PDA

View Full Version : first attempt painting in panpastels, WIP

ezk80
05-20-2013, 02:34 PM
Hi everybody,
This is my very first attempt in portrait and the second painting I have ever did in any kind of medium. So i am a little bit excited :) I decided to start painting almost a year ago and bought some stuff but did nothing other than watch and read whatever i found on the internet. Finally two days ago i gave myself a chance to start painting. That is the result :) I would really appreciate your comments.

panpastels on pastelmat

p.s. english is not my native language sorry for any kind of errors

robbieowens
05-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Hi, its very good considering its only your second attempt - I've never used pan pastels but I can imagine they are more difficult to use for detailed work.

One thing that sticks out to me, is the direction of the eyebrow hair, it appears to go in several directions

ezk80
05-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Thank you very much. I am not happy with the eyebrows. His eyebrows are very complicated for me. I painted it quite dark at first and then i used a pastel pencil (white :( )to lighten it up to show more skin. I don't know why i picked a pencil instead of using more skin color and add details later. Also white is not the right choice but i do not have a lot of pastel pencils right now. The direction. I tried to paint it as it is. They are going up and down and a little triangle in the middle :) I guess it is quite unique to him.

pastel lover
05-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Excellent.

Tanja

Dea
05-21-2013, 12:36 AM
I think this is very good for your second painting. I hope to see many more :)
Deanna

Pat71
05-21-2013, 02:49 AM
Good start with the pastels. Watched a lot on YouTube but i learn most from the mistakes a make and too Much layers. Fun to learn painting with this medium. This is a really good forum to learn.

chuas2
05-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Excellent first pastel and welcome! You'll learn a lot from the people here, everyone is helpful and non-judgmental, we're ALL learning.

The best thing you can do is keep working!
Cheers,
Kris
:wave: