PDA

View Full Version : Once Upon A Time ...

thevaliantx
05-19-2013, 06:18 AM
I'm going to borrow Donna's idea of posting as many paintings as I can, and TRY and let the journey be my motivation to show the world what I see. I'll start with two that I worked on, starting at 11pm last night. They are in Oil Pastel, both of them done on 11x14 Strathmore Pastel paper. Is there a paper / other medium that you recommend that I use?

Both paintings are from photos I took in my town of Berry, Kentucky. The first painting, of the barn from the viewpoint of looking through a fence, was with the Holbein Artist's Oil Pastels The second one was done with Sennelier Artist Quality Oil Pastels. This is my first time using either!

C & C Welcome!

Dougwas
05-19-2013, 11:26 PM
Great idea to paint and post all your efforts. I am new to oil pastels, but I just used Art Spectrum Colourfix primer on watercolour paper. My next attempt will be clear gesso applied to watercolour paper. I understand that the clear gesso has a grit to it. From reading threads here it looks like you can use pretty any kind of paper you want, depending on the look you are going for.

Have fun experimenting.

Doug

Pat Isaac
05-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Great idea, Tom. I do like the barn painting best.
Colorfix paper is a good one to use though a bit pricey. Putting a layer of clear gesso on other papers works well also as Doug said.
Thos challenges are really good and do help improve your skills. I did one this past January of birds...30 paintings in 30 days. I managed to get 24 done and found it extremely helpful.

Pat

Flycatcher10
05-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Nice beginning to your oil pastels Tom, I like your scene in the first painting. Glad to see your first results and with many more to share with us!!

Personally I am not fond of using Strathmore pastel papers, as I found the tooth way too large for my desire of outcome. I agree with Pat and Doug, using at the very least a 140# watercolor paper with several coats of clear gesso will give you a wonderful teeth and surface to paint - your Holbeins and Senneliers OPs will work real well on this surface.

Looking forward to more of your paintings!

thevaliantx
05-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Mary, thanks for the compliment :) Is there any way to get around having to put the gesso on? It just sort of seems like a hack to me, and too much work before the work. ;)

Next time around I'm going to draw .... lightly .... everything onto the surface and then work from back to front with the color .... something I learned on some oil pastel website yesterday.

I'm also thinking of trying something really loose or 'impressionistic' (if I even have a clue what that is, lol) .... though my personality is a controlling one. Might not work. :lol:

Frostie
05-30-2013, 03:56 AM
Great start. Looking forward to seeing your progress. There is nothing better than practice improve your skills. Great idea to experiment with different styles.
Helen