PDA

View Full Version : Down the River

Flycatcher10
05-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Oil Pastel
11x14: gessoed hardboard w/acrylic underpainting

Working with inspiration from an image of a darkened forested river area, I changed the scene bringing light in from the background casting mid-morning sunlight throughout the mid-ground and onto the river.

All C&C are welcome. Thanks, Mary
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2013/974094-Down_the_River_..._final.jpg

reference image was from pmp

DLT
05-20-2013, 10:31 PM
I really like this piece. The only suggestion I can make is to slow down the journy through the painting. You have a bright light line center from top to bottom. I would suggest that the water never run a straight or be centered at all.

Flycatcher10
05-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Thanks for your comments and feedback Donna, will keep them in mind. Appreciate it.

Pat Isaac
05-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Lovely backlight, Mary. The land mass in the foreground on the left doesn't seem as if it is sitting in the water. I like the brush details.

Pat

Dougwas
05-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Your painting has a nice soft look to it and I really like the effect of the light coming from the back. Good job.

Doug

Yannse
05-23-2013, 02:00 PM
This is lovely painting, I like the light! Good job'

Flycatcher10
05-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Hi Pat: Thanks for commenting. I know exactly what area you are referring too and when I was finishing up the painting I had a feeling I should have worked the left-foreground just a bit more and even possibly extend the land to the left-side of the painting. I think I'll go back in and do just that - thanks!

Hi Doug: thanks for your feedback! The reference image had no light coming in from the back and it just felt like the scene should of had the soft infused light radiating from the back. Glad you like it.

Hi Jiemin: Thank you! Appreciate your nice comments and encouragement!