PDA

View Full Version : A Garden Muse

crazywoman53
05-18-2013, 10:16 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2013/137465-Garden-of-my-Muse.jpg 11 11 x 14

I've been off the easel for about three months now. I feel so rusty and yet glad to be able to get in touch with my muse again. It was hiding in the garden the whole time while I settled some life interrupting issues. Anyway... please feel free to c/c as much as you'd like I need to dust the cob webs off the ole brain.

DBfarmgirl
05-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Welcome back to the easel!
Wow. I love the riot of color, looks like my Mom's garden in June. vibrant but peaceful.

Donna T
05-18-2013, 04:08 PM
This is so pretty - it's easy to see how much gardens inspire you!

trailrider
05-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Beautiful!

toniov
05-18-2013, 08:42 PM
Beautiful ! colors in harmony.

Dcam
05-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Bursting with color. Nice way to set off the brights with grays.:)

Derek

pastel65
05-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Beautiful colors and great painting. :clap: Pam

Theodorablau
05-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Eye candy!! Gorgeous colours:clap:

jackiesimmonds
05-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Can I add a note of dissent without being too unpopular?

For me, this image is a bit TOO chaotic from a colour point of view. A garden full of cultivated plants can be a bit like a kaleidoscope - mother nature knows how to combine colours well, but gardeners tend to put too many colour together all at once. (Well, some do...Monet didn't.)

For me this image is tonally very samey....you can check this by making it greyscale....

and colour-wise, there is a distinct split across the centre diagonally, giving us top left, analagous colour, and bottom right, colour complements. It also splits temperature-wise too...hot top half, cool bottom half. Too much 50/50 for my eye.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2013/1805-garden_muse_5050.jpg

It is my belief that you would have a stronger image if you decided on a DOMINANT colour theme, lets say, for example, the top half.....and perhaps used a tiny touch of colour complements to attract attention at a focal area. This is a section from the top half, mostly analagous colours from one side of the colour wheel, with a smaller area of blue set right alongside some bright orange, so our eye goes there automatically. It is still too samey tonally, but it makes the point about a dominant colour theme:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2013/1805-garden_muse_crop_1.jpg

I daresay this will bring about roars of disapproval from those who love this picture...but it is food for thought for you! Which should get rid of any cobwebs, for sure!

sketchZ1ol
05-19-2013, 06:22 PM
hello
interesting post from Jackie .
> on my screen , the yellows are warm and strong ,
so my eye doesn't run away entirely to the upper ' diagonal ' .

Derek's post makes sense as well ;
gray can become the ' conductor ' so to speak ,
and lead the eye thru the colours and the scene .

my comment ;
first look is lots of ' dots ' of colour , so , it sums up flat .

from what you write , knockin' some sticks on a surface -

:thumbsup:

more , more ! :)

Ed

crazywoman53
05-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. Jackie I appreciate your critique. Now that you point it out the diagonal is very obvious. So I went back to the easel with this one. I'll see if I can't work out some of your suggestions and repost later.

crazywoman53
05-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Ed I guess we cross posted.. thanks for taking the time to comment.. and I hope follow up.. it doesn't pay to not paint for extended time periods, I can say that much.

jackiesimmonds
05-20-2013, 02:24 AM
Actually, it can pay to take a rest, Christine....because ideas percolate. But it can take a little time to get back up to full steam. You are all ready well on your way, enjoy the journey!

Funny how screens differ. On my screen, the yellows are really very acid and cool.

Only Christine knows exactly what's what.

Jackie

John Palmer Fine Art
05-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Very nice painting, so colourful!

crazywoman53
05-20-2013, 07:33 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2013/137465-Garden-of-my-Muse.jpg

Ok.. I took most of the yellow out. As usual when I do a painting 90% from my head I have to do and redo till it seems right. Then after I photograph it and look again I once again see things that need minor tweeks. Some of course are not as bad as they appear in the photo as it always changes some colors making them darker or stronger than they really are in the original. But it makes me think and learn and I think I like the challenge of working out of my head rather than just following a photograph all the time.

Anyway... here is round two.. better or worse????

Thanks for commenting John..:)

chuas2
05-20-2013, 07:50 PM
I like the revision, but also Jackie's crop. No roars of disapproval here at any rate.

Looks like you added some green on the bottom right, which I really like, although it's hard to tell since the photographs look almost different in hue (all over).

It's a very brave painting, and I admire the way you plunged in and did it either way, with all of that gorgeous riotous colour!
Kris

crazywoman53
05-24-2013, 02:11 PM
It is so difficult to get a good photo of this.. but after looking....made some more adjustments yet again... think this is the final. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2013/137465-Garden-of-my-Muse.jpg

sketchZ1ol
05-24-2013, 02:23 PM
hello
very strong sense of a patch of sunlight now !
> might trim/crop 20% off bottom and right edge ,
but some ' sunspots ' in that ' L ' might be some ' weave/dance ' with this HxW/frame .

just a thought . :)

Ed

crazywoman53
05-24-2013, 06:53 PM
Thanks Ed... can't crop this, it's panel. Not sure what you mean by the "L" putting sunspots wouldn't be objectionable.. just not sure where you are talking about.

Donna T
05-24-2013, 06:57 PM
I get a much stronger sense of sunlight now too. I don't know why but it also seems to have more depth. Nice changes to an already nice piece!

crazywoman53
05-25-2013, 11:15 AM
I softened some of the background to give it more depth. The bright purple in the background is not anywhere near as bright as it is showing on my computer. Thanks Donna.

barriespapa
05-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Hi Christine It is so interesting to read all the ideas from various artists. I thought your first effort was just great . Until I read Jackies comments. Now I have to agree the finished product is much better, after a few very constructive critiques
David

sketchZ1ol
05-26-2013, 01:33 PM
hello
sorry to be unclear .

by squinting at the painting , the sunlit area seems to be a rectangle with a border of the top and left frame , so ,
the unlit area , a thick ' L ' shape , lying on it's side , is bordered by the bottom and right frame .
> cover the pink blossoms with your thumb to make it even more obvious .

i'm sending a pm with screen capture of the mckinley item , just in case you haven't found it .

Ed

crazywoman53
05-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Thanks David..:)

Ed.. I saw your PM before reading this here.. I see what you mean now. I wasn't thinking broad enough I guess. Will consider some sunlight spots after I study this some more. Thank you for taking time to get through my thick skull. C.