PDA

View Full Version : Nude Study

Carlsen Highway
05-22-2013, 06:07 PM
Intended as an exercise done from life , in the figure, light and chiaroscuro, but I still wanted it to work as a picture.
Its a simple idea but I am not sure if its too simple to work as a painting

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/Carlsen/nudestudyfinal002_zps84e7786e.jpg

Andrewcody
05-22-2013, 09:29 PM
A reference would be helpful to determine if your dimensions are true, plus the weight of the model on the stool.

Carlsen Highway
05-22-2013, 09:39 PM
It was done from life so I have nothing other than the main drawing, which is the same.
The weight of the model? I could guess I suppose. Two labradors worth? I am not good with weights.

Andrewcody
05-22-2013, 09:44 PM
I meant how she sits on the stool and how her weight is distributed.

Carlsen Highway
05-23-2013, 01:06 AM
Ah. Absent a photo to compare it to, do the dimensions look incorrect to your eye?

Andrewcody
05-23-2013, 02:06 AM
Yes, she is leaning on her left cheek
Which from experience would tend to cause some discomfort
After a short period of time

Carlsen Highway
05-23-2013, 03:25 AM
Maybe that should be the title

Andrewcody
05-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Maybe

Or next time have her face you
Makes for a more interesting study

Debzy
05-27-2013, 10:37 PM
I've never tried a nude study or a portrait from life so I'm not experienced enough to advise or critique. I think you have done a wonderful job. And I love the light and shade. I like the warm colours and simplicity. That's just my opinion, as I say I'm no expert. Cheers =)) Debs.

InTheWoods
07-06-2013, 02:27 AM
What a funny post!
I'm a beginner, but i see so much light on her shoulders, shouldn't it hit her face a little more? ...What is the size? I like all the different colors on the highlights/shadows

thevaliantx
07-19-2013, 06:43 PM
I have NO experience drawing nudes, period, (the wife would take away my art supplies), but in my opinion even if you didn't add more light to the left side of her body, and to the bottom of the chair on the right, it's frame-ready. :thumbsup:

crafor
07-22-2013, 12:49 PM
You say it was intended as an exercise from life. Was it done from life or not?
Proportionally, I believe the torso is too short from the waist up. The waist line should be a bit lower than it is.
The way the light hits confuses me. I think the strong light on her left thigh would be seen at least a little on her calf, and on that back leg muscle, showing a bit lighter than what you have. Same with a bit of lightness on the left breast in front of her arm.
The strong light playing on her right side should also be seen on the raised portions of the left side of her back and probably a bit more over the roundness of the buttocks. Google "bargue plates and go to http://www.google.com/search?q=bargue+plates&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=2mDtUeLOEaKTyQH7soAY&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=952&bih=768
If you scroll about half way down, you'll see in the middle section, the classical torso to give you some shading information. The light is not exactly the same, but using it as a reference, can help you in this.
For what you have here, it's a very good start.
Hope this helps.
Ella