PDA

View Full Version : *** Daily Wash Sunday 26th May 2013 ***

Yorky
05-26-2013, 01:27 AM
Good morning all, still abed!

Last night's performance of Carousel was outstanding. There was an enormous cast of around 40 including children and the singing was superb. Ruth remarked the amateurs wouldn't have been out of place on a London stage.

Everyone was in tears at the end due to the sad story.

Not long now Darla. Sadly though the weather is lovely at the moment it will be very changeable when you are here so a brolly would be good insurance.

Doug

shipbroker
05-26-2013, 02:28 AM
Morning Doug, and following....

A touch of 'Oh what a beautiful morning ' wouldnt go amiss here either, after a cold moonlit night Darla, one of my non-internet friends rang from Scotland last night and Aberdeen was one of the warmest places in the UK yesterday.

We had our first proper meal for a week last night so hopefully most of the lurgy has passed now.

Today am of to Thirsk car boot sale to look for a few more plants then a day in the garden before tomorrows forecast rain.

geoff

doppler
05-26-2013, 04:00 AM
Good evening Doug and Geoff and all to follow.

Darla, whatever the weather you and Larry will have the BEST time. Bon voyage.:heart:

Also to Ellen :heart: Don't get too sunburned.

It was warm today, a day spent in the garden. Still in tee shirt sleeves.

OK I also pulled out Mr Dyson and made a round of the square house too this morning. Last I saw of Bo was a brisk trot away from the cat sucking robot. He emerged in the afternoon, went in and was shut in, as was Loki who spent the day leaping into dizzying and quite neurotic human heights in the jacarandas. YOU CANNOT STAND ON LEAVES? I don't care what the birds do. :eek:

We then brought another scary monster into the garden, this time.The CAT chipper, according to them. Actually branch and tree dahlia chipper. Big mechanical noisy thing. We made a huge pile of compost today.

It was a lovely day.

shipbroker
05-26-2013, 05:01 AM
Almost tropical here with sweat rolling down my face......Oh the joys of 17C!
Been to the car boot and bought some more Surfinias

Doug....When the two scooters of Ruth are 'mated'...will they look like this one??

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2013/84585-quad.jpg

One of those 'saw this and thought of you moments'...sorry!

rgds

geoff

Yorky
05-26-2013, 05:17 AM
LOL Geoff. Cracking the flags here now, hope it lasts :crossfingers:

Doug

doppler
05-26-2013, 05:24 AM
What sort of motor is that Geoff ?

shipbroker
05-26-2013, 06:10 AM
All terrain Zimmer I think Annie!

Flag cracking here too Doug and warner than yesterday, have cone inside to cool down as far too hot to cut grass

geoff

Lulu
05-26-2013, 07:15 AM
Hi everyone, nice day here too, sunny and got to 20C.

Am currently downloading my PSE again, lost it in my 'puter crash. I had a stab at my Adobe password and got in! so then it was just a matter of looking up my account which already had my purchase record and the ID # so easy to download it again. This time I will also save it to my external harddrive.

Finally feel as if I've recovered from our trip, we've been home 2 weeks now, feels like 6! Am still sleeping plenty (9-10 hours) at night. It wasn't so much jet-lag as exhaustion from being on the go so much. We loved it all though, wouldn't have changed a thing. Was so much more than a holiday.......
Yes, Uschi, skyping is certainly different now. Unfortunately the children don't interact so well with skyping, it's easier to do that in person, so we'll be going back.......
Anita, the food was middle eastern style mostly, very yummy, and healthy.

John is recovering well from his cold now. His really was much worse than mine :heart: I suspect it included exhaustion as well.....

The cats are fast asleep, and so must I be soon too.
Just in case I don't get back before Darla leaves ..have a fabulous time! I am 200% sure that you will! Don't worry about the weather, just enjoy it all, and give everyone a big hug from me! :grouphug:

ps Annie, the cats brought IN a scary monster tonight - a mouse!:eek: they think they are so clever........

painterbear
05-26-2013, 07:32 AM
Good Morning all,
It is almost 7:30 a.m. on a sunny, but cool, morning here in Oakwood. Loving the Spring temps we are enjoying at the moment.

Larry and I will go grocery shopping this morning...we're out of fresh fruits, so need to restock those as well as fresh veggies. Plan to get some bicolor corn on the cob from Florida to have with dinner tomorrow on Memorial Day.

THEN, we are going to the nursery to buy our veggies for the garden...tomatoes (a couple of varieties); peppers; and Japanese-type eggplant (which are the same kind they use in Turkey, long rather than pear shaped like the Italian ones). I've already planted garlic, swiss chard, parsley, and lettuce and they are growing nicely. :D Will plant cucumber seeds when it gets a bit warmer. Then the annual battle with the squirrels will begin in earnest. :mad:

My eye is doing well, the floater has disappeared from view as the opthamologist said it would, thank heavens, it was so annoying. :rolleyes:

Larry tried out his new $20 weed wacker and said it worked fine, but it didn't have enough power. That meant it took too long to accomplish the task. That's a shame, I was hoping it would be good and he wouldn't have to try to find another one.

Geoff, :D that's quite a zimmer frame you've got there...looks like you could climb hills easily with it. ;)

Lulu, I agree with you about Middle Eastern foods being yummy. That's why I took some instruction from Turkish friends while we were stationed there and I still use their recipes to this day. Larry and I are big fans of that kind of cuisine. :D Glad you are getting back to your normal routine. You did do a LOT while you were there.

Darla, Have a safe and happy trip. Looking forward to your reports and photos when you return.

:wave: to all who were here before me, gotta go now and get breakfast started. We're having bacon butties on Thomas English Muffins this morning. :D

SYL,

Sylvia

FLNH
05-26-2013, 09:04 AM
I suffer from the "Daily Wash Paradox": when things are OK, my life is boring and don't want to regale you with my trivia; when things are less rosy, I don't feel like writing. The paradox is also that I find the trivia of your lives interesting and I empathize with the difficulties.

Although my life situation is a fortunate one, the past several weeks have been difficult. We are now on the lake in NH which we love; the 1700 mile drive here was more taxing than usual.

My adult son has to have eye surgery. Fortunately, I have a friend at Johns Hopkins where I trained who has experience with this type of procedure. My son does not fly and I will drive him to Baltimore..about 8 hours. Assuming I can get to Ohio from here on time. For complicated scheduling reasons, he and I will be in Baltimore for over two weeks...his DW and DD in Ohio and my wife in NH. Not fun.

I always paint indoors in my "studio" and need a lot of time. It has been so hectic, I just haven't done so. I am going to take a few paints to Baltimore and perhaps I can paint a little in the hotel but it is way out of my comfort zone. This sounds so trivial, but I need to be in the right mental space to paint.

Sorry for the whining (or whingeing..a word I had never heard of until WC) :D

I do follow the Wash daily and it helps bring a sense of reality. I smile at your happiness and "feel" with the difficulties which we all face at some time or other.

Thank you

LynnM
05-26-2013, 09:26 AM
:wave: Good day all! Sounds like nice weather all round. Same here, sun, birds chirping, wind has gone down and should be warmer than yesterday, I still needed a jacket to get my groceries.

I finally finished my challenge painting, it's posted here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19632983&postcount=108) in the Studio. Really feels good to actually finish something, although I am not too happy with the edges...did the background first and there's some ugly overlaps. It looks like what I wanted from a distance though :lol:

(((Karl))) I hope you make the connections you need to get there in time, sounds complicated. I quite understand about the need for time to paint, happens to me too.

I'm glad your eye settled down, Sylvia, quite a worry, especially for an artist, it would scare the heck out of me!

Glad you mentioned the PSE, Lulu, I had the same problem when I migrated to the new computer, maybe I can do the same thing. Although my purchase was a long time ago..... Good that John is over his illness, travelling is exhausting.

Love that photo, Geoff! too hot there??? that's our mild spring weather :rolleyes:

Doug, I'd love to see Carousel again.....we had a theatre in the Park, Under the Stars, Stanley Park in Vancouver, and we went often.

Hi Annie, and all to come, hope you enjoy the day! :grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

GramPat
05-26-2013, 09:37 AM
Good morning all!

About 50 F here in town; the skies are clear and we are to have good weather for the next couple of days. I have a craft show in Boalsburg tomorrow morning. I have always done pretty well there and hope to have another good day. Boalsburg's claim to fame is that it is the birth place of Memorial Day. Big doings for the weekend. Sylvia and Larry should remember what all goes on here. We have Civil War encampments, people who walk around in period clothes, lots of crafts and food. We usually get about 10,000 people in. My booth is just 2 up from the pie booth. There is always a line of people waiting for a slice of pie or to buy a whole one. I have to exercise a lot of restraint, but they do look good.

I had my injection on Wednesday and I will say that it was every bit as painful as I had imagined. They had to go thru the tail bone with guided imagery. I am feeling discomfort in my hips down through my heels this morning. Took my meds and hoping that they will kick in soon. I have to get my car loaded to take to my friend,s home, as we share a space. Not looking forward to getting packed though, but I am sure that tomorrow will be better. (I think that falling asleep on the couch last night for 3 hours has something to do with today's pain) Also, you would think that someone with a bad back would have picked something lighter than painting on glass. But it does help pay the bills.

I have a 6 slate plaques to finish painting today and 40 pieces of ribbon to cut for the bookmarks that I made. THEN I can do my watercolor that I am working on. I have a rose that I am painting for the elderly woman that I care for. I think that I will scale it down a bit and make some cards to have on hand as well.

WooHooo! John Wayne movies all weekend! I love it! Brings back good memories of watching them with my Dad.

My crew had me up about 6 this morning to tell me that they were STARVING!
Now everyone is sleeping in their patches of sun puddles. Isis was quite the talker yesterday. She was telling me something and followed me around all day. Something was important. This morning when I got up my rug by the bed was gone. When I pulled it out after they were fed, the girls were laying on it washing themselves. Guess they don't like the cold wood either.

Geoff, that is some ATV in that picture. I got a good chuckle from that. Thanks for posting.

JJ, wish you were feeling better.

Darla, I hope you have a great time.

Anne, I love your cat stories. My guys think that my coffee grinder is going to abduct them. The faces! Ears back, wide eyes, and they can run as though they have a rocket strapped to their backs.

Yorky, glad that you and Ruth enjoyed Carousel. Quite a large cast.

Well, guess I should start to pack my car. Not looking forward to it. Wish me luck for tomorrow. Will look back in later. Hope that everyone has a good day.

Hugs for now,
Pat

ScarletLake
05-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Sunday lazy morning to everyone

Just getting myself up and going today. It is going to be in the mid 60's today so not too warm here.

I am planning on getting my Dad out today and bringing him to a Veterans Memorial dedication of a new statue being dedicated today. He was in the Army and served in the Korea war. I thought it would be something he might enjoy and then we will have lunch afterwards.

Wishing everyone a great Memorial Day weekend. Just looked at out weather for Monday and a 60% chance of rain. We grilled out last night.

I would imagine that Darla is on her way. Can't wait to hear all about their trip.

Well off to get started.

Anita

janinco
05-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Stopping by to say hi from thawing Colorado. We've hit the 80s this week and the snow on the mountains will be melting over the next few weeks.

I try to keep up with reading the posts here. Darla, I can't wait to see your trip photos! Doug, my daughter met her future husband when they were in the cast of a community production of Carousel. She's turned out to be a real-life "Mrs. Snow" with five stair-step kids in tow :-)

We're planning to go trout fishing today. My husband prefers going after a big bass instead, but since leaving the Midwest we haven't seen many of those!

Here's a shot of Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak that I took while running errands. I never get tired of the scenery here!

Jan

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2013/964887-PikesPeakLR.jpg

LynnM
05-26-2013, 10:33 AM
How gorgeous, Jan, wonderful to see that every day!

You are very busy, Pat, good that the injection went as it should, I hope it helps. and good luck with your sale!

Hi Anita!

Yorky
05-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Beautiful view Jan, I have just been exploring it on Streetview.

Doug

CharM
05-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Good morning from a very sunny but cool SW Ontario... our temperature is on the rise, though, and it's already 14C...

While I planned to just get my laundry out of the way yesterday, I ended up baking my bread, a few dozen cookies and then taking apart the laptop in the hope of prolonging its life... :)

Well... that was an adventure to say the least. No shortage of itty bitty screws... and you can't just undo them and remove the back. The screen and keyboard have to come off too... Well, I wasn't willing to go quite that far, but did manage to vacuum out lots of gunk... So, today, it still thinks my little usb cordless mouse isn't working (it is, oddly enough), my battery needs replacing (charged to 100%) and the fan isn't cooling it... the end is near. The machine is clean, though! :lol:

I went to my Aunt's Birthday Party last evening after collecting my Mother to come along. The meal was nothing short of gross (restaurant *food*), but the family visit was nice.

Ted and Rick finished installing the new floor in our trailer. It's not the perfect solution, but it's more solid and stable. The men went out for supper and then Rick left for home...

Today, I'm washing up all the linens from the trailer and cleaning my cupboards there. Of course, the floors here in the house could use a good shoveling, too...

At some point, I'll get the background finished on my Challenge painting so I can get that posted...

Glad you and Ruth had such a nice time at the performance of Carousel, Doug! Do you think that an umbrella might be a tad difficult to get through airport security?

It's been a nasty week for you and Eileen, Geoff... so good to finally be on the mend... :lol: walker!

:lol: at the thought of our cats wondering how we stand on leaves, Annie! :lol: Mr. Dyson should make an appearance here, too...

Well done on getting your PSE back, Lulu! It really does take some time to get back to normal, eh? Glad that John's starting to improve, too...

Sylvia, your floater disappeared quickly... such a good thing... We've been eating lettuce from the garden already because it was under one of the cold frame domes that Ted built over our raised beds.

((Karl et al)) You DO have a complicated couple of weeks ahead of you...

Your fuchsias are absolutely lovely, Lynn... I really like that deep violet.

((Pat)) I hope your pain eases quickly... I loved the thought of sun puddles. :)

Anita, I'm sure your Dad will enjoy his outing!

What a beautiful view Jan!

I've dawdled long enough and should get some stuff done... have a wonderful Sunday everyone. :heart:

Strawberry Wine
05-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Good Day Washers from a sunny but still chilly Island Grove. 6 C at 8:00 a.m. Supposed to start warming on Tuesday so I will be able to finish off my veggie planting as well as the rest of my annual flowers. I started Canna lilies in early March and they are about 2 feet tall and more than ready to go into the garden.

Wishing you a fabulous holiday Darla and Larry !!!! As Lulu said, you most likely will be having cooler and wetter weather than what we are used to in June. Hope you have lots of sunny days though. Wear your heaviest clothes in layers to the airport and boarding the plane so it will not take up space and weight in you suitcases. Take tons of photos.

I have laundry on the go and a ton of stuff to do outside so :wave: to all

Cheers,

Gail

villagernb
05-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Good afternoon, Washers.

The sun is out today for the first time in (too many!) days. So long, I can't remember how many days it has been! It is also VERY windy, as usual. Instead of walking I have a flower bed to weed--on the past few rainy days my DH and I visited our only locally-owned plant nursery and loaded up on .99 perennials in 2.5 inch pots to fill in all the empty spots in the garden caused by winter-kill, deer eating and last summer's slug damage.:eek:
We live in hope that this year will be better!

Karl, I hope that your son's surgery brings a good result.
I know what you mean about feeling that your happy days are uninteresting to others, and your misery isn't something you wish to "talk" about.
I find that sharing all of those experiences is what is so special about The Wash; Enjoying the day-to-day triumphs, (big and small), and providing moral support through life's inevitable sorrows (from smoking lawn mowers to loved-ones illnesses and everything in between!)

Hope the travellers are enjoying their adventures.

And hope the sick are feeling better.:)

Cheers
Anne

WthrLady
05-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Good Morning all my washer buddies. :)

Glad to see the ill are feeling less lurgy.

Happy Trails to our travelers. I LOVE hearing about the adventures and seeing all the photos! Keep them coming!

Henry and Les (((sending hugs everyday)))

===========
I spent 12 hours yesterday taking the whole house apart. All the wall hangings are stacked by size in the corner of the living room. All of the dustables are stacked on the kitchen counter. All of the chemicals have been gifted to neighbors that are staying here. DH and I each have our piles ready for the car. I am so sore, I couldn't sleep last night. That and the house acoustics are all wrond with no carpets or wall hangings. This time next week I'll be putting the next place together.

Weather over 92 and humid, but at least it will be not raining. HOT but not wet! I'll take it.

We leave Friday morning for Cape G in Missouri, then off to Lincoln Saturday. Internet will be off here Monday night, but I'll still have 4G for reading and pestering!

Uschi
05-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Still Good Morning!!!!

Like yesterday, not a cloud in the sky, the North Wind:eek: prevails keeping the temperature coolish. I think we are going up to 18C today.

For my bit of uninteresting news:lol: :lol: I did cut the lawn yesterday, again could barely make it through. Remember last fall I reseeded patches of the lawn that the drought and slugs killed, well, the seeds did a great job, the grass is thick BUT it grows at a different rate than the old grass and is lighter in colour, oh well, it's all green.

By the way, somepne told me, and I don't think the info came from here, to put some dishwashing liquid into the watering can and water the grass that way during the time the grubs start eating the grass. I think end of July. Seems it does something to their skin????????????

Called my friend Rita in the late afternoon to find out she is in deep depression, massive sadness, over her father's death, to the point where she just sits and cries all day. So went over there to hug her and before long we were engrossed in avid conversation:thumbsup: At least a couple of hours break from the tears.

Once again I reached the time of the last unmentionable in the drawer so my monthly laundry is in progress while I read the newspaper and post here in between loads.

That reminds me, Tshirts have to be fished out of the dryer so I don't have to iron them.

BBL
Uschi

shipbroker
05-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Jan..beautiful scenery, envious of that and the trout fishing....too warm for them here at moment......

A few Simpsons clouds scudding into the area now, after cutting the lawn and having a bowl of soup I was exhausted, by the heat, and have done nothing else but listen to the F1 GP on the radio and read a couple of the Sunday papers, Had planned to do some planting this afternoon ready for the rains tomorrow but that is going to wait now...

Perhaps back in later

geoff

Uschi
05-26-2013, 12:45 PM
Geoff, yes, don't force it!! Funny picture!!

Caryl, yes, a lot of work but quite exciting, isn't it!!!! Ca't wait for all the news in the new place.

Char, well, if there is nothing else to clean why not attack the computer:evil: :lol: Actually I did vacum the old computer but with this newer version I don't know how to open it. Will have to wait until something goes wrong and techi son has to open it and then I know and techi son will be disgusted:o :lol:

Anne, you are courageous planting more perennials knowing that deer is visiting your garden.

Jan, absolutely gorgeous scenery and the colours are soooo clean!!!

Anita, I am sure your dad will just love being taken out, you are a good daughter!!!

Pat, I truly hope the injection will eventually clear all of your pain, in the meantime (((()))) and :crossfingers: :crossfingers: for the sale!!

Karl, between your parents, your son, and your migration you have done a lot of travelling lately. I too have to be in the mood for painting and the mood would not strike me if I had to keep unpacking my art materials.

Lynn, your Fuchsias look lovely, remember, put a mat and a piece of glass in front, instant beautifulcation:lol:

Sylvia, so glad your eye is O.K. you must be very relieved. Looking forward to reading about your daily warfare with the rats with the furry tail:evil: :D

Lulu, of course you are going back, just give yourself enough time to recouperate from the last time:D

Annie, my place could do with a visit from Mr. Dyson:rolleyes:

Kay, I hope that Esme is doing O.K. Poor Esme and poor you for having to deal with all of these injections.

Doug, I have never seen Carousel, haven't seen it being performed anywhere around here either. Wonderful that you enjoyed it so much!!

Hi Gail, happy planting!!!

O.K. next load is ready to come out of the dryer.

:wave: Uschi

olliewood0702
05-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Hello Everyone,

We are all packed.:thumbsup: We leave on Tuesday, Anita.

Thanks for all the good wishes; I'm sure no matter the weather we'll have a FABULOUS time. I promise to take lots of pictures.

LuLu,:lol: Josh says its so interesting watching them drive; and so fast too! We haven't heard much from him though; hopefully he got some rest. We don't meet up with him in Scotland until the 4th of June. We will be in England until then.

Uschi, what a great thing you did for your friend; it's so tough losing a parent for the first time. I will lay awake at night thinking about my Dad and knowing that in this life I wont' be able to talk to him anymore. Your visit at least gave her a sense of life going on. You're a special friend.

They are saying that there is a huge percentage of bridges and overpasses that are crumbling here in America. After the last few accidents it's scary driving over them. I see a lot of damage on some of the overpasses around here and I think of them collapsing everytime I drive over them. They wrote about it in the papers way back in 2009 when that bridge in Minneapolis collapsed but nothing ever gets done.:rolleyes: :confused:

I'm really excited about the train trips we will be taking; I've only gone on little touristy train rides. It should be fun. I'm not real sure about the high speed one we are taking into Paris though..that one might be a bit scary.:D

It's a gorgeous sunny day here but cool at 60F. Nothing much planned; I don't know if we'll see the girls or not today. If not I'm sure we'll see them tomorrow.

Our refrigerator is empty and when we get back we'll need to re-stock. I wanted to use up what was in there and we did a pretty good job.

We picked up our British pounds yesterday from the Credit Union. It is very pretty money.:D

I hope you all have a great Sunday and for those who have a Holiday tomorrow; a GREAT HOLIDAY to you all.

I probably will drop in tomorrow and in the morning if I have time on Tuesday before we leave.:wave: :heart:

GramPat
05-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Well, I got the car packed and took my things to Susan's house. We emptied the car and now all I have to do is finish the 6 plaques and put the ribbon on the bookmarks. Then I can say, "DONE!" Have to get there by 6 AM so that I have a parking space. Why is it that people don't think that handicapped spaces are needed on the weekends and holidays? The one at the bank is only 2 blocks away from Susan's and if I don't back in I will get parked in and not able to open my door. Just a pet peeve........the other one is when people are too lazy to walk their shopping carts to the space provided and they will just put them in the handicapped because it is empty...What is up with that? Okay....I am done.

I have a quart+ of yogurt straining for Greek yogurt. I heated another quart+ started and it is now fermenting nicely. Got some beautiful strawberries on Friday and finished what I had yesterday. So I will be able to have a nice snack tonight before bed. My Grandson loves my yogurt and when he is here I am making some every other day or so.......Grandma approved snacks;)

I think that I take a break a bit later and so some sketching. I see that my neighbor's irises are starting to bloom. I can hear them calling me. Guess that I should get my "cat sucker" (Dyson)for a spin as well. I just got it a couple o weeks ago and LOVE it! It is lighter than my Kirby and does a fantastic job! Makes me wonder what the Kirby was picking up if anything. Also, the Dyson is much quieter than the Kirby, so the cats don't completely disappear and are more willing to make an appearance a few minutes after I am finished.

Karl, I understand what you are feeling. I have been there many, many times. Just take a deep breath and be gentle with yourself. I do find that once I am sketching and painting, my pain, cares, worries and stress just seem to disappear and time doesn't drag by.

Caryl, can't believe that the time is now ready for you to move. WhooHooo! By the way........did you post any more pics of the magnolias? Just wondering; they were bigger than any I have seen.

Ushi, I am so sorry about your friend's depression. (((((()))))) I heard that about dish liquid. It is supposed to work. I haven't tried it, but I have heard...

Jan, loved the pic. I like to fish myself. Trout, perch, bass, sunnies...... anything that will bite.

I wish that everyone has a good time in their gardens, reading the paper, painting or whatever they are doing. Safe traveling to those on the road. Take time to see the flowers,, clouds, etc. Everyday is a gift.

Hugs,
Pat

NancyR
05-26-2013, 01:57 PM
We had rain again last night, but sun is finally shining here in Plano. I am back among the living. I guess I just pushed myself too hard prior to our trip and during our trip. The Tylenol are finally working to ease the pain. The only chair that I can sit on is a solid wood dining chair from Ikea. I do not know what I will be able to sit on at work.

Pat, my shot will be on Thursday. I am not looking forward to it, but I need to get the nerves settled down a bit. My fun days of moving bricks and rocks are over. :(

Caryl, I know that you must be excited about the upcoming move. I think you will like the weather better in the Midwest. I could never live in Florida again.

JJ, Listen to your body and get well soon.

Uschi, What a wonderful thing to help your friend with her depression.

Jan, I love the scenery in that area, but I do not like driving the roads. I have lived too long in flat country. The Garden of the Gods is magnificent.

Anita, I hope that you and your father have a wonderful day.

Hi, to Bill, Geoff, Henry, Annie, and Lulu. Got to get myself in gear to go visit my mother.

kaypainter
05-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Both my African violets are in bloom! Started from one leaf each. Enjoy. Paint. I have a headache.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2013/130068-IMG_2052.jpeg

Henry I love Hokusai and many of the other Japanese wood block artists. I think I have seen that book it is beautiful. (((())))for Lesley.

Annie Opposable thumbs :eek: My cats are far too dexterous now. Opie can catch things between his paws. Augie is able to cup things in hers by extending her claws just enough to hold the object. All of them are able to open doors. I have asked Opie to help me clean the litter box, but he just stares at me with feigned incomprehension, waits for me to finish , them avails himself of now clean box. :rolleyes:

Darla you will have so much fun. Buy an umbrella when you get there.

Okay my head is hurting so I am going to lie down for awhile.

HAWLTAIN

Kay

shipbroker
05-26-2013, 02:18 PM
I'm really excited about the train trips we will be taking; I've only gone on little touristy train rides. It should be fun. I'm not real sure about the high speed one we are taking into Paris though..that one might be a bit scary.

Darla......That will be one of the best trips of your life....yes speedy but used by hundreds every day......

Don't bother with a brolly..........If the gales are bad they will just blow them inside out!
Hopefully see you Thursday.

geoff

Saint Ragdoll
05-26-2013, 02:23 PM
Doris,
Of course cats mastered a weird communication over distances, long before any puny human communication devices.....so that's how your grey wobbler and His Rontund Furry Fatness can scheme , plot and exchange ideas on what most drives human servants bonkers!!!!!
Karl, so sorry for everything.....And I do so understand when everything is going well my life is boring enough to put readers to sleep, but when stuff is happening, if it is good, I am living it and too busy to talk about it....and when it's bad, I am too depressed to even get out of bed and get dressed, no energy to talk......sending good thoughts to you and yours....
Pat, yep, on the pain thing, been there, done that and got the T-shirt!!!! Hoping the meds will knock out your pain...having lived with chronic pain of varying degrees for over 20 years, you have my sympathy and if there is anything I can do, please let me know....
Sylvia, my daughter and husband have always cooked ethnic foods....and now that my daughter has left home, hubby and I are even more adventerous foodies!!!! Knoxville is blessed with quite a variety of ethnic resturants and supermarkets where you can buy just about any foodstuff....we love experimenting with new cusines and new dishes on favorite cusines.....one of my favorite things is to make different curries from scratch, mixing together different quanities of fresh ground spices...whole house has a delicous scent for days!!! And having lived in Japan for 2 years, Japanese food is a big favorite of mine... In fact, when we want a "comfort soup" when sick or in the dumps, we make, not chicken soup, but Miso soup with chunks of tofu!!!! I regularly get a call from my daughter requesting me to make her a batch,(the way I make it, hers doesnt taste like mine!) that she feels bad and is sending her fiance over to pick it up!
It's sunny and a tad cool. Going to head out to Ijams nature park to visit a historic abandoned quarry that is in the park. Hubby is in charge of Beau(my tiny chihuahua) and I am taking paints.....all part of my "get in practice with my art till my Boston Trip".....Beau will love this Ijams excersion.... Can you imagaine he actually stops and sniffs flowers when he sees them??? And sometimes he sees one too high to reach and he wants me to hold it down so he can get a sniff.... It is unbelievably cute to see......Being a Chihuahua, he lives thru his nose more than any other Chi I have owned or now about....very much like a friend's beagle dog........
Happy Memorial Day Holiday and happy painting,
Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

WthrLady
05-26-2013, 02:52 PM
Pat- I went over a day after a storm, so I'm waiting for the newer blooms. I'll go out today. Uploads may have to wait until the other side of the move.

I prefer the hot and the humid over the midwest, but I prefer the people and the lifestyle of the midwest. I've been there before. The great plains isn't new turf for me. I'm ready to be out of here, but I'll miss it too.

Flattwo
05-26-2013, 03:12 PM
I to All

Thanks to everyone for your continued support

Lesley's sister (the Magistrate) has arrived today with her son, partner and baby for a weeks visit from London

Kay, super photo, I have just finished a Flower painting after Hokusi, will post it later

Has anyone got advice on the best Kindle to buy, mainly for reading books?

Speak Later

Henry

Yorky
05-26-2013, 03:18 PM
I bought a Kindle Paperwhite (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007OZO03M/?tag=googhydr-21&hvadid=13791525752&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=636152&hvnetw=g&hvrand=451633326468187762&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1a9lmed26q_b) Henry and found it a very comfortable thing to read. It has an adjustable backlight. I mainly read 99p Deal of the Day books.

That said you can get Kindle books on all tablets and on your laptop too. Once you buy a Kindle book you can put the Kindle program (app) on all your devices at the same time for convenience and read the book on all or any device.

My experience of the "2 weeks battery life" is that will probably last for a typical book, but it is quickly recharged.

Doug

Flattwo
05-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Thanks Doug, very helpful :thumbsup:

Henry

WthrLady
05-26-2013, 05:18 PM
I prefer the NON lit kindles. I stare at a computer screen all day and it's nice to have that non reflective, non enhanced, glare free experience when I sit down to read. I have the original kindle. I think she's pushing 6 years old?! Gosh....wow. I get two weeks out of a charge easily. The trick is turning off the 3G link up after you load the book you are reading.

DH has a generation 2 or three with 3g and wifi. DS has generation 3 with wifi only. His is glitchy, but we have no idea why.

artmom
05-26-2013, 06:09 PM
I have the Kindle 2. Because I also prefer the non-back-lighted Kindles.

Lyn

shipbroker
05-26-2013, 06:28 PM
I have a 3G non-lit as they didnt do lit when it was bought for me. I am happy with it as I only read in daylight and the biggest plus to me is its email ability.

geoff

laudesan
05-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Monday Morning here.....

Thanks for the well wishes.

I still cough and sneeze, and boil, and shiver.. I don't know what has hit me. I haven't had a cold/flu in about 5 years. At least the razor-blade throat has healed.

I went to Tania's (my daughter) partners birthday lunch yesterday. It was his 40th and a big deal for him. His own family well, I will say no more.
It was nice and sunny, and sheltered outside. We went to the Belmont Tavern. Tania kept ordering us cocktails, and I didn't say no :p They were nice actually, and they looked very pretty in the glass. A painting in everyone.

I am rugged up again today, heading for a nap again..

:grouphug: to all in need :grouphug: