PDA

View Full Version : ***Daily Wash Friday 24th May 2013***

doppler
05-24-2013, 01:58 AM
Checking? :lol: Though its cold enough for blue ears.

No apology needed Char. Am about to light ours. it has been bone numbing here today but the wind has died down. Rain remains. just enough to scare us out of the garden.

Cats have stayed in all day, sensibly. Bo is asleep in the cat hatchery (spare room ... All new cats go in there until they are accustomed to us and the other denizens. Doppler was the wide eyed hostile cat who saw Boo and then Bo come out. He was perplexed ... How did they get in? .... hence Cat Hatchery) Loki is on the sofa oblivious.

Roger helped with the shopping today. Me ... Do you really need caramel as well as chocolate sauce for your ice cream? It's a choice thing! Why have you bought so many mandarins when ours are ripening. Gulp, ok, I'll put them back. Roger .. We need soap ... OK sez I, choose some. What about imperial leather? NO WAY. Have you dealt with their packaging? Sez me, ok buy a cardboard box of some loose soaps. (I do use soap BTW :lol: but I cant deal with the packaging either and the annoying little non dissolvable stamp does my head in when peeling it from the tastefully tiled bath)

Then another couple who were shopping together started laughing. The woman said you should do it (shopping) more often to Roger. Her man looked miserable. She said Roger should be pushing the trolley. I said NO WAY. I'll lose him down the ice cream and lolly aisle. She then looked miserable but her husband was smiling.

It's all about Norman Einstein .... Geoff will understand.

Such is Friday in Paradise :wave:

BBL

ScarletLake
05-24-2013, 02:26 AM
BRRRR Teeth Chattering BRRR

Hello from Anita :wave: :wave: :wave:

I thought I could wash and pack away all my winter turtlenecks:lol: :lol: :lol:

It started to rain on me on my drive to the art museum this afternoon at 3pm and when I came out at 8:15pm it was soooo COLD.

I guess I will be wearing my turtlenecks, vest, and jeans again in the morning. A girl can never have too many turtlenecks/sweaters.

Well the evening went very well at the museum store. There was nothing for me to do so I got the manual for the cash register and sit down with it and made some notes. It is all computer screen checkout and now that I have been playing with it for a couple of months I could understand the manual. :lol: :lol:

When the other staffer got there at 5:30pm I was able to ask her some questions about some procedures that we not explained well before and got my working notes on those also.

It was a very quiet slow evening. Hardly anyone in the store maybe about 5 people the whole evening. We got out pretty fast at the end of the evening and I could not believe how dark cloudy and cold it was outside.

Can't seem to get to sleep tonight as it is 2:30AM here so maybe I will try and find an old movie or something.

Anita

Doris345
05-24-2013, 03:15 AM
Hi washers,

Hi Annie, hi Anita.

Lulu, Annie - my stubborn, independent Louie will definitely NOT respond to clacking of dishes. Maybe he is suspicious of why I would be feeding him before he asks/demands it (which is usually about 2 hrs before I deem it "time to eat"). :cat:

Sylvia, hope your house gremlins are gone.

I am trying to eat my way through the freezer, not the refrigerator, in preparation for the summer bounty of fresh foods. And since the major hardware chain has finally! straightened out all the incorrect items they sent me, I am hoping to do some canning this year.

Dinner with friends tonight at a local Greek place that I love. yum yum

Hello to all to come and HAWLTAIN.

Doris

Yorky
05-24-2013, 03:17 AM
Good morning all from a windy West Lancashire. Grey clouds are rushing by, I think we will have rain in between the flashes of sunshine.

Yesterday was the first time I have seen bowls affected by the wind - they were visibly slowing when bowling into the wind and swerving when bowling across the wind!

I have enough of this global warming, lets get back to our normal warm may temperatures :rolleyes:

Sorry you can't sleep Anita, I was awake at 3.30am but managed to doze off again and was lost in a strange city again.:confused:

Must do some shopping today, the cupboards are bare, except that is for my disaster store of outdated cans towards the back of the cupboard.

Hi Annie, Ruth lets me loose on my own in the supermarket, we are trying to diet so I am checking calories on everything and I have learnt not to pick up things - I am paying after all :lol:

Brekky time BBL.

PS Hi Doris, I should attack the freezer too.

Doug

Lulu
05-24-2013, 03:54 AM
Hi everyone:wave:

Darla, not many sleeps left now!:thumbsup:

lets get back to our normal warm may temperatures :rolleyes:

Was nice for us when we were there Doug, we only have memories of a very warm England - it was 30C when we were in Windsor. I remember us all wanting to get back onto the bus and airconditioning lol

Have not long finished skyping the family.....strange, us all rugged up and they not.......they are heading for 40C today and we are heading for 0C tonight.......:eek:

Has been a lovely sunny day though. Have been to a funeral of an elderly lady. I have only known her with Alzheimers, but wow, heard lots of fantastic things about her. That's why I enjoy going to funerals of elderly people (when I'm not emotionally involved). I usually only get to visit them in their latter declining years, and I'm always interested in what they have done.

Doris, good that Louie is an independent thinker:D Reminds me of 'dogs have owners, cats have staff' lol

Hi Anita :wave:

Annie, I have to say that John is a pain to do grocery shopping with. He always wants to look at everything, and what everything contains......and he always wants to check out the meat department, even though we rarely buy meat lol
Actually I didn't mind that in Abu Dhabi, was good spending time in shops for the air-conditioning!

Oh, and I heard him on the phone this afternoon saying: "Lulu had a bit of a cold while we were away"...........he of course is dying with his......:lol:

doppler
05-24-2013, 04:22 AM
Roger is not concerned about all that palaver Lulu. He wants his caramel and chocolate sauces. he does eat healthily apart from the manfood. We all have our weaknesses. Mine is cheese. Roger also worries about the raspberries that were ripening on our canes, then disappeared. :clear: Delicious!

Doris, your Louie is a gem :heart:

Sleep Anita.

Doug :wave:

Darla :heart:

Lulu
05-24-2013, 04:32 AM
We all have our weaknesses. Mine is cheese.

Yes, we do.......mine is.......hmmm where do I start? lol
Oh very dark chocolate is numero uno........John's too actually.
Then there's icecream with hokey pokey, hokey pokey on its own, pineapple lumps......I'd better stop there, but I don't keep them in the house. Good thing I've eaten dinner or I'd start craving lol

shipbroker
05-24-2013, 06:26 AM
Morning all......

Don't know whats happening around here ( perhaps Norman Einstein again Annie)..........awoke after 5 hours sleep at 4.45 and was able to read yesterdays wash but it wouldn't let me start a new one.....so left it and went back to sleep ( dead easy he says..) till 0900! WC would let me enter my username ( I have auto-cache clear daily) but not my password....so I have walked away and done a few phone calls and got straight in here..

Heavy hailstones yesterday and wild wild winds and rain today...pity we cancelled the caravanning! Bring your top coat Darla...

Yes I am still feeling week, as is Eileen.......actually had an Egg Mayo & Tomato sandwhich for me meal yesterday and I could taste it

geoff

Ellen in Ont
05-24-2013, 07:51 AM
:wave: everyone,
I can't believe the day has arrived! We leave for the airport in a few hours. It really will seem like going on a winter holiday. It is 0 C right now and going to -3 tonight.:rolleyes:

My son just phoned and Max has a gastro infection vomiting all night long. :rolleyes: It couldn't be worse timing of course! We will just have to deal with it. At least we are only going as far as Toronto tonight.

No time for chatting so I'll wave. Keep your fingers crossed that Max gets better quickly and no one else gets it. :crossfingers:

shipbroker
05-24-2013, 08:06 AM
Ellen.....much sympathy with Max...know how he feels

Right...Flash Mobs with an artistic difference......The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam is a wonderful place BUT it has been closed for the last 10 years whilst rebuilding etc .....have a look at this|!

http://www.wimp.com/famouspainting

geoff

CharM
05-24-2013, 08:21 AM
Ellen, if you're still home and checking the Wash, have a GREAT time! So, so sorry about poor little (((Max)))...

artdragon86
05-24-2013, 08:36 AM
Hi everyone,
Just stumbled into the Daily Wash for the first time, though I've 'seen' many of you in other threads :)

Poor Max, hope he recovers soon :( I had gastro last year so I know it can really knock you around.

Chocolate is definitely my weakness. I don't really eat any other unhealthy foods, but any time chocolate makes it into our house, it doesn't last five minutes :lol:

I've just finished marking some assignments for uni and I'm taking a break before I have to get started on the next lot... And of course, Rex is 'helping' :angel:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2013/979335-Smiling_Rex_Under_Desk.jpg

Uschi
05-24-2013, 08:41 AM
Good Morning!!!

BBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR We too are hovering around the freezing mark with a very strong NORTH wind. My heating is back on:lol:

Mrs. Robin has abandoned her nest after sitting on it for 14 days, I guess those bitter cold couple of days with snow and hail had something to do with it. I wondered how she could possibly keep these eggs warm.

Anyway, I can cut my grass without worrying about her and it needs cutting very badly.

Table tennis in the afternoon.

Ellen, have a wonderful trip and I hope you and the other participants stay healthy. :crossfingers: :crossfingers: for Maxes quick recovery.

Geoff, fun clip. Remember to relax!!!

Lulu, I guess skyping with your family has a different feel to it now after actually having been there.

Doug, today the balls would curve here too:)

Doris, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: that you have finally got all your canning materials sorted out.

Anita, glad all went without frustration at the museum!!

Annie, I am sure you greatly appreciated Rogers help with shopping, lucky you having such an attentive husband:wink2:

Breakfast is calling.

:wave: Uschi

olliewood0702
05-24-2013, 08:45 AM
Happy FRIDAY (finally)!

It dawned sunny this morning; but it's cold! I didn't hear how cold it actually got last night; hoping we had no frost.

Geoff, we do have overcoats packed; and layers that Doug suggested. I was hoping for at least upper 60'sF but oh well. I sure do hope you and Eileen start feeling better real soon.((()))

LuLu, I had a :lol: at John's conversation on the phone about your little cold. Yes...only 4 more sleeps.

We haven't heard from Josh yet and it's starting to worry me. His flight left last night and he was supposed to be in London by now. But they did have an emergency landing of a jet who's engine was on fire.:eek: WHYYY do these things happen just before I'm going to fly?:confused: I'm just hoping they were one of the flights that were delayed and that we hear soon from him.

We stayed up to watch the Detroit Redwings win their game last night; it was after 11:00pm when we finally went to bed. A bit tired this morning but the nice sunshine makes me feel better.:thumbsup:

HAVE A GREAT TRIP ELLEN...(((MAX))):heart:

Annie, you really need to write that book on cats; especially YOUR cats' adventures.:D Larry has been going with me to the grocery store lately and he's pretty good; he does throw some things in the cart that he thinks he needs...which he doesn't.:lol:

Anita, I hope you were able to get some sleep!

Hello Doris!

Hi there REbecca, welcome to the wash; Rex is a sweet looking dog.

Uschi, aww that poor Mama Robin; she must have been sad that she couldn't keep the eggs warm. Darn weather.:confused:

Char :wave:

Well, I'd better get to work here; I hope you all have a GREAT day!:wave: :heart:

CharM
05-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Good morning from a very chilly SW Ontario... the wind is blowing fiercely right out of the North... we don't have any rain predicted, but the dampness is bone chilling. I have turned on the fireplace.

Ted's friend Rick is coming down here today to help get our trailer ready for travelling... the floor is damaged because it got so wet during our trek through hurricane Sandy last fall and our Insurance won't cover the cost of repairs. The men have their work cut out for them.

I'll be selling raffle tickets at one of our local nurseries today for my Service Club. I hate selling tickets. This bit of volunteer work is done very grudgingly... :)

Hi Annie... Ted and I shop for groceries together... he used to do a great job on his own, too. Now we both read every ingredient on every label and it takes forever to shop... Actually, that's not true now because we really just do the perimeter of the store now... and THAT's become much cheaper!

Sinful cravings? Mine is cheese... Ted's is (gross, yuck, ick) fried pork rinds... :)

:lol: Anita, I don't own a single turtleneck or long sleeved sweater... I hope you managed some sleep!

Doris, I'm glad you finally got your order straightened out... I was going to offer to send you a package of lids... they're very inexpensive here. Louie is a stitch!

Hi Doug... how's your ear today? It's a "hang onto your hat, Nellie" kind of day here too.

Now Lulu... we all KNOW that man colds are much more severe than anything we women would sniffle through... :rolleyes:

Oh my gosh, Geoff... your weather's been awful for the longest time... Stay snuggled up inside where it's warm and heal... that mob was so much fun to watch!

Welcome to the Wash Rebecca!

Uschi, how sad that Mama Robin has abandoned her nest...

Darla, I saw the bit on the news about the delays at Heathrow because of that plane... it did land safely... and no one was hurt...

I need a bite of breakfast... :wave: All and hoping those under the weather are feeling better today... Have a great day, Everyone!

Yorky
05-24-2013, 09:20 AM
Blowing a gale here and men are re-roofing next door! Just had a short hail storm and now it's sunny again.

Took Ruth's old scooter and a second hand identical model in to the workshop to see if they can make one good one out of them. The gearbox in one is faulty and the motor in the other is slow.

Doug

shipbroker
05-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Took Ruth's old scooter and a second hand identical model in to the workshop to see if they can make one good one out of them. The gearbox in one is faulty and the motor in the other is slow.

Doug

By you two know how to 'live on the edge' Doug!

Blowing hard here just been for provisions in Thirsk and it is heaving with people, few parking places and long queues of cars...why?? Anyway feel rather light headed so am going to risk a ham and brie panini and more tea...but even the tea doesn't taste the same at moment.....

geoff

JJ Thanks for the Snopes link...have passed it to the others I had e-mailed,

Darla....if you are still at home....the plane which they brought back from Norway airspace meant many long haul runways were closed until mid-morning and mid-afternoon for shorthaul......there wasn't any great problem just playing safe

Europa
05-24-2013, 10:52 AM
AFTERNOON WASHGANGEROOS!!

Popping in as am just about to start getting SWMBO ready for her eye appt - am hoping he is going to give us a date for the second eye op.

Sorted out her appt with the consultant re her knee check up - that is on 18th June - she goes on 4th June to sort out her shoulder so hopefully if we ever get a summer she will be more or less sorted. :thumbsup:

Am getting frustrated with the district nurses - they are supposed to come every Thursday to see to Mum's pressure sores. I told her last week we had no more dressings and she said she would order some and they would be here on Monday.....no show. They only come once a week as I am able to change the dressings myself. Also she never turned up yesterday either - am getting that way I feel like telling them not to bother ....I will sort it myself.

As Doug mentioned - it is very windy here at the moment - woke up this morning to my window having been flung wide open and a gale force wind blowing around my room.....lol.

One of the double portraits I am working on is driving me nuts - its taken my weeks to just do her hair......aaaaargh....but think i have cracked it.

Well better make a move - sorry haven't time to comment on everyone's posts...sending white light to those in need and love and hugs all around.

LUGGLES

Pat xxx

JudyL
05-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Geoff, LOVED the video! Made me laugh out loud! Also made me want to GO there :sad:
DGD off to Disneyland so only had the boy this morning Jen stayed and talked bowling for awhile, looks like we may be called on to be subs.
We will be collecting the boy and hauling him out to their house this evening, we are to watch the Stockton Thunder (ice hockey) they are in the playoffs. We are going with as a group, lots of fun and lots of yelling, I have a tiny sore throat, so will try to maintain my dignity.
STILL have not finished the painting.

Oh well, bbl.

olliewood0702
05-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Geoff, it's my son who's stuck in LOndon at Heathrow. He's got a short haul flight to Aberdeen but he may not make it today. He's tired like all the others standing in that LONG like waiting to find out his fate. With the Holiday there must be many more travelers too. (We fly out Tuesday)

Doug, Pat, I HATE the wind; we get so much of it here in the flatlands of Mid-Michigan. It's ALWAYS windy. I guess we'd better be prepared for much of the same. Pat, good on you sticking with the portrait. Doug, I hope for success on the scooter.

Flattwo
05-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Hi to All

Its a beautiful sunny warm day (not too warm) here in the west of Scotland, almost summer like!

We are still waiting for news from the oncologist re Lesley, I with they would get a move on! the district nurse comes in every day to see her and give her a shot

Geoff, I hope the lurgy abates quickly from you are you good lady very soon.

I am a cheese lover, Lesley days if you squeeze me I squeak

Speak later

Henry

LynnM
05-24-2013, 12:08 PM
:wave:Good day all, started a post and lost it..... :grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

shipbroker
05-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Darla....yes BAA confirm that all short haul would restart about 4pm today from Heathrow.

Henry, when I was really broke and living in London buying cheese ( and salad) was the only thing that kept me going other than my Luncheon Vouchers...I would fry it boil it grill it curry it......The doctors reckoned that had something to do with my rapid hair loss....it was only pay days I could buy meats, usually bacon,to go with it......so for seven years thereafter I didn't eat any and even now have to be in the mood...but bacon & brie or similar in a toastie/panini is a nice change...
Love to Lesley..

geoff

kaypainter
05-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Hello all,

Finally caught up on washes. Been a bit hectic here. It's cool here too although not your cool in Ontario, No. England or NZ. There were rain clouds scooting around the sky yesterday but dropped nothing here. We could use some. This year's rainfall I think was below half of normal, although I don't think there is a normal for LA. :lol:

Geoff loved the video. Hoping you and Eileen feel better soon.

Doug I would have loved to see that bowls game. Hope they can salvage the scooters. Ruth's penguins are wonderful. Perhaps Doris's nephew could do an animated piece with stop motion of them. They remind me a bit of the characters in the Wallace and Grommit stop motions.

Which reminds me:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2013/130068-IMG_2047.jpeg
Very tired baby boy taking a nap while mom is surfing the internet on her iPad. Of course he moved by the time I got the shot. He had his head on his paw looking more human than is strictly necessary. :lol: He cozies up to me when his cat mother is not there. Momma Esme was at the vet's for her glucose monitoring. Now I am doing 2 units in the morning and 1 1/2 in the evening. I wish we could find a dosage that works so she would feel better. :(

JJ I've been meaning to show you this ever since I went to LACMA to see the exhibit of Hokusai's donated to the museum.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2013/130068-Hokusai_Spider.jpeg
Now THAT's a very big spider. And a very large match. :lol: :lol:

Welcome Rebecca. Rex is beautiful. And what a perfect name for a regal looking German Shepard.

I'm with the crowd who loves cheese. LOVE cheese. And dark chocolate. Not necessarily together, but that wouldn't be too bad. Hhhhmmmmmm.

Pat I hope you can get Winnie's appointments all sorted. :crossfingers: for the portrait coming out alright this time.

:wave: :wave: to Ellen and family who are probably already on their way right now. (((((Max))))))

Not long now Darla!!!! Hadn't heard about that plane at Heathrow. Did hear this morning about the flight that was diverted from Manchester to Stansted.

Uschi I'm sorry Mrs. Robin abandoned her eggs. :( I watched that happen to a hummingbird nest outside my window once (my old apt in LA). The wind became so fierce the branch was moving up and down almost 3 feet. I think the egg probably was tossed out of the nest entirely.

Char I hope you sell a lot of tickets, so it doesn't seem so onerous a task.

Anita glad you had a calm evening at the museum.

(((((Henry & Lesley))))))

Well got to get organized for class. Last week I thought I'd packed everything I needed and taken out what I didn't need. Forgot to put something in, so had to work on something else during class. :rolleyes:

:wave: Lynn

HAWLTAIN

Kay

ScarletLake
05-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Hello Everyone:wave: :wave: :wave:

Well I finally got to bed around 4:30 AM and was up at 7:30AM so tonight I will probably crash.

It is still windy and chilly here. Yes I have on my turtleneck and grey winter vest to keep warm.

Getting some laundry done ---still proceeding with the change over of winter to summer clothes in closet. Will get the second bookcase unloaded today and moved over into the spare bedroom. I'll be so glad to get these things done and hope to be able to work some outside over the weekend but not if it stay so cool.

Lulu - I was thinking I wanted to ask you about what foods you ate on your trip. Just curious about other countries.

Darla - I'm so excited for you and your husband. Can't wait to hear of your adventures.

Henry --Sure thinking of you and your wife at this time

Doris --- Enjoy your dinner out this evening

Ok mind is just blank now but everyone have a great day

Anita

shipbroker
05-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Little bit of European Culture......again.

Another non-flash mob of musicians who work for a bank in Barcelona...could you imagine this happening in London, New York etc......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GBaHPND2QJg

Lovely bit of Beethoven ( words by Schiller for Uschi to sing along to..)

geoff

Yorky
05-24-2013, 01:38 PM
A wonderful performance Geoff. Thanks for the links.

Doug

Flattwo
05-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Kay, Hokusai is one of my favourite artists, I have a great book on him

Geoff, Luncheon Vouchers were a great idea, we used to save them up and go for a slap up meal! can't remember if the Savoy Grill accepted them :lol:

Cheese, the only cheese's I don't like are goat's, sheep and Danish Blue, will scoff the rest!

I think I will paint a flower tonight

Henry

shipbroker
05-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Henry...I like Goats, Ewes & Blues tooooooooo!
Luncheon Vouchers....never managed them in the Savoy Grill but we used to save them for cigarettes ( well I was on 100+ a day then).

Doug...Was nice music wasn't it.
geoff

olliewood0702
05-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Geoff are you saying you used to smoke 100+ ciggys a day? Wow...that is a lot of ciggarettes.:eek:

Josh has been texting me; he's heard that they are putting people up in a hotel for the night. He's been standing in a line for 6+ hours! He's exhausted. Poor kid. He probably won't make it to Aberdeen before sometime tomorrow. I think at this point he just wants a bed.

I love cheese too...I'd never heard that it can cause hair loss (?):confused: Is that true?

I love those flash mob things; I think it'd be cool to be in a mall or square when they did one or even be a part of one.

Kay, a BIG spider for sure...eww But your little fur-guy is adorable.

shipbroker
05-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Yes Darla.....figure is correct.....cut back to 60 a day by 1975 then when Eileen packed in work when carrying Claire I stopped......cold turkey, stood on my desk in the office and told everyone....nobody believed me.....never since.

geoff

olliewood0702
05-24-2013, 02:55 PM
:eek: Well they say that is the way to do it...cold turkey...good for you.:thumbsup: I'm sure your lungs thanked you. :D I've never smoked; never started because I probably wouldn't be able to stop (my sister can't).:rolleyes:

Aww Henry...poor (((LESLEY))) why in the world are they taking so long for results? I'm praying for good ones and that they'll start treatment soon.:grouphug: Thanks for keeping us informed; we worry about you.

Anita, I'm keeping a journal of our trip; and hoping to do some sketching;weather permitting. But I'll mostly take pictures, many, many pictures.:thumbsup:

shipbroker
05-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Darla.

The speed and distance you want to travel you will need high speed Panavision!!

Rhis is one of our busiest airpiort weekends as it is our Spring Bank Holiday and school half term in England.

geoff

Flattwo
05-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Geoff, I stopped cold turkey as well, I smoked about 40 a day

Darla, All of Lesley's results are in, they are trying to work out a way to remove her complicated kidney tumour and kidney, the disease has put pressure on the Vena Cava (main vein of the body) difficult case unfortunately

Henry

LynnM
05-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Thanks Geoff for those flash mob links, raised a tear here :)

(((Lesley and Henry)))

Hi Kay, sweet kitty!

Had a good day walking, vigorously (6C to start!) Did some banking and caught the bus up hill, but I had already done 3 k by then. Wore all my warm clothes, too, Anita.

Am actually painting, thank goodness, it's been quite a dry spell. That and knitting a shawl, love the yarn, very soft. It has an off white band too.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2013/97813-Lilac_shawl.jpg

Yorky
05-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Never started smoking and gave up drinking any alcohol some 20 years ago, though I was only an occasional drinker of a glass of white wine or a bear/lemonade shandy for social purposes. Ruth and I now drink apple juice or grape juice drinks, one we have called Schloer.

Lynn, the shawl is coming along great.

Doug

LynnM
05-24-2013, 06:01 PM
Thanks, Doug!

I'm a teetotaller too, but more because of the migraines, and never smoked. My parents were two pack a day people when I was young, I guess I've had enough second hand smoke for a lifetime:eek: ! They had a little machine for rolling the cigarettes, that was my job, how times have changed!

Yorky
05-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Yes Lynn, that's what made me avoid alcohol, I would get migraine out of the blue with a glass of wine. Not sure it was the chemicals in it but it put me off completely. Thankfully the migraines have disappeared as I got older or maybe after I retired.

Doug

painterbear
05-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Good Afternoon all,
It is 6:00 p.m. here in sunny and beautifully cool Oakwood. We are finally enjoying Spring temps!!!! I'm wearing a sweater and long sleeve pull over top. :D

Had some trouble with my eye starting yesterday afternoon, so spend several hours at the ophthalmologist today. Started having a blurry spot and a crescent-shaped form in the middle of my left eye yesterday evening. It was a floater, but unlike any other floaters I've had because I could see through it, but dimly. Anyway, went to the doctor and he did a thorough exam--determined I had a vitreous detachment. As far as I understood, as we age, the vitreous fluid in the center of the eye sometimes pulls away a bit of the lining. That is what I saw floating in my eye. He said as long as it doesn't detach the retina it is harmless and the floater will sink out of sight in the bottom of the eye. Reassured me that this was not a dangerous situation and gave me the warning signs of a retinal detachment to watch for..THAT is a dangerous one and needs to be tended to right away.

I'm one of the cheese lovers here! Like Henry, I'm not a fan of goat cheese, but almost any other kind is manna for me. :D (I also like chocolate a lot, especially dark chocolate with its slightly bitter taste.)

Darla, Hope Josh gets a hotel room and a good night's sleep before finishing his journey tomorrow. :crossfingers:

Larry was a pack a day smoker and also quit cold turkey. Like Geoff, he announced to the people in his office he was quitting and gave away the rest of a carton of cigarettes to those who smoked. (He was the Lieutenant in charge at the time, so knew he wouldn't go back on his word in front of his staff. Negative encouragement worked! He stopped in 1964 and hasn't ever gone back on them. :D

Geoff, Really enjoyed those videos. :D Thanks for posting them.

Welcome to the Wash Rebecca and Rex!

Kay, What a darling photo of your kitty. Sorry poor Esme still isn't getting the right meds to ease her condition. Yuck! on the spider, but Yeah! on the art work. :D

:wave: to everyone I missed. Things are still a little blurry, so will have to close for now.

Trying to make beef with barley soup for supper tonight. Love the taste, but have never made it myself. :crossfingers: the recipe I got off the internet works. I'm using Larry's homemade beef broth as the base.

SYL,

Sylvia

shipbroker
05-24-2013, 06:24 PM
((((((((Henry & Lesley))))))))

geoff

Yorky
05-24-2013, 06:25 PM
(((Sylvia))) hope the eye problem subsides quickly.

Doug