PDA

View Full Version : Overcoming limitations to creativity

Irishman
05-24-2013, 03:48 AM
A talk by a guy called Phil Hansen on how he overcame a physical handicap to continue to be creative.I found it interesting as a condition called Focal Dystonia brought an end to my music playing but without that happening I would never have taken up watercolours.
Strangely,after years of heartache, a lot of money spent in trying to sort out my playing,and although I struggle to control a pen/pencil meaning I can no longer write properly and drawing can be a big challenge ,if I had a choice today to go back playing in return for giving up watercolours,I'd say "no". Life can be weird

http://www.ted.com/talks/phil_hansen_embrace_the_shake.html

pjartwc
05-24-2013, 04:14 AM
It seems like when God takes away something, he usually gives us something else, although it takes some people time to find it. I'm glad you found yours.

olliewood0702
05-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Yup, when one door closes another one opens. I'm glad you are enjoying your painting these days, Larry! I don't know what I'd do without my painting; it's hard working full time to find extra time to paint but I try to make time whenever I can. It's really theraputic.

Antiqueteacher
05-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Larry, I really enjoyed the speaker, too! There are times when our life takes a different turn, but, oh, the detour can be so interesting!! :D God does have a way of getting us to 'see' more possibilities!!

Katherine

M.L. Schaefer
05-25-2013, 02:28 AM
Yes, Larry, God guides our steps in the directions we need to go! :clap:

:heart: Margarete

Undergoose
05-25-2013, 05:25 AM
Larry, I can't imagine the pain you've had to go through. I'm a guitar player and have used music as a creative outlet and stress reliever for 25 years. It's one of the reasons I got out of the woodworking industry, which is also something I love; I know too many people who have had severe injuries in the shop.

As much as I love playing music, though, if I had to choose between music and visual arts, I'd pick visual arts, too.

Mostly my guitars and piano just sit in the corner gathering dust nowadays.

Watercolors are such a fantastic creative vehicle, I just love it.

Kudos to you for perseverance and sticking with it!

virgil carter
05-25-2013, 09:12 AM
What everyone has said! Kudos to Larry! Paint on, paint on! And don't look back!

Sling it!
Virgil

frodron
06-12-2013, 09:59 AM
A great painting Larry and you set an example to us all.

1onsite
06-18-2013, 12:40 AM
Awesome video Larry ! Thanks for posting. :)