fill up the spaces we have in the garden which measure 4' x 8' on one leg and 4' x 6' on the other. We are trying something different this year for the tomatoes...cages instead of poles. Maybe that will befuddle the squirrels a bit. :crossfingers:

Teresa, Sounds like a pretty full day for you and a lovely place to explore. Will check it out in a little bit. :D

Doug, I think seeing live productions of musicals can be so much fun. Glad you had a good time at the theater yesterday. Bet Darla won't have any problem spotting you, Doug, red jacket or not. What fun, another WC meet!!!!

Betty, What kind of bears are you seeing? Black bears or grizzlies??? :eek:

Annie, Love your play on words re "burn em woods" :lol: We had a Wet Canvas gathering a few years ago in Marysville, Tennessee, Lyn (Art Mom) was the host. It is the little town just outside Cade's Cove. We Wet Canvasers had a terrific time getting to know one another and painting. Larry and I took a tour of Cade's Cove and I painted one of the churches that was there. :D

Anita, Glad you were able to get your Dad together and take him to the Memorial Day dedication ceremony. :D

Caryl, The count down begins in earnest now. Hope the move goes well and the set up at your new home does too. :crossfingers:

:wave: to all who are on their way. White light to anyone who is ailing or aching and those who are caring for them.

SYL,

Sylvia

Uschi
05-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Good Morning!!

The north wind has changed to a west wind and temperatures are starting to climb up again. Bright sunshine!!

Sylvia is putting plants into the ground and I am pulling stuff out of the ground. I have started pulling out the millions of Forget-me-nots.

This morning I am planning on cooking a Goulash to be eaten on Friday when I am having DIL's parents over for dinner. There won't be any dinners at their place for at least 6 weeks since their entire kitchen is being demolished and a brand new one put in.

Table tennis in the afternoon.

Betty, :eek: :eek: :eek:

Henry, I hope Lesley enjous her company and that it isn't too much for her. Sending best wishes.

Theresa, sounds like a wonderful place. Glad you had such a good day!!

Darla, one more day :clap: :clap: :clap: Did you previously meet Doug and Ruth at one of our Ontario Meets???????

I am starving, so will :wave: to you Doug, Annie, Geoff, Anita, Sylvia and go have my breakfast.

Uschi

cloudchaser
05-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Good day to everyone,

A sunny and warm Bank holiday Monday, but very windy.

I am not a happy bunnie at the moment, feeling depressed. This is due to the fact I am laid up with a damaged back. I did it on saturday while laying a small amount of slabs for an elderly customer. I managed to complete the job but have paid for it ever since. It will be at least a week before I can return to working and I was expecting to get some customers bedding/basket plants to put in this week:( So I will be delayed doing that for them, so frustrating !!! I have been applying liberal amounts of Ibuprofen gel to the damaged area and walking like a 99 year old:lol:

Darla --I hope you and your hubbie have a fantastic time over here in the UK, there is so much to see in such a small country:thumbsup: may the sun shine on you at least once during your stay:crossfingers::lol:

(((((White light)))))) to all washers in poor health at this moment, hope you all find some relief from your troubles.

My Android tablet packed up a few days ago, it won't charge up:eek: It is exactly I year since I bought it and as you have guessed the warranty has expired!!!!:( So I will be looking to get another one when I have the funds to buy.

Hope you all have a good day, :wave:Hi to all washers yet to arrive here.

Regards
Tony.:wave:

Yorky
05-27-2013, 09:15 AM
Sorry to hear you have hurt your back Tony. In your job that's a real handicap. As I get older I get back trouble more often. Hope you can get some relief soon.

Doug

Flattwo
05-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Hi to All

Thanks for the info on the Kindle folks :thumbsup:

Uschi, Lesley's sister and co have rented an apartment not to far away, so that Lesley can get peace when needed, cheers!

Light rain and cooler here, suits me fine

Speak later

Henry

LCPainterCat
05-27-2013, 09:48 AM
To Washers, everywhere:

Hello,Washers, everywhere!

Good Morning, Good Evening, or Good Night, as the case may be. : )

Annie sez:
"Roger is out fighting back burn 'em wood from the castle extremities."

Oh, Annie, you are a source of endless delight! : )

Darla:
I think the most excited I have ever been in my entire life was on the bus trip into London from Heathrow, on my first visit to England as an adult. I remember looking out the bus window and exclaiming (silently, thank goodness!) I'm HERE! I'm REALLY in England!!!" Even the billboards for iconic English goods thrilled me.
Weather-wise: We arrived the week before this Bank Holiday. It had been a very cold spring, like the one just experienced by Doug, Geoff, et al. All the gardens were at least two weeks behind schedule,
and a killing frost had done terrible damage to the budding flowers and trees. My trip plan was highlighted by the Chelsea Flower show, which was glorious despite the chill. I'm sure that the exhibitors were in despair over the cold weather that held back their carefully planned entries, but I loved NOT being hot and sweaty as we wandered about, gazing in wonder, for hours.

After exploring historic London and close-by famous gardens, including a day I spent alone at Kew gardens (alas, the bluebells had just finished) and the thrill of visiting Windsor Castle, we set out for a cared fully scheduled tour of southeast England, where we visited countess castles, and Stately Homes and just plain houses, all with famous gardens (such as Rudyard Kippling's). AND IT WAS suddenly HOT!!!! In the 90s!!!!! No AC anywhere, and we dripped and drooped. The macintosh I had dutifully lugged around (and worn onto the plane) was never worn again after we landed.

To demonstrate how delayed that summer was, the famed Rose gardens we visited the second week had not one rose in bloom. In England. In June! There were, however, tall, creamy foxgloves and enormous, glorious, brilliant. crinkled poppies blazing hot pink, orange and crimson, in every cottage garden in the wee villages; and everywhere, those towering, gorgeous, deep blue flowering trees, whose name I forget (I think Doug has one, or lost one in a severe winter a few years ago?)

Anyway, Darla, I'd suggest buying one of those light plastic hooded ponchos in a little packet you can carry in your purse, and slip over the layers Doug advised if needed, and forget lugging the bulky real coat!

Conversely, when I was back a couple of years later for three weeks of English/Scottish/Welsh Christmas, there were flowers, especially delicate butterfly-like cyclamen, blooming away in window boxes all over London, and sheep grazing on brilliant grass in Wales (even though we did encounter a bit of falling snow there,it was decent enough for us to continue exploring Tintern Abbey and a wonderful castle ruin outdoors in the midst of the sudden feathery downfall, all by ourselves on Christmas Eve!) We had wool blazers and layers, and I did not feel cold enough to need that coat, even in Scotland for New Year's north of Edinburg, that I had again lugged around dutifully for three weeks!

I am soooo envious of you -- although in the nicest way (because I've had my chance to experience the delightful trip you'll be embarking on tomorrow! : ) I, too, met up with old (real life) friends, my generous Scots hosts who entertained me royally and took me along to all the New Year's parties for the week I was there before I returned to London for a few more days to explore the shops, the theatres (Oliver! a big hit at the time, and the perennial Mouse Trap, in a production of which, I had met my husband!) and museums, museums, museums. Heaven!

I can't wait for your pictures and trip reports!!!

Geoff:
Happy to hear that you're recovering from your tummy wobbles. Must have been a particularly nasty bug to have laid both you and Eileen so low and made you cut short your Irish adventure and feel lightheaded for so long!

Karl:
Best of luck with your tricky New Hampshire, Ohio, Baltimore schedule. I hope you will find things
of interest to enjoy in Baltimore while you wait for your son's procedure to be completed and him to be dismissed with a happy result. (Is your son's surgeon Dr. Walter Stark, by chance?)

Doug:
I am so glad you enjoyed Carousel (even with wet eyes at the end. . .) I did my senior thesis project on a (paper) production of Carousel when I was a theatre major in college -- so it has a special place in my heart. Lucky Darla to be met by YOU in your red jacket, and then to see your charming rock garden in person, as well as meeting with Geoff, Pat and Nan!

Theresa:
I was lucky enough to gather with a dozen Internet gardening pals and spouses from all around the country in a large rented "cottage" in Gatlinburg several years ago. I had also spent two H.S. years in Oak Ridge, and a college year in Knoxville, so was already familiar with the your lovely area others were exploring for the first time. Talk about a beautiful place to welcome Spring! : )

Sylvia:
I think you were planning to buy THREE tomato plants, and came home with SIX? Isn't that ALWAYS the way??? I went garden shopping with my daughter (near Philadelphia) last weekend. We went for four tomatoes and came back with eight. Then her husband arrived home from his own shopping trip with two more! LOL! Good luck with caging them this year.
We've just enjoyed a few heavenly days of lovely spring weather, but will be back into the 90s by tomorrow.
Sigh. . . .
At least the plants will be happy : )

Caryl:
Good luck with your move. I doubt you'll need it, though. You are such a whirlwind of energy and
determination, and a housekeeper extraordinaire whom I should hate to be next door neighbor to! The comparison with your perfection would be too painful. : )

To everyone who is aching and ailing and those who love them -- most especially to Leslie, who is never far from our thoughts, and to Henry: love and strength are streaming.

Here in the US, it is Memorial Day. A time of tribute to those who have given their lives in too many wars. Memorial Day used to be called Decoration Day, and it was a day to visit the graves of the fallen, and decorate them with flowers and small flags. Now it is the day when swimming pools open for the summer season, and meats are roasted over charcoal in back yard picnics; and despite the best efforts of Pubic Radio and Television and a few newspaper editorials, has become simply an excuse for a three-day holiday. I remember, though, many Decoration Days of my childhood in New Canann, Connecticut (Hi, June : ) when the day was celebrated by marching through the town in full Brownie and later, Girl Scout regalia, ending in the cemetery, where wreaths were laid and speeches made in tribute to brave men who were even then fighting for our country.

Bank Holiday or Memorial Day or just the beginning of another work week -- wherever you are in our world, be well.

Lynn/LC

Yorky
05-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Hi Lynn, your post was so newsy!

Yes, visiting a foreign country is a wonderful experience, everything is so different, I even look at things like manhole covers and fire hydrants :lol: What a wonderful trip you had.

The blue shrub is a Ceanothus (Californian Lilac) and normally it would be flowering its head off now. It is well budded and I was hoping it would open for Darla and Larry's brief visit. Yes we'll be having a mini meet on Wednesday evening.

You can't beat a live performance and the local theatre and opera groups put their heart into the performances. We love it, but that was the last performance until next October :crying:

We have now got the rain, light rain so far, I am waving it along, we want rid of it by Wednesday. :)

Doug

Scene Chaser
05-27-2013, 10:14 AM
Good Day All,

Back from Ontario. It was a lovely funeral, though in the rain. Met a lot of lovely people.

Yes, I waved to all my Canadian friends as I crossed back on the Blue Water bridge from Sarnia.

Couldn't believe how thrilled Ms. Feral was to see me. She practically danced and sang a tune. A coon had gotten in her food, so she was quite hungry. The coon is gone.

We had a frost two nights ago, so yesterday had to buy more plants. I'll not plant them until June first.

Henry, I love my Kindle PaperWhite. It's great to read with a little back lighting and I can enlarge the print to suit my failing eyes. Get one!

I'm behind on my mowing,
BBL
Bill

LynnM
05-27-2013, 10:39 AM
:wave:Good day all! Sun and warmer here, lovely day! Have been frittering away the day online, must get busy sewing.

((((JJ)))) take it easy (shaking finger icon!)

((((Tony)))) that's no fun, been there.

Annie, love 'burnem wood', took me a while to get it :)

Thanks for your comments, Uschi and Char, I quite like it from across the room :rolleyes:

Thinking of Darla......how excited she must be!

Nice to see your comments, Lynn, you sound like me when I was there the first time with my Dad, it was great that he could show me around. We had a stopover in Reading on the way to Worcester to see my aunt, and had just enough time to get a taxi and find the church my parents were married in, I'd never seen buildings covered in flint before. Fond memories.....

Gardening is beginning again here too, nice to hear all your plans. I got two geraniums which blend with my 5 year old one, just need some petunias and some trailing plants and herbs and I'm done. I hope my daughter can take me to get them next weekend.

Must get to work, have a rewarding day! :grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

olliewood0702
05-27-2013, 10:49 AM
ONE MORE SLEEP!!! Oh forgive me for shouting...I'm just so excited!:D Larry and I have been having a hard time sleeping we are so excited. We've never done anything like this before so we are nervous and excited if that is possible.

Doug, we aren't worried about the rain; we are bringing rain jackets just in case. Having it so hot isn't much fun at all as there are only so many things one can take off!;) I'd much rather have it cool; but I just hope it's not pouring. Either way, we'll enjoy ourselves I'm sure.

I'll be wearing a red jacket too Doug! Looking forward to seeing you and Ruth again.

Yes we've met Doug and Ruth before here in America. We've met Pat and Kev too at the Ontario Meet one year. And Bill (& Janet)l too as he lives here in Michigan. I"ve yet to meet Kev's wife, Chris though so looking forward to it. Actually I've met SO MANY WetCanvasers I've lost track!:thumbsup:

What a wonderful trip you described Lynn, what excitement you conveyed. I've always wanted to visit London and Scotland so this is a dream come true. I bet Josh is having a grand time with his friend in Amsterdam and Scotland.

Aww (((TONY))) a hurting back is horrible. Mine still is sore and I've been babying it; like Doug said the older you get the more often it hurts. It doesn't take much to put it out. It's just that nagging ache in the lower part that is a pain in the you know what...only a little higher.:lol:

Bill, I'm glad you had a safe trip to and from the funeral; and I bet Ms. Feral was indeed hungry. That is so sweet that she is so verbal and was scolding you for leaving her.:D We are waiting for when we return to plant most of our garden. We always don't plant until the first week in June and our garden ALWAYS surpasses our neighbor's who every year plant too early and have to re-plant many times. When will they learn?:confused:

Uschi, wow a new kitchen, that sounds wonderful. I want to update my kitchen sometime soon and we could have with the money we spent on this trip...but we wanted the trip more.:evil:

Sylvia, I hope nothing munches on your garden this year. Larry caught one of the bunnies in the live trap; but it must have been so traumatizing that he died of heart failure because he was dead when he want to check on the trap.:( He is awaiting to catch the other one; there are probably many, many more.:rolleyes:

Geoff it's a Holiday here too. Memorial Day a day for remembering our dead. I'm not sure we are doing anything special. Perhaps grilling something with the family.

Thanks Anita, we will have a great time, I'm sure.

Theresa, so you loved living in San Diego? I've heard it's lovely there. Now you're in Tennessee? My sons live in Nashville. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to the quarry...don't' you worry about snakes?

Betty, you must live in a very rural area. To see bears in the wild would be very exciting...but I'd never go out of the house!:eek:

HI there Annie and Lynn!

I hope you all enjoy your day; it's cloudy and cool here; not pretty at all.

:wave: :heart:

painterbear
05-27-2013, 11:11 AM
Hi again,

Got the flowers planted along the walk out front....scaled back quite a bit this year, but had to put some out. Took an Alive tablet to help with the back pain since we still have the veggies to plant when Larry gets back from his run. We are between showers for a little while, that's why we are rushing to get done. The ground is perfect right now, easy to dig a hole, moist when the plants go in. :D

Lynn, I remember doing the same thing when I was a little girl in Brownies and Girl Scouts. We put flags on the graves and stood at attention during the solemn ceremony. When we lived in Germany, my oldest daughter's GS troop went to one of the war memorial cemetaries in Belgium and placed flags on many of the graves too. It really made an impression on her. It's a shame we don't do more of that these days instead of the barbecues and sales. :rolleyes: No, I always planned to plant 6 tomatoes, but we got more eggplants than we planned to do. Not sure if I will have enough room to plant them all.

Uschi, We did the same thing with the kitchen remodel about 10 years ago. It is a headache, but OHHHHH is it worth it in the end. Of course, we didn't have anyone to cook goulash for us. We set up a temporary kitchen in the basement and Larry, the Loggie, had planned all kinds of easy dinners for us. :D

Kay, Before I forget again, I saved that gorgeous photo of your African Violets into my art references folder in iPhoto. Thanks for giving your permission to use it. :D

Bill, Isn't it wonderful that Ms Feral has become semi-tamed and knows you are her savior. Hmmmm, where did the raccoon go, I wonder. :angel:

Well, Larry's back from his run, so we're off to the garden shortly.

:wave: to all who were here between my visits.

SYLagain.

Sylvia

WthrLady
05-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Darla I don't know how you can STAND IT !

Good Morning all my Paletteers!

I did all the prepack work on Saturday. I re-tweeked my crap shoulder, but there isn't anything I can do about it. Isn't it amazing all that your shoulder is attached to. I swear I cannot blink without it aching.

Yesterday was for lounging at the pool and taking more magnolia photos.

This morning we took the washer and dryer to the driveway for the nice lady that wanted a new set. (shoulder arghhhh!) Today I shall pack my car and do one last load in the dishwasher and go back to the pool :D I am SOOO bored.

I have a fresh batch of cookies for Anita's son and DIL should they pop on to the base to find his check in building for tomorrow.

Packers should be here bright and early at 8am tomorrow.

Yorky
05-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Bon voyage Caryl, hope everything goes smoothly with your move.

Doug

shipbroker
05-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Well much cooler here now...not raining Darla,yet

Spent three hours in bed asleep this afternoon.....this lurgy is getting hard to shake off, assuming that it is part of same thing.

geoff

WthrLady
05-27-2013, 01:53 PM
93 and HUMID!

I got to meet Justin and his wife Megan and their Chahuahua OTIS! (Anitia's (ScarlettLake) son and wife)

:) I handed him a dozen homemade cookies and sent them off to Dreamland and the Riverfront for a nice lunch :D

SWEET little family :D Anita I KNOW you're proud of them :D

Uschi
05-27-2013, 01:57 PM
O.K., so I want just a teeny weeny bit of that north wind back, it's already getting too hot for me:lol: :lol:

The trouble with this coulash cooking is that it needs to cook for three hours and in order for it to get that perfect gravy one needs to just add little bis of water at the time, lid slightly off so it can evaporate and it needs to stick to the point of almost burning, then scrappe the bottom with the wooden spoon and let it "sit down" again. Means I have to stay near it for 3 hours so the "sitting down" doesn't turn into "burnt".

I had to turn it off for a while so I could go to the library and get a book to read while I am babysitting the darn goulash:) So that is what I'll do for another hour until I go and "play".

Geoff, just remember all of our WC friends who had the same thing, they too felt it was very hard to shake off. At least you are catching up on lots of lost sleep;)

Caryl, I hope you'll have an easy and most successful move and that the house on the other end is wonderful!!!!

Sylvia, their klitchen is absolutely awful right now. They bought this house in fall, was built in 1885 or thereabouts and I am sure that kitchen is at least 60 years old if not more and EVERYTHING is worn out.

Darla, YUP!!! tomorrow morning is the start of your dream vacation!!!:clap: :clap:

Bill, oh how cute she is!!!!!! Didn't take long for the thief to get caught:thumbsup: There was no rain at this end of Ontario.

Tony, I am so sorry your back is giving you such trouble, I hope it heals VERY quickly. Yes, I think aging definitely has something to do with all of our aches and pains. Isn't that part of the joy of aging, having plenty of conversation topics when we meet someone on the street, all about aches and pains:D

O.K. time for another good stir of the goulash, which by the way in Austria is called Gulasch.

:wave: Uschi

LynnM
05-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Sounds delicious, Uschi! I hope they appreciate all your work :) I am babysitting my wild rice, takes forever to cook, but nothing like your goulash.

How great is that, Caryl, meeting Anita's son and family, this Wet Canvas community has a long reach!

Lovely violets, Kay, I think they will be turning up in several paintings down the road! I hope your head is better ((()))

ScarletLake
05-27-2013, 02:13 PM
HI

I just wanted to let our WC family know that Caryl met my son Justin and his wife Megan and OTIS (Chocolate Lab).

Caryl sent me a message earlier that she had baked cookies yesterday and directions to her house. I gave Justin the info today and I think he worries about me finding friends on the internet. LOL

Anyway he said that he had to go check in at the base and would look Caryl up and he did.

He said she had recommended a great place for lunch and they were on the way and that the cookies were just wonderful.

Caryl can't Thank You enough for your hospitality. I know you had much going on yourself with your move and to take the time out to Welcome them to the base was much appreciated.

Our WC world has far reaching friendships.

Everyone enjoy your day

Anita

Flattwo
05-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Hi to All

All quiet here now, the hoards have gone, busy week for Lesley coming up.

Darla, enjoy your trip to the UK, I just wish I had the time to meet up with you, when exactly are you in Scotland?

Bill, I do believe I will buy the paperwhite...cheers

Henry

shipbroker
05-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Nice post Anita.....nice thoughts Caryl.....

I have lots of faith in 'us' as a group although I know many would doubt its value.....

geoff

Uschi
05-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Cary and Anita, that is just plain WONDERFUL!!!!!!!

Geoff, count me in when it comes to appreciating this group!!

I am off, right now:)

:wave: Uschi

FLNH
05-27-2013, 03:59 PM
A beautiful day on the Lake.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and encouragement . Lynn, Dr. Stark is not the surgeon.

Caryl, have a safe journey.

Darla, I know you will have a wonderful time.

HAWLTAIN.

LCPainterCat
05-27-2013, 04:05 PM
Henry,

I'm glad you've decided on the Kindle Paperwhite. I have just researched them carefully, and on Thursday ordered one as a gift of appreciation for our Citizens' Association president, who has put in way above and beyond the call of duty in three years of leadership and service on that volunteer job.

My own Kindle is the grey one that came out a few years ago, and I would vastly prefer the Paperwhite. : )

Does Lesley have definite appointments next week?
Hope so . . . You have both been more than patient through what must seem like endless delays!

Keeping you both in our thoughts-

Lynn/LC

New Gamboge
05-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Hi again - yes, we live in the country, at the foot of a "mountain" - it's called Cobble Hill Mountain, but it is really just a large hill, so wild animals have a lot of space to roam. Annie, I agree, even 1 bear is too many, we could call the conservation officer, but as there is only 1 for Vancouver Island and because we live where we do and so far the bears are not endangering us, it is extremely unlikely anyone would do anything about it.

They are black bears, not grizzlies, we haven't had grizzlies on the south part of the Island, although there have been reports of the occasional one up around Campbell River - they can swim from the mainland to islands, then over here. Don't want any here!

Last night, before dark, we had 2 does and a young buck chasing each other around in my cousin's field - the does started it and the buck joined in.

Rainy day today, but good for the garden. Betty

JudyL
05-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Hi :wave:
Awww I have memories of Kew Garden really wanted to go there when I returned to the UK after a month in Sacramento, (I know I've told this story before but it really made an impression on me) I left Sac (Elk Grove) it was 107F when I got to London it was 83F and people were dropping like flies! (Ok it was July) but the humidity :crying: sadly we did go to Kew OMG :eek:

I am on the verge of calling DD to get out of here! Going nutz, and they were away yesterday.

bbl

CharM
05-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Nice post Anita.....nice thoughts Caryl.....

I have lots of faith in 'us' as a group although I know many would doubt its value.....

geoff

Geoff, we've made some very strong friendships resulting from this very group! I'm so thankful and grateful for the support and kindness we experience here. What a nice thing to do, Caryl! Makes you feel pretty good, eh, Anita?! :)

Hi everyone! I'm so late checking in. It's been a busy teaching day... and I had some other cleaning stuff that needed doing (yes it did, Uschi... :) ).

The day dawned bright and warm, but cooler air has moved in and the rain is coming. I hope.

I can't respond to everyone because I need to get dinner ready... Magoo has stopped and will join us.

But, I want to wish a grand Bon Voyage to Darla! :clap:

((Tony)) I hope your back is feeling better...

Henry, it's so nice for Lesley that her family is visiting. And, how thoughtful of them that they've rented an apartment.

Uschi, I've never made or eaten Gulasch... what's in it?

Ms. Feral's a smart kitty-lady, Bill...

Time to shut down the computer... perhaps I'll be back later this evening... :wave:

p.s. Annie, the biggest news item about dingoes was the one that stole baby Azaria Chamberlain way back *when*...

kaypainter
05-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Hi all,

Not sure anyone will see this post so late, but I wanted to wish Darla and Larry a Bon Voyage!!

Just came back from a birthday lunch with my two friends who live in the building, one of whom is moving to Boston. The other friend treated us as we both have May birthdays. I am going to miss our get togethers. Kinda depressed about that. Still trying to decide what to do on the actual day of my birthday. I could go to Catalina again, but I just can't decide. Thought of driving up to Santa Barbara, or maybe down to one of the beach communities south of here. Or I could go to the Arboretum or . . . Sigh

Later all

HAWLTAIN

Kay

shipbroker
05-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Light rain and cooler here too Doug, my remaing ceanothus is budding too but some branches are dead.... not the hardiest shrub as we have both found.

Lynn liked your newsy piece above. Perceptions of weather.....2 years ago in September we were in Alaska and had taken cold weather tops........ nobody had said that Alaska was the second wettest place on the planet and that we would wear raincoats on every shore visit! Wittier was worst although the sun shone in Anchorage.

Goodnight all

geoff

Undergoose
05-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Hi all. :)

Not much going on here today, a nap, some random painting. Weather was great over the weekend, just perfect. Turning back to a humid mess this week again. Almost out of here.

*huffs fingernails and rubs on shirt*

I'll have you all notice that I'm now a senior member, just turned. Do I get some sort of discount at the buffet?

You'll have to type a little louder when you respond, I left my hearing aid at home with the Geritol. :p

villagernb
05-27-2013, 09:29 PM
Watch the jokes about the elderly, Karl!

A few of us here resemble those remarks. :lol:

Anne

painterbear
05-27-2013, 10:01 PM
And some of us are certainly a bit older than you, young man! :angel:

Bon Voyage to Darla and Larry! Happy flight and smooth landing. :D

Kay, Hope you finally decide on a special way to celebrate your birthday. If it is in May, it must be coming up this week, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY in advance. :heart:

Caryl, What a nice thing to do for Anita's son and his wife. Maybe you've helped settle his concerns about the people his Mom meets on line. :lol: Happy moving day.

Ditto to what Char and Geoff said about the friendships we've made through our daily chats here in the Wash. Whenever we are lucky enough to meet in person, it isn't as strangers but as old friends. :grouphug:

I'm off to bed now. Tomorrow I am going to start a 3-day workshop with Diane Coyle. Tell you more once I see what we will be doing.

:wave: to all.

SYTomorrow.

Sylvia

Undergoose
05-27-2013, 10:03 PM
I was kinda hoping I could sneak that jibe in there. :p

I'll probably get kicked off the site when I reach the next rank. hehe

Lulu
05-28-2013, 01:27 AM
I was kinda hoping I could sneak that jibe in there. :p

haha :p
You're a breath of fresh air Karl! I like your humour:thumbsup:

Yorky
05-28-2013, 02:46 AM
We like a bit of humour Karl. Have a good trip.

Happy upcoming birthday Kay.

Doug