05-25-2013, 02:10 AM
Morning all

Dont believe I am first in??

Lovely day out there. Market beckons for some veg and eggs so back later

geoff

Yorky
05-25-2013, 02:45 AM
Good morning Geoff and all to follow.

It's a beautiful morning here too Geoff, not a cloud in the sky and the wind has dropped. Unfortunately it is only 7C after a clear night.

Not much on the cards for today.

Doug

Doris345
05-25-2013, 03:45 AM
Hi Washers,
Hi Geoff
Hi Doug

Lulu - what is a hokey pokey, please?

Annie, Char - you are right. Louie is a gem, and all the more so when one considers the rough beginning he must have had to cause him to give me such a rough beginning with him. [I just re-read that sentence and it still makes sense. How scary is that?]

Lazy holiday weekend planned. Housekeeping and gardening chores, plus a BBQ at a friend's place in the 'burbs, a visit to a pal in the hospital, a guided tour for some out-of-town friends, and lots of hanging out doing nothing.

Waves and hugs to all :wave: :wave: :grouphug:

Doris

Lulu
05-25-2013, 04:27 AM
Hi everyone on this coolish (13C) wet evening in Kiwiland...nearly 8.30 pm and we have a good fire going and are watching rugby on tv.

Lulu - what is a hokey pokey, please?

From wikipedia for you Doris:
Hokey pokey is a flavour of ice cream in New Zealand, consisting of plain vanilla ice cream with small, solid lumps of honeycomb toffee - known as "hokey pokey" in New Zealand The original recipe until around 1980 consisted of solid toffee, but in a marketing change Tip-Top decided to use small balls of honeycomb toffee instead.

It is the most popular flavour after plain vanilla in New Zealand and a standard example of Kiwiana. It is also exported to Japan and the Pacific.

doppler
05-25-2013, 04:36 AM
Hi Doug and Geoff.

Doris, You are so right about tough beginnings and then life panning out with kindness. Big schmakos to Louie from me. AND to you.

Loki is in and fed. Bo is still OUT ... and I am NOT neurotic :lol: :lol: :lol: :crossfingers:

I am neurotic. :rolleyes: I opened the side door and Bo scooted in without so much as a by your leave. You get that with cats. :cool: He is fed and stretching before the fire, squeezing out the black mop who got there first but is now last. she is smaller. Considerably. If one considers?

Roger is cooking :wave: :thumbsup:

Lulu
05-25-2013, 04:45 AM
Hi Annie, my two are definitely in....
Alfalfa has settled in for a little learning lol

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2013/1118-IMG_3823aa.jpg

doppler
05-25-2013, 05:01 AM
In the great train of life, Lulu, you have found another engine. :heart: Loving animals who are are unconditional in their love.

If only they had a thumb?

Lulu
05-25-2013, 05:14 AM
In the great train of life, Lulu, you have found another engine. :heart: Loving animals who are are unconditional in their love.

If only they had a thumb?

**nodding icon**

alansam
05-25-2013, 07:01 AM
morning all .nice day here ,got the artists mag on Thursday saw a new James Fletcher Watson dvd had come out ,,,orders it on line , it arrived this morning .,,nice and quick .. I ordered the book at the same time / but it looks a few of the old repeats are in it
sometimes they add a little bit.change the title and that it.now where is that deck chair,,, lets get in the garden.

shipbroker
05-25-2013, 07:17 AM
alansam.......gave up on magazines some time back, if I see an old one in a Charity Shop I will have a peep...but I was spending more on them than paint, so no books,no magazines, no dvd's...no online instruction...but I do like looking at other peoples modern work in galleries........

Deck chair...yes the garden bench is in use with morning paper and watching the weeds grow on nicest day of year so far...hailstones yesterday! However, whilst appetite is returning I am light-headed so doing nothing fits the bill nicely.....the bees and hoverflies are buzzing gently,a lawnmower at top of village purrs on....the wood pigeons and blackbirds continue what they started at 0400...yes a nice day.

geoff

CharM
05-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Good morning! It's a cool and sunny day in the SW of Ontario... the house was pretty chilly when I got up so I turned on the fireplace here in the family room... it's nice a cozy.

Ted and his friend Rick have begun working on the repair of our trailer floor. They'd hoped to be able to do it differently and were forced to work "Plan B"... it's going to be fine, though. They believe they can finish it today.

Major laundry is my plan for the day.

Hiya Doug and Geoff! I quite smoking just a few years ago (25-30 per day)... also a tea totaller...

Doris, it sounds like you have some fantastic plans for your Holiday Weekend! ((Louie))

Lulu, everyone knows what the Hokey Pokey is a dance :):

:music: You put your right foot in
You take your right foot out
You put your right foot in
And you shake it all about
You do the hokey pokey
And you turn yourself around
That's what it's all about :music:

And then (same lyrics)... your left foot, right hand, left hand and then your whole self... THAT's what it's all about... :lol:

You're not neurotic Annie... when the kitties won't come in at night, Ted's been known to drive up and down the road to make sure nothing terrible has happened! :eek:

Hi Alan... like Geoff, I gave up on magazines too... but, I've recently discovered I can "borrow" them for free online through my library! Bonus!

HAWLTAIN... :wave: All... I hope your day is the very best possible! :heart:

wcartistsr
05-25-2013, 08:15 AM
Morning All. Sun is shining, but pretty cool outside. Yesterday it was 57F out and today is hopefully to be a bit warmer. We worked in the yard planting stuff. We lost plants over the winter and so Don is replanting and also moving a couple of things. I planted our flower box off the deck with annuals yesterday. Still have to do the annuals around the mailbox. Don has to do the perennials as I can't do all that.

We plan to go with our daughter and GD today to get some more plants, she for her annuals and us for some coral bells to replace some plants that died.

Other than that I have been baking for some company we are having in a week. Getting stuff into the freezer. I have also been working more on the photos. I finished scanning all the old photos of my mothers that were in the acidic albums and the slides of my family growing up are done. Now I have to organize them. I do it in a program called Thumbs Plus which I like. My idea is to organize them in there and rename them. Then I will make a text file from the names and also a comment on the photo (such as who, where, etc.) Then I would like to burn DVD's of the photos and the text file. Hopefully that would enable someone at a later date to read and see the photos. A text file should be readable even if Thumbs Plus is no longer supported out ahead. At least that is my thinking. You can see this is a big project and I admit to feeling a bit overwhelmed. However, it is moving along. I am getting them organized into files now.

Wishing everyone well today. I don't have time to reply as I need to shower and get ready for D and GD.

Shirley

Yorky
05-25-2013, 08:29 AM
Hi Alan yes a wonderful sunny day.

Hi Char, hi Shirley.

I made a photo book of old family photos, covering each generation on the family tree. I put the names of the people on the front of the photos and included a print-out of the family tree so my kids don't have to rely on technology.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2013/1046-A3John_Ellen_Ellen__Laura.jpg

Doug

LynnM
05-25-2013, 09:27 AM
:wave: Good day! Lovely sun here, cool though, but not as cold as yesterday. More painting today, and some sewing, and a walk to get some groceries later......same old!

What a wonderful photo, Doug! such personality showing in those expressions.

Shirley, I have a box of photos that I have scanned and incorporated into my family tree on Ancestry, plus some from photos I copied in England, but I want to also do something not digital, who knows how long those discs or drives will stay uncorrupted. I hope to make a book printed with pigment inks that should last a while.

Sounds like a lovely day there, Geoff, that's a relief for you.

Lulu that sounds delicious! Up here a favourite ice cream is heavenly hash...chocolate with marshmallows, chocolate bits and nuts (?) can't remember if there are nuts. It was always my choice when I could have it. I'm working on a recipe with low sugar but lots of cream mmmmmmm....

I'm still smiling over your story of the grocery store conversation, Annie :lol:
Not sure cats should have thumbs, though, think of all the extra mischief they could get into!

That's what I thought too, Char, when I saw 'hokey pokey'. It's a fun wedding dance some places, along with the 'chicken dance' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UV3kRV46Zs) (I grew up in Manitoba :lol: )

Alan, I was tempted by that DVD too, the excerpt in the link was very nice. But I found Outdoor Painting at a reasonable price so bought it. I don't have any of his books and wanted one. I do have an Edgar Whitney book from my mum, though, he had a simplified approach too.

Hi Doris!

Greeting to all to come, I hope everyone has a rewarding day :grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

shipbroker
05-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Char.....Thats the Hokey Cokey...not Hokey Pokey!

geoff

LynnM
05-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Nope, Geoff, over here it's the Hokey Pokey.....cultural migration I guess.

olliewood0702
05-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Happy Saturday,

It dawned sunny and cool this morning. It promises to be nicer than yesterday at least temperature wise.:thumbsup:

We have some errands to run so I cannot linger here; I've yet to shower.

Heard from Josh early this morning; at 7:30am. It said "arrived in Scotland...this whole driving on the wrong side of the road is insane! Oh and pack some sweatshirts and a jacket...,it's COLD in the UK!":lol: :D

I hope you all have a GREAT day and will get to do something you enjoy creatively.

3 more sleeps.:wave: :heart:

Yorky
05-25-2013, 10:36 AM
It's wonderful day today Darla but the forecast for next week (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/nw/nw_forecast_weather.html) doesn't look too good. :crossfingers:

PS Off out to the theatre now - Carousel by a local opera group.

Doug

shipbroker
05-25-2013, 11:11 AM
Happy Saturday,

It dawned sunny and cool this morning. It promises to be nicer than yesterday at least temperature wise.:thumbsup:

We have some errands to run so I cannot linger here; I've yet to shower.

Heard from Josh early this morning; at 7:30am. It said "arrived in Scotland...this whole driving on the wrong side of the road is insane! Oh and pack some sweatshirts and a jacket...,it's COLD in the UK!":lol: :D

I hope you all have a GREAT day and will get to do something you enjoy creatively.

3 more sleeps.:wave: :heart:

Cold Darla?? ...It is 20C here....warmest of the year, probably frost tonight though! Been listening to radio and the Josh flight was one of 153 short-haul that was cancelled yesterday,lots of people then.

Should have cut the grass but still feel light-headed and have managed to pull some goosegrass and self-sown geums from the patio cracks instead.

geoff

shipbroker
05-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Nope, Geoff, over here it's the Hokey Pokey.....cultural migration I guess.

And here is the answer Lynn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hokey_cokey

geoff

Uschi
05-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Good Afternoon!

Just a very quick post because I just got home from table tennis, am tired and need lunch. I had to send a quick email and that is why I am at the computer. Can't be on the computer without checking on the Wash, of course.

Very sunny, very windy and the wind is still from the north and COLD. Frost warning for tonight.

Geoff, wanted to tell you that the video re the Statins has been taken off all sites because of copy right issues, too bad.

Lynn, your shawl is absolutely WONDERFUL!!

Doug, your photo :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:wave: To the rest of you, I have to have my lunch and Jodi from Kitchener is coming over for a visit right after and at some point I'll have to cut the grass, but BBL at some point.

Uschi

Flattwo
05-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Hi to All

A gloriously warm sunny day here

Lynn, great work there, I was Christened in a hand made shawl my Mother made

I have had contact from prospective buyers of my Acrylic paintings, the problem is that they are in Australia, shipping and insurance is astronomical, I will give them a quotation if they wish.

Henry

NancyR
05-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Had a wonderful mini vacation. I had to stop using Aleve because of the surgical shot on Thursday. Tylenol just don't take the pain away. It is going to be a long two days at work next week.

Darla, Have a wonderful time on your trip and do take some heavier layers.

Sounds like you all are having the delayed spring that we had. I saw there was snow in the Northeast today. San Antonio, Texas, is flooding from a slow-moving storm. We received 3 inches of rain last night from the same system.

Have a great day.

Saint Ragdoll
05-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Oh, no, no,no,no.....if cats had thumbs, Fugasy Lupin would take over the world!!!!!! With Tom-tom as his right paw man......
It's bad enough as it is when Fu is out of dry food in the self feeder he goes to the bathroom cabinet(closest cabinet to the bedroom) and using his paw, pulls the cabinet door open just a little allowing it to spring back closed with a bang-ng-ng-ngggg. Bang-ng-ng-ngggg....and so ad infinum nauseum ...until the long suffering sleep deprived human servant gets up and fills the feeder, he does this even when there IS food in the darn thing and it just hasnt fallen down enough to suit His Rontund Furry Fatness. And he is perfectly capable of bonking the feeder with his head to make the food fall down, I have seen him do it!!! He just prefers his human servant do it for him, of course...Sometimes when the poor human doesnt want to be summoned to " food knocking down in the feeder" duty, I yell at him to knock it off...this means he purr-trills excitedly " oh wow, human is awake and I want pettins" .....he runs ( waddles with fat belly swing from side to side) jumps ever so gracefully (THUD, ooops, I ment to slide off the bed, taking pulling ALL the covers off the human with my claws) and plops himself (all 20 pounds of His Rontund Fatness) on my chest, touching my face with a wet icy cold nose and purr-trill-murps until a hand is extended out from the covers to pet and scratch. If he's ignored, he repeats wet icy cold nose thearpy a few times, then tHUD off the bed and back to the cabinet for more bang-ng-ng-nggggg....sigh...and as I thpe this, he is digging stuff out of my purse that I made the mistake of putting within his reach....OMG, maybe he is trying to get my credit card for a little internet catnip shopping....gotta go foil this attempt....
I love my cats..and especially the ones with...character..yeah, that's what you call it, character.....
Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

doppler
05-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Teresa :lol: :lol: :lol:

LynnM
05-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Thanks, Geoff, isn't Wiki handy!

Thanks, Henry and Uschi, I am enjoying making this one, the pattern is easy to remember and it knits up fast.

:) Teresa!

(((Nancy))) for next week.

Finished my painting, will post in the May challenge.

Doris345
05-25-2013, 06:25 PM
Theresa

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Clearly, my fat grey wobbler has been masterfully taught by your Rotund one, particularly the 'wet icy cold nose' maneuver.

JudyL
05-25-2013, 07:19 PM
DGD is awkwardly asleep on our sofa, head at one end of the sofa, and the feet on the footstool, took awhile. The trip to Disneyland, was ok but not much sleep on the bus ride from Sacramento to LA, about the distance from London to Edinburgh. To hear her talk she did not like it much, but she brought a lot of stuff back, but she does not like most rides. I took her to lunch at Noodles and co and then to DSW to pick up gold flip flops to wear with "The Dress" under the gown at Tuesdays graduation ceremony. FINALLY fell asleep in an awkward position not going to bother her.

I was cleaning out old Doctor Oz shows and think I have found out the reason I have been so tired lately, not enough protein! makes sense I don't think there is much protein in oatmeal only 5 in the stuff I use.
Anyway he recommends 25 at each meal and believe me, I tried it the last 2 days and it made a difference!

About Hokey Pokey, it is a dance I learned when I was 5 and it is also a recipe from Nigella Lawson, involving sugar, corn syrup and baking soda.

The Stockton Thunder (hockey) won the game last night, :clap: but the best part was when they had to put in a different goalie, whose name is BUNZ. He became popular when the kids came up with a chant when he did good. "BUNZ OF STEEL!"

BBL

laudesan
05-25-2013, 08:01 PM
:wave:

I am still sick. I have a chest cold now.. Grumble bumble..............

olliewood0702
05-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Watching the Redwing game, they can wrap up the series tonight.:crossfingers:

I was packing today, ironing clothes, doing laundry, a bit of painting, folding clothes. Larry worked outside cutting grass, raking.

Doug should we bring an umbrella? A rain poncho/jacket? Probably be a good idea I think. We are bringing layers.:thumbsup:

((JJ))):heart: I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well.

Sending hugs to all in need.

See u in the morning:wave: :heart:

Lulu
05-25-2013, 11:31 PM
Char.....Thats the Hokey Cokey...not Hokey Pokey!

geoff

and here it is called hokey tokey!!!! lol

Darla, definitely take an umbrella!! we even took one to the desert - we didn't use it for rain, but we could have used it to shade ourselves from the heat!
Oh, and tell Josh that driving on the right side of the road is insane :p

Glorious sunny late autumn day, have been out open-homing........just looking....

:wave:

Yorky
05-26-2013, 01:18 AM
Yes an umbrella is good insurance Darla, though we could probably give you a small folding one.

Doug