PDA

View Full Version : Serene Lake Trail - I want to be done now. :P

Undergoose
05-19-2013, 03:53 PM
I wanted something to allow me to practice 'rigging' with my bigger sable rounds, and figured I'd kill two birds with one stone by practicing painting on an easel instead of flat.

I'm ready to be done practicing now...it's becoming kind of a shoulder workout!

Still have some work to do on the top, woohoo for more limbs and branches!

The bottom needs a few details. I need to define the tree roots on the left a little better, or make the shadows deeper. I also don't really like the repetition of the rocks on the lower right, but I'm not scrubbing them out again. heh...I've already gone through the surface in a couple spots.

Arches CP 140# (11x15)
M. Graham, Sennelier, Maimeri, Holbein, and I think there' a DaVinci in there somewhere...

C&C appreciated

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2013/1234321-SereneLakeTrail01_800.jpg

Yorky
05-19-2013, 04:20 PM
You doing a great job so far Karl.

Doug

janinco
05-19-2013, 08:24 PM
Nice mix of greens! I just started working on an easel and I found that if the area I'm painting is below shoulder level it's a lot easier on the joint. So I either stand or if I'm sitting I let the legs of the easel down so that they're quite low. I haven't tried a maulstick but I think that would help, too. I have chronic dislocation of my right shoulder which makes it difficult!

The setting reminds me of an area in Rocky Mountain National Park that my daughter and I call the Ewok Forest. It's really like something out of a fairy tale.

Jan

pjartwc
05-20-2013, 04:14 AM
Very nice painting. I usually paint with paper flat as I paint very wet - but this give a whole new experience. Your paint seems to stay where it should!

Undergoose
05-20-2013, 05:27 AM
Very nice painting. I usually paint with paper flat as I paint very wet - but this give a whole new experience. Your paint seems to stay where it should!

LOL...I usually paint flat, too, lots of water. When I first started this, key things kept falling off of the paper onto my shoes and lap (I'm using a desk easel and sitting down).

The main reason I went vertical is to get a better angle for my webcam so mom can watch on Skype as I paint. I had a giant tripod straddling my computer tower and monitor, with a couple of yardsticks, one of my vacuum cleaner tubes, a bunch of rubber bands/velcro/tape holding my webcam looking down onto my flat work surface.

Every time I stood up I was hitting my head on the contraption. Now I've got it a little more manageable.

One big upside to the webcam painting is I can put it up on my second monitor and compare it to my reference photos while I'm painting. I've also found it useful to use the camera to 'mirror' the image (flipped left for right), which is helpful to assess and adjust composition balance and such.

Here's a pic of my disaster area in its current evolution (along with a great pic of Bones, my painting buddy-slash-potential perpetual source of the coveted Karlinski Sable brushes that I'm considering making :lol:):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2013/1234321-MyStudioSmall.jpg

kayakartist
05-20-2013, 07:37 AM
Very nice...like the bg trees...cozy studio set-up...

olliewood0702
05-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Karl, it's just BEAUTIFUL, very lovely greens, what a difficult scene to paint and you are doing a fantastic job. I love your studio mate(Bones)...so cute!:thumbsup: That is so nice of you to video tape your painting sessions for your Mom.:thumbsup:

Brindle
05-20-2013, 05:13 PM
Lovely painting ... I love to see others' studios, too so that was fun. Your studio assistant is very cute. I got a chuckle out of "Karlinski sable" ... I hear that!!!