PDA

View Full Version : preparing paper

sandokan
09-12-2003, 03:15 AM
Hi!!
Yesterday I had prepared my first self made "Imprimitura"!!!
I used water, white clay and liquid glue (vinavil)
If you want you can add a bit of "tempera"; thus you can obtain the better tone you need for your masterpiece!
I used paper called "Rosaspina"; it's used for making engraving, and it's wonderful.
Anyway, you can use normal bristol paper...
If you want, you can use fish glue or rabbit glue, instead of vinavil, but you have to heat the solution.
Today I'm going to lay a second coat and then I hope to show you my next pastel: a copy from Degas!!!
See you soon!
Ciao
Sandokan

sundiver
09-12-2003, 06:49 AM
Sounds very interesting- can't wait!

Artistammy
09-12-2003, 08:51 AM
What is "Imprimitura"? What is important about it. I've never heard it mentioned before. Thanks.

Artaholic
09-12-2003, 01:02 PM
Yes please tell us more:rolleyes:

Gerry

vrashton
09-12-2003, 01:05 PM
Is there really a big difference between paper you prepare yourself & the kind you buy at an art supply store? I would like to see a painting on this paper you are preparing.
Val

rwhale
09-12-2003, 01:52 PM
This process sounds very interesting! Please keep us posted on the results!

-Roger

blissfullyunaware
09-13-2003, 12:18 PM
Oh my... am I supposed to be "preparing" my paper before the pastel is applied... help help help, I am so confused ... :confused: There is so much to learn. Looking forward to seeing the Degas... love his work! Sharon

sandokan
09-15-2003, 03:40 AM
I'm sorry because i've explained myself so bad!
Imprimitura is the italian word for "priming"
And yes, is the treatment i do for paper before draw on it.
Once you have made imprimitura, you must wait paper dry, about 3 hours, depends by paper type!
The difference between paper I used for pastel and my own paper is that color attach very strongly to the paper, and it'has a more resistive surface...
But I hope to show you my result, I can't wait too!!!!!
See you soon!