PDA

View Full Version : The Blue Bottle

Mikey
09-12-2003, 06:42 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-12-2003/28043_blue-bottle-jar_small.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Blue Bottle
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12x16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I was taking a sideways glance at Morandi here. True, it's my own style, not his flatter approach. The objects were positioned to form a curve. Maybe I could get a more intense blue violet by using Zinc White mixer, or glazing over an underpainting. The reflections and shapes in this blue bottle were near enough impossible for me in any case.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Technique apart I'd like to see a bit more life in this painting, but keeping the simplicity without flowers, or adornment.

Any comments welcome.

mattlart
09-12-2003, 10:04 AM
First,..Mikey,.I'd like to begin by saying that I'm in love with the way you've painted the ...crockery!!!!:)

Beautiful.

You already have said that you are having problems with the tall cobalt vase/bottle. You'll probably need to......tinker.

There is ALOT of backround here. In order to pull off that much surface area around the bottles;..I think that you may need to make it much more interesting,..or crop it.

Or both..preferably.
To me,..this painting BEGS for a darker,..more "classical" rich backround composed of various mixtures of burnt Umber,..alizaren red,.burnt sienna,..and ultramarine blue,...as one example of a complex mixture of colors creating an interesting dark backdrop for those beautifully rendered objects.

As for me,..when I get confused or stumped as to where the problem may be in my painting,..I look to,..and study those paintings by my favorite 'master' painters;..of similar subjects,....and see what THEY have done to make their's work so well.

If you decide to try-this-out,..you might want to look at David Leffel's still lifes;........although IMO,..he paints too many of them that are too similar to one another;...he's certainly got the "backrounds" DOWN to a science.

For now;..you've got the start of something superb. If you have the desire;.keep refining it,...and I think that you'll surprise yourself with quite the masterpiece. ;) Cheers,-Scott