PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts of Black

kare
09-12-2003, 02:08 AM
This is my third digi drawing.. am very new to this and want/need alot of feedback/crit and advice!
All comments welcome.

"Thoughts of Black" PSP7, 12.09.03
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2003/18486-Black_Thoughts_12.09.03.jpg

Tamana
09-12-2003, 10:36 AM
flying swimming things into the big blue yonder.

Keep pushing it, ciarai. It's new so have fun with it. Just relax and see where "it" leads you vs. you leading it!!! Have fun with it. Enjoy its company. :)

VieSaintSo
09-12-2003, 12:26 PM
Don't know much about digi art, but you seem to be getting on just fine!

somerset
09-12-2003, 12:50 PM
Have no experience with Paint Shop, so I will confine myself to
a few general remarks geared not to technique but methods you may find useful to help you release your artistic processes by thinking a little less about the mechanical and how you get there.

For your third time out, you show remarkable control in getting to what you want. You even thought to use different colors or values in your shading which is reflexive with paint but requires thought in virtual medium.

If you have a tablet use it. The stylus will allow your work to be a lot more intuitive with line, saturation of color and the like because most styli are pressure sensitive. Using it will save you a lot of time but more important will allow you to work without interrupting your creative process or having to go back to your work and 'patch in' what you want. An example of what I mean...pressing hard with the stylus results in a heavier, thicker flow than a light touch. Achieving the same result with a mouse requires that you stop in the middle of your process, change the opacity of your color and perhaps change your brush. A real concentration breaker!

If you make a color your are especially fond of, save it! Create a palette page. Make the page white, save it in a folder and just paint a small circle of the color you want to save onto it.

If you find a certain value of a given setting or combination of values or settings produce an affect you find interesting write it down and keep the information in a notebook.

I am sure MMK can contribute a lot more.

Above all, keep an open mind and you will suprise yourself.

mmk
09-12-2003, 03:45 PM
this looks good too.

i can't add much more to Michael's suggestions, except, if you make a virtual pallette page, make sure to save it on disk for safe keeping. or if you'd rather have something on paper, write down the numbers of the color [hue, saturation and luminosity numbers].

i'd like to offer more advice, what exactly would you like?

kare
09-14-2003, 06:40 PM
thank tam, vie, sommerset & mmk.

i've done that before.. saved a colour in my palette and then have come back and found it had disappeared on me :rolleyes:

how do i save my pallette to floppy? any tips?
(YES.. i don't know much about paint programmes.. so i need heaps of advice :D )

somerset
09-14-2003, 07:46 PM
No idea why that should happen....none whatsoever. Save another document to floppy and see what you get to be sure everything is working properly.

Make sure you save as a .jpg Perhaps your operating system cannot read .tiffs or whatever else Paint Shop uses. It would surprise me greatly that Paint Shop would not offer as an option to 'save as' a .jpg or .jpeg. Even as a copy.

An example. Photoshop prefers that you save as .psd their proprietary system but I can save documents as .jpg , .tiff and so on as a copy of the original.