PDA

View Full Version : Starting an Izmir Sketch Group

diamondsutra
05-20-2013, 05:38 AM
Oh wow, I am quite excited here. I have been feeling a bit secluded and down the past 2-3 weeks, kind of a funk. We all have funks periodically. My (now ex) girlfriend and I broke up like 2 months ago and she took off for the States, I've been adjusting to a new life. Anyhow, on a whim I posted to the Izmir couchsurfing (international website for travelers, local communities, etc) for people who may want to paint with me. I got a big response! I decided I want to take the momentum and make a sketch group that meets every couple of weeks. My vision is to pick locations around town to meet, maybe members can take turns choosing. People are all different skill levels, maybe we could use different media, learn from each other. Finish up each session with drinks and dinner. I am really excited about this.

Lesson of the day - Instead of moping about not having an artistic community here, I am trying to gather one. Be the change you want to see in the world!

painterbear
05-20-2013, 05:47 AM
Sounds like a great way to explore the city and your art and meet new people with similar interests, Josh.

A valuable lesson learned as well, rather than sit around feeling sorry for yourself, get up and do something!!!! :thumbsup:

Sylvia

diamondsutra
05-20-2013, 06:02 AM
Yes!! Well put Sylvia! I know better but seem to forget periodically ;x

Yorky
05-20-2013, 09:56 AM
What a great idea, sort of an Urban Sketchers group. Hope it goes well.

Doug

olliewood0702
05-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Good news for you Josh; you'll have a wonderful learning experience and also create one for your fellow sketchers. This group sounds like a great idea best of luck with it.

villagernb
05-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Fantastic idea, Josh! Hope you meet lots of interesting new people and make a whole new group of friends.

It's one thing to have this idea, but takes a lot of strength to act on it! Three cheers for you!

Please keep us posted on how things go. We are nosey!

Anne

MaMuffin
05-20-2013, 03:39 PM
sounds like a lot of fun! hope it all goes well :)

laudesan
05-20-2013, 07:03 PM
Go for it Josh. Sketching around the city can be a heap of fun. Record some of the historical buildings. :) You are in the most beautiful City in Turkey.

pjartwc
05-21-2013, 04:32 AM
Fantastic idea, Josh! What fun!