PDA

View Full Version : after campin, oil on canvas, 18x24

AmyH
09-12-2003, 12:40 AM
altered and simplified study...kinda wussed out on it near the end, but I need to move on.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2003/1421-alterdcampinweb.jpg

mmk
09-12-2003, 01:13 AM
i was suprised to see such a relatively conventional style from you, Amy.
although i like the crystaline folds of the fabric.
it's your take on an established style, and although it's well executed, it leaves me wanting more of your personal style, study or no.

AmyH
09-12-2003, 01:17 AM
is this conventional? it was an exercise in technique that I didnt quite pull off like I'd like, I am disapointed in a different way than it not being "me"...for me it is important though, to try to stretch my ability (or lack of).

thanks for your thoughts mmk, always appreciated.

Tamana
09-12-2003, 01:23 AM
Nah fer real...glad to see you postin'. Simplified indeed. It's pretty late/early...my foot hurts from dropping a piece of wood on it, my lighter's dry, my eyes are heavy. Will be back with something more intelligible am.

mmk
09-12-2003, 01:25 AM
from seeing your other types of pieces there's no doubt you succeeded in stretching your ability, it looks for all the world like a conventional renaissance religous painting with some of your trademark style elements.

Tamana
09-12-2003, 01:26 AM
well nevermind. mmk seems to be sayin' it for me. So, yeah, anyway...glad to see ya.

GeniusOfInsanity
09-12-2003, 02:24 AM
Wow, good job.

ronaldb
09-12-2003, 02:44 AM
amy this is very different from what i have seen so far

i like it a lot - it really tells a story

this painting reminds me of australian painter Salvatore Zofrea:
http://www.evabreuerartdealer.com.au/zofrea.html

Gar
09-12-2003, 03:05 AM
Another feather for yer cap.;)

amanda
09-12-2003, 04:02 AM
That's very well done indeed. I love those folds. Wonderful.

Dahzl
09-12-2003, 05:45 AM
I think it looks Great Amy !! :D If it didn't quite fulfil your expectations - you can always start another- but if this was my work I would be very pleased with myself ! :D :D

Cheers Dahzl :D

blkros
09-12-2003, 07:58 AM
If you were going for the 'feel' of a campin, you did get it.
Nice job.
Stretch yer wings little birdy.

AmyH
09-12-2003, 01:50 PM
thanks everyone. yes I was after the feel of religious icon. its is taken directly from a campin piece and as "detaield" as it may seem to some of you. it is extremely simplified. campin had serious detail in the bench, on the ceraminc pot in the brass candlestick. I mean seriously ornate stuff that would take 6 months to paint...that too long for me :)

as to being pleased with myself. I am pelased I got as far as I did. I usually spend 5 to 20 hours max on pieces, typically at the low end of that.

I have been building skills for years and years and as long as I have been at it, I feel I could be further along than I am. if your a begginer it may look good, but if ya been at this gig a loooong time, its not so. tehre are many more factors to consider in a good piece than folds in drapery. emotionally I feel i missed the mark, but I was copying someone elses "emotive expression", so thats not too surprising.

I am hoping it helped to bring better understanding of paint to me (and it did) and push me more toward my personal goals.

it will make a nice x-mas gift for mom and dad though lol.

thanks again all.

Tamana
09-12-2003, 02:03 PM
it will make a nice x-mas gift for mom and dad though lol.

I'm just glad to see you back, Amy.

mame
09-12-2003, 02:56 PM
oops. missed this one.

No missin the amyh signature hands. Where's her birdhouse hat?

mame
09-12-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by ronaldb
amy this is very different from what i have seen so far

i like it a lot - it really tells a story

this painting reminds me of australian painter Salvatore Zofrea:
http://www.evabreuerartdealer.com.au/zofrea.html

ronald - txs for introducing me to this new found friend......:)

fractalfingers
09-13-2003, 02:41 AM
Amy,

This painting is compositionally brilliant.. your technique is brilliant.. but i'd take one of your sketches any day over it. You've mentioned recently that you feel you need to push it one more level to feel comfortable and make that next step. IMO you are already there, but you havn't quite put 2 and 2 together.. your eye as a technical artist is great.. your skill with the medium is great.. and from seeing your work and talking with you, you obviously have alot to say... you have alot of opinions and ideas that are very good and worthy of expression. There seems to be a disjuction between those ideas that come out in some of your looser work, and the work you put this much energy into. Some of your paintings over the last year or two start to get there, but I still feel there is a gap in allowing the two to meet. I think if you find a way to execute the passion of some of your raw work with this percision, you will have found what you are looking for. I don't think you need any more studies.. I think you need to put that energy into the things it is that you are identifying in your raw work. When I look at some of your sketches or smaller works.. I don't see symbolism.. composition is incedental.. it's the emotion that strikes me. I have yet to see that pure emotion in a major work... granted i havn't seen all your work.. but I think when you get that power into paintings of this magnitude... you will have hit it.. and also hit something in yourself. Don't over analize it.. you have the skill and the brain and heart... just bring them together..

not sure if this is a problem for you.. it's hard for me.. when I do raw work.. work that reveals things.. and it is a significant work spannin weeks or months, it is very hard to keep it together for the whole painting. The only thing that allows me to do it is absolute necessity... The importance of your ideas is not to be underestimated.. understand and beleive them with such conviction you are compelled to bring them into perfect fruition. determination of that sort only comes through understanding.. you have the knowledge.. realize it's importance to the point that you push yourself that extra step to make it happen.

mame
09-13-2003, 11:36 AM
fractal - won't insult amy by arguing on her behalf but I will argue for the ongoing, life-time practice of engaging in "conversations with a master"(of one's choice) which occurs in the language/process of "making".

The value - to my mind - is that it feeds into/affects/impacts the conversation ya have with yourself, every time you pick up a brush.

pipicacassosso
09-14-2003, 10:53 AM
Amy, it's an interesting exercise. You defined it very well in your own words. However, I love your original work so much more. Those pastelic (?) obscure birds in those endless fields etc. etc. They make statements that are so much more meaningful. And, of course, like you yourself said, in this process of creating you NEVER ARRIVE. It's a WIP FOREVER.

Mario
09-14-2003, 11:03 AM
Really wowzoh! I like the face table perspective etc etc folds and on and on ..masterpiece!:angel: :evil:

AmyH
09-14-2003, 05:09 PM
thanks for replies all.

painting itself, as a whole, is a work in progress forever; despite being able to carbon copy oneself (I mean that in a good way).

fact is we need to create an illusion of voice in order to sell ourselves (prove we arent there by accident basically). the one we settle into, or on, is contrived. which again, isn't bad. its an exploration, in a "specialized" form. my acrylic heads/birds are just as contrived as this. it just happened that I posted at wc during the period I made them. if I posted eight years back you'd have an entirely different view of "who I am", as do the people who have only see my realism, or my black and white 4x4 oils using black humor.

success as a painter is in the mind. and, in my mind, having choice in how one wants to work is success. choosing to aim for financial success requires being a servant to different things than does choosing to achieve other artistic goals.

my intereset in financial success hopefully will never overide more personal goals. I only strive to get there by a balancing act of both personal growth and "playing the art game". failure, in my mind, would be succumbing to one entirely over the other.

frued was studying chardin recently...its learning and thats always a goal.

arourapope
09-14-2003, 09:09 PM
well, Gurl, ya ser look a dam sight better afta campin than I ever do. Yessuree! :D :D :D

Hey, it's always about reaching and growing and trying new stuff, isn't it? What exactly is someone's style , or their THING (to avoid using such a loaded term) until the entire body of their work is viewed? .... and that can't happen till you quit, or till you die. If you quit, you would never know how far you could go, and no one would really care, prolly.... point would be moot. But if you keep painting, and you wish to evolve, than the things you paint and the way you paint them would have to evolve also. I don't think evolution happens without a bit of experimentation along the way.
I am always overjoyed to watch you grow and stretch, Miss Amyh, because it's always a wonder and you do it with so much class. Keep on keepin on.

jnet11
09-15-2003, 12:41 PM
a strangely refreshing painting, given it's archaic quality. I sense your hand in it still ... nicely done

Gareth
09-15-2003, 02:28 PM
I don't blame you holding back on the seriousley ornate stuff, six months or so of work with a single bristle brush isn't my idea of fun either. Robert Campin is one of my all time favourites and I didn't screw my nose up when this picture loaded, so it's got to be at least acceptable (sorry for sounding like an art snob). It won't ever do you any harm as an artist to try something different from your own norm, even if that "different" comes in the form of replication.

As you said yourself, it's all a work in progress. The ability to be versatile further increases artistic freedom. Like Gar said, another feather for your cap (and that's going to start flapping and fly at this rate).

ZOTMA
09-15-2003, 07:49 PM
very good to see your work up
and hear about what you're up to
you know what's going on with the piece
without reitterating the comings and goings of this thread,
I'm impressed
particularly with the amount of amy flavor in there
feathers flying and all that
thanks for lettin us have a look

muchfoolishness
09-15-2003, 08:02 PM
amyh :) its so refreshing to see someone stretching reaching outside of their comfortable place
and showing and saying
im impressed by the rendering
more that you are interested
most that underneath it all the same soul expands recognisably into the world
hooray for you

ronaldb
09-16-2003, 05:09 AM
no worries mame
i am glad you like his work too :)

kelly
09-17-2003, 12:22 AM
Very different Ms Amy.