PDA

View Full Version : Girl with a Pearl Earring after Johannes Vermeer

John Palmer Fine Art
05-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Hi all, this is something I have wanted to attempt for quite a while. I have deliberately made this a dark version. Size approx. 290mm x 390mm painted on paste card with mostly Unisons and pastel pencils. Thanks for looking, John.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2013/123047-GIRL_WITH_A_PEARL_EARRING_ADJ_SMALL_WATERMARKED_IMG_3363.jpg

chuas2
05-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Oh my, beautiful work John! One of my favorite paintings. Wonderful work, love it!!
Kris:clap:

pastel lover
05-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Also one of my favorites. You have represented her superbly. Love it.

Tanja

Dea
05-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Very nicely done,
Deanna

Pat71
05-20-2013, 04:59 AM
Nice work! Have to visit her Some day, also waiting for the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam to become less crowded after the grand opening last Month after 10 years of renovation.they have super website now almost all the old masters in super high quality. You have a Nice website too, just made a visit to it. Gr

ianos dan
05-20-2013, 05:08 AM
John Palmer Fine Art: l saw a lot of copies after this painting ,but you have made the right contrast!Good job
One small objection: the skin of the girl has to be pink ,not yellow.Put your hands next to the painting ,and see the difference.the yellow hue is the result of the varnish ,not the true color under:)
Besides that ,you must know that the people from Netherlands,and for that area,have more pale skin. Keep that in mind.
Good job!

John Palmer Fine Art
05-20-2013, 08:12 AM
Kris, Tanja, Deanna, Pat & ianos - thank you all very much for your very nice words.
Ianos although I did put a yellow glaze over the right hand facial tones it seems a little too strong in this picture which I took under artificial light so I have taken another picture in daylight which follows this post, it's more representative of my original I appreciate your comments, thanks!

John Palmer Fine Art
05-20-2013, 08:15 AM
New photo attempt!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2013/123047-GIRL_WITH_A_PEARL_1_SMALL_IMG_3365.jpg

chuas2
05-20-2013, 12:44 PM
I just watched a documentary that showed the "Mona Lisa" without the varnish, and a whole new woman popped out (da Vinci is whirling in his grave I'm sure).

I loved the first photo, but this one is breathtaking! She looks some sadder than Vermeer's...Just wondering why you chose this beautiful, enigmatic and mysterious portrait.

John Palmer Fine Art
05-20-2013, 01:07 PM
Hi Kris thanks for having another look, it really does make you wonder how even more incredible the works of the old masters would have been when just completed. I have always loved the Dutch painters with their incredible use of light and dark and I chose this particular portrait to copy because along with the beautiful sitter, the turban has always drawn me in. Goes without saying, the turban was the easy bit ........ couldn't quite capture the sparkle in the eyes. :(

sketchZ1ol
05-20-2013, 05:50 PM
hello
a dedicated effort !

to understand the approach/techniques with oils ,
and then ' adapt ' with pastel is most challenging .

then again , there are some things that can be done only with pastel ...

Ed

pastel65
05-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Wonderful. :clap: Pam

John Palmer Fine Art
05-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Ed - Thank you very much, it was an interesting process and I learned a lot from the experience.

Pam - Thanks, appreciate it!