PDA

View Full Version : Need your opinions, please

Cyntada
05-23-2013, 02:22 AM
Was considering this piece for the scrap box, but worked it a little further and now it's growing on me. Have gotten enough head-scratching from others to suggest that it's making people think a bit - never a bad thing!

You've seen this before as a work-in-progress that I never finished, now it's taken a rather different form. Some revisions are an option, although it's getting to the point that any big changes are probably going to make it look "worked". Honest opinions desired, if it's just not working I'd rather know now.

So far, the title is "Discovery":

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2013/489581-Discovery_horiz.jpg

It's abstract enough I'm not sure whether to present it horizontal or vertical, so here is the other view. Which is better?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2013/489581-Discovery_vert.jpg

And a detail pic just for good measure:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2013/489581-Discovery_detail.jpg

Thanks, everyone!

Yorky
05-23-2013, 02:53 AM
Shows wonderful technique. I would probably add a strand of seaweed to put it in context.

Doug

Undergoose
05-23-2013, 03:27 AM
I like the vertical better. My eye keeps falling down and to the left on the horizontal one.

Actually, my first thought on the horizontal one was that you have your easel set up ENTIRELY too close to that disgruntled hippopotamus!

Safety first! :p

Very cool textures and I love the cool to warm/top to bottom feel.

pjartwc
05-23-2013, 05:31 AM
Very interesting and well done piece. I would use the 3rd version and crop it even more similar to this:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2013/116333-489581-Discovery_detail.jpg

reikiart
05-23-2013, 10:53 AM
I think Jan's suggestion is right on! Great textures, by the way!

M.L. Schaefer
05-23-2013, 02:20 PM
I like this abstract! I like the second version best. Although they are exactly the same, in the first one I see some sadness (possibly the direction of the strokes?)

Do we get to say what we see? Me, I'm seeing an Owl's eyes or a disgruntled person's eyes.

:heart: Margarete

designingrose
05-23-2013, 03:07 PM
I think this is really cool. I do believe I like the single one the best tho.

CharM
05-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Hiya... what an interesting conundrum... I really like the granulation you've been able to achieve. For me, the first image best describes your title. There seems to be movement in the sand, revealing those little pebbles. I would have preferred the leeward edges of the sand depressions to be just a little softer, but they are fine as is. I also would have liked an odd number of elements, but if you intended to break the *rules*, you did so with aplomb. Please let us know what you decide to do with this composition!

olliewood0702
05-23-2013, 04:28 PM
I agree with what Char said; the granulation is amazing, great work here.

WthrLady
05-23-2013, 05:12 PM
actually, I prefer a crop as the original one I see a creepy alien face with stone eyes. Now that's ALL I can see.

Terranova
05-24-2013, 12:51 AM
I love the colors and the technique! It's wonderful.

I like the horizontal one more, because to me the vertical one looks like a crop of a skull.

Gaby

friesin
05-24-2013, 01:51 AM
I prefer the last one (the crop). It has an even more abstract quality without being too mysterious

Cyntada
05-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Thanks, everyone! :wave:

Considering your (collective) thoughts and looking at the painting a few more days, I think for now I'm going to leave it full-size and horizontal. I'm strongly considering entering it in the county fair's show this year and the cropped version would be too small, although the idea does make me want to paint a separate crater and hang them together.

You're all not alone with the face perception - most of my coworkers were saying the same!

Should have mentioned in the first post, it's a quarter sheet, Arches 140lb Rough. Paints are DS PO48, Maimeri Blu Ultramarine PB29, and Daniel Smith Purpurite which is the source of the granulation. (That, and the water-bottle equivalent of hosing down the paper! Really should have been doing that over the sink ;)). The grains in the Purpurite are so big and heavy, a flood will wash away the fine stuff and the rest flows into the paper's rough "craters" just like beach sand. To my surprise, going over it with more washes didn't move the original "sand" texture as long as I wasn't brushing much. (It had been dry for months at that point, but still....) Dabbing on more juicy paint and spraying hard, simply provided more granulation. Primateks are wonderful for this!

Thanks to each of you for your thoughts. I'll let you know if it gets juried in. This will be my first watercolor entry since my teen years, hopefully it will make it!

sunychka
05-25-2013, 03:20 AM
I like it as it is!
Glad you decided to leave it horizontal!