PDA

View Full Version : New Watercolor Tutorials

scottb
04-13-1999, 05:56 PM
Hello all!

Be sure to stop in and see Ellen Fountain's two newest tutorials - as always, they are incredible!

In these installments, she covers sedimentary pigments and stenciling.

Cheers.
Scott

RogerPf
04-28-2005, 04:14 AM
I know I am being silly, but this is just a bit of fun. :)

Is this the oldest thread in the Watercolor forum?

From time to time old threads get woken up and swell to the top. So I thought I would see how old I could go. Its actually much harder to find the oldest one than you would expect thread 1111 is two years younger that this one, thread 1318.

If I had a magic wand and could make one change to Wet Canvas it would be for threads to become closed after some period of not having any new messages added to them. A years limit would (to me) be a minimum and three months even better.

It would still be easy to reference the old work, you just start a new thread and in the first post put a link to the old thread and say.

"Two years ago we were talking about the '.......' these days I think...."

To me resurrecting old threads with messages on the end is like buying the daily newspaper and finding that you have twenty years of old news to wade through first. It's worse, to make any real sense you have to inspect the dates to see where the discontinuities in time are so much work required [Sigh].

Please, Please this is ABSOLUTELY not a critique of anyone's conduct who resurrects very old threads. Anyone is allowed to do it and they should if they want. IMO it is the system that should change and not allow it.

So until my wish is granted we are all free to play the "Oldest Thread in Watercolor" game. Can you beat this one. :)

--
Roger Pf

Yorky
04-28-2005, 05:12 AM
Can't see your point about old threads, Roger - why keep reinventing the wheel?

Factual information doesn't necessarily change as it gets older.

Doug

laudesan
04-28-2005, 08:59 AM
Doug I totally agree. I was going to say the same thing.

Why bother then to do a wip or whatever, if after 12 months it is to become defunct???

We ALL volunteer our time and our efforts here, adn our threads should be readily accessable any tie someone does a search for them. This is a teaching site after all.. :)

Sorry Roger but I don't agree..;)

JJ

Fabulous
04-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Sorry Roger,
I also don't agree.

Wetcanvas is probably the largest knowledge-base about watercolors existing in the world.

It has an uncompareable value for those who are new and who want to learn from what others have already discussed in the past.

And more: it shows the artistic history of tens of us! You can see the artistic evolution of many people, what and how they were painting 2-3 years ago, what they have learnt, how virtual relationships have become deeper through commenting each other's paintings, it shows the soul of this Community has developed...

We live in a world that seems keen on burning dayly its own roots just for the sake of running towards the future. Let's avoid that Wetcanvas goes in the same direction...

Friendly,
Fabrizio

RogerPf
04-28-2005, 09:27 AM
Why bother then to do a wip or whatever, if after 12 months it is to become defunct???

We ALL volunteer our time and our efforts here, and our threads should be readily accessible any tie someone does a search for them. This is a teaching site after all.. :)

JJ, Doug & Fabrizio -
looks like I have again failed to make myself clear (which MUST be my fault). Threads should, of course never be defunct. Let me try to be clearer. My suggestion is that -

If a thread has had NO new messages added to it in say the last 12 months then it would AUTOMATICALLY become READ ONLY

Of course we can still read it - learn form it ... reference it. But we should not be allowed to just add to it. The thread should be considered part of the rich history of Wetcanvas not part of it's living tissue.

The thing that keeps tripping me up is I start to read an interesting conversation in a new thread in say general and start to formulate my response when suddenly I see that it was all three years ago!!! IMO I should come with an old Thread warning. :) :)

Question - do want people to be able re-open this thread (for writing, i.e. appending replies) in 5 years time or 10 years time or 100 years time. ! Crazy

Thanks for reading my little soap box rant. I do know that in the scheme things it is not important. :) :)

--
Roger Pf

artmom
04-28-2005, 11:07 AM
LOL, Roger! :D

Having fallen for the "old thread risen to the top" act, I sympathize with you. However, I see no need to close the threads. I've learned to check the date on each thread before I "click" on it! It becomes a habit after a while.

If you are really serious about this, you can put a request in on the WC! Site Discussion Forum and see what the powers that be say. :)

Lyn

Starsprite
04-28-2005, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I can see your point Roger. Especially in the Gallery, when an old painting is brought back up by someone responding to it.... takes up space on the first page that should be for new paintings to be commented/critiqued on. Can be a little irritating to me.

Fabulous
04-28-2005, 12:29 PM
Well,

I hope I am not getting enemies here... but: I find the mechanism of "go back to the top if somebody has just replied to it" a quite wise mechanism.

Good things will be always pushed to the top.
And if they come back after one or two year, they were for sure excellent!

It sounds to me like a time-proof mark for quality...

Just my 2 cents worth opinion

Fab

Starsprite
04-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Fab..are you ready for a sparring match? LOL Just kidding!!! :D :wink2:

I don't think we have a real problem with this to warrant changing the way WC handles old threads...just saying that sometimes (and it's usually one or two people's threads) when they habitually get bumped up to the top in the Gallery (usually by their friends), is kind of irritating to me. Maybe it's just me though.

Brian Barnes
04-28-2005, 01:53 PM
Roger -- I totally agree with your point of view on this. Just so you know, I understood what you were saying from the outset. Your communication is just fine. :)

I must take note of a thread's dates before posting a reply. I've been tripped up by that too but caught myself. Never happened to me yet but I can just see someone making suggestions for a change to a painting done several years ago by an artist asking for help at that time. :(

BrianB

juneto
04-29-2005, 03:30 AM
Also agree with Roger and Brian . New Thread , should be a New Thread . Put it somewhere else.
June

Johnnie
04-29-2005, 09:50 AM
And Yumpin Yimminie..

Look at all the comments and replies that this OLD thread has accumulated tin a couple of days..

I spoz it aint OLD ANYMORE LOL

Nice to see an oldie rejuvinated be it a thread or and old car..lol.. Need help to rejuvinate this old body,, all help and donations glady accepted.. :wink2:

Johnnie

deezlodawg
06-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Don't worry about the magic wands. He didn't allocate enough inodes to handle anything more than 6 years-worth.

FriendCarol
06-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Perhaps it would be appropriate for a few forums -- just those in which persons post paintings. I'm not sure if other media forums have separate galleries, like the w/c Gallery, though.

A short list in which 'automatic closing' might well be appropriate would be:
- WIP Subforum of Open Critiques (6-12 months? some oil paintings go very slowly, with traditional techniques!),
- Open Critiques (3 months), and
- W/C Gallery (3 months).
Implementing the automatic closing sounds like a programming chore, though; doubt it's an option where Kerri could just 'flip a switch' for a particular forum. :(

deezlodawg, I happened to notice you had raised a very, very old thread of ScottB's in Abs/Con forum today. Are you by any chance having a look 'round the site, evaluating technical issues?

lpb
06-05-2005, 06:59 PM
If you don't want to see old threads, you can set set a time limit in MY WC! under options:
Default Thread Age Cut Off
You may specify a time period from which to display threads. Threads older than the age you specify will not be shown. There is drop down box in which you can select the age of threads you want to see.

Johnnie
06-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Well Lorraine I did not know that and that really does solve the problem for those who feel resurecting an old HOW TO is not the thing to do..

Thanks a lot for pointing that out.. Good stuff

Johnnie

vedanthi
06-14-2006, 01:14 AM
Can any body tell me where I can find the tutorials of George Simmons. Once upon a time I stumbled onto his site with tutorial demo on "How to Paint a Barn". I cant find it any more from my old link.
Let me know if any body can find his site for me.
Thanks

Yorky
06-14-2006, 03:40 AM
I just did a Google and found his site here (http://www.artshow.com/resources/painting.html) Goutan.

Dog

Woodsy
06-27-2006, 04:25 AM
Hi Goutan,
A good place to find dead websites is the Internet Archive (http://www.archive.org). If you know the dead site's URL there's a good chance you'll be able to retrieve it here. They have the Barn Demo archived here (http://web.archive.org/web/20041010142553/artistwc.home.mindspring.com/barndemo.htm).
Al.

Europa
06-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks for that link Al - I have never heard of that site - what a brilliant idea and its free too.....lol

Pat